IMG_5411 (resized).jpg
IMG_9571 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2635 (resized).JPG
IMG_2634 (resized).JPG
IMG_2633 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1360 Video of one solution to sticky flippers. Posted by HurryUpPinball (2 years ago)

Post #3169 Minimizing electrical interference issues Posted by brado426 (2 years ago)

Post #5287 Some spare parts Posted by Baggerman (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mr_Outlane.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1203 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Is that a solid block of wood in the backbox supporting the speakers/monitor??

Looks like several layers of MDF. Doubles as a mount for display and speakers. That would add some weight though.

#1211 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Game overall is not heavy, especially for a wide body.

Good, because my Hobbit Smaug is almost like moving a small piano!

#1237 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Hobbit must be one of the heaviest games ever made. Not only is it a widebody, but there is just so much shit packed on to that playfield. Is there any modern game with more drop targets?

LOL! That's for sure!!
That and those four beast head pop-ups. That's a lot of metal! And just lifting the playfield is something to experience! I'm sure there's some older folks and women who just can't! I know my wife probably couldn't!

#1238 2 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Meh, the Elvira I got a year ago had very few issues compared to the ones people are getting now.

Really?
That's interesting!
What changed?

#1277 2 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

So another note, every new game I get the first thing I do is replace the stock balls with Ball Baron carbon balls and this was no exception, but this was a strange thing, after I got off the call with PB, I played a game and I noticed that the balls were not seating correctly in the trough, this caused a lot of problems with balls not being fed for multiball, to balls not being detected drained and a never ending Sentry Guns mode. I took the Ball Baron balls out and replaced them with the stock ones and the game played normally, balls dropping in the trough as they should. I'm really scratching my head on this one. I checked the diameter of the stock compared to Ball Baron and they are identical. Unless the stock balls are somewhat heavier I'm completely lost as to why the others wouldn't work. I have asked PB if there is a difference in their balls as this could cause some headaches down the line when it's time to change the balls.

FYI, when I first got my Alice Cooper pin, I changed out the stock balls with the Pinball Life ones and after a time I started having this intermittent problem with balls not setting down in the trough. Turned out to be magnetized balls. There had been a defective batch at that time, and I got a bad set. Changed them out and never had another problem.

#1364 2 years ago

All I can say is WOW! Awesome pin! Spectacular in fact!!
It was a real thrill to play and I see huge potential once the code and mechanical issues are worked out. I don't believe anything on this pin is a deal breaker. Most issues I could adjust or fix. And I'm positive that PB Bros (given their apparent display of concern) will perfect this game! I can't wait to play it again!!

#1366 2 years ago

I increased power to lower flippers 20% and it helped. But I experienced the sticking flipper problem above on several occasions.
* I don't own the game yet but a friend does.

#1373 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Not sure how the new game plays but my old LE is phenomenal and once these issues get squared away I’m sure you’ll agree

Yes, I had the pleasure of playing the original Alien at Ann Arbor pinball museum and it was an incredible machine! Only got one game off as there was a big line, but got to watch a lot!

#1394 2 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

FedEx my favorite shipper …. Not! Machine was supposed to be delivered today, it was 2 hours away in upstate NewYork , now it’s in friggin Arkansas [quoted image]

Well, they delivered my ACNC with no box or legs/hardware, and not strapped down to the pallet and it tipped over and rolled around in the back of the truck. When he opened the door, there is was lying on the floor wrapped in shrink wrap and totaled! The driver tried to tell me it came from the factory this way! Of course I didn't sign for it. But, spooky got a new pin out to me right away. Pinball Star said they had never seen that before. Apparently somewhere along the way it got scavenged. I can't believe they delivered it to me like that!

#1456 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Thanks delt31 for the detailed review.
You mentioned you hate the lockdown bar, can you elaborate? Is it the way it latches or the feel when you're playing?
Also have you done the s/w upgrade? As brado426 indicated that after the upgrade he found the tongue moves faster at startup and isn't as loud

The way it latches. It feels like any solid lock down bar. Minor issue IMO.

#1498 2 years ago

Go to www.superskillshot.com and check his Alien Start and Launch buttons!

#1500 2 years ago
Quoted from brado426:

Wow! That looks pretty cool! I conveniently forgot to tell my wife that $7,777 was only the beginning. hahaha

Ya, my buddy just bought the start button. I hope he posts a pic of it soon.

#1502 2 years ago
Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:

well I guess I can start buying my mod now....lol.....gonna get both....why not..haha

I would!

#1505 2 years ago
Quoted from cleanandlevel:

here are pics and a link to the start and launch buttons
https://superskillshot.com/search?q=alien
[quoted image][quoted image]

Can't wait to see it installed!

#1516 2 years ago

Ordered and dont even have a machine.....addicts.

YUP!

#1521 2 years ago

What else you got ordered?

I didn't order these, my friend did and I plan to buy his standard when he gets his LE.

But I did just order his Hobbit arkenstone mods and shooter rod as well as his shooter rod for Hotwheels.

#1522 2 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Anyone have the bottom pop bumper bounce the ball continuously into the rubber ring forever? Am I missing a post?[quoted image]

Yup! We've seen that too. It's cool! It doesn't happen too often, but occasionally.

#1538 2 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

I went ahead and put a post in there which not only fixed it but also has the added bonus of the ball bouncing into the chestburster lane a lot more frequently.

Could you post a pic of this post installation?

#1542 2 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Adjusted right orbit to deliver ball to right flipper instead of sling (moved rail out 1/4” and drilled new hole, plugged old one)

Please post a pic of this also. If you would be so kind?

#1548 2 years ago

Probably too so to tell, but so far, no pooling and chipping on PB Alien! That's something I can't tolerate.

#1556 2 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Here's one of the reasons I plunked down a deposit, these playfields look impenetrable!
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=874644590025528

My Buthamburg F-14 repro playfiled was bullet proof, but I did let it cure for 6 months before installing it. I know there have been dimples with Alien, but not craters that I'm aware of. So normal!
Could it be that the dimples show up more on Alien because it's so dark?

#1577 2 years ago

We all do that!
You may as well order an assorted set of metric hardware for it anyway. You'll need it eventually!

#1597 2 years ago
Quoted from brado426:

FYI, I just noticed that the start game button is getting warm. Tested the voltage and it is 12V. The bulb that comes in the Alien button is 5V. Oops! Well, I'll order some 12V bulbs... just thought I'd mention it so others can avoid that mistake.

Let Bill know about the voltage!

#1598 2 years ago

I absolutely love how they did the speaker grills on the back box! They look like eggs.

#1607 2 years ago

No buy in button on remake. I'd miss that.

#1609 2 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

just set it to 4 balls instead of 3 then

But, my pinball friends don't like when I do that!

Hwy P.B.?? Give us a Co-Op mode! It's super fun. I had it on my ACNC. Great feature!!

#1628 2 years ago

Craig streams the new 2.2 code update for Pinball Brothers Alien

#1629 2 years ago

Have any of you owners tried reducing the flipper sensitivity yet? I would like to have this machine less sensitive as I'm not used to this. I was thinking possibly increasing the gap on the flipper leafs?

#1658 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

Yes it’s an awsome mod . Just don’t know if makes them again tho

I PM'd him. Here's his response...

Hi, I'm trying to source a large batch of displays but there's a shortage and a long lead time for them.
So I will place you on the list and be in contact later .
It will, I'm afraid, be a while.
Cost would roughly be £150 UK GBP delivered.

#1695 2 years ago

LOL! I waited 18 months for Alice Cooper!

#1697 2 years ago

Order a HorWheels, best bang for the buck and supper fun, well built and great customer support! Ferret's on the job 24/7!!

#1701 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Where can I buy this HorWheels pin, sounds great.
[quoted image]

Nice Pic!! Worthy of hanging in my cave!

#1730 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Where can I buy this HorWheels pin, sounds great.
[quoted image]

I ordered mine form Pinball Star

https://www.pinballstar.com/

#1732 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

[quoted image]

Awe! Horwheels!

#1749 2 years ago

I loved the GITD on my ACNC!
Never tried them under UV. That would be stellar! But UV does cause color fade, so don't leave it on when not playing game.

#1755 2 years ago

HurryUpPinball - Alien - Pinball Brothers Jul 28, 2021

#1798 2 years ago

I waited 18 months for my ACNC!
And then sold it after 18 months.

#1805 2 years ago
Quoted from fsumassey:

What made you sell it?

It was too hard! Shots are so tight on that game that I could never nail the orbits or ramps anywhere near consistently. My friends that come over and play couldn't either. But, like me they loved the co-op mode and music, art, animations and sheer awesomeness of the haunted world under glass and atmosphere that it has. Also, best upper playfield in pinball! After 18 months, no noticeable dimples on the playfield! Shit, I'm already regretting selling it now!

#1822 2 years ago

Anyone else concerned about future availability of circuit boards for this pin? What is the board system called, and who makes it?

#1830 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

It doesn't really matter in tnis modern world.
I can have any board copied and reproduced for $8

Quoted from zacaj:

Including the custom code burned onto the cpu chips?

This is news to me! And how would one go about doing this?
Thanks!!

#1831 2 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Got my game today. It's playing great. [quoted image][quoted image]

That face hugger topper is awesome! It should be an upgrade option!

#1850 2 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

yes, but than look at Newt...

Then they should put her is charge!

#1860 2 years ago
Quoted from dri:

I don't expect the game to work at all to be honest.

An $8000,00 pinball machine? Seriously?

#1867 2 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Let's just say I have the bar set low. I expect PB to fix any potential issues down the road but it feels like I bought a NIB project machine if you get what I mean.

Early bird gets the worm!

#1886 2 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I also have a flaky eddy switch that may need to be replaced.

What is an eddy switch? Are you referring to the proximity sensors?

#1887 2 years ago

Thanks to all you guys helping out here!
This will help me out a great deal for when I buy my friends Standard Edition next month!! I can't wait! Game is awesome!!!!
Cheers!!

#1894 2 years ago
Quoted from dri:

- No flipper staging, this is extremely lame, but I knew this going in since Heighway was the same.
-

Ya, my ACNC didn't have it either. And that game really needs it as it has a flipper on the upper playfield. WTF?

#1895 2 years ago
Quoted from dri:

- The mystery (mu/th/ur?) scoop feed is a joke as many points out, I'll work on that.
- The Xenomorph did not grab a single ball. A bit dissapointing since it's the only toy on the game.
- Trough and hypersleep (optos?) seem to be a bit dodgy detecting balls sometimes, a nudge and flips usually fix it.
- The ball feed and gate on the right inlane (the Indy style) has multiple problems. At high velocity, the ball can sneak out ABOVE the wire gate. The feed sometimes isn't clean and causes drain without ball save. The post that other feeds like these has to allow players to skillfully nudge the ball back into play on outlane drain is too thin and does not interact with the ball at all.

These problems are the one's I'm concerned about. Are they fixable?? Please keep us informed on your progress dealing with these issues!!

#1896 2 years ago

Are the proximity sensors (Eddy sensors) adjustable?

#1906 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Indiana Jones can have the same problem. The fix is to put either a metal bracket or 3D printed shape to make the area smaller and guarantee hits on the switch/eddy.

Not sure if I'm following you?? Above the playfield??

#1907 2 years ago
Quoted from dri:

And, last, but not least, check your balls(!). I had a 1/4" half-moon, sharp as a barnacle, on one of the balls.
[quoted image] WTF?

WTF? is right!!!

#1910 2 years ago

What is this MR?

#1936 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Shouldn’t that be MRS then?

It appears that we now have four names for this device..

- Proximity Sensor
- Hall Effect Sensor
- Eddy Sensor (also Eddy Switch)
- Magnetic Reed Switch

** How about a fifth name to confuse things even more?? I suggest MM for Magical Mystery Switch.

#1937 2 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

I believe that Magnetic reed switches operate by a magnet passing close to them not a piece of steel. They (were) are used in things like security alarm door / window switches and were used extensively in electro-mechanical computers way back. They are certainly way cheaper $ than an inductive coil switch to make and would be used throughout pinball if they could be.

You are correct.
I have some of these switches. I use them for turning lights on/off in models to avoid having an ugly switch. They mount under the plastic, hidden from sight and are operated by a magnet. So this would suggest that 'Magnetic Reed Switch' is technically an incorrect name for these devices.

#1939 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Eddy sensors and mrs aren't the same thing though, even if they serve a similar purpose to users. Just like microswitches and leaf switches

Yes, our point above.
MRS are operated by magnets, not a steel ball such as a Proximity Sensor or Hall Effect sensor.

#1941 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I saw one guy changed out those cheap plastic leg protectors to the metal ones.

I thought the standard rule for cab decals was to always use steel leg protectors as opposed to plastic ones to prevent bubbling of the cab decals from leg movement. You are also supposed to cut out the decal from behind the steel protector as well. Plastic leg protectors are fine for painted cabs however.

#1944 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

There have been multiple companies that sold MR switches for pinball machines that detect steel balls

https://instrumentationtools.com/reed-switch-working-principle/

Below is an example of MRS used in drop targets. Again, activated by magnets.

I am here to learn, so if you have an example of a MRS that is activated by a steel ball and not a magnet, please send me a link.
Thanks!

#1946 2 years ago

It seems they call them by the wrong name! They are actually Hall effect sensors.
Reed switches are a mechanical device with moving parts. It consists of two ferromagnetic wires separated by a small gap.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=reed-switches-and-hall-effect-sensors

As well as detecting the presence or absence of magnets and magnetic fields, Hall effect sensors can also be used to detect ferromagnetic materials such as iron and steel by placing a small permanent “biasing” magnet behind the active area of the device. The sensor now sits in a permanent and static magnetic field, and any change or disturbance to this magnetic field by the introduction of a ferrous material will be detected with sensitivities as low as mV/G possible.

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/electromagnetism/hall-effect.html

#1958 2 years ago

Took it to PM.

#1979 2 years ago

I like the face hugger!

1 week later
#2143 2 years ago

I have this same thing on my Iron Maiden pro. Minor pooling. First time I've seen this with a Burthamburg playfield. However, it appears to be minor pooling. My iron Maiden never chipped since 2018 probably because the ball never touches the pooled clear coat. But yes, it's fixable. See this thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-playfield-post-repair-and-chip-proofing-how-to-all-brands

** Keep in mind though, that that electric iron used has no heat control on it and can get too hot! I've seen others just use a small metal measuring cup that they heat up to better control the temp so as not to get too hot. See post 192 in above link.

#2144 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I really don't understand why this happens.

I'm pretty sure (at least with Stern) pooling is caused from cranking out pins too fast and not allowing enough time for the clear coat to cure before bolting down posts. Different temps and humidity and CC mixtures allow for varying cure times. Thus the playfield lottery.

#2242 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Turned it on this morning. It booted up fine but left his tongue sitting out. Restared machine and it pulled it back in but hesitated a second halfway up when going back in. And playing blind. No screen.
Rebooted 3rd time and seems fine now.
[quoted image]

Just to be clear, you are talking about a pinball machine right?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 12.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 160.00
$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boynton Beach, FL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

7,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Woodstock, GA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mr_Outlane.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club?tu=Mr_Outlane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.