100_0962 (resized).JPG
100_0952 (resized).JPG
b6dc946c91d7ab067492a1b55bd88dd9.gif
Pinside_forum_8080234_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_9120 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9110 (resized).jpeg
atmel (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 18,821 posts in this topic. You are on page 88 of 377.
#4351 2 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I can’t begin to tell you how disappointed I am that my Alien is unplayable due to malfunctioning flippers. I’ve tried smoothing the bushing which didn’t help, and just about any other thing that I can do. I’m a very competent pinball tech and this one has me baffled. I’m thinking that it may be the nylon piece below the flipper that the shaft pivots on when the coil fires. Not really a serviceable part unfortunately.
Does anyone know if the flipper assembly is unique to Pinball brothers or could it be a Bally/Williams part? I’d love to do a complete flipper rebuild but all I have on hand are Stern rebuild kits.

Did you open a ticket? Cato responded to my initial "weak flippers" ticket and asked me to identify the linkage I have on my game and I found that mine is different from the picture he shared with me. (Haven't heard back yet, so I'm not sure whether that's good or bad )

Incidentally, here's what mine look like:

LeftFlipperMech (resized).jpgLeftFlipperMech (resized).jpg
#4352 2 years ago

I did open a ticket last night but haven’t gotten a response. My flipper assembly looks like yours. Thank you!

#4353 2 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I can’t begin to tell you how disappointed I am that my Alien is unplayable due to malfunctioning flippers. I’ve tried smoothing the bushing which didn’t help, and just about any other thing that I can do. I’m a very competent pinball tech and this one has me baffled. I’m thinking that it may be the nylon piece below the flipper that the shaft pivots on when the coil fires. Not really a serviceable part unfortunately.
Does anyone know if the flipper assembly is unique to Pinball brothers or could it be a Bally/Williams part? I’d love to do a complete flipper rebuild but all I have on hand are Stern rebuild kits.

This sucks. It must be a real let down to get a new machine we've all been waiting on and have a hold up like this or a dead boot screen prevent you from playing. I know everyone is trying to be patient and understanding but it still must be a let down.
I am thankful for the strong community here which supports and helps each other through all of this.
I don't have my machine yet but hope when I do I can help out.

#4354 2 years ago

Any word on the second boat? Have they shipped to Cointaker?

#4355 2 years ago

I am sorry to hear it, but glad someone else at least was able to see the issue I had with the U turn with the "center" ramp being too narrow. I just throw some pliers in there with 4 layers of microfiber cloth and bent it slightly out so the ball fit. Seemed to be the easiest solution and didn't harm anything in the process, because you dont really have to "crank on it" to get it bent out enough.

#4356 2 years ago
Quoted from brado426:

Same here... I haven't noticed any issues yet with 2.4. Still looking for some... I haven't had the ball get stuck in the AIRLOCK, LEFT EJECT (MUTHUR), HYPERSLEEP, or TROUGH (where a flipper button press is necessary to release)... haven't seen that issue once, which is awesome news! The only other issue I had was that in rare cases, the ball would get stuck on the right magnet and not release... haven't seen that issue since 2.4 either. Things are looking pretty darn good!!!!!

I am on code 2.4 and am getting the ball locked up in the left eject during some multiballs. I have tried to replicate it manually but haven't been able to yet. The ball gets released by the ball search, but then when it drains the game doesn't notice and so just hangs. It's happened about every 5th game on average. I'll try to work out which state the game is in to narrow it down going forward.

#4357 2 years ago

Regarding your flippers... do they move smoothly when you operate them with your hand? Correct amount of vertical travel?

#4358 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Do your games left and upper right flippers fade for you now too? Hyper sleep lock and right orbit shots still get a bit dicey for me after playing for maybe 5-10 mins.

No they feel ok.

#4359 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Regarding your flippers... do they move smoothly when you operate them with your hand? Correct amount of vertical travel?

Both of my left flippers have significant drag when moving them manually. If I lift them slightly while turning them the drag is gone. I sanded the bushing top and bottom and even made a “washer” from a credit card to smooth out the top of the bushing but it didn’t help.

#4360 2 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Both of my left flippers have significant drag when moving them manually. If I lift them slightly while turning them the drag is gone. I sanded the bushing top and bottom and even made a “washer” from a credit card to smooth out the top of the bushing but it didn’t help.

Cut a V shaped slot into a credit card and use that as a temporary spacer when installing the flipper bats. Then, when done, remove them. You need a small gap between the top of the bushing and the bottom of the flipper.

#4361 2 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

I am on code 2.4 and am getting the ball locked up in the left eject during some multiballs. I have tried to replicate it manually but haven't been able to yet. The ball gets released by the ball search, but then when it drains the game doesn't notice and so just hangs. It's happened about every 5th game on average. I'll try to work out which state the game is in to narrow it down going forward.

I've been having that problem... Cato sent me new trough boards after I was able to get a log of it

#4362 2 years ago

Assuming no one has heard a peep about the LV? Man - it's been crickets since September.

#4363 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Cut a V shaped slot into a credit card and use that as a temporary spacer when installing the flipper bats. Then, when done, remove them. You need a small gap between the top of the bushing and the bottom of the flipper.

This is what I was going to say. Make sure when you do this you get the top spacing with the credit card and bring the linkage up flush with the bushing on the bottom. See if they move freely after that. If they do, I'd try to work with just the flipper bat in place and see if you feel drag. If you do, you have a contact problem with the flipper or bushing. If you dont, you likely have an alignment or other issue.

#4364 2 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Any word on the second boat? Have they shipped to Cointaker?

Last I heard was a week ago with the thought it would be in port "any day now". All I want for Christmas......

Crossing my fingers.

#4365 2 years ago

Did they even test these games before shipping them out?

#4366 2 years ago
Quoted from McDoom:

Did they even test these games before shipping them out?

Obviously they can't have due to all these often just silly quality errors. I think it's because they are to under the pump to produce and ship them to get some financial return/cash flow happening and have made the business decision to sort things out later unfortately at our expense. Whatever the reason I think it's pretty damn poor considering what these machines cost us.

#4367 2 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

I had the same. On mine there were a few plugs not sitting snug, one plug was on the wrong port and a few ones weren't plugged in at all. After fixing this, Muthur spitted that sucker out as supposed to and the rest of the game was illuminated as it should be. I've been told that the five weapon targets are not supposed to be illuminated at this stadium, there should come a hardware update, why ever and what ever.
What I also had to fix was, that it didn't register the ball on opto one in hypersleep lock. I had to bend the ball guide on the cabinet side that the two holes are aligned and the opto's can communicate with each other.
The only issue that I am still having is, that the fricking orbit post's don't pop up when they should. But this issue is addressed to PB and as soon as I've fixed that I'll let you guys know.

#4368 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

I’ve been using expired gift cards for years to space flipper bats. To try to fix this issue I made a “washer” from an expired gift card and left it between the bat and the plastic. I also used my spacer when installing to ensure that there was the normal amount of free space.

9514C48A-FA8F-4CD1-AF34-69D965C60510 (resized).jpeg9514C48A-FA8F-4CD1-AF34-69D965C60510 (resized).jpeg

#4370 2 years ago

Found the problem with my dead sling shots.

Both had wires broken from the coil.

This may be why flippers are weak for some also.

These 2 will make 3 that I have had to re-solder.

20211207_090424 (resized).jpg20211207_090424 (resized).jpg20211207_090433 (resized).jpg20211207_090433 (resized).jpg
#4371 2 years ago

I love how minimal the underside of the playfields are on this machine....no bulb sockets etc...saves so much space...

#4372 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Those coils look to be installed backwards.
They will work that way, but the coil lugs are awfully close to the edge of the coil stop. Could cause a short if they touch.

#4373 2 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

They will work that way, but the coil lugs are awfully close to the edge of the coil stop. Could cause a short if they touch.

yes , Vid would not be happy...

#4374 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

These 2 will make 3 that I have had to re-solder. [quoted image][quoted image]

Unusual to get broken wires so soon. Did they use solid core wires, poor crimps...?

#4375 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Unusual to get broken wires so soon. Did they use solid core wires, poor crimps...?

Braided wire. Super thin. The wire seem to break at where the solder starts/ends on the wire.

Sometimes the break is hidden in the black sleeve they cover the wire/solder.

#4376 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Braided wire. Super thin. The wire seem to break at where the solder starts/ends on the wire.

I had 2 coils with broken wires as well as a proximity switch broken in half. I think the factory just has a large box full of parts and the workers dig through and grab what they need or something ridiculous like that.

#4377 2 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Serivce bulletin is coming from Cato on this... they have a fix.

#4378 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Yeah, I was taught if you're not careful the solder can wick up the braided wire and create a weak spot.

#4379 2 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

hmm...and there are no locks on those, they move quite easily. Will need to look at mine.

#4380 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

These 2 will make 3 that I have had to re-solder. [quoted image][quoted image]

Had one of mine come off an half the tab had broken off with it. Had enough to resolder but will have to keep an eye on my other coils

#4381 2 years ago

I guess all the small problems are worth it because this game is so cool and unique ,nothing quite have the atmosphere and feel of this title

#4382 2 years ago

Cato sent me this about the sticky flippers. Completely against what you’re supposed to do on other pins . . .but it worked!
“About the sticky and dragging flipper, can you try to loosen the flipper bat shaft, so it rotates freely and then press the flipper bat down towards the playfield, and at the same time press the linkage upwards. and then tighten the flipper shaft. "remove the gap marked with red arrow"”.
281E1C35-EA75-467D-9F3A-499FABD1FC2E (resized).png281E1C35-EA75-467D-9F3A-499FABD1FC2E (resized).png

#4383 2 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I guess all the small problems are worth it because this game is so cool and unique ,nothing quite have the atmosphere and feel of this title

I've been completely happy with mine. Still less work than R&M required. That being said, it sucks we are seeing a new crop of issues with this latest batch. hopefully it is just a handful of people having these issues.

#4384 2 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Completely against what you’re supposed on other pins . . .but it worked!

The coil plunger needs to go into the coil straight and smooth. If it goes into the coil at an angle, it creates drag/friction/heat/less power.
Those gap tools for space between the pawl and bushing aren’t always accurate.

#4385 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I've had about 8 coil wires come off over the past 6 months. it is definitely a problem. I have reported this to PB at least a couple times... and I know others have, so they should know that they need to do a better job at soldering those wires to coils.

#4386 2 years ago
Quoted from brado426:

I've had about 8 coil wires come off over the past 6 months. it is definitely a problem. I have reported this to PB at least a couple times... and I know others have, so they should know that they need to do a better job at soldering those wires to coils.

Heavier guage wire would help too.

#4387 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I've been completely happy with mine. Still less work than R&M required. That being said, it sucks we are seeing a new crop of issues with this latest batch. hopefully it is just a handful of people having these issues.

My machine is almost fully dialed in at this point i have the bend in hyperlock ramp issue to be dealt with but other then this, it it pretty solid now. Now if i can only stop sucking and learn the shots and such, we be alright then.

#4388 2 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

The coil plunger needs to go into the coil straight and smooth. If it goes into the coil at an angle, it creates drag/friction/heat/less power.
Those gap tools for space between the pawl and bushing aren’t always accurate.

I suspect their bushings may be a bit too tall, hence why the sanding helps. Some space is needed between the crank and bushing, but it can't be too much, or it'll drag on the coil.

#4389 2 years ago

So still not a peep from PB on the LV model since the initial reveal, unless I am missing something.
I put my deposit in right at the beginning, but feeling pretty let down by the lack of anything tangible outside of some crude renderings.
And they're clearly still available for pre-order... I am wondering how many folks are on the fence waiting for the "reveal redux".

I'm seriously doubting LV pins will be shipping in January if they can't even put out a real picture of the product at this point.

#4390 2 years ago
Quoted from brado426:

The coils twisting back and forth when energizing won't help much either. To address that and the shorting issue, I made some 2mm x 38mm x38mm spacers and placed them as shown. This prevents them from twisting, I also oriented the coils as shown to prevent shorting. Only did this for Slings and Drop Reset.

IMG_6933 (resized).jpgIMG_6933 (resized).jpgIMG_6935 (resized).jpgIMG_6935 (resized).jpg

#4391 2 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

The coils twisting back and forth when energizing won't help much either. To address that and the shorting issue, I made some 2mm x 38mm x38mm spacers and placed them as shown. This prevents them from twisting, I also oriented the coils as shown to prevent shorting.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm going to use the old fashioned electrical tape fix - and maybe a rubberband for good measure.

#4392 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I'm going to use the old fashioned electrical tape fix - and maybe a rubberband for good measure.

You're so last year man

#4393 2 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

So still not a peep from PB on the LV model since the initial reveal, unless I am missing something.
I put my deposit in right at the beginning, but feeling pretty let down by the lack of anything tangible outside of some crude renderings.
And they're clearly still available for pre-order... I am wondering how many folks are on the fence waiting for the "reveal redux".
I'm seriously doubting LV pins will be shipping in January if they can't even put out a real picture of the product at this point.

Not exactly on the fence, I'm all in - whenever it gets built, and if that's later then so be it. Part of me is glad because I want them to iron out all these issues that keep cropping up on the standards.

BUT also - I'm a little dismayed at the crickets/complete lack of hype or info on reveal for this, and I don't think they're going to be built on time. I'm almost hoping they are going to "re-reveal" this - it's going to be so incredible, and we're all going to collectively cheer. But more likely, it's just running behind schedule, and it'll look extremely close to the rendered shots (that'll be fine too).

I wouldn't mind, but that makes 3 pins I have on order that I was expecting early 2022, and looks like I'll be waiting (a lot) longer than anticipated for all of them.

I'm just waiting now for my distro to call me and say my DP premium is delayed until mid 2022 - that one will make me slightly peeved.

#4394 2 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Cato sent me this about the sticky flippers. Completely against what you’re supposed to do on other pins . . .but it worked!
“About the sticky and dragging flipper, can you try to loosen the flipper bat shaft, so it rotates freely and then press the flipper bat down towards the playfield, and at the same time press the linkage upwards. and then tighten the flipper shaft. "remove the gap marked with red arrow"”.
[quoted image]

This is what I was told from Cato as well. They want as little or no gap between the bushing there. It has worked for the most part, occasionally I’ll get a sticky flipper but not very often.

#4395 2 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

This is what I was told from Cato as well. They want as little or no gap between the bushing there. It has worked for the most part, occasionally I’ll get a sticky flipper but not very often.

Would this guidance also apply to the slings?

#4396 2 years ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

Would this guidance also apply to the slings?

No. Only the flippers.

#4397 2 years ago

If anyone has any experience with the coding and computer on this game I would appreciate some help getting my pinball to work. Tried to reset the original code as per pinball brothers instruction and all I get is error messages and endless reboots or freezing. Not sure if hard drive or code issue. Cato has gone dead silence on me and I now have a $9000 paper weight. Any help appreciated.

#4398 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer31520:

If anyone has any experience with the coding and computer on this game

Do you have a ticket open with Cato? He is nothing but amazing when it comes to support. when I first had issues with mine we had a video conference call to fix what issue I had. if you don't have a ticket with them I highly suggest doing so. Mine is playing great and I was one of the very early adopters, I've had it since June and it's been playing awesome.

#4399 2 years ago

If anyone has any experience with the coding and computer on this game I would appreciate some help getting my pinball to work. Tried to reset the original code as per pinball brothers instruction and all I get is error messages and endless reboots or freezing. Not sure if hard drive or code issue. Cato has gone dead silence on me and I now have a $9000 paper weight. Any help appreciated.

I hope you get the help needed. This would be terribly disappointing for any of us to have this happen.
I don't have my machine yet. I hope if you have an open ticket and PB isn't responding sufficiently that the community comes together to help you resolve your issues so you too can enjoy your game like others are.

#4400 2 years ago

Have you already re-imaged your hard drive? I'd say take advice from Cato before me, but re-imaging sounds like a good next step.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Brownsburg, IN
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 18,821 posts in this topic. You are on page 88 of 377.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club/page/88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.