Alien pinball (resized).jpg
20240414_165244 (resized).jpg
20240307_181954 (resized).jpg
20240307_180602 (resized).jpg
IMG_5412 (resized).jpg
IMG_5411 (resized).jpg
IMG_9571 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 18,775 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 376.
#4301 2 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:

Check the leaf switch at the button. Very weak metal. Make sure they are making proper contact.

After rereading your post this may not be this issue.

#4302 2 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:

Check the leaf switch at the button. Very weak metal. Make sure they are making proper contact.
Edit:
After rereading your post, this may not be your issue.

I think I’ve sorted it thanks - I put the power up to +50%. I thought this would make them too powerful but they seem perfect and the flop down issue has stopped.
Setting the left saucer kick out to -35% as someone here suggested has also made its feed much better.

#4303 2 years ago
Quoted from RussG:

WTF is going on!? Are we going backwards now on the new arrivals?

//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"389e6ea2ce278c144ae103a16aa40608988deae8-1638702965-1800"};
//]]>

I agree. Second thoughts for me. I don’t want to deal with all these issues. I’m use to reliability for the most part on new machines. Sorry to see all the issues you guys are having! Bummer!

#4304 2 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

New owner here. Loving the game so far but having an issue with the flippers. Not the sticky issue I’ve seen. When the ball shoots out of the airlock and hits the left flipper - if I am holding that flipper up, it drops down when hit, as if the hold power isn’t strong enough.
It happens to the right flipper also if a ball hits it directly with some power.
Has anyone else had this issue and can anyone suggest a solution?

I think there was a post early on about some coils missing the "key" that keeps them centered on the coils stop and the coil was "rotating" in the coils stop and shorting?? maybe this is issue?

#4305 2 years ago
Quoted from RussG:

Did you also check the post just below your right upper flipper? Do you have the longer post or the shorter old one?
I hope the former!

longer.. checked last night.

#4306 2 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

New owner here. Loving the game so far but having an issue with the flippers. Not the sticky issue I’ve seen. When the ball shoots out of the airlock and hits the left flipper - if I am holding that flipper up, it drops down when hit, as if the hold power isn’t strong enough.
It happens to the right flipper also if a ball hits it directly with some power.

Just received my game and I have the same issue. And the flippers in general move freely but are very weak at default settings. I cranked the left, right and upper right flippers to 150% and that made the game playable. I measured at the coil lugs and I have 48VDC at unenergized and a net 10VDC or so when energized and in the up position (didn't examine PWM wave).

I opened a ticket with PB. Hoping there's another adjustment somewhere. Or maybe wrong coils, springs, etc were installed at factory.

#4307 2 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

I think I’ve sorted it thanks - I put the power up to +50%. I thought this would make them too powerful but they seem perfect and the flop down issue has stopped.
Setting the left saucer kick out to -35% as someone here suggested has also made its feed much better.

Do your games left and upper right flippers fade for you now too? Hyper sleep lock and right orbit shots still get a bit dicey for me after playing for maybe 5-10 mins.

#4308 2 years ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

I think there was a post early on about some coils missing the "key" that keeps them centered on the coils stop and the coil was "rotating" in the coils stop and shorting?? maybe this is issue?

This is not the case for the flipper coils only the other coils. The drop target reset is the main one that was shorting, this was supposed to be addressed at the factory , would be interested to know if they actually did.

#4309 2 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

This is not the case for the flipper coils only the other coils. The drop target reset is the main one that was shorting, this was supposed to be addressed at the factory , would be interested to know if they actually did.

Cato told me there is a bulletin coming out.

I have dead slings to.

He said it will be to rotate coils 180 degrees and turn them upside down or something.

#4310 2 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Was not for my unit, 8/2021 build. I just insulated the coil and zipped it steady.

#4311 2 years ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

almost all of my coils are missing this (not flippers though) - one thing I noted early on questioning why this was like this - but it's never caused a problem.

#4312 2 years ago

I just received mine on Thursday. I’ve played about 50 games and not one issue.

#4313 2 years ago

I've been keeping my flippers at default strength and not had any knockdown issues. Are your games all on firmware 0.56?

#4314 2 years ago

Has anyone figured out how to wire in beacons as a topper? The gentlemen doing the apron/beacon combo is not offering to sell just the beacons alone. For budget reasons, I’d like to just get some interactive beacons. Thanks!

#4315 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've been keeping my flippers at default strength and not had any knockdown issues. Are your games all on firmware 0.56?

Mine is 0.56

#4316 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Cato told me there is a bulletin coming out.
I have dead slings to.
He said it will be to rotate coils 180 degrees and turn them upside down or something.

Is this meant to address flipper weakness as well? Or just the 'othet' coils?

#4317 2 years ago

Just got mine last week. I have previously owned a Heighway version so it's just human nature to compare the two. Overall I love this game! The theme, layout, design, art and sound are all top notch in my view! Hence my decision to get another one.

The PB version is fairly good out of the box (at least mine was). Some great improvements since Heighway. The extra magnet to slow the ball down is wonderful. The screen in the backbox is fine. I thought I would miss the pf screen from the Heighway, but honestly I don't. The added bonus is that it's just one less thing to have to screw around with as the pf screen was never quite flush and I was always worried about chipping. The lockdown bar and pf glass are also improvements. The Heighway lockdown bar had a more pronounced corner that dug into your hand. This is more comfortable.

However, several issues some of which have already been discussed:
1. Muthur eject is terrible. It was not a problem with the Heighway pin. PB must have done something to screw this up. Hopefully the foam trick will work.

2. Initially game would not start. Had to mess around with start button switch before my buddy discovered the switch was wired incorrectly. Going to PB tech page there is a bulletin about this so they are aware of it. Doesn't say much about PB quality control. Kind of like Ford selling a truck without starting it up to make sure it at least runs before leaving the factory.

3.Xeno is way worse at "catching" the ball than my Heighway was. I'm running 2.2 at the moment. Hopefully an upgrade to 2.4 will improve that.

4. Upper R flipper is weak. I increased the strength, but it almost seems as if it needs a stronger coil. On good shots, ie, clean enough that they should get to the ball lock, mine seem to make it about a third of the time. Very frustrating. If anyone has a way to add more power in the existing configuration, please let me know.

5. Finally, I've had the ball get caught in the ramp several times as shown in the picture. Upon examination I discovered the metal flap has a slight hump to it that creates a depression for the ball to sit in if it's kinetic energy is not strong enough to roll back out. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, did you do anything to fix it?
Thanks

20211204_180538 (resized).jpg20211204_180538 (resized).jpg
#4318 2 years ago

Weak upper right flip could be a rough bushing, support had us sand ours down as it was binding/causing friction on the bottom where it meets the pawl. Yes there should be a credit card sized gap there, but there was remnant plastic all up on the bushing screwing that up. The flip mech hardware is kinda riddled with issues, very finicky. Also sanded the link on the shaft joint at their reco. Hopefully can just swap this flipper stuff all out for Williams-style parts.

#4319 2 years ago

Thanks Danger. I'll take a look at that. It does seem kind of "draggy" when I move it manually. Hopefully that's all it is.

#4320 2 years ago

sorry to be a newb.. but how can i tell what version? is it in a log file?

#4321 2 years ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

sorry to be a newb.. but how can i tell what version? is it in a log file?

Go to service menu and hang tight on screen that shows software rev. It will start scrolling through additional info including firmware version.

#4322 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Go to service menu and hang tight on screen that shows software rev. It will start scrolling through additional info including firmware version.

I think the +/- buttons will let you scroll through the info too iirc

#4323 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Is this meant to address flipper weakness as well? Or just the 'othet' coils?

He said drop target bank and slings.

#4324 2 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

Weak upper right flip could be a rough bushing, support had us sand ours down as it was binding/causing friction on the bottom where it meets the pawl. Yes there should be a credit card sized gap there, but there was remnant plastic all up on the bushing screwing that up. The flip mech hardware is kinda riddled with issues, very finicky. Also sanded the link on the shaft joint at their reco. Hopefully can just swap this flipper stuff all out for Williams-style parts.

I cut 1\8 off my coil sleeves, no issue since.

#4325 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

You need to get in on the custom Apron with beacons...Only few spots left.

for the price, better off buying an LE that comes with warranty and a dozen other things. no offence.

#4326 2 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

I cut 1\8 off my coil sleeves, no issue since.

Sleeve or bushing? If former, what problem were you solving? Reducing friction? I don't feel any binding/rubbing in mine.

#4327 2 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

LOL after trying to factory restore
[quoted image]

Still waiting on any word. 3 days now. Completely bricked machine

#4328 2 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Has anyone figured out how to wire in beacons as a topper? The gentlemen doing the apron/beacon combo is not offering to sell just the beacons alone. For budget reasons, I’d like to just get some interactive beacons. Thanks!

I'm in the boat. Have the beacons and the will. Not sure where to start probing, hoping someone already done the grunt work

#4329 2 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

When I had this problem on a NIB Stern it was the Coil Stop that needed to be replaced. Hope you figure it out soon <3

#4330 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Sleeve or bushing? If former, what problem were you solving? Reducing friction? I don't feel any binding/rubbing in mine.

if the sleeve is getting damaged. cut it. it worked for me

#4331 2 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

if the sleeve is getting damaged. cut it. it worked for me

Thanks. Could you feel any resistance when manually moving the flipper? Or anything else that tipped you off on this?

#4332 2 years ago
Quoted from Redferne:

I'm in the boat. Have the beacons and the will. Not sure where to start probing, hoping someone already done the grunt work

Just to reiterate... My understanding is that there is no completed code for beacon triggering at this time. Anything relating to beacon triggering would need to be done in some unofficial way. If anyone wants to correct my understanding on this, I would be very interested in any alternate information.

I did make a board to trigger the beacons (I posted a PCB diagram in an earlier message), but that project has become much bigger, so it has been delayed... but it will be awesome.

#4333 2 years ago

So my Alien is having several issues. First and foremost is the lower left flipper. It is “draggy” and it gets stuck in the up position. The coil sleeve is “ribbed” inside, which may be a factor, but there are other issues with this flipper. At first it wouldn’t always respond when pushing the flipper button. I reflowed the solder and that appears to have solved that issue. I completely disassembled the flipper mech and can’t find a reason for it being draggy. I put a Stern coil sleeve in which didn’t quite fit correctly, but the issue persisted. I ensured that there was adequate up and down play with the bat (credit-card template). When I slightly lift the bat the drag disappears, but when I let it rest in it’s normal position it seems to be dragging on something. I’ve checked the bottom of the bat surface and the top of the bushing in which it sits for extra or rough plastic but can find none. When disassembled there seems to be no catching, but when everything is tight it is dragging again. I hooked the spring 1/3 shorter to give it more pull, but no luck. Very frustrating. I sanded the bushing flat and smooth but it it still just as grabby.
Also, from the factory the Hypersleep ramp was too tight at the “U” to allow the ball to pass. It doesn’t fit past the U. (See picture). I wedged a washer in between the wall and the floor of the ramp to create more space at the U which seems to have helped.
Also 4 of the target lights are out. (See pictures). I guess it’s time to open a ticket.
I had such high hopes. . . .

9C62E452-41E2-45AF-9746-CEA9B39C8824 (resized).jpeg9C62E452-41E2-45AF-9746-CEA9B39C8824 (resized).jpegB80FD8A4-745A-42F0-B249-31B7AE6C24D0 (resized).jpegB80FD8A4-745A-42F0-B249-31B7AE6C24D0 (resized).jpegBD61FF4E-0C3B-4B05-B61A-46498F990EEE (resized).jpegBD61FF4E-0C3B-4B05-B61A-46498F990EEE (resized).jpegC13CEECD-3361-404D-80CE-5F053B546DE5 (resized).jpegC13CEECD-3361-404D-80CE-5F053B546DE5 (resized).jpeg

#4334 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Thanks. Could you feel any resistance when manually moving the flipper? Or anything else that tipped you off on this?

Was just a visual, I cut 1\8 on all of the coil sleeve's, sanded... done, been working perfect since. took me 15 minutes.

#4335 2 years ago

Being on the LV pre-order, I'm concerned about all these issues which should have been resolved with the latest batch of games. Yes, most new games need adjustments but these issues are much more than that. Sorry to all who received their games and are in this situation. Not so excited right now which sucks for a large $ purchase. PB, get your act together with the quality control or your not gonna have much repeat business.

#4336 2 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Also 4 of the target lights are out. (See pictures).

That's normal iirc. It used to be that all 5 weren't coded, now just that one is.

#4337 2 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Being on the LV pre-order, I'm concerned about all these issues which should have been resolved with the latest batch of games. Yes, most new games need adjustments but these issues are much more than that. Sorry to all who received their games and are in this situation. Not so excited right now which sucks for a large $ purchase. PB, get your act together with the quality control or your not gonna have much repeat business.

To be fair, I feel like mine is playing pretty well right now, and it took way (waaaaay) less tinkering than, e.g., my Stranger Things Premium.

I'm pleasantly surprised with how fun the game is...Really cool atmosphere and rules, shoots well. Definitely feels "different" from most games.

#4338 2 years ago

I agree. You think they would have checked these games more since the first couple of batches. Can’t be cheap to keep sending care packages over seas for a lot of these machines. Glad mine has been playing well.

#4339 2 years ago

Keep in mind you are seeing what? 5 people with issues? Also these have been sitting boxed and ready to ship for months.

The ramp issues are concerning though because I don't think any of the early games had any of that.

#4340 2 years ago

You won't regret buying this game, a few issues...yes. But I always said this from the beginning, if you get a great playfield...the rest is easy to fix. This playfield is the best in the business. stunning! And here's a bold statement, I will die with this game still in my possession. "period". So ya, there is no other game that I would trade this for, ever!

#4341 2 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Was just a visual, I cut 1\8 on all of the coil sleeve's, sanded... done, been working perfect since. took me 15 minutes.

How did you cut the coil sleeve?

#4342 2 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

How did you cut the coil sleeve?

I used a dremel, cutting blade. Shave off a dime, it worked for me. hope it does the same for you. Cheers!

#4343 2 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

So my Alien is having several issues. First and foremost is the lower left flipper. It is “draggy” and it gets stuck in the up position. The coil sleeve is “ribbed” inside, which may be a factor, but there are other issues with this flipper. At first it wouldn’t always respond when pushing the flipper button. I reflowed the solder and that appears to have solved that issue. I completely disassembled the flipper mech and can’t find a reason for it being draggy. I put a Stern coil sleeve in which didn’t quite fit correctly, but the issue persisted. I ensured that there was adequate up and down play with the bat (credit-card template). When I slightly lift the bat the drag disappears, but when I let it rest in it’s normal position it seems to be dragging on something. I’ve checked the bottom of the bat surface and the top of the bushing in which it sits for extra or rough plastic but can find none. When disassembled there seems to be no catching, but when everything is tight it is dragging again. I hooked the spring 1/3 shorter to give it more pull, but no luck. Very frustrating. I sanded the bushing flat and smooth but it it still just as grabby.
Also, from the factory the Hypersleep ramp was too tight at the “U” to allow the ball to pass. It doesn’t fit past the U. (See picture). I wedged a washer in between the wall and the floor of the ramp to create more space at the U which seems to have helped.
Also 4 of the target lights are out. (See pictures). I guess it’s time to open a ticket.
I had such high hopes. . . .
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The small weapons target lights are not supposed to work.. not coded to light, as per Cato yesterday.

#4344 2 years ago
Quoted from Baggerman:The small weapons target lights are not supposed to work.. not coded to light, as per Cato yesterday.

I wonder why one of the target lights on one side of the scoop works and another doesn’t? A weird choice if it’s intentional.

129B9462-8623-45F9-BE07-122C860707FB (resized).jpeg129B9462-8623-45F9-BE07-122C860707FB (resized).jpeg

#4345 2 years ago

I think I finally got the trough issue fixed. The eject would occassionally just keep chucking balls into it without launching, so would have to shut off the game, pull the glass and remove them. I took off the coil, carefully cut back the heat shrink to expose the solder. It wasn't soldered very well. I resoldered the wire and made sure it bridged to the coil wire. Cross your fingers, but it seems to work now

#4346 2 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I wonder why one of the target lights on one side of the scoop works and another doesn’t? A weird choice if it’s intentional.
[quoted image]

Same thing on mine.. cato emailed me lsat night on it.. yep it's intentional.. I think it may be an LV feature who knows.

#4347 2 years ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

Same thing on mine.. cato emailed me lsat night on it.. yep it's intentional.. I think it may be an LV feature who knows.

To lock lights that are already on the playfield for a higher model doesn't make sense though.

#4348 2 years ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

If that's intentional, that's an odd design decision. It looks strange with half the lights not functioning.

#4349 2 years ago

Mine doesn't do that. Can you take a pic of what the cables to that switch look like and it's placement? Are there other small ones that do that?

Note that when it's counting your scores/bonuses between balls, it does some funky asymmetrical lighting to simulate 'computer lights blinking' where some lights come on and their partners do not. However, this doesn't light the little targets, but it does light the big targets.

Curious if they plugged that target into the wrong connector meant for the LV.

#4350 2 years ago

I can’t begin to tell you how disappointed I am that my Alien is unplayable due to malfunctioning flippers. I’ve tried smoothing the bushing which didn’t help, and just about any other thing that I can do. I’m a very competent pinball tech and this one has me baffled. I’m thinking that it may be the nylon piece below the flipper that the shaft pivots on when the coil fires. Not really a serviceable part unfortunately.
Does anyone know if the flipper assembly is unique to Pinball brothers or could it be a Bally/Williams part? I’d love to do a complete flipper rebuild but all I have on hand are Stern rebuild kits.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Woodstock, GA
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Arlington, VA
$ 160.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Brownsburg, IN
Machine - For Sale
Mckinney, TX
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 18,775 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 376.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club/page/87?hl=fsumassey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.