Quoted from zacaj:
Most of them are things I pointed out to those two, but a few they misunderstood or got wrong, definitely made it sound a bit worse than I think it is. I've tried to document everything I've noticed in my posts on this thread for others to reference against so I don't think anything they said should be new, unless I forgot something here. I am a bit let down by the general quality and design. I expected better from a company, especially one that's already had a previous go at it to reference, and some of the stuff is just plain tacky, even if it was on a Stern pro or something. I like the game though, and wouldn't dissuade someone else from buying one if they like it too but "it's an alien" is about all you're getting for your money, everything else is cheap and/or rushed to the extreme. The lack of even an led strip behind the backglass in the giant empty head is probably what peeves me off most though. Super visible. Stuff like internal construction only I'll ever have to deal with while others can play my game and enjoy it
There's an LED strip all the way around the screen in the backglass. It looks cool! Not sure what you mean by no LED strip.
The biggest problem I had was with playfield PCB 8 opto was bad. I did hear some other people had bad optos on PCBs, but not PCB 8. Once I got the PCB 8 replacement, things worked great! Here's the list of issues I've dealt with so far:
1. Ball getting stuck in right ramp - Easily fixed by slightly bending the rail
2. Sticky flippers - Fixed by sanding down the plastic flipper grommets. They were rough from manufacturing. Hopefully PB has fixed this issue on yours already.
3. Stand-up targets not registering - This is a well known issue that PB is working on. They sent me redesigned targets, but my understanding is a new version of the targets is in production that they will be sending out. The good news is they are super easy to replace.
4. Ball Lock Mech not working at all. This was because of PCB 8 that I mentioned above. After replacing this PCB, I have had no problems with the Ball Lock mech. This was by far my biggest problem with the game.
5. Alien not grabbing the ball all the time. I believe this is because the ball has a tendency to hop over the magnet. I believe they are addressing this in the replacement drop targets
6. Mother scoop not ejecting ball consistently. Every once in awhile, I do notice that the ball gets launched in an obscure direction. There are some instructions on PB's support site of how to address this, but I haven't tried to fix it yet as it hasn't been much of a problem.
7. Some white LEDs in screen unit not illuminating. These are the LEDs around the screen/cpu unit that light up the backbox. PB sent me replacement LED modules... I found that two were bad.
8. Game locks up occasionally after losing ball and only solution is to reset. I recently sent a couple logs to PB that were extremely revealing of where the problem is. They are currently working on a software fix for this. I'm pretty confident they'll be able to fix it based on my logs.
Sounds like a lot of issues, but it is actually a lot less issues than I thought there would be. The real good news is that most of this stuff is really easy to fix. The game is so modular and clean that replacing a part is pretty darn simple. There are some issues others have reported that I did not experience and some thing I experienced that no one else did (like the backbox LEDs).
So far, I'm super impressed considering this is the first run of this game.