20220118_102305 (resized).jpg
Background (resized).jpg
20211103_232047 (resized).jpg
12037453-BBDD-4B02-A406-BD9BDE048EFE (resized).jpeg
20220116_184300 (resized).jpg
3ADDDBF3-EAC1-4582-96E3-BC3F24927719 (resized).jpeg
F1ED69A9-159E-4672-8624-E0802D344158.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,198 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 104.
#1601 6 months ago
Quoted from EightBallTexas:

Awesome Pictures......I think some mirrored blades are in my future ,would be my little tweak. I added them to GOT versus artwork and its very cool.

I think I’m gonna go for mirror blades as well. Anyone know if the standard Bally/Williams ones will work?

#1602 6 months ago
Quoted from djsoup:

I think I’m gonna go for mirror blades as well. Anyone know if the standard Bally/Williams ones will work?

Someone is making them now in the elf shops....lol.

I did the gold ones for my GOT and its strikingly beautiful.

#1603 6 months ago
Quoted from brado426:

I will. I confirmed that both the START GAME and LAUNCH BALL LEDs are 12V... so I will be ordering new green 12V LEDs for both.

Vendor should add these bulbs so we don't make mistake or others don't see this thread who buy them.

#1604 6 months ago
Quoted from EightBallTexas:

Vendor should add these bulbs so we don't make mistake or others don't see this thread who buy them.

Another difference is the connectors on the switches are too big and the connector won't fit. I just swapped the original switches into the new buttons and they fit and work just fine. The LED connectors fit perfectly.

I sent Bill an Email about both of these issues.

#1605 6 months ago
Quoted from brado426:

Another difference is the connectors on the switches are too big and the connector won't fit. I just swapped the original switches into the new buttons and they fit and work just fine. The LED connectors are fit perfectly.
I sent Bill an Email about both of these issues.

Okay I was about to do the same....I ordered mine last night.

Thanks for doing that.

#1606 6 months ago

Bon Voyage or How do I get out of this chicken shit outfit?

16260274345745109616117195927788 (resized).jpg
#1607 6 months ago

No buy in button on remake. I'd miss that.

#1608 6 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

No buy in button on remake. I'd miss that.

just set it to 4 balls instead of 3 then

#1609 6 months ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

just set it to 4 balls instead of 3 then

But, my pinball friends don't like when I do that!

Hwy P.B.?? Give us a Co-Op mode! It's super fun. I had it on my ACNC. Great feature!!

#1610 6 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I wish they'd put a Co-Op mode on Alien. This is a super fun feature I had on my ANCN that should be on most games IMO.

Yes co-op and teams modes are great fun - I'd really like to see this as a standard feature on all new games

#1611 6 months ago
Quoted from brado426:

I will. I confirmed that both the START GAME and LAUNCH BALL LEDs are 12V... so I will be ordering new green 12V LEDs for both.

Bill responded and said he would send out 12V LED bulbs. To resolve the switch problem, I think his best bet is to not include the switch at all and just have people use the original switch that comes with the game.

#1612 6 months ago

Anyone have an issue with the Xeno head/mouth grinding? I reached out to PB and they told me to update the delta which I did.. but its still making an awful grinding/high pitched sound when its activated.. Before I take the thing apart, just wanted to check and see if anyone else has seen this and if there's an easy fix. :/

#1613 6 months ago

The xeno jaw grabbing the ball is an awesome moment for sure but it adds nothing to gameplay. I turned the thing off on my original and my remake as well and I sleep much better not worrying about the damn thing. Added benefit is that the jaw doesn't extend during a missed magnet grab which can be damaging if you hit the jaw with a live ball. Just go into settings and disable xenomorph and try it out.

#1614 6 months ago

What nonsense is that... function of Xenomorph only depends on the mechanic, reinforced servo with customized connector, adjusted driver board, corrected height of the assy, metal gear and a fixed magnet in front of the tongue.
Once these improvements are done, it works properly... what is an ALIEN without Xeno tongue working?

#1615 6 months ago

Lots of people saying it is grinding....that is very concerning (at least not having seen it). Grinding usually indicates things not fitting together properly. Does it need lube? Is it metal on metal or plastic on plastic? etc. Or..is the noise everyone is talking about the motor noise?

#1616 6 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Lots of people saying it is grinding....that is very concerning (at least not having seen it). Grinding usually indicates things not fitting together properly. Does it need lube? Is it metal on metal or plastic on plastic? etc. Or..is the noise everyone is talking about the motor noise?

It moves smoothly by hand. I think it's just something with the way they're driving the motor. Esp since a code update was able to improve it somewhat.

#1617 6 months ago
Quoted from zacaj:

It moves smoothly by hand. I think it's just something with the way they're driving the motor. Esp since a code update was able to improve it somewhat.

I think the speed is the difference. With the old code, it would extend the tongue very slowly when you first powered on the machine, which made a particularly loud sound. But with the new firmware, the tongue extends just as fast when you first power on, which sounds much better.

#1618 6 months ago

It's not as loud in test mode after the update.
Is there a way to strengthen the magnet under the xeno? I don't get many grabs at mb start unless it's an indirect shot. My OKT next to it looks like it has the same size magnet on the playfield and those will stop a bullet in its tracks.

#1619 6 months ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I second this, it’s a stepper motor and it sound like they aren’t sending the right timing pulses to it or something during startup, my 3d printer steppers only make noise like that when something is wrong with the firmware or slicing file.

#1620 6 months ago
Quoted from gliebig:

It's not as loud in test mode after the update.
Is there a way to strengthen the magnet under the xeno? I don't get many grabs at mb start unless it's an indirect shot. My OKT next to it looks like it has the same size magnet on the playfield and those will stop a bullet in its tracks.

Would have thought some engineer out there would have figured this out by now. Is it a voltage issue or not enough winding? Just not big enough in general?

#1621 6 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Yeah I thought that at first but took the head off and the tongue moves just fine manually.. as in there's no resistance or scraping which is what it sounded like so I thought it was getting hung up on something. Its gotta be the motor. Mine is still really loud even after the update. I'll reach out to PB again to let them know.

#1622 6 months ago

Guys, it's the same assembly used in HW-ALIEN and it always works noisy... and don't lubricate anything there.

#1623 6 months ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Is there a way to strengthen the magnet under the xeno? I don't get many grabs at mb start unless it's an indirect shot.

There is a setting in the menu to increase the magnet strength, I have tried it because I have the same issue, that is it doesn't seem to be grabbing many balls for Ambush or Newt multiball. But it made no difference I brought it up with Cato on my last Skype call with him. He suggested putting some foam behind the targets of the Xeno to stop the ball getting any "air" on hard shots, unfortunately that didn't really help. I said to him that it seems more like a timing issue in the software, that once the target is hit it takes a few extra milliseconds to activate the magnet and by then the ball has already moved past the magnet. he said they are definitely looking in to this to make it more dependable because this is one of, if not, the main feature of the game. I hope they can figure it out soon. When the Xeno actually grabs the ball it never gets old seeing it

#1624 6 months ago

^ I tried increasing that setting also. Had no effect on the tongue being able to grab the ball.

You'd think there would be the setting for it to really grab the ball even with a full hard shot.

#1625 6 months ago

I think it's some sort of lag in the magnet reacting too. There's a setting for "magnet fling delay" in the menu, and when you turn it down to minimum the magnet flings get more active, so I assume a similar issue would help with the grab

#1626 6 months ago

Probably why no one knows anything about the next shipment of games.

#1627 6 months ago

Edit

Decided I don't care.

#1628 6 months ago

Craig streams the new 2.2 code update for Pinball Brothers Alien

#1629 6 months ago

Have any of you owners tried reducing the flipper sensitivity yet? I would like to have this machine less sensitive as I'm not used to this. I was thinking possibly increasing the gap on the flipper leafs?

#1630 6 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Have any of you owners tried reducing the flipper sensitivity yet? I would like to have this machine less sensitive as I'm not used to this. I was thinking possibly increasing the gap on the flipper leafs?

Sure, I adjust the gap on all of my pins

#1631 6 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Craig streams the new 2.2 code update for Pinball Brothers Alien

Craig has been great and the best resource we've had highlighting this game.
I personally am not too ready for my Q2 release until PB get some more kinks worked out so the game comes with these known issue fixes implemented. I thank Craig and others for there front line work getting this all worked out for the rest of us.

#1632 6 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I did that immediately, yeah. Also make sure the tensioner is actually touching the leaf

#1633 6 months ago

My replacement stand up targets shipped out today.

#1634 6 months ago

Version 2 switches are not much better. They get stuck just as easy. Hopefully version 3 will be better.

#1635 6 months ago
Quoted from gliebig:

My replacement stand up targets shipped out today.

Mine as well but only version 2 I believe, version 3 aren’t available yet I understand. I have already replaced the little switches on 4 of them and sanded down the little boards to try to prevent them from sticking too much.

#1636 6 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

But, my pinball friends don't like when I do that!
Hwy P.B.?? Give us a Co-Op mode! It's super fun. I had it on my ACNC. Great feature!!

Great on Total Nuclear Annihilation. Great feature to have on any game.

#1637 6 months ago

I just installed the Start and Launch buttons from Bill at Super Skill Shot Shooters. As always his products are beautifully made. I had to wait for the 12v bulbs to come in from Comet before installing as brado426 noted earlier in the thread As he also stated the "lugs" for the spade connectors are smaller on the Pinball Brothers version and I just took my Dremel to shave them down a little. I did send a picture to Bill and let him know for future orders. please forgive my video, I thought by changing to "landscape" it would be better but oh well

Alien Switch (resized).jpg
#1638 6 months ago

UPDATE:
From my earlier post regarding the "issues" I was having with the game.

1: I received the new Version 2 of the "skinny" targets from pinball Brothers and I still went ahead and sanded the edge as shown in the earlier post. (see pic) because they still appeared that they could get suck closed with a hard enough shot. I installed them and they've been working without any problems now.

2: I also received the coin box, which was missing in the game in another package from Cato.

3: I got a new Alien Playfield Board 6 to fix the issue with the right ramp opto not working and I'm happy to report that replacing the board fixed that issue.

So as of right now my game is playing without any issues whatsoever. i had no doubt that Pinball Brothers would make everything ok, Cato in support has been nothing short of incredible. The last thing that is on Cato's radar is to tweak the software so that the Xeno catching the ball is more consistent. Adding foam behind the targets didn't help me much as I'm convinced it's a timing issue in the software. I'm confident that they will get this done.

This game is so addicting and immersive and I'm loving it!

Red Devils out...

9ca47d819f51a357f8c71a7384c2272ad8877637 (resized).jpg
#1639 6 months ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

I just installed the Start and Launch buttons from Bill at Super Skill Shot Shooters. As always his products are beautifully made. I had to wait for the 12v bulbs to come in from Comet before installing as brado426 noted earlier in the thread As he also stated the "lugs" for the spade connectors are smaller on the Pinball Brothers version and I just took my Dremel to shave them down a little. I did send a picture to Bill and let him know for future orders. please forgive my video, I thought by changing to "landscape" it would be better but oh well
[quoted image]

Hmm... I bought 12V comet bulbs also, but the ones I got wouldn't fit in the START button. They do fit in the BALL LAUNCH button. The circumference of the circular part of the bulb is too big to fit in all the way so it won't snap into place. These are the bulbs I got:

pasted_image (resized).png

Bill said he would send me different bulbs that do fit.

#1640 6 months ago

So you only have to shave the lugs with a dremel tool and buy and install the proper 12v bulbs so you don't heat up and destroy the front of the cabinet and possibly the light board to use this mod? And you applaud that!

#1641 6 months ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

So you only have to shave the lugs with a dremel tool and buy and install the proper 12v bulbs so you don't heat up and destroy the front of the cabinet and possibly the light board to use this mod? And you applaud that!

I don't think you get it. The buttons were originally made for the Heighway Robbery Alien. We knew that already. We are helping Bill modify his product to work with the Pinball Brothers Alien, which he is extremely responsive and receptive to.

By the way... there is no need to shave off any lugs. Just use the switches that came with the PB Alien. I recommended to Bill that he not include switches at all to avoid confusion.

#1642 6 months ago

Got it! Thanks

#1643 6 months ago
Quoted from brado426:

By the way... there is no need to shave off any lugs. Just use the switches that came with the PB Alien. I recommended to Bill that he not include switches at all to avoid confusion.

You could also do that, it's 5 minutes work either way, no big deal

Quoted from brado426:

Hmm... I bought 12V comet bulbs also,

I'm sorry my friend I should have mentioned that I also got 2 bulbs from Cointaker (#161 12v) which fit perfectly and those are the ones I used, because like you I found that the one from Comet wouldn't fit the Start button.

#1644 6 months ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

UPDATE:
1: I received the new Version 2 of the "skinny" targets from pinball Brothers and I still went ahead and sanded the edge as shown in the earlier post. (see pic) because they still appeared that they could get suck closed with a hard enough shot. I installed them and they've been working without any problems now.
2: I also received the coin box, which was missing in the game in another package from Cato.
3: I got a new Alien Playfield Board 6 to fix the issue with the right ramp opto not working and I'm happy to report that replacing the board fixed that issue.
So as of right now my game is playing without any issues whatsoever. i had no doubt that Pinball Brothers would make everything ok, Cato in support has been nothing short of incredible. The last thing that is on Cato's radar is to tweak the software so that the Xeno catching the ball is more consistent. Adding foam behind the targets didn't help me much as I'm convinced it's a timing issue in the software. I'm confident that they will get this done.
Red Devils out...
[quoted image]

How many switches are we talking about?

#1645 6 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

How many switches are we talking about?

If you mean the "skinny" targets there are 5 that were replaced. I did tell Pinball Brothers about ti and they said they are working on Version 3 of these switches. But mine are now working perfectly.
When I got the replacements I did notice that if you push them then they "could" stick I just wanted to be proactive and not take any chances that it could happen. Each one takes a few minutes to do. I did it before removing the original ones . It's so easy to remove and install pretty much anything on this game, it's made very modular. Changing the node board only took maybe 10 minutes.

#1646 6 months ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

[quoted image]

Quoted from Red_Devils:

If you mean the "skinny" targets there are 5 that were replaced. I did tell Pinball Brothers about ti and they said they are working on Version 3 of these switches. But mine are now working perfectly.
When I got the replacements I did notice that if you push them then they "could" stick I just wanted to be proactive and not take any chances that it could happen. Each one takes a few minutes to do. I did it before removing the original ones . It's so easy to remove and install pretty much anything on this game, it's made very modular. Changing the node board only took maybe 10 minutes.

Hope you dont have to do a road trip when mine arrives. you got it all down.

#1647 6 months ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

UPDATE:
Red Devils out...
[quoted image]

I replaced my targets with the version 2 ones as well and after one solid hit the target, board, and metal plate behind it went all crooked and jammed up. I guess I’ll try filing down the PCB board down and see if that helps. I had the screws that holds everything together tight too and they still went crooked after a direct hit. I’m not convinced they had the right idea here. Why don’t they just make the metal plate behind everything a lot wider and the actual target wider so there is no way the board can interfere or get jammed up? I’m hoping version 3 will be better.

Cato also sent me a replacement left post assembly and an extra post to fix my broken one. I have been out of town working so I have not had a chance to swap that out yet. Once I do, I’ll actually have a whole replacement assembly for the left post. I completely agree that Cato had been great with offering support and sending out parts.

#1648 6 months ago

So after reading through the "original" Alien thread while waiting for this one. I really liked the motion tracker mod. So I got in touch with the guy who made them originally and asked if he would be willing to revise the mod to work on the PB Alien, he said he would. So I'm happy to show you the fruits of his labor, here's a couple of pics of the motion tracker mod installed on my PB Alien. It's fantastic as anybody who has it installed on their original will tell you. If you are interested in getting one for your machine contact Vimtoman via PM for pricing and availability. He's a great guy to work with!
Sorry for the crappy pics they really don't do it justice.

20210717_164504 (resized).jpg20210717_164533 (resized).jpg
#1649 6 months ago

Come to think of it, once I get home I’m gonna take the targets apart, file the edges of the PCB board down as red devils did and then use some blue locktite to tighten the parts down and maybe that will stop them from shifting after getting hit with the ball. Definitely worth a try.

#1650 6 months ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

So after reading through the "original" Alien thread while waiting for this one. I really liked the motion tracker mod. So I got in touch with the guy who made them originally and asked if he would be willing to revise the mod to work on the PB Alien, he said he would. So I'm happy to show you the fruits of his labor, here's a couple of pics of the motion tracker mod installed on my PB Alien. It's fantastic as anybody who has it installed on their original will tell you. If you are interested in getting one for your machine contact Vimtoman via PM for pricing and availability. He's a great guy to work with!
Sorry for the crappy pics they really don't do it justice.[quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome!

There are 5,198 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 104.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside