Alien pinball (resized).jpg
20240414_165244 (resized).jpg
20240307_181954 (resized).jpg
20240307_180602 (resized).jpg
IMG_5412 (resized).jpg
IMG_5411 (resized).jpg
IMG_9571 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 18,775 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 376.
#1451 2 years ago

Thank you delt31 for your thorough review and insights from a former OG owner.

Agree on the lockdown bar. My issue is with the latches themselves. You need to push them almost closed before lowering the playfield or they can get caught under the rails and you won’t realize it until you put the lockdown bar on and try to latch them but can’t. Then you need to slightly lift the playfield, hold the latches tight against the front, and then lower the playfield. I don’t like latches on lockdown bars in general (I like the BW receiver handles) but these are worse than Sterns.

Quick update on mine: I had not turned mine on in several weeks as I was at a point where I just wanted some of the software bugs fixed before playing it more. Went to power it on with software update USB in hand, and just got a black screen with the CPU fan running. I’m currently working w/ Cato on what the issue is. Frustrating. But Cato is awesome and I’m sure we’ll figure it out.

#1452 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

...As brado426 indicated that after the upgrade he found the tongue moves faster at startup and isn't as loud

Concerning this, i can tell you that it's something you can't miss if you know your machine !

#1453 2 years ago

Has anybody noticed that the playfield hold down screws interfere with the lock down bar at all?

#1454 2 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Has anybody noticed that the playfield hold down screws interfere with the lock down bar at all?

No, but I just tossed them in the coinbox after lifting the playfield a few times.

#1455 2 years ago

Here's an issue I reported that I think others are having. In rare occasions, the ball jumps up and gets stuck on top of this flipper. PB says they have seen this issue and will come up with a fix for it. If the ball gets stuck on top of this flipper, no nudging is going to release it.

IMG_20210628_092803147 (resized).jpgIMG_20210628_092803147 (resized).jpg

#1456 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Thanks delt31 for the detailed review.
You mentioned you hate the lockdown bar, can you elaborate? Is it the way it latches or the feel when you're playing?
Also have you done the s/w upgrade? As brado426 indicated that after the upgrade he found the tongue moves faster at startup and isn't as loud

The way it latches. It feels like any solid lock down bar. Minor issue IMO.

#1457 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

The way it latches. It feels like any solid lock down bar. Minor issue IMO.

I agree. But I admit, the Williams lock down bar is the best design ever!

#1458 2 years ago

seems an easy tweak, with some theme imagination/integradtion, to a DIY small mod there with the available screw...

Quoted from brado426:

Here's an issue I reported that I think others are having. In rare occasions, the ball jumps up and gets stuck on top of this flipper. PB says they have seen this issue and will come up with a fix for it. If the ball gets stuck on top of this flipper, no nudging is going to release it.
[quoted image]

#1459 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

No, but I just tossed them in the coinbox after lifting the playfield a few times.

Coinbox, you got a coinbox???????

#1460 2 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

Coinbox, you got a coinbox???????

Yes. It was packed outside of the game itself. The coin box cover was also wrapped separately.

#1461 2 years ago

This led to having the feeling where in the movie they had to look at the actual bugs on the radar screen and then shoot just like I'm now doing in the pinball game (looking at the screen on the head unit and then back down to make my shots). Very cool.

Ok this sounds awesome..

#1462 2 years ago

I got these cool little things to see if i could find somewhere on the game to put them but they are glass...

0701211443 (resized).jpg0701211443 (resized).jpg

#1463 2 years ago

Has anyone done the pinstadium NEOs on their new game yet? Thinking about ordering them before it arrives.

#1464 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Has anyone done the pinstadium NEOs on their new game yet? Thinking about ordering them before it arrives.

I am trying to avoid putting them in so as not to affect the whole dark experience but I am having trouble playing it at night seeing the ball. I have them on a couple other pins and love them. They are adjustable so maybe with a real low blue light might just do the trick without taking away the experience. Would like to know also if anyone has them installed.

#1465 2 years ago

Red_Devils has them coming....we can get a nice update once installed.

#1466 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I got these cool little things to see if i could find somewhere on the game to put them but they are glass...
[quoted image]

Nice , I was looking at the full collection to place on a shelf above the back box....yes leds...lol

#1467 2 years ago

Hey there,

Has anyone noticed a sound effect delay with the playfield switches?

It seems that every switch I hit the sound effect doesn’t come on for 1 second?

#1468 2 years ago

Hello,

can someone tell me what thread the Phillips screws have that attach the flipper assembly to the playfield?
Heighway uses screw-in sleeves here, where the Phillips screws are screwed in.
Where can I get these?

regards
Averell

#1469 2 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

if you're not ready to tweak and fix minor issues then I guess owning a pinball machine at home isn't for you.

I'm not afraid of the issues, they will be resolved one way or another. I'm contemplating streaming the unboxing and setup. Not very exciting if it's a 300 lbs. doorstop.

Quoted from delt31:

See my impressions below.

Thanks for posting this.

#1470 2 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

Yes. It was packed outside of the game itself. The coin box cover was also wrapped separately.

???
Never heard someone received it before !

#1471 2 years ago
Quoted from Cgpinhead:

Hey there,
Has anyone noticed a sound effect delay with the playfield switches?
It seems that every switch I hit the sound effect doesn’t come on for 1 second?

I have noticed that. Not sure if it's just the sound or the whole game lagging behind a bit. Stuff like hitting a weapon standup, the ball will be half way down the playfield again sometimes before the light turns on or you hear the click sound effect

#1472 2 years ago

UPDATE: there are three USB lines that go from the backbox monitor/computer to a box under the playfield. USB2 and USB3 were swapped. After correcting I can boot and play! Customer service has been great so far. Cato is on the ball.

#1473 2 years ago

I've been having increasingly frequent issues where most of my playfield locks up. Switches stop responding, lights lock on in wrong colors, and the whole game just stops working (except flippers, slings, etc). Reboot is the only way to fix it. Tried replacing that black ethernet cable people mentioned but no dice and no word from PB about it yet Poor Cato is trying his best but I think he needs help.... I've submitted about 18 tickets at this point documenting various issues and bugs I've noticed and only gotten responses to maybe 5.

#1474 2 years ago

Just got mine unboxed yesterday. Felted the scoop to stop drains, but am now having flipper issues. Going to try smoothing out the bushings and go from there. Any other flipper suggestions are welcome!

#1475 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've submitted about 18 tickets at this point

Wow! I'm not sure if creating a separate ticket for each issue is the way to do it. I created my one initial ticket and then piggy backed on that same ticket for all the other things I experienced (sticky targets, opto issue, etc) Cato has been fantastic in answering each and every time. But I think you are right he does need help, but where else can you get support from one of the actual programmers of the game, who's trying his best to write code and fix issues put out service bulletins and answer help tickets! It does appear that my Opto issue may in fact be a board problem after further investigation with Cato, I unplugged both connectors for the opto on board 6 and the green LED stays on, Cato said that isn't supposed to happen. he is testing/programming a new board on Monday and will ship it out to me. I mean the customer support from Pinball Brothers is excellent, sure we have to deal with the time difference and we want them to respond within minutes, but that's just human nature. I for one couldn't be happier with the level of support and if you're on the fence about ordering one of these machines, don't be. By the time yours is shipped I'm positive all these minor issues will have been addressed and you will be playing one of the best machines for theme integration and just sheer fun you can get. In the crazy current climate of pinball pricing this machine is the deal of the year for what you get for your money.

#1476 2 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

Wow! I'm not sure if creating a separate ticket for each issue is the way to do it. I created my one initial ticket and then piggy backed on that same ticket for all the other things I experienced (sticky targets, opto issue, etc) Cato has been fantastic in answering each and every time. But I think you are right he does need help, but where else can you get support from one of the actual programmers of the game, who's trying his best to write code and fix issues put out service bulletins and answer help tickets! It does appear that my Opto issue may in fact be a board problem after further investigation with Cato, I unplugged both connectors for the opto on board 6 and the green LED stays on, Cato said that isn't supposed to happen. he is testing/programming a new board on Monday and will ship it out to me. I mean the customer support from Pinball Brothers is excellent, sure we have to deal with the time difference and we want them to respond within minutes, but that's just human nature. I for one couldn't be happier with the level of support and if you're on the fence about ordering one of these machines, don't be. By the time yours is shipped I'm positive all these minor issues will have been addressed and you will be playing one of the best machines for theme integration and just sheer fun you can get. In the crazy current climate of pinball pricing this machine is the deal of the year for what you get for your money.

I was going to cancel my deposit for the LV and roll it into GODZILLA , but after seeing what you have posed I am staying onboard in the first round when they get made/shipped.

Sad I gotta let 2 babies go.....

#1477 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've been having increasingly frequent issues where most of my playfield locks up. Switches stop responding, lights lock on in wrong colors, and the whole game just stops working (except flippers, slings, etc). Reboot is the only way to fix it. Tried replacing that black ethernet cable people mentioned but no dice and no word from PB about it yet Poor Cato is trying his best but I think he needs help.... I've submitted about 18 tickets at this point documenting various issues and bugs I've noticed and only gotten responses to maybe 5.

I strongly suggest you take a look at USB1, 2 and 3. Take three small pieces of tape and label them 1, 2, 3. Wrap them on the end of the corresponding USB cable under the back box monitor so you know where they came from. Then you can remove them with no worries. Cut off the zip ties that bind them together and follow them to the other end. Are they plugged in to the corresponding ports on the box? Mine were not. I was able to play games for several days but it got increasingly worse until one day it was unplayable. Its worth a look. Its an easy step to take and you will have to rule it out at one point anyway. Hope this helps.

Screenshot_20210702-085130 (resized).pngScreenshot_20210702-085130 (resized).png
#1478 2 years ago
Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:

I was going to cancel my deposit for the LV and roll it into GODZILLA , but after seeing what you have posed I am staying onboard in the first round when they get made/shipped.
Sad I gotta let 2 babies go.....

LOL...I was actually in the middle of debating typing this. I'm the opposite. The more this goes on, and the more I look at other threads, I am thinking about cancelling.

I realized I would not accept this from ANY other industry. NONE. As hobbyists, we've basically put ourselves in this mindset that 'we' are lucky they are being made, when it really should be the other way around. 'They' should feel lucky we want to buy them. But in talking in another thread regarding opinions, I realized, I wouldn't put up with this in any other hobby. They would fix or replace or refund said item quickly. I realize we can say 'niche' but since it is niche it should be QUALITY out the door if they want to sell them.

That is not what we are getting from these companies. They've got us wrapped around their fingers and they know it, so they don't have to put quality out the door. It's pretty infuriating to be honest. They don't have to respond, they don't have to update code if they choose not to, they sure as hell don't have to offer any kind of refunds or discounts. They can completely ignore the issue and nothing happens. The 'it's pinball' so expect has morphed from used games with things that need fixed/tweaked to full on, don't expect a working game out of the box. That is completely crazy.

but at the same time...I am a pinball addict...so....who knows. I know companies like Spooky are listening, and it sounds like PB are as well, but when they can't get them out fast enough, where is the incentive to really improve?

Just had to get that off my chest.

#1479 2 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

can someone tell me what thread the Phillips screws have that attach the flipper assembly to the playfield?
Heighway uses screw-in sleeves here, where the Phillips screws are screwed in.
Where can I get these?

Are these the screws you are asking about? I don't know what the thread is but I do know it's a 6mm hex head and would hazard a guess that the thread is also 6mm, sorry I don't know what the pitch is

Flipper (resized).JPGFlipper (resized).JPG
#1480 2 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:

I strongly suggest you take a look at USB1, 2 and 3. Take three small pieces of tape and label them 1, 2, 3. Wrap them on the end of the corresponding USB cable under the back box monitor so you know where they came from. Then you can remove them with no worries. Cut off the zip ties that bind them together and follow them to the other end. Are they plugged in to the corresponding ports on the box? Mine were not. I was able to play games for several days but it got increasingly worse until one day it was unplayable. Its worth a look. Its an easy step to take and you will have to rule it out at one point anyway. Hope this helps.
[quoted image]

I'm not exactly sure what you're describing... Are you saying one of your USB cables wasn't actually plugged into the box under the playfield? Or just that they were mismatched, and it's important that USB 1 in the head goes to USB 1 on the playfield, etc?

#1481 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I'm not exactly sure what you're describing... Are you saying one of your USB cables wasn't actually plugged into the box under the playfield? Or just that they were mismatched, and it's important that USB 1 in the head goes to USB 1 on the playfield, etc?

Usb1 to Usb1 and so on, seems like they mixed them up at the factory for some.

#1482 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

They were mismatched. For me the LCD end of #2 was plugged in box #3, and the LCD #3 was plugged into box #2. I just had to swap them so it is 2-2 and 3-3.

Sorry it is confusing to write.

#1483 2 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

I received my replacement Opto PCBs and they did not fix the problem with BALL LOCK 1 Opto (Elevator 1 Opto 57). So it looks like my problem is also with that PCB (Alien Playfield Board 8). I pulled the board out and tested the components, comparing them with the other working opto ports and everything tested good. I even traced that opto out to the serial chip and power and continuity seems good. In my case though, the green LED never comes on. If I plug the same opto PCBs into another opto port (like Opto 58), they work fine. So Cato said he was going to send me a replacement board too. Sounds like that board has had trouble in the past, which is why they did some redesign on it.

The thing that is really cool about all this is how easy it is to troubleshoot this stuff. The frustrating thing is that I lack experience in dealing with tiny surface mounted components, so I highly doubt I could fix the problem myself.

#1484 2 years ago
Quoted from brado426:

I received my replacement Opto PCBs and they did not fix the problem with BALL LOCK 1 Opto (Elevator 1 Opto 57). So it looks like my problem is also with that PCB (Alien Playfield Board 8).

It appears that it's Alien Playfield Board 6 on mine, funnily enough that is the same board that I had the initial issue with the bad CAT-5e cable, coincidence?
Who knows, but with the help of Cato in support I'm confident we both will be shooting Aliens without any more issues soon enough He did want me to test the opto boards themselves by plugging it in to Playfield Board 8 #68 but I'm unsure of how to tell if it registers since it is in a different spot so how do I do an edge test?

I'm sure I read earlier in this thread that someone else is having issues with Playfield Board 6 but I think his is a lot worse, by saying the whole right side of his playfield switches aren't registering, with mine it's just the right ramp doesn't register, which does make it impossible to finish any of the modes

Pinball Brothers have already shipped out my skinny target replacements and the new opto boards, they just moved quicker than Cato would have liked because now he's sure that it's the board that has the issue and not the opto boards. But he said he will ship me a new Playfield Board 6 and a coinbox next week. the support from Pinball Brothers is exceptional!

#1485 2 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

It appears that it's Alien Playfield Board 6 on mine, funnily enough that is the same board that I had the initial issue with the bad CAT-5e cable, coincidence?
Who knows, but with the help of Cato in support I'm confident we both will be shooting Aliens without any more issues soon enough He did want me to test the opto boards themselves by plugging it in to Playfield Board 8 #68 but I'm unsure of how to tell if it registers since it is in a different spot so how do I do an edge test?
I'm sure I read earlier in this thread that someone else is having issues with Playfield Board 6 but I think his is a lot worse, by saying the whole right side of his playfield switches aren't registering, with mine it's just the right ramp doesn't register, which does make it impossible to finish any of the modes
Pinball Brothers have already shipped out my skinny target replacements and the new opto boards, they just moved quicker than Cato would have liked because now he's sure that it's the board that has the issue and not the opto boards. But he said he will ship me a new Playfield Board 6 and a coinbox next week. the support from Pinball Brothers is exceptional!

You can just look at that green LED under the playfield where the opto plugs in. Just plug in the pair of opto connectors to a different opto and pass your hand in front of the opto and see if the green light goes off when your hand breaks the line of sight. You can do the switch test too, but easier just to look at the LED to tell.

#1486 2 years ago
Quoted from brado426:

You can just look at that green LED under the playfield where the opto plugs in

Thank you!

#1487 2 years ago

Anyone else having issues registering Vent 3 rollovers? Fast shots from upper flipper not getting picked up ,works for slower shots.

#1488 2 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:

They were mismatched. For me the LCD end of #2 was plugged in box #3, and the LCD #3 was plugged into box #2. I just had to swap them so it is 2-2 and 3-3.
Sorry it is confusing to write.

Okay, that makes sense! I tried to trace all the wires through, but, how do I tell which is 1 and which is 2 on the backbox box? The diagram just points to the group of two ports and says USB 1+2, and there's no labels on the actual machine. Are you assuming they're in the same order listed (so the higher up one on the diagram is #1)?

Quoted from Chopper36:

Anyone else having issues registering Vent 3 rollovers? Fast shots from upper flipper not getting picked up ,works for slower shots.

I was on the old code almost every time. With the new code it hasn't missed one yet

#1489 2 years ago

What’s up with these node boards? I’m having a replacement board #6 sent to me, someone else is having issues with the same board, another one with problems on board #8. WTF? Don’t they test these things before installing them in the game?

#1490 2 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

I just double-checked my board 6 and it seems fine. Ramp Opto is working perfectly as far as I can tell. Only issue I have with the whole game is Opto on board 8.

#1491 2 years ago

Updated the new code 2.2 on our location Alien and boy did they ever fix the xenomorph ball grab timing. Played several games code is working through some of our previous bugs we found. Looking forward to more updates to make this game sweeter. Tomorrow we will check the usb 1,2 3 connections from backbox to under playfield as we have had it freeze up on us previously from time to time over the last 2 months intermittently. But overall still a fantastic game.

#1492 2 years ago

I unboxed it ,set it up updated the code. Only thing I had to fix was the trough VUK, played about 20 games and it works 100% so far . Looks great , sounds great, shots are smooth as butter. Game play is super immersive, for me it’s a 10. Love it! Now to figure out all the rules …

2BC461D7-C709-44C9-8DEC-9A76210294F2 (resized).jpeg2BC461D7-C709-44C9-8DEC-9A76210294F2 (resized).jpeg5CF51BAF-6574-46D1-AB6F-F84E66AA0DA9 (resized).jpeg5CF51BAF-6574-46D1-AB6F-F84E66AA0DA9 (resized).jpegDB09F6A3-26D6-402C-831B-71A5C89216C1 (resized).jpegDB09F6A3-26D6-402C-831B-71A5C89216C1 (resized).jpeg
#1493 2 years ago

Just updated the code and got hypersleep mb for the first time on game one.

#1494 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Okay, that makes sense! I tried to trace all the wires through, but, how do I tell which is 1 and which is 2 on the backbox box? The diagram just points to the group of two ports and says USB 1+2, and there's no labels on the actual machine. Are you assuming they're in the same order listed (so the higher up one on the diagram is #1)?

I was on the old code almost every time. With the new code it hasn't missed one yet

Yes, the ports are in the order listed. #1 is closest to the monitor, #2 is behind it

#1495 2 years ago

Thanks so much for everyone sharing their experience so far. Absolutely love the honesty and can't wait to get my hands on this game!

#1496 2 years ago

been about two weeks and I'm still really enjoying this Alien. couple minor issues but I got them ironed out within a few days and it has been solid since.

my buddy just visited for a few days and wasn't interested in Alien that much.. by the 2nd day here he went on Cointaker and signed up for the LV. LVs should sell out soon with how fast the word is getting out...

I had no idea that there were less than 200 Heighway versions made.. so with how few PB versions are out, there are still less than 300 total Aliens to be played on the planet right now..

I think with this PB roll out it will allow more people to play Alien and cement it's place as one of the most unique pinball experiences to date.

watch Alien climb to the top 10, it shouldn't take long.. this game is undeniable.

#1497 2 years ago

I highly recommend this super easy enhancement to your Alien. Get rid of that wimpy orange bulb from the LAUNCH BALL button and put in a nice, bright, 2-LED bulb. SOOO much better! It's the little things.

VID_20210622_084113120.gifVID_20210622_084113120.gif

#1498 2 years ago

Go to www.superskillshot.com and check his Alien Start and Launch buttons!

#1499 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Go to www.superskillshot.com and check his Alien shooter rods and buttons.

Wow! That looks pretty cool! I conveniently forgot to tell my wife that $7,777 was only the beginning. hahaha

#1500 2 years ago
Quoted from brado426:

Wow! That looks pretty cool! I conveniently forgot to tell my wife that $7,777 was only the beginning. hahaha

Ya, my buddy just bought the start button. I hope he posts a pic of it soon.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Brownsburg, IN
$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Mckinney, TX
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 160.00
$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 18,775 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 376.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club/page/30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.