Alien pinball (resized).jpg
20240414_165244 (resized).jpg
20240307_181954 (resized).jpg
20240307_180602 (resized).jpg
IMG_5412 (resized).jpg
IMG_5411 (resized).jpg
IMG_9571 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 18,775 posts in this topic. You are on page 270 of 376.
#13451 1 year ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Two games in a row went south from the ball getting stuck on the hypersleep ramp. Mech seems to be trapping it.
Was it my imagination or did someone just have this problem. Curious if it's easy to fix. [quoted image]

Funny how this only happens at around 100 million, seriously though, the mechanism is a bit grindy and I think if it's not completely plumb little metal burs form on the shaft they restrict it from starting. For now I put a little grease on the shaft.

#13452 1 year ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Just edited my post earlier about the Alien mini jaw mod.
Here's a link to the thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-mini-jaw-mod#post-7462315

You can find them here: https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/alien-pinball-mini-jaw-mod

#13453 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Wait you guys are saying you don't trap the ball with the top flipper? Amateurs!
Just throwing this out there..I know many of you paid more, but I'm telling you paying $7777 a few years ago for everything this game has seems like a steal compared to everything else coming out now.

anything NIB for under 10K now IS a steal..fml

#13454 1 year ago
Quoted from dri:

I had the early bird SV for $7777 and it's way more game than anything I've seen this month. Ok, GF is rather packed, but not compared to any of the others.

Yup. One of the best deals I ever got. No taxes and under $500 shipping so just over 8k delivered.

#13455 1 year ago

It's cool, but I am not paying that price..lol Is it molded out of platinum?

#13456 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

close ....silver...

#13457 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Thanks for the compliment and congrats on scoring a super deal on your Alien. It's 8.5dwt of s.silver plus the cost of caster and the polisher. If it was in platinum it would be between 4 to 500. If platinum is your thing and you're interested hit me up.

#13458 1 year ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Thanks for the compliment and congrats on scoring a super deal on your Alien. It's 8.5dwt of s.silver plus the cost of caster and the polisher. If it was in platinum it would be between 4 to 500. If platinum is your thing and you're interested hit me up.

Now we are talking...At first I thought it was just a 3d printed plastic thing, price is justified now....lol

#13459 1 year ago

I think its been mentioned on here before - but is it confirmed that pulling power from the CPU USB port is a no-no? I want to just add some 5v LED lighting and it would just be super easy to use the USB port?

#13460 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I also was shocked how expensive this is. Just way more than my budget for something like that!

#13461 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunder22:

Funny how this only happens at around 100 million, seriously though, the mechanism is a bit grindy and I think if it's not completely plumb little metal burs form on the shaft they restrict it from starting. For now I put a little grease on the shaft.

As it turns out on the top of the ramp where the bend is the width narrowed. Bent it back out and it's shooting up better than ever. Now I know all those rejects wasn't totally my fault.

#13462 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

I think its been mentioned on here before - but is it confirmed that pulling power from the CPU USB port is a no-no? I want to just add some 5v LED lighting and it would just be super easy to use the USB port?

No harm in that at all. Your totally fine.

#13463 1 year ago

Those nights you waste 3 hours trying to program chips thinking you ordered chip A when in fact you ordered chip B doh...

#13464 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Quoted from paulbaptiste:

This is a disputed topic. I would highly recommend not using the USB for power. Multiple people have reported that they have experienced problems when doing so. Not worth the risk.

#13465 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

This is a disputed topic. I would highly recommend not using the USB for power. Multiple people have reported that they have experienced problems when doing so. Not worth the risk.

And there is probably 10 times the amount of people plugged into it right now with no problems. I don’t vividly remember each post here but honestly don’t recall anyone having an actual issue from plugging in led lights to the USB. I’ve literally done that on almost every game I own and have never had an issue.

You make your own choices of course. You do you.

#13466 1 year ago

And there is probably 10 times the amount of people plugged into it right now with no problems. I don’t vividly remember each post here but honestly don’t recall anyone having an actual issue from plugging in led lights to the USB. I’ve literally done that on almost every game I own and have never had an issue.
You make your own choices of course. You do you.

As soon as i tried my machine locked up.... but i was a very early run, so maybe they addressed it. I went with separate power supply for mods but that is me to each his own.

#13467 1 year ago

Not true. You will start to get random reboots because the usb port gets hot. Ask me how I know this.

#13468 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Not true. You will start to get random reboots because the usb port gets hot. Ask me how I know this.

I've not had this at all and I have a early run game. Now, I don't know that I would recommend plugging into the outbox, but the PC usb's should be fine. If you're getting reboots because of pulling 5v from that, you've got other issues. I have 2 5v USB strips plugged into the PC since I've had it.

I will caveat saying that the LV's seem to have a lot of hardware changes in them, so YMMV.

#13469 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I've not had this at all and I have a early run game. Now, I don't know that I would recommend plugging into the outbox, but the PC usb's should be fine. If you're getting reboots because of pulling 5v from that, you've got other issues. I have 2 5v USB strips plugged into the PC since I've had it.
I will caveat saying that the LV's seem to have a lot of hardware changes in them, so YMMV.

No other issues. After I unplugged the 2 led strips from the usb ports the problem went away. I instead got a y splitter that I plugged into the cord that plugs into the PSU and put a power strip inside the cab that has usb port power 2. I plug in the 2 led strips and my pinstadiums into the power strip and now also have a service outlet for my soldering tools.
A lot cheaper than having to replace the computer on Alien down the line for over heating..

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=41094&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PMax:+Smart+Shopping+Monoprice+-+Power+%26+Surge+Cables&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&hsa_acc=6614305189&hsa_cam=17499847838&hsa_grp=&hsa_ad=&hsa_src=x&hsa_tgt=&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2cWgBhDYARIsALggUhrZLwHhsEiPNbAEUwEK0-5pB_dtPl-7FVHBqqF2xJKEhZjvakpQIkAaAq2MEALw_wcB

#13470 1 year ago

I know we've went through this before, but you are not going to burn up the pc by plugging in 5v to the USB for an item sized for USB. It simply isn't going to happen unless the items are faulty. I can't speak to what you plugged into it (or maybe you have a different model pc?), but if it caused you to reboot, there's something else causing it. If the PC was lacking the power to power it from the USB, the item would simply flash on and off or not work at all. You aren't going to overheat the PC other than heat form lights in general...and again, if that's the case, you got bigger issues. I would actually guess that your issue was probably more related to a bug in the software at the time.

Pinstadiums? I doubt you would want to do that but I think those are 12v expected and more amps? I've never used them.

Now, all that being said, I'm not leaving my game on for 12 hours a day (although I did leave it on for 3 days straight for bug testing). I do not disagree that the proper way to do it is to pull from the PSU. I just think the FUD around the USB ports needs to be addressed.

#13471 1 year ago

Can someone post a couple pics of their playfield where the ramps drop the ball? I am wanting to compare my playfields dimpling with others who have had their machines longer. I have about 50 plays on my SV so far. I did put Mylar under the ramp drops last night.

#13472 1 year ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

Can someone post a couple pics of their playfield where the ramps drop the ball? I am wanting to compare my playfields dimpling with others who have had their machines longer. I have about 50 plays on my SV so far. I did put Mylar under the ramp drops last night.

This game dimples, and it shows.

#13473 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

True statement. I can deal with it dimples I just wasn’t sure what would be considered extreme. On my Sterns they don’t seem to stand out as much under ramp drops. I guess it could be the glossy black that make them seem more noticeable

#13474 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I wonder if it shows more because of the greater percentage of solid black on the pf? I never pay much attention to it because it happens on all of my pins.

#13475 1 year ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

I wonder if it shows more because of the greater percentage of solid black on the pf? I never pay much attention to it because it happens on all of my pins.

True statement. I can deal with it dimples I just wasn’t sure what would be considered extreme. On my Sterns they don’t seem to stand out as much under ramp drops. I guess it could be the glossy black that make them seem more noticeable

Yeah, I think it's the shiny black and the way the light hits it that makes it more noticeable. I'm not sure if it is more about the black or the solid color though.

#13476 1 year ago

I put a square of Mylar under the ramp drops maybe that will help a bit

#13477 1 year ago
Quoted from dri:

Thanks all for the replies. I confirmed my cab is like a cheese wedge with a ~5mm/0.2" diff between the bottom and to top measured across the side rails.

So how many of these Alien LV's are effected by this issue? I am a little worried about getting mine now?

#13478 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

So how many of these Alien LV's are effected by this issue? I am a little worried about getting mine now?

We had one. Tried to take the glass out and it fell on the playfield.They said it expanded during shipping... Another cabinet was sent to us. The second cabinet seems okay so far. We also bought a second game. This one was fine (as far as the glass and cabinet). They both seem to freeze quite often even after several updates. I imagine it will all get sorted. They do pretty well in earnings. Everyone of our regulars seem to be pretty understanding.

#13479 1 year ago
Quoted from Flips365:

We had one. Tried to take the glass out and it fell on the playfield.They said it expanded during shipping... Another cabinet was sent to us. The second cabinet seems okay so far. We also bought a second game. This one was fine (as far as the glass and cabinet). They both seem to freeze quite often even after several updates. I imagine it will all get sorted. They do pretty well in earnings. Everyone of our regulars seem to be pretty understanding.

That is good to know if I get a bad cab they will send me a new one.

#13480 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:That is good to know if I get a bad cab they will send me a new one.

So long as it's populated.

#13481 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

So long as it's populated.

Had just a few harness, buttons, switches, we had to port over the playfield, back box, legs power supply, woofer, coin door and pc. Took less than an hour with two of us. Maybe just at an hour. Seemed fast.

#13482 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

I just tried this with my arduino nano and it sometimes messes up the xeno grabbing the ball, and even extending the tongue. Gonna use a buck converter and tap into something else. Unfortunate that the usb ports can’t be used for bus power.

#13483 1 year ago

Here is the current rev of my sentry gun mod.

#13484 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

I just tried this with my arduino nano and it sometimes messes up the xeno grabbing the ball, and even extending the tongue. Gonna use a buck converter and tap into something else. Unfortunate that the usb ports can’t be used for bus power.

Interesting. Was this with something running off of it? Those g90 servos pull quite a bit of mA spikes. I'm going to run a buck converter as well for all the crap I'm doing, was testing it all tonight actually.

Also yours is an LV right?

Edit: Most computer USB 2 ports supply maximum current of 0.5A, USB3 (which I don't believe any of the monitor or cab USB are) is .9A and a single g90 pulls around ~600mA top end, so 2 of them would take you over the .5 considerably.

#13485 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Interesting. Was this with something running off of it? Those g90 servos pull quite a bit of mA spikes. I'm going to run a buck converter as well for all the crap I'm doing, was testing it all tonight actually.
Also yours is an LV right?
Edit: Most computer USB 2 ports supply maximum current of 0.5A, USB3 (which I don't believe any of the monitor or cab USB are) is .9A and a single g90 pulls around ~600mA top end, so 2 of them would take you over the .5 considerably.

I’m running the arduino nano, and split the servos onto one channel. I’ll reply to your email when I get to my computer. I kinda like the other guy’s idea of splitting the A/C power, before the computer, then running a power strip like he did. I can tell that it’s messing up the xeno at times, when my game has been flawless since tonight’s usb insertion.
EDIT:::: After a few other games, the main screen went black..so definitely not a good idea to put any load on the usb ports..maybe a small string of lights, but after what I witnessed, I'm keeping those slots unused..I unplugged the guns, and the game ran flawless again..and this is the LV #61 (pictured in the video above).

#13486 1 year ago

On my Sterns they don’t seem to stand out as much under ramp drops

Sterns have mylar at ramp drops and the entire inlane these days. My LV was cluttered with dimples at the ramp drops from factory play testing. Just put a square of mylar there and you'll be fine.

#13487 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

I've designed a wedge that can be 3D printed for the defect cabs. I'm going to test it in mine first and put it on Thingiverse if it works. $0.44 worth of filament. I can't be asked to swap cabs when it's a $1 fix. The thinner and lesser AR glass is going in the trash though lol.

#13488 1 year ago
Quoted from Flips365:

Mine were wired backwards. Should be that the closest leaf to the button controls the flipper closest to the button. Trap the ball on the lower and......Wait are you messing with me? Hahaha. Seriously though. It's not working on mine either way it's wired. I did try it both ways. In test mode it's correct. During game it just doesn't work. Also, my games were both taking 4 coins on the left or 4 coins on the right to start a game. However in the audits one of the coin mechs showed $1 per coin instead of $ .25 per coin. First week I thought it earned about double any other game has ever earned. Until I looked for the problem. I knew that couldn't have been right. Anyone else have this game on location and seeing this?

The audits are fucked. You have to add coins left and coins right and divide by four. It gives you a crazy inflated dollar amount on its own. I told PB about this and they said they'd get right on it. That was around 8 months ago.

They also will not make me a fucking DBA harness.

#13489 1 year ago
Quoted from dri:

I've designed a wedge that can be 3D printed for the defect cabs. I'm going to test it in mine first and put it on Thingiverse if it works. $0.44 worth of filament. I can't be asked to swap cabs when it's a $1 fix. The thinner and lesser AR glass is going in the trash though lol.

I have voodoo on all my games but the standard glass on alien is super quality so ar glass is not needed! When you pull the standard glass it just feels super quality with those sanded edges!

#13490 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

I’m running the arduino nano, and split the servos onto one channel. I’ll reply to your email when I get to my computer. I kinda like the other guy’s idea of splitting the A/C power, before the computer, then running a power strip like he did. I can tell that it’s messing up the xeno at times, when my game has been flawless since tonight’s usb insertion.
EDIT:::: After a few other games, the main screen went black..so definitely not a good idea to put any load on the usb ports..maybe a small string of lights, but after what I witnessed, I'm keeping those slots unused..I unplugged the guns, and the game ran flawless again..and this is the LV #61 (pictured in the video above).

Yeah that is what i was getting at. Those servos draw more amps than the port can handle. Not like a string of lights designed for a USB port.

#13491 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

Here is the current rev of my sentry gun mod.

That is cool AF, man. I'd be down for one of those if you're offering. I like the ammo boxes and cable that moves, nice touch

#13492 1 year ago
Quoted from Lateralus:

That is cool AF, man. I'd be down for one of those if you're offering. I like the ammo boxes and cable that moves, nice touch

Unless someone decides to 3D print those guns that's going to be tough. There's a few versions out there, but they are few and far between and costly to tear apart. Those guns are premade toys.

#13493 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

No other issues. After I unplugged the 2 led strips from the usb ports the problem went away. I instead got a y splitter that I plugged into the cord that plugs into the PSU and put a power strip inside the cab that has usb port power 2. I plug in the 2 led strips and my pinstadiums into the power strip and now also have a service outlet for my soldering tools.
A lot cheaper than having to replace the computer on Alien down the line for over heating..
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=41094&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PMax:+Smart+Shopping+Monoprice+-+Power+%26+Surge+Cables&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&hsa_acc=6614305189&hsa_cam=17499847838&hsa_grp=&hsa_ad=&hsa_src=x&hsa_tgt=&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2cWgBhDYARIsALggUhrZLwHhsEiPNbAEUwEK0-5pB_dtPl-7FVHBqqF2xJKEhZjvakpQIkAaAq2MEALw_wcB

Sorry to sound totally dumb (I definitely am when it comes to anything electrical), but just to be clear, you simply tapped off the power to the internal psu with that Y splitter, then added a regular power strip/board (with usb outputs) inside the cab? If so did you need a mains socket adapter like this one (imagine its for a US plug, not an Australian one):

https://www.jaycar.com.au/iec-c14-male-to-3pin-mains-socket-150mm/p/PS4100?gclid=CjwKCAjw_MqgBhAGEiwAnYOAei1jbjFG8tOaL_xINbgiMLHKv-bWu9Rg62kBae4dq4E0mMWPGrf_bhoCwoEQAvD_BwE

Thanks!

#13494 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Sorry to sound totally dumb (I definitely am when it comes to anything electrical), but just to be clear, you simply tapped off the power to the internal psu with that Y splitter, then added a regular power strip/board (with usb outputs) inside the cab? If so did you need a mains socket adapter like this one (imagine its for a US plug, not an Australian one):
https://www.jaycar.com.au/iec-c14-male-to-3pin-mains-socket-150mm/p/PS4100?gclid=CjwKCAjw_MqgBhAGEiwAnYOAei1jbjFG8tOaL_xINbgiMLHKv-bWu9Rg62kBae4dq4E0mMWPGrf_bhoCwoEQAvD_BwE
Thanks!

Putting a splitter on the incoming PSU cord will result in an outlet that's always on.

It's quite easy to put a switched outlet on the game. Just cut off the male end of of an extension cord, strip the hot/neutral/ground wires, then piggyback onto the PSU hot/neutral/ground terminals.

0E1B2265-8AF9-4A34-A573-079A70B08F11 (resized).jpeg0E1B2265-8AF9-4A34-A573-079A70B08F11 (resized).jpeg

#13495 1 year ago

...because you need some extra wattage for this.

DE93AE99-7817-499C-833C-CA38D7934768 (resized).jpegDE93AE99-7817-499C-833C-CA38D7934768 (resized).jpeg

#13496 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Putting a splitter on the incoming PSU cord will result in an outlet that's always on.
It's quite easy to put a switched outlet on the game. Just cut off the male end of of an extension cord, strip the hot/neutral/ground wires, then piggyback onto the PSU hot/neutral/ground terminals.
[quoted image]

It's the united States, i heard you don't need no stinkin' power switches.

#13497 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

...because you need some extra wattage for this.
[quoted image]

Not really clear what you got going on there. Is that backglass screen split?

#13498 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Not really clear what you got going on there. Is that backglass screen split?

Yes - the one feature I missed about the Heighway version was the playfield screen, so I mirrored the main screen on the apron to get some of that immersion back.

4D491D1D-11BF-402D-84EC-1F77ADC7D4D2 (resized).jpeg4D491D1D-11BF-402D-84EC-1F77ADC7D4D2 (resized).jpeg

#13499 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Yes - the one feature I missed about the Heighway version was the screen, so I mirrored the main screen on the apron.
[quoted image]

If we didn't already have that awesome apron...you could almost cut it into the center (or maybe use a bare LCD screen and mount it under/thru!)

#13500 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Yes - the one feature I missed about the Heighway version was the playfield screen, so I mirrored the main screen on the apron to get some of that immersion back.
[quoted image]

And......how did we do that???
Getting my LV in week or two. That mod is awesome.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boynton Beach, FL
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 160.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Woodstock, GA
Machine - For Sale
Mckinney, TX
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 18,775 posts in this topic. You are on page 270 of 376.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club/page/270 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.