Pinside_forum_8080234_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_9120 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9110 (resized).jpeg
atmel (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Alien pinball (resized).jpg
20240414_165244 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 18,814 posts in this topic. You are on page 211 of 377.
#10501 1 year ago
Quoted from calprog:

Is anybody else having trouble getting into Pinball brothers website? Not sure if it’s just me or if it’s the site is down. Let me know

Looks like their SSL certificate just expired. Doh!

I'm sure they'll have it resolved soon.

#10502 1 year ago
Quoted from SMP14:

Anyone experience the ball getting stuck in the Xenos mouth when the rod picks up the ball? Happens 1 out of every 8 games, buy non magnetic balls?
[quoted image]

You know I experienced this too (ball will get picked up from the magnet, going to the mouth, but doesn't look like it retracts all the way, and the ball sits on the magnet In the xenomorphs mouth until there is a ball search and the tongue will come all the way out and then all the way in and the ball will release).

It's not all the time, but when it happens, it'll happen at each of the following multiballs, as if it falls out of calibration. I have to recalibrate the xenomorph tongue, and then everything's fine for a good little while until it happens again.

Does anyone know a durable fix? I noticed on the pinball Brothers site there is someone talking about the rod coming from the stepper motor and that it has a flat side and to ensure that the bolt is on that side (and they show a single picture showing that rod and bolt), but outside of that, does anyone have any suggestions on this issue such that this doesn't happen in the future? Thanks!

#10503 1 year ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

Coil is at the flipper itself

What is the best way to remove the heat shrink > so I can inspect for a cold solder joint ?

IMG_6186 (resized).jpgIMG_6186 (resized).jpg
#10504 1 year ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

You know I experienced this too (ball will get picked up from the magnet, going to the mouth, but doesn't look like it retracts all the way, and the ball sits on the magnet In the xenomorphs mouth until there is a ball search and the tongue will come all the way out and then all the way in and the ball will release).
It's not all the time, but when it happens, it'll happen at each of the following multiballs, as if it falls out of calibration. I have to recalibrate the xenomorph tongue, and then everything's fine for a good little while until it happens again.
Does anyone know a durable fix? I noticed on the pinball Brothers site there is someone talking about the rod coming from the stepper motor and that it has a flat side and to ensure that the bolt is on that side (and they show a single picture showing that rod and bolt), but outside of that, does anyone have any suggestions on this issue such that this doesn't happen in the future? Thanks!

Working on a theory here. Can you take a picture of the space between the apron and the front of the cab with the lockdown bar and glass off? I am thinking maybe the playfield is to far back and the zeno magnet is hitting the back of tha cabinet

#10505 1 year ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

I haven't seen this problem pop back up since I made some adjustments to the switch arm, need it to stay closed slightly longer before it falls into the groove on the rod as it retracts

#10506 1 year ago
Quoted from SuperMica:

What is the best way to remove the heat shrink > so I can inspect for a cold solder joint ?[quoted image]

That’s a switch. You need to look at the coil. Below the flipper. Not the button.

#10507 1 year ago
Quoted from Lamoraldus:

You need to look at the coil.

My bad! Thank you!

Quoted from SuperMica:

What is the best way to remove the heat shrink > so I can inspect for a cold solder joint on the coil ?

IMG_6187 (resized).jpgIMG_6187 (resized).jpg
#10508 1 year ago

Nevermind. I was able to peel and then slide the heat shrink down the wires. Now can someone assist with identifying a cold solder joint ?

IMG_6188 (resized).jpgIMG_6188 (resized).jpg
#10509 1 year ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

I haven't seen this problem pop back up since I made some adjustments to the switch arm, need it to stay closed slightly longer before it falls into the groove on the rod as it retracts

Thanks. I think that's probably it.
When I take the xeno head off and take a good look, the switch arm seems to drop in only but just a little bit before it triggers the switch (even before it fully seats into that metal ditch on the arm). I think that switch arm needs to be bent up a little bit so that it truly falls into that ditch on the tongue arm before registering.
I was sort of thinking the same thing.
I think making that switch arm adjustment is gonna be the move. Thanks for chiming in!

#10510 1 year ago

Just a guess... the US side support is not likely that individual's full time job based on my interactions.

#10511 1 year ago

Anyone notice loose connections in the backbox or under the playfield control boxes? Some of the fuses and USB connections (anything other than molex) didn't seat that tight on mine. On all the connections I applied a small bead of hot glue and never had random freezes, lockups, or gameplay glitches again.

Just thought I'd share that.

#10512 1 year ago
Quoted from SuperMica:

Nevermind. I was able to peel and then slide the heat shrink down the wires. Now can someone assist with identifying a cold solder joint ?
[quoted image]

That looks fine to me. If the solder is completely molten into the wires then it’s fine. Check from the other side as well. Cold solder is just when the solder is on top and wires are exposed on the other side. Can look a bit dirty sometimes too. Anybody can provide a better explanation!

#10513 1 year ago
Quoted from SuperMica:

Hello Pinside:
I am having trouble with the bottom left flipper of LV-154. Specifically flipper response has become intermittent. It's just frozen sometimes and does nothing and then will be active again. I was hoping the 3.0 code would correct the issue but it has not. I looked under the playfield and everything is properly connected. All screws are tight. Any suggestions?
-Mic.

Hey there - does it seem like both flippers on the left side are affected? If it is all coils on left side that would indicate an eleconic failure.

If just the one flipper, is it getting 'stuck' in the up position? It might be just a matter of adjusting the flipper in its bushing, sometimes if you have a gap too big or too tight it can get stuck

#10514 1 year ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

I haven't had my play field up in a while but I want to say that the fifth target is the only one that doesn't have a spot to plug in so that could be part of the problem at least on older machines

It does have a connection for the led right next to the switch connection.

#10515 1 year ago
Quoted from SuperMica:

Hello Pinside:
I am having trouble with the bottom left flipper of LV-154. Specifically flipper response has become intermittent. It's just frozen sometimes and does nothing and then will be active again. I was hoping the 3.0 code would correct the issue but it has not. I looked under the playfield and everything is properly connected. All screws are tight. Any suggestions?
-Mic.

Hi Mic, what brado426 is referring to is the button being stuck. Happens on heaps of my pins including alien. What happens is the plastic button inside the plastic casing has a small burr on its plunger. This causes the button to catch causing both left flippers to stay up and the button will feel depressed. Is this happening?

If so, unscrew the button from the cab, but on the inside, and take the button out. Feel for any bump or burr in the plastic. If you find one just sand with very fine grade sand paper. That will fix it.

#10516 1 year ago

Got a few dozen plays over the weekend. I adjusted the pops to be more sensitive and now there’s way more action. I also bent the tip of that chest buster lane in a bit so it hits that top switch better. Otherwise no adjustments.

Two things I’ve noticed with 3.0:

- Start button and door buttons will stop responding after the game has been on for an hour or so. Just occasionally. Flipper buttons continue working. Rebooting fixes it.

- had one black screen incident. Reboot fixed it.

- Even though game is set to no attract sound, about once every few hours it’ll play a speech clip. Annoying.

Otherwise working great, even the Xeno head. But that hypersleep shot is so hard!

#10517 1 year ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Got a few dozen plays over the weekend. I adjusted the pops to be more sensitive and now there’s way more action. I also bent the tip of that chest buster lane in a bit so it hits that top switch better. Otherwise no adjustments.
- Start button and door buttons will stop responding after the game has been on for an hour or so. Just occasionally. Flipper buttons continue working. Rebooting fixes it.
- had one black screen incident. Reboot fixed it.
- Even though game is set to no attract sound, about once every few hours it’ll play a speech clip. Annoying.
Otherwise working great, even the Xeno head. But that hypersleep shot is so hard!

Not sure if you did a 'factory reset' with the update, but maybe try one and then turn off attract sounds again, see if that catches it

#10518 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

This causes the button to catch causing both left flippers to stay up

Quoted from mitchzizzle:

is it getting 'stuck' in the up position?

Nothing is stuck up. The opposite. It is as if sometimes it is stuck down. Explanation follows:

In game play I will press the left button and the left flipper sometimes does nothing. Non-responsive. I press again and then it will work again as usual and then again I will press the left button and again the left flipper stays down. The problem is intermittent during game play. I will check to see if the upper left flipper is affected as well.

#10519 1 year ago
Quoted from SuperMica:

Nothing is stuck up. The opposite. It is as if sometimes it is stuck down. Explanation follows:
In game play I will press the left button and the left flipper sometimes does nothing. Non-responsive. I press again and then it will work again as usual and then again I will press the left button and again the left flipper stays down. The problem is intermittent during game play. I will check to see if the upper left flipper is affected as well.

My bad. I came into the thread too late. Never had this problem before. That’s why brado426 mentioned the leaf switch. Not normal behaviour. I would definitely contact PB.

#10520 1 year ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Hmmm.. I saw this happen regularly with 2.9, but never with 3.0 yet... I've been running it for a week and absolutely zero lockups or hangs.

#10521 1 year ago
Quoted from SuperMica:

I still think this could be a leaf switch issue. I've had cases where I've had to slightly sand leaf switch contacts so they make a good connection. I'd play with the leaf switches a bit more and see if you can prove that they are functioning properly. Maybe even put the right leaf switch onto the left flipper button and see if the problem reverses. Just throwing ideas out to help isolate it.

#10522 1 year ago
Quoted from mitchzizzle:

does it seem like both flippers on the left side are affected? If it is all coils on left side that would indicate an electronic failure.

I just checked and yes... it is indeed happening on both left flippers.

Quoted from brado426:

I saw this happen regularly with 2.9, but never with 3.0 yet

My game only arrived 2 weeks ago and it was fine until just a few days ago. Mine shipped with 2.7 and last night I updated to 3.0 but the problem persists.

#10523 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

There is no story... that is the intent. I mentioned to them that the 5th target light should at least light in test mode... otherwise, people will think there's something wrong with their 5th target. Andreas said they are thinking about some changes to the target programming that will make things clearer.

Why is it the intent and why wouldn't it be lit if it's a weapon target and a lightable target?

#10524 1 year ago
Quoted from Optimiser:

Why is it the intent and why wouldn't it be lit if it's a weapon target and a lightable target?

Andreas told me "In the initial project the 5 target wasn't supposed to be lighted, but lighted they looks cool." He also said they are still working on a solution for it... so I'm guessing they might do something with target 5 in a future update.

#10525 1 year ago
Quoted from SuperMica:

I just checked and yes... it is indeed happening on both left flippers.

My game only arrived 2 weeks ago and it was fine until just a few days ago. Mine shipped with 2.7 and last night I updated to 3.0 but the problem persists.

If so, are all of the coils on the left side of your game affected? Or just the flippers? How often dont they work? Does it happen all the time, very rarely? Also, did you do a factory reset after you updated your game? Have you made any coil adjustments?

If just both flippers are affected - it could be the leaf switch not making proper contact. If its all the coils on the left side that are weak it could be a transistor blown on the playfield board. I would contact PBros and open a ticket.

#10526 1 year ago
Quoted from mitchzizzle:

are all of the coils on the left side of your game affected? Or just the flippers?

Just the two flippers.

Quoted from mitchzizzle:

How often don't they work?

Every game for sure now I am losing balls because the flipper is non-responsive.. Maybe every dozen to two dozen presses of the left button it does nothing. Sometimes it will work again immediately by tapping again and sometimes I have to tap the button several times to get a response.

Quoted from mitchzizzle:

did you do a factory reset after you updated your game?

No. My game only arrived two weeks ago and it had 2.7 installed. Yesterday I updated to 3.0. The problem persists.

Quoted from mitchzizzle:

Have you made any coil adjustments?

No. I have not.

Quoted from mitchzizzle:

If just both flippers are affected - it could be the leaf switch not making proper contact.

But the leaf switch is making proper contact. And per someones previous suggestion I have swapped Left and Right leaf switches without resolution.

Quoted from mitchzizzle:

I would contact PBros and open a ticket.

I did. Thank you.

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 12.46.30 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-10-11 at 12.46.30 AM (resized).pngIMG_6184 (resized).jpgIMG_6184 (resized).jpgIMG_6185 (resized).jpgIMG_6185 (resized).jpg
#10527 1 year ago

Before the problem began last week I was scoring in the 500,000,000+ range.

Now because of the intermittent unresponsive flips I am losing balls and I can barely score above 12,000,000.

IMG_6189 2 (resized).jpgIMG_6189 2 (resized).jpg
#10528 1 year ago

I don’t know if this has been suggested but I would order stern flipper switch’s I remember my game acting up like this and you will like the feel of them better anyway!
I see you have a new le game and I have an early game but you owning 13 games should be able to tell if these flipper switch’s are like my orginal ones they have a very very soft feel to them and are instantly noticeable when you touch the flipper buttons.

#10529 1 year ago
Quoted from mitchzizzle:

They dont respond over the weekend guys -

We’ll I logged the ticket on Saturday midday AEDST 2am Saturday in Italy, received a response 11am Saturday Italy. Next response 5pm Monday Italy. Still awaiting response midday Italy today. Surely there is a faster way via zoom, Skype or some form of internet video chat to offer tech support

#10530 1 year ago

My problem is resolved.

In Service Menu > Tests > Switch Edges > a left press of the button would intermittently report as [80 UPPER LEFT BUTTON] and other times report as [78 LEFT BUTTON].

Andrea diagnosed that the gap between the 2 leaf contacts was too wide.

See attached photos.

I sincerely thank all of you that replied to my posts today.

Had been thinking that maybe the aliens were cutting the power to me flipper - "They're animals!"

1665482425844 (resized).png1665482425844 (resized).pngLEFT_FLIPPER_SWITCH (resized).pngLEFT_FLIPPER_SWITCH (resized).png
#10531 1 year ago

Any chance someone can post a photo of thee led lead please I’m thinking I’ll just make the lead myself just want to make sure of the connections

#10532 1 year ago
Quoted from SuperMica:

My problem is resolved.
In Service Menu > Tests > Switch Edges > a left press of the button would intermittently report as [80 UPPER LEFT BUTTON] and other times report as [78 LEFT BUTTON].
Andrea diagnosed that the gap between the 2 leaf contacts was too wide.
See attached photos.
I sincerely thank all of you that replied to my posts today.
Had been thinking that maybe the aliens were cutting the power to me flipper - "They're animals!"
[quoted image][quoted image]

Can you raise a ticket for me? I can’t consistently get in the 500m range. Come to think of it, never got over 200m. Must be a technical fault

Glad your problem is solved.

#10533 1 year ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

target 5 by the drop targets doesn't have any lights coded

Is it because it‘s not coded or is it because the boards are not connected by default? (At least my SV ones are not…)

D1C37F60-813F-4EC5-94D9-44CD900D6B3A (resized).jpegD1C37F60-813F-4EC5-94D9-44CD900D6B3A (resized).jpeg
#10534 1 year ago
Quoted from henning:

Is it because it‘s not coded or is it because the boards are not connected by default? (At least my SV ones are not…)
[quoted image]

I have connected mine. As stated by brado426 , target 5 lights has not been coded by design.

#10535 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

I have connected mine. As stated by brado426 , target 5 lights has not been coded by design.

Ah, I see! Thanks for clarifying

#10536 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Working on a theory here. Can you take a picture of the space between the apron and the front of the cab with the lockdown bar and glass off? I am thinking maybe the playfield is to far back and the zeno magnet is hitting the back of tha cabinet

No, there's not enough wiggle room once the playfield is seated in position to allow the back of the xenojaw to touch the back of the cabinet. Now, if you have wires, etc or anything else running back there that might be causing interference, that could a source of obstruction, but otherwise, there's plenty of room. I really do think this is just a switch arm adjustment issue, or at least that's what I'm guessing/hoping.

#10537 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

How did you make the missing cable?

#10538 1 year ago
Quoted from Lamoraldus:

The newest/ 3rd generation targets have the necessary wires attached. This can be found on the free play website, which is what pinball Brothers uses to sell replacement parts for this game. Link is below. This should help.

https://www.free-play.se/en/game-specific-parts/pinball-brothers/alien/stand-up-target-rectangle-weapons-alien-pinball-brothers.html

#10539 1 year ago

I have an SV version of Kurt's translite if anyone is interested. I don't need it since I ended up with an LV and I'm getting a queen version. $275 shipped to the lower 48. I paid 450 with shipping originally, but the conversion rate is certainly continued to favor the US dollar since February.

#10540 1 year ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I have an SV version of Kurt's translite if anyone is interested. I don't need it since I ended up with an LV and I'm getting a queen version. $275 shipped to the lower 48. I paid 450 with shipping originally, but the conversion rate is certainly turned continued to favor the US dollar since February.

Great deal for seombeody here! On the 'essential' mod for this game, somebodys gonna be a happy camper

#10541 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

Andreas told me "In the initial project the 5 target wasn't supposed to be lighted, but lighted they looks cool." He also said they are still working on a solution for it... so I'm guessing they might do something with target 5 in a future update.

I have no place to plug the LEDs in on the Rev B boards in my machine.

#10542 1 year ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

The newest/ 3rd generation targets have the necessary wires attached. This can be found on the free play website, which is what pinball Brothers uses to sell replacement parts for this game. Link is below. This should help.
https://www.free-play.se/en/game-specific-parts/pinball-brothers/alien/stand-up-target-rectangle-weapons-alien-pinball-brothers.html

Look at henning’s picture again. This is a different cable. Nothing to do with the ones on the targets. It seems to connect both pcbs.

#10543 1 year ago
Quoted from Mageek:

I have no place to plug the LEDs in on the Rev B boards in my machine.

I just checked the boards needed for the stand-up target LEDs and noticed something interesting. There is an interface connector between board 3 and 4 specifically for the target 5 LED. I don't recall hooking that up or even having the cable for that, so maybe that's why we're not getting any activity out of target 5 LED? I asked PB about that and they say they're working on a Target 5 solution, so we can wait and see.

If the connectors don't exist on the earlier revision boards and you really want the LEDs, you'll need to replace these boards:

Board 8 - 174 euros (for target 1 and 2)
Board 6 - 165 euros (for target 3 and 4)
Board 4 - 122 euros (target 5... interface to board 3)
Board 3 - 50 euros (interface from board 4 and target 5 led connector)

So, 511 euros for working LED targets assuming all boards are missing connectors. Not sure if that is worth it. If target 5 really isn't used, then I guess board 3 and 4 would not be necessary.

My early revision board 6 had major problems and replacing it with a newer revision fixed major communication problems I had with the boards connected to it (particularly Board 1 that controls the trough). I'm thinking that was a one-off issue since other early machines seemed just fine.

#10544 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

I just checked the boards needed for the stand-up target LEDs and noticed something interesting. There is an interface connector between board 3 and 4 specifically for the target 5 LED. I don't recall hooking that up or even having the cable for that, so maybe that's why we're not getting any activity out of target 5 LED? I asked PB about that and they say they're working on a Target 5 solution, so we can wait and see.
If the connectors don't exist on the earlier revision boards and you really want the LEDs, you'll need to replace those boards.
Board 8 - 174 euros (for target 1 and 2)
Board 6 - 165 euros (for target 3 and 4)
Board 4 - 122 euros (target 5... interface to board 3)
Board 3 - 50 euros (interface from board 4 and target 5 led connector)
So, 511 euros for working LED targets assuming all boards are missing connectors. Not sure if that is worth it. If target 5 really isn't used, then I guess board 3 and 4 would not be necessary.
My early revision board 6 had major problems and replacing it with a newer revision fixed major communication problems I had with the boards connected to it (particularly Board 1 that controls the trough). I'm thinking that was a one-off issue since other early machines seemed just fine.

I have an earlier build as well and had to replace my board 6 twice as well as board 4, current revision D has been solid since. My board 3 is an older revision without the connectors for target 5, it's all going to come down to when your game was made and what board revisions you have. And I have to agree with you at those costs I don't see it worth it if you have to replace boards.

#10545 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

I just checked the boards needed for the stand-up target LEDs and noticed something interesting. There is an interface connector between board 3 and 4 specifically for the target 5 LED.

Yes, henning already found that some posts back today. See photo in his post.

#10546 1 year ago
Quoted from Lamoraldus:

Yes, henning already found that some posts back today. See photo in his post.

Yeah, I saw that after I posted. The realization here is Target 5 is likely never going to work without that cable. But based on info from PB, it will not work with the cable either... so better to sit tight and wait for an official answer.

#10547 1 year ago

From henning picture above it looks like board 3 is a 4 pin connector, is that correct or is it 5 pin?

Just a random thought.. if you replaced your xeno targets and still have the old ones there is a connector for the led that is 4 pin on one side 5 pin on the other.. could potentially be used to connect board 6 and 3

#10548 1 year ago

Odd place to get a ball stuck.

IMG_6207 (resized).jpgIMG_6207 (resized).jpg
#10549 1 year ago
Quoted from SuperMica:Odd place to get a ball stuck.
[quoted image]

That has happened to me often enough that I need to make a protector to prevent it. You are not alone.

#10550 1 year ago
Quoted from Lamoraldus:

Sorry for late reply. All my lights were already connected. I think the previous owner may have upgraded targets. I recently ordered the v3 targets and added the extra metal backings to these with the slight bend. Additional switch and light cables came with the v3 targets. That is how I have the lights connected.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 160.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
St. Paul, MN
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

There are 18,814 posts in this topic. You are on page 211 of 377.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club/page/211 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.