100_0962 (resized).JPG
100_0952 (resized).JPG
b6dc946c91d7ab067492a1b55bd88dd9.gif
Pinside_forum_8080234_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_9120 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9110 (resized).jpeg
atmel (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 18,843 posts in this topic. You are on page 157 of 377.
#7801 1 year ago
Quoted from brandonx76:

That's a positive update drypaint ...I would echo the sentiment on Andrea - he's been a great resource. Just sent me a custom video to fine tune the Xeno head that I'm currently reviewing.

I have not even cared to address the xeno head, but when I have everything situated, I would love that video.

#7802 1 year ago

I'll post it soon, want to make sure it's fixing my prob.

#7803 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Dry flux can easily come off with iso alcohol.
Even when dry.
If it water solluble flux, just run the board under the faucet for a couple min with hot water, dish soap and brush if you want, although not really needed.
Let air dry. The board will look perfect and work perfectly.
Leaving rosin flux on will not cause any issues unless the machine is in a very hot humid environment, which likely isn't.
Before people jump at my neck for the above statements, these are the correct procedures.
https://www.kester.com/knowledge-base/knowledge-base#4505-flux
…”
Rosin Flux Removal
Rosin flux residues are non-conductive and non-corrosive. Under normal circumstances they do not have to be removed from a printed circuit assembly. Rosin residue removal would be for cosmetic considerations. In an environment where the working temperature of the assembly will exceed 200°F the rosin residues will melt and become conductive, in these situations flux removal is required…”

Quoted from drypaint:

Seriously!?! I will let Pinball Brothers know they have a candidate for the service department. I appreciate you and your six pinball machine knowledge.
I'm gonna go back to private messages for a while. There is nothing to see here, everything is dandy in PB land. Good luck everyone.
Cheers!

Although I am glad things worked out for you.
I think apologies are due here…
Other users where just trying to help and your response was not adequate.

I am not defending anybody here, but as a reader of this thread I think we need to put a stop with the bullying and negativity.

There are a couple characters here, and one specially, which I will not name but we all know who he is, that fuels the fire at any opportunity he gets to start something on this thread.

@drypaint, I am glad your game is coming together. I think that going forward communicating respectfully amongst each other would be more beneficial long term.

#7804 1 year ago
Quoted from anathematize:

I think the diverter post might be wonky on ours. I cannot recall it ever behaving that way. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a ball diverted into the pops with that post.
That might explain a ton of the difficulty I've run into. Some of those modes where you need to get the ball into the pops/eggs just feel impossible. A diverter post up there makes a ton of sense now.

There are two diverter posts, and in older code I know they've had issues sticking. Try setting their power a bit higher, then with the glass off, light your lock, and shoot some orbits. I'm pretty sure in that base situation, both orbits should divert to the pops

#7805 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

There are two diverter posts, and in older code I know they've had issues sticking. Try setting their power a bit higher, then with the glass off, light your lock, and shoot some orbits. I'm pretty sure in that base situation, both orbits should divert to the pops

I'll relay it to the operator who is routing it. Hopefully they can get it sorted. It definitely makes the game play tougher when you have to try and get a half-power shot up the orbit so it drops into the pops haha.

Hi Zac

#7806 1 year ago

Has anyone had any issues running/ installing the most current code? I’m currently running v.4 and haven’t yet installed the most current code.

#7807 1 year ago
Quoted from drypaint:

Just got off a long video call with Andrea from PB. He had me recheck every connection that I had tried many times, and swap most of the boxes and boards I had already tried, none of this helped. He was feeling as frustrated as I was and we were just about to break from the call and take a day to reevaluate the situation when he threw out one last effort. After ruling out many parts, he unplugged three cables from the back of the 'cabinet' controller box on his game and was able to recreate the flickering. He then re-plugged in one cable at a time (powering off between) until the issue went away. It was narrowed down to two cables. We ruled the ethernet cable out because I had tried three different ones already. So, I checking the continuity on the other wire harness (I did not have an extra) with my multimeter and it was fine. So, not the cables.
I had already tried swapping the box itself, but we tried one more time.... It worked! WTF!?! Game booted. I have 1 bad cabinet controller box and 1 faulty one.
He is sending me a new cabinet controller box. Now I have to turn it off, properly secure the box, clean-up the cables, and try powering it back on. I definitely have a better understanding of the inner working of this game. I am cautiously optimistic at this point.
I will say, Andrea cares about what he does. He is trying very hard to make things work for everyone.

So yours had a bad box, and the replacement they sent you is wonky? Those are some bad odds man!!

#7808 1 year ago
Quoted from McDoom:

Has anyone had any issues running/ installing the most current code? I’m currently running v.4 and haven’t yet installed the most current code.

Should be super easy and quick! Remember to choose “update System” and not “update firmware”

#7809 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So yours had a bad box, and the replacement they sent you is wonky? Those are some bad odds man!!

Some bad odds with some long hours to figure it out again. Sheesh. Don't wish that on anyone.

#7810 1 year ago
Quoted from drypaint:

Just got off a long video call with Andrea from PB. He had me recheck every connection that I had tried many times, and swap most of the boxes and boards I had already tried, none of this helped. He was feeling as frustrated as I was and we were just about to break from the call and take a day to reevaluate the situation when he threw out one last effort. After ruling out many parts, he unplugged three cables from the back of the 'cabinet' controller box on his game and was able to recreate the flickering. He then re-plugged in one cable at a time (powering off between) until the issue went away. It was narrowed down to two cables. We ruled the ethernet cable out because I had tried three different ones already. So, I checking the continuity on the other wire harness (I did not have an extra) with my multimeter and it was fine. So, not the cables.
I had already tried swapping the box itself, but we tried one more time.... It worked! WTF!?! Game booted. I have 1 bad cabinet controller box and 1 faulty one.
He is sending me a new cabinet controller box. Now I have to turn it off, properly secure the box, clean-up the cables, and try powering it back on. I definitely have a better understanding of the inner working of this game. I am cautiously optimistic at this point.
I will say, Andrea cares about what he does. He is trying very hard to make things work for everyone.

Same outcome for me. Same video call, and same replacement box coming my way. Hopefully this fixes the issue!

#7811 1 year ago
Quoted from RPZ:

Same outcome for me. Same video call, and same replacement box coming my way. Hopefully this fixes the issue!

Thanks for chatting with me off to the side on this one buddy!

#7812 1 year ago
Quoted from brandonx76:

That's a positive update drypaint ...I would echo the sentiment on Andrea - he's been a great resource. Just sent me a custom video to fine tune the Xeno head that I'm currently reviewing.

Is this video something we all could use?

#7813 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I agree with all of this. There's also an "Up Post" test in the service menu if you want to do this outside of a game. You can use the flippers and shoot either orbit, or just press enter to pop the post manually. You can also choose the behavior (no divert, left post up, right post up) you want, and not be subject to the differing game rules.

Note this is a little different from the "Coil Test". Coil Test verifies connectivity to the coil and gives just a quick jolt. The Up Post test raises it with the same power and duration as in a game. The posts should always hold for 1 second when raised.

Also verify that your top lane (eddy type) switches are working correctly. The posts will be dropped on the assumption that the ball was already stopped, if either lane switch registers while the post is up.

- Brian

#7814 1 year ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Is this video something we all could use?

Possibly? again my comment was more to highlight PB support's responsiveness and support.

My current issue with the jaw not opening enough for tongue to come out. I had been working with PB Support on another issue where the tongue wasn't coming out / getting stuck. The new Xeno head sent, mouth comes out, but jaw is not aligned.

Here was the video Andrea made for me: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtq3u1gmg0q2zsx/DSCN0242.MOV?dl=0

I havent had a chance to review fully or to further attempt repair test. Plan to do that tonight.

#7816 1 year ago

RE diverters. I have mine at 50% more power and resoldered the connections to the coils and they are working much more reliably. 2.4 code.

#7817 1 year ago

Definitely some harsh bugs in the code. Have had game freezes on Find Jonesy, Ambush multiball reboots and general aliens reboot of game.

#7818 1 year ago
Quoted from precisionk:

Definitely some harsh bugs in the code. Have had game freezes on Find Jonesy, Ambush multiball reboots and general aliens reboot of game.

That's not bugs in the code... you have some other issue. No freezes or lockups for me at all with 2.4 or 2.6 system update.

#7819 1 year ago

just unboxed my new LV#22, Only briefly played a brief game but have a few odd issues. The underside of the head was damaged(I will put that aside for now)

when looking at the lock down bar there is a space in between the playfield and the lock down bar and the game looks like the playfield is not pulled all the way forward and a bit out of square.(I will show pictures once I get the playfield to slide back into the game). I have slid the playfield forward and now no matter how I try I cant get it to slide all the way back into the cabinet. it only slides back to a point and wont go back any further. checked for obstructions, cables etc. any insight would be greatly appreciated

#7820 1 year ago
Quoted from precisionk:

I’ve had a couple of freezes and lock ups to on v2.6 where it rebooted. I guess they will squash these bugs as more updates come out. If there’s a way to send logs I’d be happy to do it to. Not looked into that yet.

#7821 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

That's not bugs in the code... you have some other issue. No freezes or lockups for me at all with 2.4 or 2.6 system update.

Imo, as a coder: code that can't handle slight flakiness from the hardware is buggy code. There's obviously some hard ware issues that are leading to lockups since they keep sending out new boards to resolve the issues, but there's no reason any problem with a playfield board should result in the entire game locking up

#7822 1 year ago

I've had issues where the ball won't launch until I reboot. That's software. It's not very often, but it does happen.

#7823 1 year ago
Quoted from grahamharley:

just unboxed my new LV#22, Only briefly played a brief game but have a few odd issues. The underside of the head was damaged(I will put that aside for now)
when looking at the lock down bar there is a space in between the playfield and the lock down bar and the game looks like the playfield is not pulled all the way forward and a bit out of square.(I will show pictures once I get the playfield to slide back into the game). I have slid the playfield forward and now no matter how I try I cant get it to slide all the way back into the cabinet. it only slides back to a point and wont go back any further. checked for obstructions, cables etc. any insight would be greatly appreciated

I got the playfield to slide back in , pushed the back slightly to the left and it slid into place. My next issue is there is a gap in between the playfield and lock down bar(see Pic)

Quoted from grahamharley:

I got the playfield to slide back in , is this gap between the playfield and lock down normal?

thumbnail (resized).jpgthumbnail (resized).jpg
#7824 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Imo, as a coder: code that can't handle slight flakiness from the hardware is buggy code. There's obviously some hard ware issues that are leading to lockups since they keep sending out new boards to resolve the issues, but there's no reason any problem with a playfield board should result in the entire game locking up

Coder here too - completely agree.

Same goes for a few of the startup issues (depending on where in the boot sequence it goes wrong), if a certain board or function cant be contacted it shouldn't just freeze up or get stuck in a loop. It should be a bit more robust eg, retry any connection/contact that failed, then report which part couldn't be found. I've seen it do this for the IO board, so there's obviously some logic in there.

Anyway, I hope these long standing issues get resolved for everyone. Really looks like those playfield boxes are a bit on the "unreliable" side.

Just to put a little positivity back - and not to rub any salt in the wound for those with issues (and who knows my machine could develop a fault soon) - but this game, with the sound up and the lights off is really something else. In the last month I have had this, Rick and Morty and Deadpool premium all delivered. All absolutely outstanding games, and all my favorites theme-wise. However, Alien really is the first game I'll go to, just can't stay off it.

I guess when it works, it WORKS.

#7825 1 year ago

Did any one hear if a shipment of sv's were heading to the states anytime soon ?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#7826 1 year ago
Quoted from anathematize:

I think the diverter post might be wonky on ours. I cannot recall it ever behaving that way. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a ball diverted into the pops with that post.
That might explain a ton of the difficulty I've run into. Some of those modes where you need to get the ball into the pops/eggs just feel impossible. A diverter post up there makes a ton of sense now.

I don't think it's wonky, I think the optic/sensor aren't registering the ball going thru the orbits properly. My machine rarely kicks the posts up to fall in the pops. In fact, I don't think I have finished Queens Nest for example of this behaviour.

#7827 1 year ago

Yeah, I would agree. Mine is kicking the posts up all the time.

#7828 1 year ago
Quoted from Weeedoggie:

Did any one hear if a shipment of sv's were heading to the states anytime soon ?

June 20th

#7829 1 year ago

Ah ok so mid may isn't happening lol
Thanks for the update pin fandango

#7830 1 year ago

Sorry I’m a bit behind on all the posts here. Where are we on LV shipments? Joined list for LV Dec 2020, paid $1k deposit Sep 2021 and was told I’m #139. Thanks.

#7831 1 year ago

I'll show myself out

4e5 (resized).jpg4e5 (resized).jpg
#7832 1 year ago

Ignored Deebow and I took 24hrs off the internet and Im a happy guy again. Glad you got your game working..

RE DIVERTER POST - there is a known issue where posts dont always react well in 2.4 - I got good response by increasing coil power +40% - but these issues seem completely fixed in 2.6 - if you suspect your diverter posts arent activating at the right time you should try the software upgrade.

#7833 1 year ago
Quoted from JDub03:

I don't think it's wonky, I think the optic/sensor aren't registering the ball going thru the orbits properly. My machine rarely kicks the posts up to fall in the pops. In fact, I don't think I have finished Queens Nest for example of this behaviour.

These were known issues as recently as build 2.4 according to the release notes on PBros website. What code are you running?

#7834 1 year ago
Quoted from mitchzizzle:

Ignored Deebow and I took 24hrs off the internet and Im a happy guy again. Glad you got your game working..
RE DIVERTER POST - there is a known issue where posts dont always react well in 2.4 - I got good response by increasing coil power +40% - but these issues seem completely fixed in 2.6 - if you suspect your diverter posts arent activating at the right time you should try the software upgrade.

Good move... I did the same and the Internet is better without trolls.

2.7 is going to fix some issues. I just got a response from PB that the center magnet ball drop issue has been reproduced by them and they are fixing it for 2.7. 2.4 is working great for me.

#7835 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

2.7 is going to fix some issues. I just got a response from PB that the center magnet ball drop issue has been reproduced by them and they are fixing it for 2.7. 2.4 is working great for me.

great to hear. the final tweaks to perfection!

#7836 1 year ago

I am still on 2.5 is it even worth updating to 2.6 or just wait until 2.7?

#7837 1 year ago

My machine is back up and running strong.

During game play I lost flipper power, after reboot, start, launch and coin door lights didn't work and volume would be stuck and flittering on the screen during boot up and about 2 minutes later game would look booted up but start coin door lights and launch were still out.

Ended up being the controller/power box mounted under the playfield blew a 48V transistor in the 2nd pic.
The new controller box they sent is a redesign without it. First pic.

If you need to get the game up and running fast you can modify the transistor. 3rd pic.

Installed and game booted perfectly but the sound was distorted.
I was instructed to go into the new box and remove a cable and that made the sound perfect.
https://pinballbrothers.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/80000807747--003-fix-distorted-sound

Putting this out there for anyone that got an early machine like mine. I was number 50 from Cointaker.
280727711_712632253390117_6066417651157788357_n (resized).jpg280727711_712632253390117_6066417651157788357_n (resized).jpg282463903_809370540467494_1977477931147462303_n (resized).jpg282463903_809370540467494_1977477931147462303_n (resized).jpg
wT8KqwbxKMlRF-oQAQZGzj0Z_K4-8KDjxA (resized).pngwT8KqwbxKMlRF-oQAQZGzj0Z_K4-8KDjxA (resized).png

#7838 1 year ago
Quoted from mitchzizzle:

Quoted from brado426:

Don't be mad at me for calling out Bullshit. This thread is full of 'yesmen' who just don't know what they're talking about. You guys talk about how soldering works and to be checking cables to a guy with 62 pins. He mentioned he doesn't need the rookie advice, not me! And Brado getting exposed by actual coders that he doesn't know what he's talking about either! Guys, people come in here to make informed decisions and you just keep pumping PB's tires while ignoring the blatant facts. These games have some serious quality issues that are hampering people's games to the point they are bricks and don't even work. As soon as someone mentions it you post how great your game is. Strong work, but there are more and more people posting their issues as more games go out. I feel like you're bullying them into trying to believe a false narrative that their games are unicorns and everyone else's work fine which is just not true.
You do you. But don't expect your combined 3 years of pinside make you think that these people can't figure it out without you. Smh

#7839 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

Quoted from brado426:

I just got a response from PB that the center magnet ball drop issue has been reproduced by them and they are fixing it for 2.7. 2.4 is working great for me.

so you messaged PB to confirm it's not a coding issue and they in fact told you it was a coding issue that they are already aware of! Imagine that. Then you reiterate how great your game works. That's my fukkin point. That Bullshit needs to stop before people stop calling you out.

#7840 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

Why be so woke and sensitive! Criticism is fine. Don’t worry about it and don’t be so fake positive all the time like you’re to scared to say anything negative. That won’t help you or anyone. Sure hasn’t in politics! Honestly you people who name anyone a troll for saying anything critical against you is piss weak.

#7841 1 year ago

LVs were removed from Nitropinball's site. Cointaker is still taking deposits. Why were they removed from Nitro? Almost sold-out?

#7842 1 year ago

Got word from Tommy at Nitro that Pre-orders are sold out.

#7843 1 year ago
585C75FC-90EC-4B16-8075-32D7AEC9CD25 (resized).jpeg585C75FC-90EC-4B16-8075-32D7AEC9CD25 (resized).jpeg
#7844 1 year ago

Got a line on an SV locally; could someone tell me the depth of the backbox? Trying to figure out the measurements if it will fit in my SUV. Thanks!

#7845 1 year ago
Quoted from Optimiser:

Why be so woke and sensitive! Criticism is fine. Don’t worry about it and don’t be so fake positive all the time like you’re to scared to say anything negative. That won’t help you or anyone. Sure hasn’t in politics! Honestly you people who name anyone a troll for saying anything critical against you is piss weak.

I'm about as far from woke as you can get. But negative trolls that never add anything valuable to the conversation deserve to be ignored. You are free to listen to it if you like.

#7846 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I'm a software engineer also, and I've been thinking about your comment here. Personally, I wouldn't want my software running on any hardware that wasn't 100% and I'd actually prefer that it misbehave if the hardware wasn't up to par. Thinking back, if the software was more forgiving of hardware problems and prevented the lockups I was seeing, I would have never been able to identify several issues with my early SV machine. Now if you're saying you'd rather it wrote something out to a log rather than locking up, I might be able to get behind that. I think if they put a try/catch (figuratively speaking) around everything, it would render some intermittent behavior that would be a lot harder to diagnose.

#7847 1 year ago
Quoted from Optimiser:

nope....lol That is quite a twisted interpretation of what criticism should be...

What we have been putting up with was just a poor attempt at cheerleading some weird high school behaviour, online bullying and lastly and as shown in your post, gaslighting. Lots of it.

I think that people that behave like dipshits online are either troubled in the head or lack basic interpersonal skills and channel these things through a forum because it is the only place where they can engage with another being.

Liking and upvoting the trolls, then posting something like the above... Gaslighting 101.

ymmv

Not sure what you are after here? what is your point? Do not bother answering, this is a rhetorical question.

Lol, some people... man...

#7848 1 year ago
Quoted from applejuice:

I’ve had a couple of freezes and lock ups to on v2.6 where it rebooted. I guess they will squash these bugs as more updates come out. If there’s a way to send logs I’d be happy to do it to. Not looked into that yet.

Definitely. I have been reporting my bugs and feeding them to Cato for the issues I have ran into. I hope others are doing the same. Outside of the issues, machine works 95% of the time.

#7849 1 year ago

Also wireform right rail replacement report - Works good. I was questioned if there would be any issues as the brand new rail was bent with the left side much higher then the right. Comparing the old rail, both of these should be even. It works but I definitely would say QC in parts can be hit and miss. That seems to be a more common thing as others have received replacements that haven't worked as intended.

#7850 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

I'm a software engineer also, and I've been thinking about your comment here. Personally, I wouldn't want my software running on any hardware that wasn't 100% and I'd actually prefer that it misbehave if the hardware wasn't up to par. Thinking back, if the software was more forgiving of hardware problems and prevented the lockups I was seeing, I would have never been able to identify several issues with my early SV machine. Now if you're saying you'd rather it wrote something out to a log rather than locking up, I might be able to get behind that. I think if they put a try/catch (figuratively speaking) around everything, it would render some intermittent behavior that would be a lot harder to diagnose.

Exactly. The game already has facilities for operator alerts, pop-ups, logging to disk and sending the logs to pb, etc. If your board locks up, it should auto reboot, and your os should sense that and log it. OS should be able to recover from basic stuff like a board resetting mid game. Meanwhile it seems like the most minor of issues (who knows what they actually are even) is enough to completely kill a game.

While developing my own software and boards for my homebrews I've had many of the same sorts of cases alien seems to be having, and I catch all of them now. The game can even recover from the 5v line fuse blowing if I stick in a new fuse. It wasn't complicated or intentional either, just the basics of simple error handling for flaky connections, random power spikes/drops/ etc are enough.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 12.95
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

7,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 18,843 posts in this topic. You are on page 157 of 377.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club/page/157?hl=kciaccio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.