2702EF4A-76D7-4D61-9210-CF410C594601 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2711 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240325_231501 (resized).jpg
A6A6E2A3-579E-429A-93D8-6B77FC42C7B9 (resized).jpeg
69A6272E-06A0-46AB-882E-6F56825BDB2F (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 18,571 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 372.
#6701 1 year ago

I can totally understand this frustration. I've been waiting so long for this machine it's been almost painful - if I get it here and it requires boards, harnesses etc replaced I think the disappointment might just overwhelm me. That's without the added stress of wanting to put it on location...

It'll get fixed for sure we all know that, and these things certainly do happen... Honestly though reading Deez posts (try one thing - something breaks, try something else - something else breaks, try yet something else - the original problem comes back and it begins all over again)... Seriously it's almost making ME angry!

#6702 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

The LV machines at TPF did very nicely in my opinion... so I agree that it is likely an isolated issue. My first-gen SV had some really weird problems that are now resolved... and looking back on it with the knowledge I have now, they were relatively simple fixes.

I was thinking the opposite when I walked by at one point and at least 3 out of the 4 machines at the Cointaker booth had their playfields up with people working on them.

And why do I care, you might ask? I'm anxious to get a Queen machine if it doesn't suck. But if it's something that's going to frustrate the hell out of me like Deez 's situation, I'll have to pass. And that will bum me out to no end.

How do everyones' machines seem to hold up otherwise?

#6703 1 year ago

I can speak to the support I have received so far from PB. At the TPF, my LV's backbox was damage on shipping. They are sending new backbox, translite and a scoop as Cato also noted as I have of it draining SDTM instead of left flipper. Will have to do some transplanting from screen/backbox electric to the new box, but I have been satisfied so far. Will update as I get things.

#6704 1 year ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I was thinking the opposite when I walked by at one point and at least 3 out of the 4 machines at the Cointaker booth had their playfields up with people working on them.
And why do I care, you might ask? I'm anxious to get a Queen machine if it doesn't suck. But if it's something that's going to frustrate the hell out of me like fattdirk 's situation, I'll have to pass. And that will bum me out to no end.
How do everyones' machines seem to hold up otherwise?

I saw when they were working on the 3 machines Saturday morning, but two of them were for minor adjustment issues. I did see one LV had a problem Friday night with the Xeno, so that's the only machine I ever witnessed malfunctioning. After Saturday morning, though, all four machines were functional for the rest of the show without intervention. I was impressed.

#6705 1 year ago

OK new LV 2.6 installed and so far so good! No lock ups everything seems to be working as planned hopefully we continue to have great updates on such a great amazing game. The shaker comes on more often and the beacons turn on more often. And the beacons are amazing, low profile design look great. So great when the game is working and feeling pretty good about it. I might possibly have to adjust auto kick out since occasionally it doesn’t make it up the shooter Lane the first time.

#6706 1 year ago

Thinking about getting an LV, but heard there were some hardware/quality issues.

Curious to know how recently delivered games are holding up?

Any insight would be appreciated

#6707 1 year ago
Quoted from Deez:

This is good to hear. I agree there isn't a machine out there that can't be fixed and having worked on them for 25 years I haven't found one that's stumped me to this point. My concern is if there is an overall design flaw in the electronics that will lead to ongoing problems. Quality of construction looks good and the machine looks solid. It will just be hard to operate a machine commercially with flawed electronics.

I have a friend with a game that had trouble and Cato sent him all new everything under the playfield,boards,harnesses,,computer,cables,everything except the power supply after I help him swap everything games works great now!

#6708 1 year ago
Quoted from megaladon:

OK new LV 2.6 installed and so far so good! No lock ups everything seems to be working as planned hopefully we continue to have great updates on such a great amazing game. The shaker comes on more often and the beacons turn on more often. And the beacons are amazing, low profile design look great. So great when the game is working and feeling pretty good about it. I might possibly have to adjust auto kick out since occasionally it doesn’t make it up the shooter Lane the first time.

Great to hear. My LV arrives today and I’ll install 2.6 before I do anything else.

#6709 1 year ago
Quoted from megaladon:

Thanks for the update. The Australian LV machines arrive soon so I guess we can go straight to 2.6. Good to hear they have more happening with the beacons. I’m in for the upgraded apron but preferred the low profile of the original beacons rather than the others although I’m sure both will end up great.

#6710 1 year ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I have a friend with a game that had trouble and Cato sent him all new everything under the playfield,boards,harnesses,,computer,cables,everything except the power supply after I help him swap everything games works great now!

This is what they're doing for me as well. They're sending me the whole right coil loom, magnets, IO board and I believe one of the white boards. All were burned in for 16H for reliability. Luckily the harness is already stripped out so shouldn't be a bad swap. I've got my fingers crossed this solves my problems and I get this baby back out on the town. If this doesn't solve it my head might explode .

#6711 1 year ago

I'm not having good luck with 2.6 on the SV. 2.6 has introduced the following problems...

1. When locking the first ball, it immediately releases the locked ball. What's the point of locking balls if this happens? In 2.4, the ball stays in the lock and you shoot a new ball.
2. When entering SENTRY GUNS or HYPERSLEEP Multi-Ball mode, the ball save is activated forever and never expires. There is no way to lose all your balls as far as I can tell. This seems like a major bug.
3. Center magnet keeps dropping balls. Even after turning down magnet strength, it continues to do this. It seems like it may be slightly more reliable when turning down the magnet strength, but hard to tell. It does still grab the ball then drop it regularly no matter what setting I have the magnet strength at.

It could be because of the difference in firmware on the LV. Will let you know what I find out.

#6712 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

I'm not having good luck with 2.6 on the SV. 2.6 has introduced the following problems...
1. When locking the first ball, it immediately releases the locked ball. What's the point of locking balls if this happens? In 2.4, the ball stays in the lock and you shoot a new ball.
2. When entering SENTRY GUNS or HYPERSLEEP Multi-Ball mode, the ball save is activated forever and never expires. There is no way to lose all your balls as far as I can tell. This seems like a major bug.
3. Center magnet keeps dropping balls. Even after turning down magnet strength, it continues to do this. It seems like it may be slightly more reliable when turning down the magnet strength, but hard to tell. It does still grab the ball then drop it regularly no matter what setting I have the magnet strength at.
It could be because of the difference in firmware on the LV. Will let you know what I find out.

Thanks for the info. I am staying on 2.4.

#6713 1 year ago

I just did some more investigation, and my 2.6 issues may be a complete coincidence. It appears my LOCK 2 is not reliable due to a bad cable. If I wiggle the cable, I can see LOCK 2 toggling. My understanding from Cato is that a stuck ball lock can cause all this behavior. Makes sense now.

I will fix that and let you know how things look then.

#6714 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

The problem wasn't even a bad cable. One of the LOCK 2 JST cables wasn't plugged in all the way and was making an intermittent connection. My bad on that one. That was a hell of a coincidence though. Can't believe the issue only manifested after updating to 2.6.

So 2.6 is working ok for me so far except I'm still experimenting with that center magnet power setting. At default strength, it still grabs the ball and then drops it on my SV. This is similar to what I was seeing with 2.5. If I decrease the power of the center magnet to 25% lower, it seems to work at least most of the time... need to test more on that.

#6715 1 year ago

I really don't get the issue with the magnet. They made settings to basically tell it to hold the ball for 3 seconds or until the jaw is fully extended. I would assume they actually tested this.

All other timings / strength should not even matter at that point. So is this an issue of power? Or lack of? It isn't acting like a weak magnet, it is like the power is cut immediately. Perhaps some sort of overload protection?

#6716 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I really don't get the issue with the magnet. They made settings to basically tell it to hold the ball for 3 seconds or until the jaw is fully extended. I would assume they actually tested this.
All other timings / strength should not even matter at that point. So is this an issue of power? Or lack of? It isn't acting like a weak magnet, it is like the power is cut immediately. Perhaps some sort of overload protection?

Right now, I'm suspecting the problem is the firmware/system update mismatch. Not confirmed though. It doesn't seem to be a problem on the LV, I'm guessing because of the firmware difference.

#6717 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

Right now, I'm suspecting the problem is the firmware/system update mismatch. Not confirmed though. It doesn't seem to be a problem on the LV, I'm guessing because of the firmware difference.

I noticed that megaladon in this post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club/page/133#post-6863758 shows that he has firmware v.57, I believe that all SVs are at v.56 , wonder if that will be released fot the SV

#6718 1 year ago

You sexy sob. Damn meetings otherwise I would be ripping this open. Needed to check it wasn’t damaged so all good there.

9341E94B-2DA5-4D36-85B5-D16C0ACF301A (resized).jpeg9341E94B-2DA5-4D36-85B5-D16C0ACF301A (resized).jpeg
#6719 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

You sexy sob. Damn meetings otherwise I would be ripping this open. Needed to check it wasn’t damaged so all good there.
[quoted image]

enjoy!

#6720 1 year ago

Dumb question - where do you pull firmware updates from? Not seeing it on pinball brothers website under support...is there built in Wifi?

#6721 1 year ago
Quoted from brandonx76:

Dumb question - where do you pull firmware updates from? Not seeing it on pinball brothers website under support...is there built in Wifi?

Not a dumb question. No firmware update is released for SV yet. There is supposedly an update forthcoming.

#6722 1 year ago

So far 2.6 is running fine on my SV including the centre magnet which I've upped to +40 (as I had on 2.4) and no issues releasing too early for tongue to grab. With 2.5 I had to have the centre magnet on default or it would release the ball before tongue could grab it. I'm on firmware .56.

#6723 1 year ago
Quoted from brandonx76:

Software and Firmware updates are on the support forums. The early ones shipped with an old firmware version. There was a newer version released a few months ago for SV, I think .56

https://pinballbrothers.freshdesk.com/support/home

#6724 1 year ago
Quoted from Optimiser:

So far 2.6 is running fine on my SV including the centre magnet which I've upped to +40 (as I had on 2.4) and no issues releasing too early for tongue to grab. With 2.5 I had to have the centre magnet on default or it would release the ball before tongue could grab it. I'm on firmware .56.

Ditto so far so good on 2.6

#6725 1 year ago

Worked with Cato a bit this morning on the Center Magnet issue I've been having. I think we improved things, but need to test more. The only point I wanted to communicate right now is I'm pretty sure it is a specific issue with my machine and nothing to do with 2.6 at this point.

Sorry for the false reported issues on 2.6. So far, 2.6 still seems good.

#6726 1 year ago

I'm having problems updating to version 2.6. I'm on version 2.4 and followed the directions as stated. The file says unknown update error. Nothing changes and I end up going back to version 2.4. I kept the file zipped and transferred to my USB stick. With Sterns in the past the files need to stay unzipped. What am I doing wrong here?

#6727 1 year ago

Firmware is .56

20220407_142951 (resized).jpg20220407_142951 (resized).jpg
#6728 1 year ago
Quoted from Manbearpig:

I'm having problems updating to version 2.6. I'm on version 2.4 and followed the directions as stated. The file says unknown update error. Nothing changes and I end up going back to version 2.4. I kept the file zipped and transferred to my USB stick. With Sterns in the past the files need to stay unzipped. What am I doing wrong here?

The download isn't zipped. Sounds like you have the wrong file?

It should be pbap26.upd

#6729 1 year ago

Every other game I have with a similar magnate shot (MET/OKT/TWD...) will stop a speeding ball dead in its tracks. My Alien magnate will only catch it if it's a weak shot. Don't know why that is.

#6730 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

The download isn't zipped. Sounds like you have the wrong file?
It should be pbap26.upd

I downloaded the UPD file multiple times on several different computers. I followed the instructions and it simply will not update. I'm giving up for now. Perhaps something will change and I'll figure it out. As for now I guess 2.4 it is. If I cant get ot updated at some point I guess I'll open a ticket.

#6731 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Every other game I have with a similar magnate shot (MET/OKT/TWD...) will stop a speeding ball dead in its tracks. My Alien magnate will only catch it if it's a weak shot. Don't know why that is.

I think it’s because Metallica and TWD use an opto before the ball hits the target to turn the magnet on. With alien the ball has to hit the target before the magnet turns on, which isn’t always fast enough to grab the ball.

#6732 1 year ago
Quoted from Manbearpig:

I downloaded the UPD file multiple times on several different computers. I followed the instructions and it simply will not update. I'm giving up for now. Perhaps something will change and I'll figure it out. As for now I guess 2.4 it is. If I cant get ot updated at some point I guess I'll open a ticket.

are you updating in the correct section? There's a section for firmware and software (but I forget where each is).

#6733 1 year ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I think it’s because Metallica and TWD use an opto before the ball hits the target to turn the magnet on. With alien the ball has to hit the target before the magnet turns on, which isn’t always fast enough to grab the ball.

I figured it was activated after the last Xeno target hit.?

#6734 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

are you updating in the correct section? There's a section for firmware and software (but I forget where each is).

The picture above shows System Update, so he's in the right place.

Make sure there's only one .upd file on the USB drive. Have you done an update before - maybe there's an issue with USB device?

Also you can try booting the game with the USB drive already inserted; it will try to pull the update without even going through the menu system.

#6735 1 year ago
Quoted from bcd:

The picture above shows System Update, so he's in the right place.
Make sure there's only one .upd file on the USB drive. Have you done an update before - maybe there's an issue with USB device?
Also you can try booting the game with the USB drive already inserted; it will try to pull the update without even going through the menu system.

I tried that... yes only one file on it.

#6736 1 year ago

What port are you trying to update on? The cabinet or the monitor? Try different ports?

Again we are just going thru the motions because we don't know what you've done other than what you tell us.

If you haven't reformat the drive.

#6737 1 year ago
Quoted from Manbearpig:

Make sure you don’t have a file number behind the original download. That happened to me, you have to make sure you only have the first version not any other number behind it.

#6738 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I figured it was activated after the last Xeno target hit.?

Correct.
There’s a slight delay from the time the target is hit to when the magnet turns on. I think that’s why slow balls get grabbed and fast ones don’t.
The delay is overcome on MET and TWD because they use an opto in front of their targets to trigger the magnet. The magnet is actually turning on while the ball is still headed toward the target, by the time the ball hits sparky and is headed back to the magnet, it is on and grabs the ball.

#6739 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

What port are you trying to update on? The cabinet or the monitor? Try different ports?
Again we are just going thru the motions because we don't know what you've done other than what you tell us.
If you haven't reformat the drive.

Yes, the top 2 ports of the monitor. I'll try others too.

#6740 1 year ago
Quoted from megaladon:

Make sure you don’t have a file number behind the original download. That happened to me, you have to make sure you only have the first version not any other number behind it.

Ok, I'll have to double check that. Thanks... I'll get to it at some point soon.

#6741 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

check the wiring of the shooter button.

Thanks everyone that offered help. I solved my issue. Here is what went wrong:

1- Shooter button wiring was inverted (confirmed by Pinball Brothers)
2- The auto-launcher was not working, so I had to check every wire to make sure the wires were probable connected in the plugs.

I am now enjoying my new machine!!!

#6742 1 year ago

For those on the fence or have questions on support etc. I had one major issue with my Alien after the first week (had it since early March). The airlock monitor wasn't working, after trying the cable on my laptop and reseating cables I took a few pics opened a ticket and Cato got back to me very quickly. He sent a new monitor, board and cables just in case. After taking everything apart it appears the power wire to the monitor didn't provide enough slack causing the connector to slightly separate from the board. 20 minute board replacement and I was back in business, haven't had a single real issue since. Not trying to whine here, but to compare that to my GnR (many mutual folks here have both machines) it took six months to get the machine running smooth and get any support. So I would say PB are doing a great job and I look forward to seeing what else the future holds from them. No pinball machine company is perfect, but the fact they are working hard to support their product is a great sign in my eyes.

#6743 1 year ago

So tonight I did a factory reset and installed 2.6. Everything seems to work fine, but Xeno still doesn't hold the ball. It grabs it and immediately lets it go. I know the magnet works because it will throw the ball around when you hit the Xeno and the ball does stop. It just 90% of the time doesn't keep holding it.

#6744 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So tonight I did a factory reset and installed 2.6. Everything seems to work fine, but Xeno still doesn't hold the ball. It grabs it and immediately lets it go. I know the magnet works because it will throw the ball around when you hit the Xeno and the ball does stop. It just 90% of the time doesn't keep holding it.

Zablon -

I had this exact problem. I spoke with Cato about it this morning.

He had me take the Xeno head off and loosen the two gold bolts you see in this picture. On the other side, there's a phillips that will make life easier too.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Then pull up on the black plastic piece in the center of the metal plates. On mine, it lifted up a bit.

Then tighten the bolts (I used the phillips side to tighten).

I don't understand why, but this appears to have totally resolved my magnet dropping problem. I have the center magnet on Normal strength with 2.6 and it is working flawlessly now. That's the only thing I changed. I'm curious if it fixes it for you too.

#6745 1 year ago
Quoted from Deez:

This is what they're doing for me as well. They're sending me the whole right coil loom, magnets, IO board and I believe one of the white boards. All were burned in for 16H for reliability. Luckily the harness is already stripped out so shouldn't be a bad swap. I've got my fingers crossed this solves my problems and I get this baby back out on the town. If this doesn't solve it my head might explode .

I can’t wait til you fix this on Saturday so I can call you Tuesday and let you know for a 3rd time that it caught on fire again.

#6746 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

In addtion to the suggestion from brado426 , you can also extend the magnet time through an adjustment - it's called Magnet Capture Time. Default is 3 seconds, but you can try increasing this to 4s or 5s (but not any higher). The magnet can always turn off earlier, as soon as the xeno switch triggers signifying that the arm is fully extended, it will stop. This just sets the maximum.

- Brian

#6747 1 year ago

New to the club. it is now at cointaker's booth, so pinbrew will put it through the paces, what a great looking game.

Ball search issue with a ball stuck in the airlock and the switch for the gobble hole/lock 1 not registering... probably the jst connector.

Backbox was damaged from shipping (well, strapping from factory was NOT on a cardboard protector and crushed the head a bit).

IMG_20220408_003900.jpgIMG_20220408_003900.jpgIMG_20220408_003922.jpgIMG_20220408_003922.jpgIMG_20220408_003932.jpgIMG_20220408_003932.jpg
#6748 1 year ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

New to the club. it is now at cointaker's booth, so pinbrew will put it through the paces, what a great looking game.
Ball search issue with a ball stuck in the airlock and the switch for the gobble hole/lock 1 not registering... probably the jst connector.
Backbox was damaged from shipping (well, strapping from factory was NOT on a cardboard protector and crushed the head a bit).[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That buthamburg pf is fire!!!

#6749 1 year ago

Still some bugs, I had a ball locked on hypersleep but started Alien Ambush but it stayed on with one ball left after draining the others? Also my auto launch still is weak every once in a while but can’t figure out why.

#6750 1 year ago
Quoted from megaladon:

Still some bugs, I had a ball locked on hypersleep but started Alien Ambush but it stayed on with one ball left after draining the others? Also my auto launch still is weak every once in a while but can’t figure out why.

Hypersleep: all optos connected correctly?
Launcher: check if mech came loose, check screws.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders
Pinball Machine
There are 18,571 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 372.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club/page/135?hl=moat-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.