(Topic ID: 297340)

Pinball Brothers & Heighway Alien Apron & Backbox Mod!!!!!!!

By Red_Devils

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,649 posts
  • 163 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by digitaldocc
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231218_194427 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20231020_222247_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20231020_184833_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-03 at 18.20.51 (resized).jpg
Software1 (resized).JPG
Software 2 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_7204 (resized).png
Capture (resized).JPG
20230323_080940 (resized).jpg
strobe (resized).JPG
Pic6 (resized).jpg
pic 9 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monkfe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#738 2 years ago

I'm curious if the beacons (large) will fit without an issue in the "hole" left by the original LV beacon? Anyone with an LV take a look at how these are installed? I'm on the fence about going option 1...

4 months later
#982 1 year ago
Quoted from RussG:

Thank you.
What's the latest software version? Is it 2.8 yet?
I haven't kept up in the other thread like I wanted to.
Work and life.
I am still using 2.4.

Yes 2.8 is up on the PB site

4 weeks later
#1121 1 year ago

So for those of you who have done your install...how did you deal with this fitment issue...particularly around the screw and nut/trough bracket...I can't move the metal piece any more forward due to this nut...

20220918_173033 (resized).jpg20220918_173033 (resized).jpg

#1123 1 year ago

Here is a further out shot

20220918_175148 (resized).jpg20220918_175148 (resized).jpg
#1126 1 year ago

So I managed to file out a small area to allow for better fitment around the trough screw/nut. After filing it open a bit more I was able to get it on...but still not a great fit...I could play with it some more next time I have it out...so few things I came across that you might need to know

the instructional video, while it shows most things you need to know, it doesn't fully explain that you need to remove both the upper and lower opto connectors and place them in their appropriate receptacles on the #8 board. (which he does explain). The #8 board really needs to be mounted as high as you can get it as the power cable was barely reaching the two boards. (in fact I had to relocate it after installing it)

the apron doesn't seem to fit on the original lock tab on the left without giving it a little bend, If I had repositioned the bracket differently It will probably catch better...something to do next time the glass is off.

Which brings me to the right locking tab...its not used and I'm not sure why they designed the right side without the same overhang the left side has and utilizing the same locking tab...my ball got stuck on the right side, a flick of the flipper released it, but I found that bending the apron a bit will probably allow the passage without issue in the future. This is my biggest dissappointment on this mod...I don't know why it was made like this...I'm sure there are reasons.

The stainless bracket...this seems like it also could have been better designed, maybe remove the ball guide above it and incorporate that into it so it locks down to the playfield? the two sided tape is not holding and it seems to be a bit janky as to how it sits there even after I notched it out...but its mosty (mostly at night) out of view...

I've not played with the software and left it stock for now but it looks awesome overall and only played one game where I got a mulitball with the strobing effects...very nice...my 2cents on this..

2 months later
#1341 1 year ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Can someone share a pic or two of the through area? I can’t get that side to sit flush. I watched the movie several times. And it looks like the cut is a little different around the trough area. There doesn’t se to be enough clearance by the post right by the ball eject. The movie shows the new sheet metal covering the entire area. Mine doesn’t line up that way.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Had the same issue, I had to take a round file and notch out the area around that bolt head/nut to get it to fit...my previous post on this...https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-apron-amp-lighting-mod?tu=monkfe#op

20221203_064132 (resized).jpg20221203_064132 (resized).jpg
#1346 1 year ago

It does seem to sit off the playfield a bit...not really a well designed fit I'd say...here is a other shot

20221203_150930 (resized).jpg20221203_150930 (resized).jpg
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1348 1 year ago
Quoted from JDub03:

That pic helps greatly. Thank you. Did you use a file or a deemed wheel to cut the plate?

a round file as I recall...but may have used a dremel sanding drum...can't recall...

1 week later
#1370 1 year ago

I really wish this piece be completely remade with the enlarged areas...and to include the ball guide just above it so that it "bolted" to the playfield. Is this possible?

#1377 1 year ago

It already bolts to the playfield in 3 places.

We're talking about the piece pictured, correct? It's been a while since I installed it, but where is it bolted to the playfield? I recall it being sort of taped to the apron but just sort of sitting there with the one "peg" on the playfield no?

3 weeks later
#1453 1 year ago

What should have happened is like the original apron and had a bend in before it went to the pf rather than straight down, but it should manage once you get it.

Yeah I don't get why this was made without the bend in it like the original? I have the same ball "stuck" issue too, was able to bend it to get it to work, but never got an answer as to why the bend wasn't put onto the right side like the original?

4 weeks later
#1535 1 year ago

use the post...slightly unthread it from the t-nut...then push on it till it releases...but you don't have to remove it...I recall its needed to thread the longer machine screw through no?

edit....just took a look...there is a sleeved post the threaded screw threads into...you must be referring to the post that get completely removed...yeah any long screw can be used..thread it in...and give it a push into the playfield...should pop right out...

#1537 1 year ago
Quoted from brooklynknight:

Ok I got the t nut out, I feel like am at the final stretch! I included pics however after removing the ball guard from the trough I was able to get it to go in, however though I can get it flush when I try to line up the holes to screw the actual playfield in place they do not align. I have to push the apron to the left the get the holes to align(It does not appear I can push it any more left then it already is). If you take a look at the pics am I missing something? Soooo close!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The screw-long machine screw, doesn't make perfect alignment...as far as the stainless steel metal piece...I had to do some surgery on it to get it to fit as have others...look back a page or to to see what it will look like...apparently there was a change in the manufacturing, not sure what exactly changed, but that piece doen't seem to fit later builds...frankly that whole piece needs to be redesigned..it just dangles there held in place by what surrouds it...

1 year later
#1645 54 days ago

Hi guys, I sent a ticket though the website, but figured I'd try here as as well... I fired up my board today after a playfied swap and now the leds(facing the playfield) are constantly strobing and the main "Alien" area is orange/yellowish and flashing as well...The game plays fine without this hooked up. What am I missing here? Seems to boot up ok with the normal blue/white colors in the main area...

#1647 54 days ago
Quoted from brado426:

We received your Email and replied to it. The above gives me some additional detail, so I will reply to you again.

Copy that and found your email...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lewiston, NY
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boynton Beach, FL
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monkfe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-apron-amp-lighting-mod?tu=monkfe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.