(Topic ID: 297340)

Pinball Brothers & Heighway Alien Apron & Backbox Mod!!!!!!!

By Red_Devils

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,649 posts
  • 163 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 days ago by digitaldocc
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231218_194427 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20231020_222247_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20231020_184833_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-03 at 18.20.51 (resized).jpg
Software1 (resized).JPG
Software 2 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_7204 (resized).png
Capture (resized).JPG
20230323_080940 (resized).jpg
strobe (resized).JPG
Pic6 (resized).jpg
pic 9 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider benime.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#154 2 years ago

Please also put me on the backup list for an apron.

1 month later
#205 2 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

Well I have an update and it's not a good one I heard back from the designer and here is an excerpt from his email to me...
"Apparently my mod is a trademark infringement on the ALIEN word/logo which is registered/owned by Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation and any commercial use without purchasing a license agreement this is not allowed."
He is also going so far as to pull all the YouTube video from the original Heighway version he created because of this threat.
He also stated that the people helping him with the design and electronics have backed out for fear of being sued. It looks like Pinball Brothers have got what they wanted, no competition on the aprons. This really sucks and kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth with PB, it sure sounds like he received a cease and desist letter and "somebody" brought it to light with them.
I want to thank all you guys who wanted in on this amazing mod and it is a sad day that we aren't going to be able to see this on our machines.
Peace out guys.
Red_Devils out...

If it's just the word/logo ALIEN, why not just dump it and keep the rest?

Seems silly to scrap the whole project over that but I guess that's just me.

1 week later
#289 2 years ago

Is there any way to get the apron with the 'Limited Edition' still on it? Is that an option?

7 months later
#849 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Oh really? Did not know that. I already had bought one lol.

yeah, I already bought one too since originally it was stated it would not be included.

2 months later
#1112 1 year ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

You cannot run the app from a phone it has to be run from a PC, you need a USB cord to connect from the board to a PC to program it. You can't do this from a phone.
Also just as an FYI the app will not work on Apple devices, you will need to run it in a Windows emulator on a Mac.

Quoted from Zablon:

BTW another thing to note is that the USB connector needed is the OLD OLD mini connector.

oof, it's 2022 and we're still making apps that are Windows only and using connectors from 1998.

1 month later
#1257 1 year ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Where do we buy the led kit and instructions to add to our new apron. Or maybe outline parts needed at Comet pinball to order.
Thx

They previously mentioned these would be RGB addressable LEDs. WS2811, seen in the annunciator screenshot, is an IC used in addressable RGB LED strips, see here:

https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/WS2811.pdf

I would guess any strip based on WS2811 would work, but you may want to wait for them to confirm.

1 week later
#1280 1 year ago

3 weeks later
#1382 1 year ago
Quoted from PDX-Mike:

OK, all my LV owners out there! I sent the measurements to the OP and here's what I came up with. Please remember I used a dremel, these should fit and I'm hoping OP sends me one to test. This should be the fit for all LV owners.

I'm curious how large is this piece that needs modified? I have an LV and my apron shipped a little over a week ago, so I'm wondering if us LV owners are going to get a replacement part or if we'll also need to modify the existing one?

1 week later
#1397 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

So... ive managed to get the old apron off but my god it wasn't easy. There weren't any other screws but it was wedged very tight between the playfield and the tabs keeping it in place. I had to lterally bend/pry it off.

Mine was the same and I suspect it's because of the trough redesign. Once you remove the three screws (two on front hangers and one on the shooter lane post), there's no room to slide it forward due to the trough mech hanging it up. I suspect new installations will require folks to drop the trough mech in order to slide the apron; I also used a pry bar for removing tack strips to gently bend the original apron enough to get it over the metal ball guides and then I could lift the apron directly up.

1 week later
#1404 1 year ago

Finally finished with my apron install yesterday, happy to report everything working out of the box.

Only some minor gripes:

* Would've liked to see some zip ties on those 8+ foot cables to keep them more manageable during install.
* Would've liked the power splitter for Playfield Board 8 to be a little longer. Even after installing it at the location shown in the instructions, the cable was just barely long enough to connect.
* RJ45 jacks on Aux Boards 1 and 8 have plastic posts to align them on the PCB, but it doesn't look like the part has metal grounding tabs at the 4 corners, although the PCBs have through holes for them. Only a little concerned the jacks might fail over time due to vibration since they pulled up and away from the PCB pretty easily during install, so the only thing keeping them in place is the 8 small through hole pins.
* Would've liked the beacons to be a little more plug and play; the wires that came on my lights were too short to reach down into the cabinet where the Beacon PCB is located, so I desoldered them and ran my own wires. I ended up removing the magnet on the bottom, running the wires through the hole, and mounted the beacons in the original location using 1 1/2" wood screws through the plastic for a more permanent mounting solution.

Other than that, and dremeling the trough area, pretty easy install and looks great!

Lastly, for M1 Mac folks: the annunciator config tool works in Windows 11 ARM64 via passthrough, but you will need to download a Serial RS232 driver from http://www.wch-ic.com/downloads/CH341SER_ZIP.html in order for it to work.

#1406 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I mounted my beacon board on the bottom of the cabinet right at the back and used the stock cable.

Yeah there was no way I was going to be able to reach all the way in the back of the cabinet, even with my 2.5 ft long arms lol. I managed to mount it behind the power supply as noted in the video, and had enough cable to follow the original cable management and enough slack that I can easily lower the backbox.

1 week later
#1437 1 year ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

How are people securing the new beacons?

1 1/2" woodscrews, the plastic is soft enough you can drill a pilot hole through with a hand drill in a few seconds. You don't need to crank them down so there's no worrying the beacon bases will crack, and if you remove the magnet at the bottom you can run your wires through the hole and into the backbox using the original beacon holes.

Makes for a pretty clean and permanent install.

1 month later
#1544 1 year ago

Just a heads up for folks with the apron, but you may want to put mylar down under the front edge of it.

I took mine off to clean and wax after dremeling the flipper bushing holes to fit my precision flipper bushings, and there's a scratch in the clear running the entire length of the front edges that's deep enough to catch my fingernail. I've noticed my clear is pretty soft, so it may just be me.

Added 14 months ago:

To clarify, I mean the edge closest to the flippers, not the playfield hangers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mckinney, TX
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lewiston, NY
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 160.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider benime.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-apron-amp-lighting-mod?tu=benime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.