(Topic ID: 297340)

Pinball Brothers & Heighway Alien Apron & Backbox Mod!!!!!!!

By Red_Devils

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,649 posts
  • 163 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by digitaldocc
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231218_194427 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20231020_222247_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20231020_184833_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-03 at 18.20.51 (resized).jpg
Software1 (resized).JPG
Software 2 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_7204 (resized).png
Capture (resized).JPG
20230323_080940 (resized).jpg
strobe (resized).JPG
Pic6 (resized).jpg
pic 9 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lateralus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#451 2 years ago
Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:

If you were to see the detailed updates , it would blow your mind. I feel like I need 5 radio shacks for all these parts needed.
Talk Soon.

We can't wait, man! Thanks for doing so much and coordinating with everyone on your team and the customers to make this happen. Sorry you have to deal with those who can't read simple instructions and you have to post the same thing over and over again; I'm sure that's just really fun to have to do that almost daily (just mind blowing... smh).

Again, thank you very much for making this happen!

3 weeks later
#494 2 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

There is still time to add “Limited Version” under Alien!
Looking good!!

Yeah that would be sick. If that's possible for those who specified, that would be even more amazing.

#497 2 years ago
Quoted from henning:

Guys, see post 251 - the "limited edition" won't be up there. Laser cutting it on demand for a handful of people will probably result in higher production costs, so I don't believe that would be a good idea.

Yeah, that's a real bummer. Thanks for pointing out the post from 3 months ago, though. I don't remember that.

#506 2 years ago
Quoted from brado426:

The apron programming/wiring will not impact the stock PB beacons in any way. Just leave the beacons unplugged from the Alien Annunciator PCB if you don't want to use them.

You misread his question/concern. He never mentioned anything about not using beacons...

He is asking if the stock Alien LV beacons will have the same effect as the beacons that come with the apron if you chose to order them. In other words, will he get the full effect of the apron even with stock Alien LV beacons....

#511 2 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

UPDATE!!
Here's another short video showing all the LED's in the apron working in the game. Enjoy

That's absolutely beautiful.

1 week later
#546 2 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

UPDATE!
New light show added for attract mode. the Knight Rider effect

Looks amazing man!

1 month later
#641 2 years ago

Breaking news on my LV .
We unboxed mine and it was perfect other than a scratch on the back panel. Other than that I am thrilled and no issues. We went thru it .
For all the folks who are buying the LV and going with option 2, I think it's a mistake. They hardly ever go off. Ours will be incredible with what we are programming. The colors are also not great on the factory ones.
JUST FYI.
I dont see us selling just the beacons with its own board but who knows in the future.
All the folks going with Option 1 you will be so happy with the game play and the beacons.
Have a great weekend.

So, because we purchased an LV, and the main feature that I wanted on this pin was the fact it's coming with beacons, you're saying this apron mod can't work with the LV beacons so we have to buy ANOTHER set of beacons from you in order for this $1k purchase to get its full potential? There's no way to code the LV beacons the same way? I'm a software engineer IV and would be happy to take this to PM to understand what the issue is with the LV beacons - I'm sincerely curious.

Just trying to get clarification.

#643 2 years ago
Quoted from brado426:

It may be a matter of personal preference, but having played the game with this mod, I agree with EightBallTexas. I like the look of the beacons provided with this mod better than the ones that come on the LV and the programming is far more to my liking.... The mod beacons are yellow, which is much more reminiscent of the loader beacons and the Alien franchise in general. The beacons provided with the LV are orange. Also, I haven't personally probed the LV beacons, but they probably do not support the modes required to get the full effect of this mod. This mod has a flasher and rotate mode. However, even if there was a way to make the LV beacons work with this mod, I personally wouldn't want that.

I understand you like them and the color yellow better, and I think they both look great. I like the low profile on the LV (so does the wife), but I also like the taller yellow ones; I'm not too picky on that. However, that wasn't my question and it doesn't seem you know the programming side of it; which is fine, no big deal.

I'm just looking for some geek answers from their team as to why the code/board/driver, whatever is used on the LV beacons (I don't have mine yet), can't be programmed the same with the apron beacons. Whatever code/board/driver they are using for the apron beacons couldn't also be used by the LV beacons, is my question.

I could be totally off base here and I'm not trying to be ignorant to what is being used to code this - I'm just not part of the project so I have no way of knowing. I'm literally just curious more than anything. If I must drop $250 more for their beacons, that's not a big deal. I don't care about that. I'm just a nerd who likes to know stuff like this as it's what I do for a living. I also don't have a game yet to better understand what could or couldn't work by getting in there, so please just know I'm only curious.

I'm happy to PM as well to not oversaturate this thread with these answers if nobody else is interested. I'm just a paying customer looking for some clarification from a very talented team, and I'm grateful to even be getting this mod in the first place.

#693 2 years ago

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
I have not heard from below people....all 4 will be removed by tomorrow. I cant keep begging for wires to be sent.
2 of the 4 names slots below have been committed . The first 2 to respond if your wanting to send wires...then that's it.
Once we finally get the 100 confirmations we can start working on "Asking for Balances" THANK YOU ALL.
billsfanmd Option 1 No response.....removed
Richhouse67 Option 1 no response.....removed
@BackLightpro Option 2 no response.....removed
@Nashty Funk Option 1 no response.....removed
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
"Option 1" $999 with beacons OR JUST APRON "Option 2" $750
All future payments will be wires only.
All orders from Europe will be shipped from Europe. We will get shipping cost later as well for the europe orders.
USA orders will be shipped from 2 locations in Texas. Dave and I will split that to expediate all aprons.
Once we weigh the boxes with the apron and beacons all snug we will shop for best shipping rates and also start reaching out to get payments.
1) RED-DEVILS
2) EIGHTBALLTEXAS
3) BRADO426
4) ZABLON
5) JOETECHBOB
6) RUSSG
7) ZMENY
ZMNEY
ZMENY
ZMNEY
ZMENY
8) LLABNIP1972
9) ELCID95
10) KCIACCIO
11) CHOPPER36
12) DJSOUP
13) MCDOOM
14) BAGGERMAN ( Paid in Full -Wired)
15) DPECK3
16) CRILE1
17) STRAKER
18) MOJOJEDI
19) BENIME
20) GORILLABISCUIT
21) CRISPIN1
22) CAPTCHAOS ( Option 2) Paid in full. Upgrade to option one...owes $250
23) RACERX61
24) PBALLJUNKIE
25) SIXITIESKID
26) DRAIN-O
27) Gooch
28) Flipper-Happy Option 2
29) Bigdaddy07
30) ezeltmann
31) BozotheClown
32) DannyGraver
33) Batedogg ( Paid In Full)
34) Paddy-O
35) DawnP
DawnP
36) Ravenwing
37) dyopp21
38) LordHelmet
39) Moat-Pin (Paid in Full ) Option1
40) Rockrand
41) DVDA
42) Monkfe ( option 2)
43) ChubToad13 ( paid in Full Option 1)
44) Drunken_Idaho
45) Cigaretteman Shipping to to Denmark
46) Dano
47) Calprog (Option 2)
48) Delt31 (Option2)
49) CPR9999
50) Utesichiban
51) mbrave77
52) Oneangrymo
53) BOB-G
54) Lateralus ( Option 2)
55) Chosen_S
56) GreatPins Paid in full ( Option 1)
57) mjpinballs
58) FtrMech Paid in Full ( Option 2)
59) MikeHogue
60) Nstone4425
61) Deadpin ( Apron Only)
62) Jason Shipping to Australia
63) Sheriffs1 !!!!!!CANCELLED!!!
64) Aeon (Option 2) Shipping to Norway
65) Jackalwere Option 1
66 Backflipper
67 PDX Mike
68) RPZ - Option 2- Switched to option 1 Shipping to Sydney Australia
69) visualmagic
70) driph Option 2
71) TheJesman Option 1
72) Hilliguy Option 2( Changed to option 1) Feb28th
73) Ceemunkey Option 2 Shipping to Australia - Wants to upgrade to option 1
74) vlad_nada
75) Firechief81
76) oliator (Paid in full - Option 1) Shipping to Switzerland
77) aaron6920 ( Option 1-Paid In Full)
78) Henning - Option 1 ( Paid in full) Shipping to Austria
79) Sjoend - Option 1 ( paid in Full $999) Shipping to Netherlands
80) empty-m Option 2 ( Paid in Full $750)
81) Kkoss24 Option 2 ( Wired full payment)
82) Jurulz Option 1 ( Paid in Full) Ship to Canada
83) JDub03 Option 1 ( Paid in Full)
84) Billsfanmd Option no response cancelled spot.
85) MarioParty Option 2 (Paid)
86) JOKERPOKER Option 2 ( Paid)
87) Makakka Option 2 ( PAID)
88) Richhouse67 Option 1 no response....cancelled spot.
89) Fatdirk Cancelled.
90) Jecco74 Option 1 - Paid in Full
91) PaulBaptise Option 1 Paid In full
92) Nashty Funk Option 1 no response ....cancelled spot.
93) BackLightpro Option 2 no response....canceled spot.
94) brandonx76 Option 2 Paid in full
95) WCBU64 OPTION 1 (Wired us $250 deposit.)
96) Soundmazta Deposit made to felix $250- Option 1
New buyers below .
1) Luscsxd Option 1( Ship to Australia) Wire info sent Friday April 1st.
2) T-800 Wire info sent....Friday April 1st. Option 1
3) matlynch91 Sending wire today. PAID IN FULL......Option 1
Fees owed to collect later....no rush yet.
Zach $36.62
CaptChaos $22.17
Llabnip1972 $7.72
Kciaccio $7.72
Chosen_S $7.72
OIliator $44.35

Please change mine to Option 1, please. I asked Red Devils already, but it's not reflecting here.

Lateralus #54

Thank you.

#733 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Still thinking about getting the updated beacons even though I’m an LV owner
Can you explain how these are installed for LV owners that would need to remove the stock?

I would like to know more about this as well.

#740 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I'm curious if the beacons (large) will fit without an issue in the "hole" left by the original LV beacon? Anyone with an LV take a look at how these are installed? I'm on the fence about going option 1...

I would like to know this as well.

#749 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I'm curious if the beacons (large) will fit without an issue in the "hole" left by the original LV beacon? Anyone with an LV take a look at how these are installed? I'm on the fence about going option 1...

Anyone have any pictures or answers for this?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
2 months later
#867 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

I just received and installed the first production unit and I'm super impressed. Way better than the prototype I've been playing with.

I know it has been a long wait... definitely longer than we were anticipating... but I think everyone will agree that it is worth the wait.

Is there a reason why you didn't show the acid burns on the right side, or any gameplay with this new production apron and showing the beacons? We understand you say it's brighter and you're impressed, but it's hard to tell from that video with you not showing the whole thing installed and you moving around and talking without showing the entire apron even from a player's view at a distance.

If it's not ready, I get it. It's a very expensive mod and we've been waiting quite a while, so maybe I was just hoping to see more of it. I don't know.

I'm not accusing you of anything, but it seemed like you purposefully avoided them because maybe it's not ready? Just curious.

#869 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

Yes, there is a reason... I don't have right type of LEDs for the acid burns for this unit. The production units have the pulsating acid burn LEDs like shown in previous videos. There has also already been plenty of gameplay videos. Hard to really tell any differences in videos. This thing is like the Grand Canyon... you just have to see it in person.

Awesome! Makes sense to me. Really excited about this, man!

Thank you for clarifying!

#885 1 year ago

So, is there any way to make the LV beacons work with this apron mod? Can't it connect the same way as the larger ones? I've asked this before, but LVs weren't out yet, so now that they're out, will anyone test this out?

I know it's more money for you to sell the beacons with the apron, but if there is a way to make this work with the LV, it would be the right thing to do for the community and for those who may prefer them, imo.

I'm a software engineer and would be happy to help in whatever way I can, but I just now got invoiced for my LV, so I don't have my machine here just yet.

It's not the end of the world or anything, but I'm extremely curious how this couldn't work with the LV. I'm really excited for this mod, especially!

#887 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

The LV beacons won't be able to connect the same way because the Apron beacons have a 3rd-wire used for changing the beacon mode. What are you trying to accomplish by hooking up the LV beacons to the Apron? You can just leave them connected as they were provided by the factory and they will work as they did before.

Oh, ok. Gotcha. I was trying to accomplish not spending the extra money for 2 beacons when the LV comes with beacons already, but after your explanation it seems it's worth it for changing the beacon mode.

Does that mean you can have 4 beacons on top of the LV? Or am I an idiot and not understanding correctly?

Thank you for clarifying, Brado!

#890 1 year ago

I will run both....The stock ones hardly go off. I like the larger look and also the more accurate colors. I might take off the squished ones and add a cool alien sculpture between them one day.
So much more functions going on with the mod build.
You will not be disappointed.

I'm thinking the same thing. Will you please post pictures when you gets yours set up? Thanks for the info.

1 month later
#1067 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

I changed mine to RED and wow... that is the proper color for Sentry Gun Mode!!! Not only does it look cool while running, but the transition when Sentry Gun mode starts is excellent. I also just changed it so while the strobing is going on one blade, the other blade doesn't blank anymore. I think that is a big improvement also.

Oh, hell yeah, dude! That looks sick

3 months later
#1421 1 year ago

This was a Xmas present so I didn't even attempt to install mine until recently and just catching up on this thread.

So, will those who have a different trough be getting a new metal piece so it will fit correctly? I don't own a dremel since ours broke recently (was my grandfather's), so that's not an option for me until I purchase one. Frankly, though, I shouldn't have to; so I'm wondering what the status is there.

#1424 1 year ago

Will those who have a different trough be getting a new metal piece so it will fit correctly?

#1474 1 year ago

Do the included beacons work along with the LV beacons? Mine aren't working but my LV beacons are still hooked up, so haven't disconnected them yet to be sure.

Having the same issues on mine: Metal piece doesn't fit, and metal needs to be bent bc the ball gets stuck behind right flipper. Pretty fkn annoying to be honest and gave up for the night.

Will those of us who have pieces that don't fit be getting new pieces or will this question be ignored again for the 3rd time?

1 week later
#1500 1 year ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Install feedback:
The first obstacle was finding the beacon board in the box. It was wrapped up so nicely that I almost didn't see it and nearly threw it away lol. That's a compliment to you guys. Very secure shipping.
The original apron did not want to lift off. I had to get a right angle screwdriver to remove the drain guide rail.
The aux board 8 that you have to install, be very careful (around 5:30 in the installation video). There is no slack in the power splitter. I got super lucky installing that thing where I did. 1-2 millimeters further away and I would have had to reseat it.
I'm stuck on the video 10 minutes in where he's talking about putting the beacons into the board. There are two wires coming from my beacons that are red and black but there are three screw-down areas on the board. The video shows wire colors of red and white. He does not zoom in nor does he talk about what goes where, so I have no idea what to do here. It looks like top and bottom, but I don't want to guess. A quick search in the thread reveals nothing. On the board the word "red" is on the top and "white" but I have red and black... ugh...
Anyone know a quick answer to this? I'm about to guess.

I had the beacons that were coiled (stretch them out if yours are coiled) and only had red and black wires. I had to strip the wires going into the board, insert them, then screw down to secure them. Just inserting and screwing them down didn't work for me.

Any other questions feel free to ping me here or PM me. It took me an entire evening to install correctly ( I was overly careful) plus time out of my day the next day to remove the apron again to tweak the issues. It's not fun, but is cool when installed.

So, if you're swearing as you install, you're not alone. Hopefully your apron actually fits over your trough and don't need to cut and bend anything. They will do nothing for you there.

#1502 1 year ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

lol. Thanks for the replies.
OK so everything is installed. Beacons turn on as soon as the power is on, as does the apron in a blue. But the beacons never stop spinning, and the apron starts flashing quickly this white color. The "ALIEN" part never lights up.
I am assuming that I need to run the Alien Annunciator Config Tool and update the firmware to the latest version, right? I don't have a windows laptop so I'm going to go borrow one and hope that my question will be answered by the time I return with the laptop.
If so, I think I'm all set. Apron actually fit pretty well tbh. No issues.

There is a firmware button and a software button in the config tool. Install both

6 months later
#1602 9 months ago
Quoted from brado426:

When the Alien Apron & Lighting Mod was originally released, there was no LV or Beacon support available. The latest firmware provided by PB (0.71) now supports beacons for the SV and LV. This means we can use that trigger to activate our Apron beacons.
We have implemented a nice solution to integrate the official beacon trigger with the Alien Apron & Lighting Mod. This will allow the beacons to trigger in modes such as self-destruct, queen's nest, and end-game. The beacons will now fire exactly as they do on the LV OR in conjunction with the apron beacon behavior. This is being provided as free information. We are not officially supporting this or shipping any physical parts for it.
To do this, you will need to solder a 4-pin header to AUX Board 10 and make a cable that goes from the beacon output port to AUX Board 10.
Maybe a cable will be made for sale at some point in the future, but there are currently no plans for that. If someone would like to make cables for people, the specs are provided in the documentation.
You will also need to get the latest version of the Alien Annunciator Config Tool and update the firmware to 2.7.5.
Instructions for making the cable and the software download are available here: https://www.evolutionmodsllc.com/software-and-firmware
The software now gives you 3 options for beacon triggering:
[quoted image]
- Apron Only will result in the same operation as it has now… (no LV behavior.)
- External Trigger Only will only activate the apron beacons when the game's beacon output voltage is detected (triggering the beacons exactly the same as the LV)
- Apron & External Trigger will provide both the apron beacon behavior and also trigger the beacons the same as the LV.
I've been testing this weekend and all appears to be working properly. Please submit any bug reports to our Support page at https://www.evolutionmodsllc.com
Special thanks to Mageek for his R&D and inspiration.

It would be awesome if someone could provide a cable for that; I would purchase it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Brownsburg, IN
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 12.95
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mckinney, TX
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lateralus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-apron-amp-lighting-mod?tu=Lateralus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.