(Topic ID: 297340)

Pinball Brothers & Heighway Alien Apron & Backbox Mod!!!!!!!

By Red_Devils

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,649 posts
  • 163 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by digitaldocc
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231218_194427 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20231020_222247_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20231020_184833_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-03 at 18.20.51 (resized).jpg
Software1 (resized).JPG
Software 2 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_7204 (resized).png
Capture (resized).JPG
20230323_080940 (resized).jpg
strobe (resized).JPG
Pic6 (resized).jpg
pic 9 (resized).jpg
There are 1,649 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 33.
#1401 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

So... ive managed to get the old apron off but my god it wasn't easy. There weren't any other screws but it was wedged very tight between the playfield and the tabs keeping it in place. I had to lterally bend/pry it off. I also had to Dremel off the metal on the new apron as it wouldn't fit over the shooter lane(as someone else here also had to do).
So now I have 2 issues - one is same as above in that the opto cables that plug into board 8 are not as they appear in the instructions. My opto 2 upper cable has the missing connection on the left, not in the middle. So my question is - do we plug in as normal or do we absolutely have to ensure that the cable at the top of aux board 8 have the missing connectors in the middle?
Second issue is the software - I have installed .net core 3.1 but the Annunciator sofware still won't install and says the .net core is required...?

Not in the club but working on a friend's LV (delt31)

I was able to remove the old apron by loosening the screws inside the apron holding the the trough metal bracket to the playfield. I used a right angle screwdriver (harbor freight). Useful tool for working on pinball games and only like 3 bucks.

I inserted the connectors into aux board 8 based on the port I removed them from (J13 etc). Labels on aux board 8 corresponded with those connections in and out.

The new apron is held in place with the left tab at the bottom front close to the flippers as well as screws on each side holding it to the playfield hangers. I had to remove the post below the ball eject going to the shooter lane for clearance. I'm thinking of adding a 3-4" bolt through top of apron to bottom of playfield at this site as well. I could use two post rubbers stacked over the bolt for improved cosmetic outcome and to protect it from pinballs in shooter lane. Removing this post also let me install the new stainless piece around the trough ball eject without cutting or grinding on a LV machine.

right angle (resized).jpegright angle (resized).jpeg
#1402 1 year ago

Please add me to the list!

#1403 1 year ago

Please add me to the list! Merry Christmas!

#1404 1 year ago

Finally finished with my apron install yesterday, happy to report everything working out of the box.

Only some minor gripes:

* Would've liked to see some zip ties on those 8+ foot cables to keep them more manageable during install.
* Would've liked the power splitter for Playfield Board 8 to be a little longer. Even after installing it at the location shown in the instructions, the cable was just barely long enough to connect.
* RJ45 jacks on Aux Boards 1 and 8 have plastic posts to align them on the PCB, but it doesn't look like the part has metal grounding tabs at the 4 corners, although the PCBs have through holes for them. Only a little concerned the jacks might fail over time due to vibration since they pulled up and away from the PCB pretty easily during install, so the only thing keeping them in place is the 8 small through hole pins.
* Would've liked the beacons to be a little more plug and play; the wires that came on my lights were too short to reach down into the cabinet where the Beacon PCB is located, so I desoldered them and ran my own wires. I ended up removing the magnet on the bottom, running the wires through the hole, and mounted the beacons in the original location using 1 1/2" wood screws through the plastic for a more permanent mounting solution.

Other than that, and dremeling the trough area, pretty easy install and looks great!

Lastly, for M1 Mac folks: the annunciator config tool works in Windows 11 ARM64 via passthrough, but you will need to download a Serial RS232 driver from http://www.wch-ic.com/downloads/CH341SER_ZIP.html in order for it to work.

#1405 1 year ago
Quoted from benime:

Finally finished with my apron install yesterday, happy to report everything working out of the box.
Only some minor gripes:
* Would've liked to see some zip ties on those 8+ foot cables to keep them more manageable during install.
* Would've liked the power splitter for Playfield Board 8 to be a little longer. Even after installing it at the location shown in the instructions, the cable was just barely long enough to connect.
* RJ45 jacks on Aux Boards 1 and 8 have plastic posts to align them on the PCB, but it doesn't look like the part has metal grounding tabs at the 4 corners, although the PCBs have through holes for them. Only a little concerned the jacks might fail over time due to vibration since they pulled up and away from the PCB pretty easily during install, so the only thing keeping them in place is the 8 small through hole pins.
* Would've liked the beacons to be a little more plug and play; the wires that came on my lights were too short to reach down into the cabinet where the Beacon PCB is located, so I desoldered them and ran my own wires. I ended up removing the magnet on the bottom, running the wires through the hole, and mounted the beacons in the original location using 1 1/2" wood screws through the plastic for a more permanent mounting solution.
Other than that, and dremeling the trough area, pretty easy install and looks great!
Lastly, for M1 Mac folks: the annunciator config tool works in Windows 11 ARM64 via passthrough, but you will need to download a Serial RS232 driver from http://www.wch-ic.com/downloads/CH341SER_ZIP.html in order for it to work.

I mounted my beacon board on the bottom of the cabinet right at the back and used the stock cable.

#1406 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I mounted my beacon board on the bottom of the cabinet right at the back and used the stock cable.

Yeah there was no way I was going to be able to reach all the way in the back of the cabinet, even with my 2.5 ft long arms lol. I managed to mount it behind the power supply as noted in the video, and had enough cable to follow the original cable management and enough slack that I can easily lower the backbox.

#1407 1 year ago
Quoted from benime:

Only some minor gripes:

Great summary. I also installed mine without a problem and my feedback mirrors yours exactly. Thanks for writing it up.

#1408 1 year ago

Apron made the list of Twipy Write in Nominees....https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/2022-twipys-write-ins/?fbclid=IwAR3ypW25QZwm6byV1gC-kVT7DaiWWdJGGxNjwHydG81GpYrot_1eNF0gI8Q

Best of luck to the team! Hope you win it as it is an amazing mod for sure!

#1409 1 year ago
Quoted from benime:

Only some minor gripes:

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this up. I will be taking your notes to the team and we should be able to incorporate your notes in any future runs. Thanks again!!!!

#1410 1 year ago

Can I get on the list for the apron mod please?
Also do you sell the beacons for the top I have an SV.

Thanks,
Ted

#1411 1 year ago

Gee this looks familiar (maybe already been mentioned but looking at new Queen pics and yeh…).

237ED180-84D0-4CA0-B6A8-1EF3EBCE0C95 (resized).png237ED180-84D0-4CA0-B6A8-1EF3EBCE0C95 (resized).png
#1412 1 year ago

Does anyone know if this purple wire coming from Aux board 8 is supposed to connect to this kicker switch ?

B9EE6EF8-FC23-4627-8533-0750C3DB0DA3 (resized).jpegB9EE6EF8-FC23-4627-8533-0750C3DB0DA3 (resized).jpegEF8CE382-C313-4A6C-94F7-3A041F2822C2 (resized).jpegEF8CE382-C313-4A6C-94F7-3A041F2822C2 (resized).jpeg
#1413 1 year ago

It’s the single pin that connects to that board .I’m trying to find the install instructions in my email but cannot find it .

#1414 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

It’s the single pin that connects to that board .I’m trying to find the install instructions in my email but cannot find it .

Install instructions are on the website.

https://evolutionmodsllc.com

#1415 1 year ago

I have an LV and have the apron with beacons mod coming soon. Has anyone replaced the LV beacons with the ones included in the Apron mod package? Is it easy to replace them?
Thanks!

#1416 1 year ago
Quoted from eharan:

I have an LV and have the apron with beacons mod coming soon. Has anyone replaced the LV beacons with the ones included in the Apron mod package? Is it easy to replace them?
Thanks!

Yes. Just did this - pretty straightforward to remove the small ones on the LV - just unscrew them and unplug them in the cabinet.

For the new ones the only challenge is figuring out where to place the board they plug into as indicated ins one posts above. I ended up with my beacon board on the back of cabinet Vs the bottom of the cabinet.

And, I might suggest like many have also noted that you test the apron for before doing any of the wiring. I had to dremel out the stainless steel piece over the ball eject to fit (easily taken off as attached with double-sided tape). Not a big deal and easy install once complete.

It looks amazing when done. Good luck!

#1417 1 year ago

Guys, Voting is open please go and vote for us for best mod of 2022!!!!!
https://twipys.com

I have also contacted this week in pinball asking them to change the creators from what they have listed to Evolution Mods LLC, the creators they are listing is for the old original apron that was for the old Heighway machine and this is a far superior product with much more interaction.

Your vote will be appreciated Thank you all!!!

#1418 1 year ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

https://twips.com
I have also contacted this week in pinball asking them to change the creators from what they have listed to Evolution Mods LLC, the creators they are listing is for the old original apron that was for the old Heighway machine and this is a far superior product with much more interaction.

yeah.... lets hope they change it!!

#1419 1 year ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

https://twips.com

That is not the right link.

#1420 1 year ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

That is not the right link.

Corrected. Thank You!

#1421 1 year ago

This was a Xmas present so I didn't even attempt to install mine until recently and just catching up on this thread.

So, will those who have a different trough be getting a new metal piece so it will fit correctly? I don't own a dremel since ours broke recently (was my grandfather's), so that's not an option for me until I purchase one. Frankly, though, I shouldn't have to; so I'm wondering what the status is there.

#1422 1 year ago

Hey I just heard about this.... Just got my machine too. :/. Are these still available?

#1423 1 year ago
Quoted from Lobo2k:

Hey I just heard about this.... Just got my machine too. :/. Are these still available?

https://www.evolutionmodsllc.com/gallery

#1424 1 year ago

Will those who have a different trough be getting a new metal piece so it will fit correctly?

#1425 1 year ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

I thought you guys just used Fausts design of the apron & then added your own software and possibly made some changes to fit PB's cabinet.

Quoted from Red_Devils:

As stated in the club forum. EightBallTexas and myself had a zoom call with Faust about the apron he designed for the original Heighway Alien, we were gauging his interest if he would like to revise the design so the apron would work for the Pinball Brothers machine. Well we are happy to report at the end of the call he said he would be interested in revising this fantastic work of art. For him to take this on we would need at least 20 and no more than 25 for the initial batch of aprons. Here's the link to the post about the original run...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-apron-amp-lighting-mod-
He is sending me one apron so that we can determine measurements and fit on the new machine, this will be a work in progress and we will update on here. If you would like to be in on this work of art, post here or PM and I will put you on the list. This will not require you to send in your existing apron he will be sending the whole apron with the lighting and it should be easy plug and play. The cost is going to be around $745 shipped to the continental US. Once we start rolling on these I will be asking for $100 deposit to secure your place on the list. I know it's not cheap but art rarely is Here's a few pics of the original one he created
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#1426 1 year ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I thought you guys just used Fausts design of the apron & then added your own software and possibly made some changes to fit PB's cabinet.

Faust is still involved with the project.

#1427 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

Faust is still involved with the project.

Well (IMO) then it seems fair of the Twippys to give him & vimtoman the designer credit and a bit of an overstatement on red devils part to claim your mod is a far superior design. Also, i believe there was already another apron mod for Alien designed before their's ever came out. I do agree that your mod looks better than the original design! I can't believe how little effort goes into the factory aprons.

#1428 1 year ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Well (IMO) then it seems fair of the Twippys to give him & vimtoman the designer credit and a bit of an overstatement on red devils part to claim your mod is a far superior design. Also, i believe there was already another apron mod for Alien designed before their's ever came out. I do agree that your mod looks better than the original design! I can't believe how little effort goes into the factory aprons.

I wouldn't worry about anyone not getting credit for their work. Everyone who worked on this is compensated fairly and well aware of the Twippys situation. Vintoman is not involved. Thanks for caring though.

#1429 1 year ago

All good brando! Maybe not directly tied into your software version but i believe Vimtoman designed the software on the version you copied. Many similarities in the modes/effects as well.

Quoted from brado426:

I wouldn't worry about anyone not getting credit for their work. Everyone who worked on this is compensated fairly and well aware of the Twippys situation. Vintoman is not involved. Thanks for caring though.

#1430 1 year ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

All good brando! Maybe not directly tied into your software version but i believe Vimtoman designed the software on the version you copied. Many similarities in the modes/effects as well.

man it's been so long since you have been trolling on this thread I really thought you had given up. Nobody cares what you "think" you know, you have zero skin in this you don't own the machine nor have you even asked to be on the list for an apron. I really don't understand why you even post on here except just to try to create some animosity. I will now add you back to my ignored users so I don't have to see your negative posts again, good day and Happy New Year to you Sir!

#1431 1 year ago

I am pumped to get my Apron! hopefully it will be coming soon- looks amazing!

#1432 1 year ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Your comments make it clear that you have no idea what you're talking about because nothing was copied. Someone did give me some basic specifications that I followed, so I guess it was done in the same way that AMD managed to create Intel compatible CPUs. Heh heh heh

RedDevilz is right though... You don't even own any of this stuff.... So cut the trolling.

#1433 1 year ago

How are people securing the new beacons?

#1434 1 year ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

I think most people just set them on top. That's what I did. The beacons have a magnet, but I'm thinking Velcro or some custom mount would be needed to permanently mount them. I'm also curious what people have done who want to make them more permanent.

#1435 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

I think most people just set them on top. That's what I did. The beacons have a magnet, but I'm thinking Velcro or some custom mount would be needed to permanently mount them. I'm also curious what people have done who want to make them more permanent.

I just used double sided tape on mine. Non damaging - does the job.

#1436 1 year ago

Soooo...I'm the only one who superglued them?

kidding

#1437 1 year ago

1 1/2" woodscrews, the plastic is soft enough you can drill a pilot hole through with a hand drill in a few seconds. You don't need to crank them down so there's no worrying the beacon bases will crack, and if you remove the magnet at the bottom you can run your wires through the hole and into the backbox using the original beacon holes.

Makes for a pretty clean and permanent install.

#1438 1 year ago

actually now that i remember, I used double sided tape

#1439 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Soooo...I'm the only one who superglued them?
kidding

Fuck it, I'll weld it!!

Thanks guys!

#1440 1 year ago

UPDATE!!!
We have shipped all the aprons that had put down a deposit. We have 10 left over and i have notified the first 15 people who were on the interested list, this is a first come first served list. If you received a PM from me and are interested in getting one let me know ASAP. The list can be found on our website at the bottom of the page on the second tab here... https://www.evolutionmodsllc.com/order-status
thanks for everything guys and don't forget to vote for us in the Twipys!

#1441 1 year ago

I did velcro, easy to remove if I ever need to.

#1442 1 year ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

UPDATE!!!
We have shipped all the aprons that had put down a deposit. We have 10 left over and i have notified the first 15 people who were on the interested list, this is a first come first served list. If you received a PM from me and are interested in getting one let me know ASAP. The list can be found on our website at the bottom of the page on the second tab here... https://www.evolutionmodsllc.com/order-status

Sincere congrats to the team that made this happen. It's an awesome mod. Appreciate all the effort and communication you guys did on this.

#1443 1 year ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Sincere congrats to the team that made this happen. It's an awesome mod. Appreciate all the effort and communication you guys did on this.

Agree 100%. Amazing mod that makes the game that much better. A lot of amazing mods that are nice to have; this is a must have. Can’t imagine owning the game without it.

#1444 1 year ago

Agreed. Everyone involved thank you for this. (yeah yeah, we threw you cash) but it still takes time and effort. Certainly more skill than I have. This is something this machine was missing from day one. I don't care who came up with what first, this is the one that was made available for PB's version and it is great!

Now someone get to work on the motion activated facehugger topper

#1445 1 year ago

Woooohoooo can't wait to make my game complete!

#1446 1 year ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:UPDATE!!!

Let me know if any of those crackers don't respond to you. I definitely want one.

Thanks

#1447 1 year ago

Is this The reason why people had to cut the plate? I’ve been messing with this for far too long and dont see a fix outside of modding this mod.

813FE360-5B5D-4228-91F3-22860C01F918 (resized).jpeg813FE360-5B5D-4228-91F3-22860C01F918 (resized).jpeg
#1448 1 year ago

Is this The reason why people had to cut the plate? I’ve been messing with this for far too long and dont see a fix outside of modding this mod.
[quoted image]

No, I don’t think so, but I have that issue as well. I had to cut (like a few others) the metal piece that sits over the ball eject.

I am however experiencing the same as you. I tried to bend the metal a bit, but clearly have failed this far as I still have to hit the right flipper to let the ball drain.

#1449 1 year ago
Quoted from matlynch91:

No, I don’t think so, but I have that issue as well. I had to cut (like a few others) the metal piece that sits over the ball eject.
I am however experiencing the same as you. I tried to bend the metal a bit, but clearly have failed this far as I still have to hit the right flipper to let the ball drain.

Damnit. I bent it as much as I can as well but it stops the ball completely. Not really usable as is. I’m not fond of having to modify a mod to make it work. That makes me pessimistic if you’re still having the problem. Looking at the fit, my flat post that goes into the playfield to secure the new apron has maybe 1/16” to move back, which doesn’t look like it will address the issue even after cutting.

Do any others still have this obstacle after modifying the plate?

#1450 1 year ago

[quoted image]

I had to manually bend mine back quite a bit, put it on the floor, grab a towel and some pliers and have at it.

**note that is not the part that people are talking about cutting. You don't want to cut that.

What should have happened is like the original apron and had a bend in before it went to the pf rather than straight down, but it should manage once you get it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Mckinney, TX
$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 160.00
$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Arlington, VA
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Brownsburg, IN
$ 12.95
$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

There are 1,649 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-apron-amp-lighting-mod/page/29?hl=jdub03 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.