(Topic ID: 297340)

Pinball Brothers & Heighway Alien Apron & Backbox Mod!!!!!!!

By Red_Devils

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,649 posts
  • 163 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by digitaldocc
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231218_194427 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20231020_222247_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20231020_184833_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-03 at 18.20.51 (resized).jpg
Software1 (resized).JPG
Software 2 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_7204 (resized).png
Capture (resized).JPG
20230323_080940 (resized).jpg
strobe (resized).JPG
Pic6 (resized).jpg
pic 9 (resized).jpg
There are 1,649 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 33.
#1351 1 year ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Okay I’m feeling stupid at this point. I can’t get the metal to sit flush. There is no space between the trough hood and the bottom of the post. Any tips here would be great. I did loosen the shooter coil assembly. That isn’t the issue.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Mine was super tight and had to really work at it to get it in. Must be frustrating but you’re close!! It is worth it - once it’s in and fired up you’ll be blow away

#1352 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

Like I said earlier, loosen your shooter coil bracket. When I was unable to get my apron to sit flush, it was because the shooter coil bracket was too tight and the apron metal piece couldn't slip into it.

I did that right away. The issue I had was all around the ball exit and the post next to it. So I cut the opening a bit wider. Sits perfect now.

#1353 1 year ago

I’m late to the party and would like to order this apron for my Pinball Brothers Alien LV. Since the LV already comes with beacons, do we still need to add the beacons option to the apron? Just want to understand the differences before getting added to the list. I’d also like to include that expansion board as well. Thanks

#1354 1 year ago
Quoted from darkryder:

I’m late to the party and would like to order this apron for my Pinball Brothers Alien LV.

I have added you to the interested list which can be found on our website at the bottom of the page on the second tab...

https://www.evolutionmodsllc.com/order-status

Thanks

#1355 1 year ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

I have added you to the interested list which can be found on our website at the bottom of the page on the second tab...
https://www.evolutionmodsllc.com/order-status
Thanks

Thank you. Ready to pay deposit anytime

#1356 1 year ago
Quoted from JDub03:

I did that right away. The issue I had was all around the ball exit and the post next to it. So I cut the opening a bit wider. Sits perfect now.

Interesting... I wonder if a change was made in later machines. Can anyone shed some light on this?

#1357 1 year ago

Hey Team!
Just installed my expansion mod for the apron, and once again -- knocked out of the park! WELL worth the extra cash. Thanks again for such awesome work!

#1358 1 year ago
Quoted from Drain-O:

Hey Team!
Just installed my expansion mod for the apron, and once again -- knocked out of the park! WELL worth the extra cash. Thanks again for such awesome work!

Are you talking about the Aux Board 10 Expansion? Would you mind taking some pictures from mounting? How is the new multiball lightening like? Such a great mod

#1359 1 year ago

I have a question about wiring up board 8 on my LV. The cheat sheet on the installation instructions says J13 and J21 should have no center pin and shows where they mount. As you can see on my LV, J13 has no center pin but J21 does indeed have a center pin stock from the factory. On my machine J22 has no center pin as you can see in the photo. Anyone know where to go from here?

OR, was my J21 and J22 installed backwards from the factory?

20221206_183835 (resized).jpg20221206_183835 (resized).jpg20221206_183852 (resized).jpg20221206_183852 (resized).jpg

#1360 1 year ago
Quoted from PDX-Mike:

I have a question about wiring up board 8 on my LV. The cheat sheet on the installation instructions says J13 and J21 should have no center pin and shows where they mount. As you can see on my LV, J13 has no center pin but J21 does indeed have a center pin stock from the factory. On my machine J22 has no center pin as you can see in the photo. Anyone know where to go from here?
OR, was my J21 and J22 installed backwards from the factory?

Recently, we've been seeing some machines where the "missing center pin" was at the top for some optos (from the factory). I asked Pinball Brothers about this, and they confirmed that it doesn't matter if it is reversed like your picture. Personally, I've only tested with the missing center pin plugged in at the bottom. I'm guessing it should work both ways, but on my machine, all optos are plugged in consistently (meaning center pin missing at the bottom for all 4 Optos on Playfield Board 8.)

My guess is that it won't make a difference, but I'd say consistency is better.

#1361 1 year ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

Guys, I need a bitt of help trying to track down an Australian buyer, All I have is a company name "Logic Plus Pty LTD" Google tells me the company was sold. On the off chance does anybody know this guy?
TIA

Dave that's me - I was the owner of Logic Plus. I am Jason

#1362 1 year ago

Anyone know where the LV beacons plug in? Trying to non-destructively remove them so I can install the mod-beacons, but they are hard to trace through all of the zip tied wire bundling...

#1363 1 year ago

Also, video included on the install sheet shows connecting Opto 1 & Opto 2 - but not the other two connectors? Where do those plug in?

#1364 1 year ago

Got the LV beacons removed, for reference they plug into the black box in the bottom of the cabinet.

70920951-001A-4998-9433-970DA446C3E9 (resized).jpeg70920951-001A-4998-9433-970DA446C3E9 (resized).jpeg
#1365 1 year ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

Also, video included on the install sheet shows connecting Opto 1 & Opto 2 - but not the other two connectors? Where do those plug in?

Only Opto Elevators 1 and 2 should be touched. Follow the cheat sheet on the website. https://www.evolutionmodsllc.com/documentation

#1366 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

Interesting... I wonder if a change was made in later machines. Can anyone shed some light on this?

He's 100% correct! These are the changes I will have to make so that the right side fits correctly.

20221212_172823 (resized).jpg20221212_172823 (resized).jpg20221212_172848 (resized).jpg20221212_172848 (resized).jpg
#1367 1 year ago
Quoted from PDX-Mike:

He's 100% correct! These are the changes I will have to make so that the right side fits correctly.

Same here, I also had to adjust the metal plate to make it fit.

#1368 1 year ago
Quoted from Sjoend:

Same here, I also had to adjust the metal plate to make it fit.

Can you guys post pics of the machine itself? We'd like to understand what changed about the machine that made it not fit? It fits fine on my early SV machine.

#1369 1 year ago
Quoted from PDX-Mike:

Same here, had to expand the hole to accomodate a screw on the ball gate....

#1370 1 year ago

I really wish this piece be completely remade with the enlarged areas...and to include the ball guide just above it so that it "bolted" to the playfield. Is this possible?

#1371 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

Can you guys post pics of the machine itself? We'd like to understand what changed about the machine that made it not fit? It fits fine on my early SV machine.

Since I still have mine apart in pieces, I'll take some photos this morning and get them posted.

#1372 1 year ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I really wish this piece be completely remade with the enlarged areas...and to include the ball guide just above it so that it "bolted" to the playfield. Is this possible?

We haven't identified a problem yet. It fits perfectly on my SV without modification, so all I can think is some PB manufacturing change? The only issue I had is that I had to loosen the shooter coil bracket to get it to sit down flush against the playfield. It already bolts to the playfield in 3 places.

#1373 1 year ago

Here are the photos, notice the metal piece is sitting on the scoop hood yet it is not sitting flush against the playfeild. The hole needs to be cut larger at the top to allow it to sit down on the playfeild correctly.

Notice the flap that covers the trough, that screw will not clear.

The photo of the back notice where I marked it with a sharpie. It will not sit flush because the bottom of the scoop hood is clearly in the way where it mounts to the playfeild.

There is no loosening of anything that will fix these issues. I am assuming everyone having issues has an LV model as I do?

#1374 1 year ago
20221213_080625 (resized).jpg20221213_080625 (resized).jpg20221213_080631 (resized).jpg20221213_080631 (resized).jpg20221213_080643 (resized).jpg20221213_080643 (resized).jpg
#1375 1 year ago
Quoted from PDX-Mike:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks a completely different ball trough to me on the LV my Sv is much different. Looks like they went with a model that has the fold down gate when you lift the playfield the balls stay in trough, and that mechanism is what the problem is. yep

#1376 1 year ago
Quoted from PDX-Mike:

I haven't installed mine yet (LV owner). What will need to be done now as a result?

Appreciate the heads-up on this!

#1377 1 year ago

It already bolts to the playfield in 3 places.

We're talking about the piece pictured, correct? It's been a while since I installed it, but where is it bolted to the playfield? I recall it being sort of taped to the apron but just sort of sitting there with the one "peg" on the playfield no?

#1378 1 year ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

Looks a completely different ball trough to me on the LV my Sv is much different. Looks like they went with a model that has the fold down gate when you lift the playfield the balls stay in trough, and that mechanism is what the problem is. yep

Yes, that looks like a completely different ball trough than mine. On mine, that metal piece in the picture sits well in-front of the trough bracket.

#1379 1 year ago
Quoted from PDX-Mike:

I just spoke with our manufacturer, and they say they can create a new design, but they need the dimensions.

How many extra mm here?
pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg

And here?
pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg

#1380 1 year ago

I will take measurements and photos for you, i'll shoot them to you in an email. Going to measure, then make the cuts on mine to see how it fits.

#1381 1 year ago

OK, all my LV owners out there! I sent the measurements to the OP and here's what I came up with. Please remember I used a dremel, these should fit and I'm hoping OP sends me one to test. This should be the fit for all LV owners.

20221213_172355 (resized).jpg20221213_172355 (resized).jpg20221213_173520 (resized).jpg20221213_173520 (resized).jpg20221213_173550 (resized).jpg20221213_173550 (resized).jpg
#1382 1 year ago
Quoted from PDX-Mike:

OK, all my LV owners out there! I sent the measurements to the OP and here's what I came up with. Please remember I used a dremel, these should fit and I'm hoping OP sends me one to test. This should be the fit for all LV owners.

I'm curious how large is this piece that needs modified? I have an LV and my apron shipped a little over a week ago, so I'm wondering if us LV owners are going to get a replacement part or if we'll also need to modify the existing one?

#1383 1 year ago
Quoted from benime:

I'm curious how large is this piece that needs modified? I have an LV and my apron shipped a little over a week ago, so I'm wondering if us LV owners are going to get a replacement part or if we'll also need to modify the existing one?

This is not an LV-specific issue. Plenty of LV owners have installed this mod without an issue. It looks like at some point, PB changed the design of the trough for all. I don't have answers to your questions yet... we just learned about this issue.

#1384 1 year ago
Quoted from PDX-Mike:

Thanks for doing that. I have sent the measurements to the manufacturers. We'll see what they come back with.

#1385 1 year ago

Firmware update 2.7.37 is now available.

If you have the Xeno Jaw add-on, you will now see a unique strobe effect when in Queen's Nest mode only. During Queen's Nest mode, the jaw partially opens to taunt the player. The simultaneous strobing is just all the more menacing!

A couple other minor fixes are also included in this update.

https://www.evolutionmodsllc.com/software-and-firmware

#1386 1 year ago

I seem to be falling at the first hurdle here... I just can't get the original apron off. I undo the 2 screws but it won't lift off, push forward or budge. Has anyone else had to unscrew or unclip anything elsewhere? It looks like the tabs inside the playfield are holding it on but I can't seem to unhook them as the apron won't push forward?

#1387 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

I seem to be falling at the first hurdle here... I just can't get the original apron off. I undo the 2 screws but it won't lift off, push forward or budge. Has anyone else had to unscrew or unclip anything elsewhere? It looks like the tabs inside the playfield are holding it on but I can't seem to unhook them as the apron won't push forward?

I beleive you also have to undo the screw by the shooter lane.

#1388 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I beleive you also have to undo the screw by the shooter lane.

Ok thanks I'll have a look for that. The instruction video only mentions the 2 screws at the front.

#1389 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Ok thanks I'll have a look for that. The instruction video only mentions the 2 screws at the front.

It does slide forward... I don't recall any screws on the right, but I haven't done anything with the original apron in a long time.

#1390 1 year ago

Curious for the group with beacons, did you wire all three wires to the beacon controller board? The video said just red & black but I'm not getting anything, so curious if I need to wire the yellow as well?

#1391 1 year ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Curious for the group with beacons, did you wire all three wires to the beacon controller board? The video said just red & black but I'm not getting anything, so curious if I need to wire the yellow as well?

Red and black only... just like the video says.

#1392 1 year ago

Hello, If anyone is still looking to get this mod - I'm selling my spot for the deposit I paid. Was informed my apron is ready to go. PM me if you're interested, and I'll let Red_Devils know. Thanks!

#1393 1 year ago
Quoted from djsoup:

Hello, If anyone is still looking to get this mod - I'm selling my spot for the deposit I paid. Was informed my apron is ready to go. PM me if you're interested, and I'll let Red_Devils know. Thanks!

Hi Red_Devils - ktcoady12 is taking over my spot. Thanks again!

#1394 1 year ago

So... ive managed to get the old apron off but my god it wasn't easy. There weren't any other screws but it was wedged very tight between the playfield and the tabs keeping it in place. I had to lterally bend/pry it off. I also had to Dremel off the metal on the new apron as it wouldn't fit over the shooter lane(as someone else here also had to do).

So now I have 2 issues - one is same as above in that the opto cables that plug into board 8 are not as they appear in the instructions. My opto 2 upper cable has the missing connection on the left, not in the middle. So my question is - do we plug in as normal or do we absolutely have to ensure that the cable at the top of aux board 8 have the missing connectors in the middle?

Second issue is the software - I have installed .net core 3.1 but the Annunciator sofware still won't install and says the .net core is required...?

#1395 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

So... ive managed to get the old apron off but my god it wasn't easy. There weren't any other screws but it was wedged very tight between the playfield and the tabs keeping it in place. I had to lterally bend/pry it off. I also had to Dremel off the metal on the new apron as it wouldn't fit over the shooter lane(as someone else here also had to do).
So now I have 2 issues - one is same as above in that the opto cables that plug into board 8 are not as they appear in the instructions. My opto 2 upper cable has the missing connection on the left, not in the middle. So my question is - do we plug in as normal or do we absolutely have to ensure that the cable at the top of aux board 8 have the missing connectors in the middle?
Second issue is the software - I have installed .net core 3.1 but the Annunciator sofware still won't install and says the .net core is required...?

On the software side (assuming you are running Windows) you need the desktop agent of 3.1, make sure you're installing the correct x64 or x86 version for your computer. I did the first link the first time and it's not correct. Read the page. As for the second question, I will defer to the guys who made the board for support, reach out to them on their site or they will reply to you here. They have been fantastic supporting this mod.

#1396 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Hi!

Glad you were able to finally get the original apron off. I recall struggling with mine a bit also.

The instructions say to ensure that the top connectors have the missing pin on the left. Not in the middle. We have seen some machines recently that had the top with the center pin missing and bottom with left pin missing, so we suspect that it doesn't matter. However, we have only personally tested as it is written in the instructions. I have confirmed with PB that without the apron mod, it doesn't matter if the top and the bottom connector are reversed and occasionally, you'll see one reversed from the factory.

As for the .NET Core framework, you need to install this one for 64 bit:

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/thank-you/runtime-desktop-3.1.32-windows-x64-installer

or this one for 32 bit:

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/thank-you/runtime-desktop-3.1.32-windows-x86-installer

At some point, I will update the tool to use .NET 7.

#1397 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

So... ive managed to get the old apron off but my god it wasn't easy. There weren't any other screws but it was wedged very tight between the playfield and the tabs keeping it in place. I had to lterally bend/pry it off.

Mine was the same and I suspect it's because of the trough redesign. Once you remove the three screws (two on front hangers and one on the shooter lane post), there's no room to slide it forward due to the trough mech hanging it up. I suspect new installations will require folks to drop the trough mech in order to slide the apron; I also used a pry bar for removing tack strips to gently bend the original apron enough to get it over the metal ball guides and then I could lift the apron directly up.

#1398 1 year ago

Just chiming in…new apron…same fit issue as other above. The piece in question is just on with double sided tape so hope to dremmel out the needed space.

#1399 1 year ago

I'm really not having much luck with this... I got the software installed and updated the firmware on the apron, but after connecting all cables, there's no power to it - no lights come on and when the machine starts up the mother switch keeps kicking (I guess it thinks there is a ball in there). I double checked all the cables were correct and they are... ive disconnected everything for now and I'll reconnect the original optos etc but this is proving to be a little troublesome. I guess I'll have to raise this through the website too.

#1400 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

I'm really not having much luck with this... I got the software installed and updated the firmware on the apron, but after connecting all cables, there's no power to it - no lights come on and when the machine starts up the mother switch keeps kicking (I guess it thinks there is a ball in there). I double checked all the cables were correct and they are... ive disconnected everything for now and I'll reconnect the original optos etc but this is proving to be a little troublesome. I guess I'll have to raise this through the website too.

PM'd you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 160.00
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Arlington, VA
$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 12.95
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Brownsburg, IN
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boynton Beach, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 1,649 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-apron-amp-lighting-mod/page/28?hl=pdx-mike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.