(Topic ID: 297340)

Pinball Brothers & Heighway Alien Apron & Backbox Mod!!!!!!!

By Red_Devils

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,649 posts
  • 163 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by digitaldocc
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231218_194427 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20231020_222247_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20231020_184833_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-03 at 18.20.51 (resized).jpg
Software1 (resized).JPG
Software 2 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_7204 (resized).png
Capture (resized).JPG
20230323_080940 (resized).jpg
strobe (resized).JPG
Pic6 (resized).jpg
pic 9 (resized).jpg
There are 1,649 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 33.
#1251 1 year ago

I knew there was something missing. It was the strobing backlight. I think this backbox mod is finally complete!

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg

#1252 1 year ago

Please release the new firmware version! I need this!

#1253 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

I knew there was something missing. It was the strobing backlight. I think this backbox mod is finally complete!

[quoted image]

Send me the invoice already!!

#1254 1 year ago

Hah, EXCELLENT!

#1255 1 year ago

Holy shit guys- the quality on this is incredible. Just opened the box and already love it (I’m going to be cursing and angry trying to install it cause I’m terrible at this stuff and have no patience…but for now ..wow). Can’t wait to see this thing in action. The beacons ship separately (en route or not yet)? Thank you!!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1256 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

[quoted image]

Where do we buy the led kit and instructions to add to our new apron. Or maybe outline parts needed at Comet pinball to order.

Thx

#1257 1 year ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Where do we buy the led kit and instructions to add to our new apron. Or maybe outline parts needed at Comet pinball to order.
Thx

They previously mentioned these would be RGB addressable LEDs. WS2811, seen in the annunciator screenshot, is an IC used in addressable RGB LED strips, see here:

https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/WS2811.pdf

I would guess any strip based on WS2811 would work, but you may want to wait for them to confirm.

#1258 1 year ago
Quoted from benime:

They previously mentioned these would be RGB addressable LEDs. WS2811, seen in the annunciator screenshot, is an IC used in addressable RGB LED strips, see here:
https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/WS2811.pdf
I would guess any strip based on WS2811 would work, but you may want to wait for them to confirm.

That is right... WS2811 LED strips are what we're using... so if any go bad in the apron, they are very common and can easily be acquired and replaced.

We do have a fully working "Alien Annunciator MINI PCB" currently being tested for the backbox and we are currently looking into providing a kit that includes the PCB, LEDs, and wiring. Will keep you posted.

#1259 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

That is right... WS2811 LED strips are what we're using... so if any go bad in the apron, they are very common and can easily be acquired and replaced.
We do have a fully working "Alien Annunciator MINI PCB" currently being tested for the backbox and we are currently looking into providing a kit that includes the PCB, LEDs, and wiring. Will keep you posted.

Perfect!

#1260 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

[quoted image]

Dude. Now your cooking with bacon. That's bad ass.

#1261 1 year ago

New Alien Annunciator Config Tool and Firmware 2.7.36 is released:

https://www.evolutionmodsllc.com/software-and-firmware

The biggest enhancement for everyone today is bug fixes, but it also adds additional features that will be needed later. If you find any issues, you can report them using the Contact form on the website. You can always downgrade to 2.7.19 if you run into any problems. I've been running this version for quite some time without issues.

#1262 1 year ago

This pin was already the most immersive I’ve ever played .I believe I had said “by a country mile “. Now ,Im at a loss for words .I’d like to send a giant Thank You out to this team .I’m completely speechless

17893A8D-420F-4E70-BB8F-A57CAF6F04B0 (resized).jpeg17893A8D-420F-4E70-BB8F-A57CAF6F04B0 (resized).jpeg
#1263 1 year ago

A83C8B87-7B62-4241-8970-D125FA5F190B (resized).jpegA83C8B87-7B62-4241-8970-D125FA5F190B (resized).jpeg
Just finished installing my apron and wanted to throw out a heads up. After you have aux8 installed check your optos on board 8. I had one that refused to light. I checked and double checked my wiring and it appeared correct. After swapping the jumper cables and determining they weren’t the problem, on a hunch I took a good look at the solder joints on the back of the aux board and one of the pins to the opto connectors was missed. I confirmed there was no continuity between that pin and the one directly above it. Slapped a dab of solder on it and then it was good to go.
Regardless of the missed pin (as someone who does a little soldering I definitely know how easy it is to miss one) this thing is some beautiful craftsmanship. Really takes Alien to the next level.

#1264 1 year ago

Just received my apron today and it made it safely even though the box was in rough shape.

I also did not receive my beacons, do these ship separately?

#1265 1 year ago
Quoted from PDX-Mike:

Just received my apron today and it made it safely even though the box was in rough shape.
I also did not receive my beacons, do these ship separately?

Yes... the beacons ship separately. They should be on their way.

#1266 1 year ago

TWIPY pre voting is here. Lets put this mod in for mod of the year!
I attached this thread with my vote so they can see what it is.

#1267 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

TWIPY pre voting is here. Lets put this mod in for mod of the year!
I attached this thread with my vote so they can see what it is.

This should be a runaway

#1269 1 year ago

I doubt it as many people hate on Alien, they'll not vote for this for the same reason. Also, I've not had any other mods other than this to compare.

#1270 1 year ago

Hey! Got everything installed, but I think I might be having power issues(?). Thought I'd throw it on here in case anyone has anything similar in the future. Everything is plugged in and double checked. Power light on the apron is on, but nothing and the playfield is barley lighting up (I remove the power splitter and playfield comes back to normal). Help! Appreciate it!

20221116_125228 (resized).jpg20221116_125228 (resized).jpg20221116_125236 (resized).jpg20221116_125236 (resized).jpg20221116_125246 (resized).jpg20221116_125246 (resized).jpg20221116_125343 (resized).jpg20221116_125343 (resized).jpg20221116_125414 (resized).jpg20221116_125414 (resized).jpg
#1271 1 year ago
Quoted from TheJesman:

Hey! Got everything installed, but I think I might be having power issues(?). Thought I'd throw it on here in case anyone has anything similar in the future. Everything is plugged in and double checked. Power light on the apron is on, but nothing and the playfield is barley lighting up (I remove the power splitter and playfield comes back to normal). Help! Appreciate it!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You have it hooked up wrong. You need to follow the diagram in the directions. At least the green wires on AUX Board 8 are not correct. Do not under any circumstances turn it on or leave it powered on that way. Follow the diagram for all wires that go to the AUX 8 board.

https://www.evolutionmodsllc.com/documentation

Also, could you please remove that picture of it wired wrong? I don't want someone to look at it and think that is the right way to wire it.

#1272 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

You have it hooked up wrong. You need to follow the diagram in the directions. At least the green wires on AUX Board 8 are not correct. Do not under any circumstances turn it on or leave it powered on that way. Follow the diagram for all wires that go to the AUX 8 board.
https://www.evolutionmodsllc.com/documentation

Thanks. I followed the directions in the video, but updated to this now (which seemed to be the opposite of what the video said). Still the same.

20221116_132612 (resized).jpg20221116_132612 (resized).jpg
#1273 1 year ago
Quoted from TheJesman:

Thanks. I followed the directions in the video, but updated to this now (which seemed to be the opposite of what the video said). Still the same.
[quoted image]

Did you confirm that the black/yellow/red wires are correct? Look at the cheat sheet at the end of the documentation to confirm.

The video definitely has the green wires connected with the center pin missing on the bottom.

#1274 1 year ago
Quoted from TheJesman:

[quoted image]

If everything is correct, then the next step is to uninstall the mod and make sure everything still works like it did before installing.

#1275 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

Did you confirm that the black/yellow/red wires are correct? Look at the cheat sheet at the end of the documentation to confirm.
The video definitely has the green wires connected with the center pin missing on the bottom.

Yep. I saw that, but that just wasn't how they were connected on my machine (it didn't match). But thank you for the clarification. Yes, I reverified everything on the diagram. Again, just for my own sanity, lol.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1276 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

If everything is correct, then the next step is to uninstall the mod and make sure everything still works like it did before installing.

Will do. I'll report back this evening. Thanks again!

#1277 1 year ago

n/m that was already covered.

#1278 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

Got it back to stock. Unfortunately now both the left outlane (ball save) and left inlane sensors are not registering and neither are the APC targets.

#1279 1 year ago
Quoted from TheJesman:

Got it back to stock. Unfortunately now both the left outlane (ball save) and left inlane sensors are not registering and neither are the APC targets.

That is unfortunate... you'll have to get those issues resolved before proceeding. It is apparently pretty critical that these cables are plugged in correctly. We added tons of red text and warnings stressing the importance of this in the documentation. These have got to be right. Not sure what further we could do to prevent this for others. We are open to any suggestions anyone may have. Needless to say, we haven't plugged in every combination of wrong connections to see what could cause damage to a machine.

#1280 1 year ago

#1281 1 year ago

For anybody wanting this mod, my spot is available, just looking to get the $250 deposit back. It is option 1 (apron + beacons). Balance will be due to the mod maker as my place in line is ready for payment and shipment. Please PM me if interested.

#1282 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

That is unfortunate... you'll have to get those issues resolved before proceeding. It is apparently pretty critical that these cables are plugged in correctly. We added tons of red text and warnings stressing the importance of this in the documentation. These have got to be right. Not sure what further we could do to prevent this for others. We are open to any suggestions anyone may have. Needless to say, we haven't plugged in every combination of wrong connections to see what could cause damage to a machine.

Okay, got everything back to stock and working again (it was a pin that was loose / not connected in the PCB board 2 power connection). So we're all good there. I went back through the video and instructions, step by step, installed everything, and reverified all apron connections and it's still the same. Apron not lighting up (though I do see the green light come on the apron board) and the playfield barley lights up. It seems like neither are getting enough power (not that I would know ). If I unplug the main power splitter from aux board 8, the playfield returns to normal. Suggestions?

#1283 1 year ago
Quoted from TheJesman:

Okay, got everything back to stock and working again (it was a pin that was loose / not connected in the PCB board 2 power connection). So we're all good there. I went back through the video and instructions, step by step, installed everything, and reverified all apron connections and it's still the same. Apron not lighting up (though I do see the green light come on the apron board) and the playfield barley lights up. It seems like neither are getting enough power (not that I would know ). If I unplug the main power splitter from aux board 8, the playfield returns to normal. Suggestions?

Okay... Do not connect it again. We need to find out what is going on with your setup because I think someone else had the same problem. Unfortunately I can't help you untill Tuesday, but I'm extremely eager to talk to you so we can figure out what is going on. I'm PMing you my mobile number so you can call me on Tuesday. Until then, keep it disconnected and play the game, making sure everything else is working fine. Looking forward to talking to you on Tuesday.

#1284 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

Okay... Do not connect it again. We need to find out what is going on with your setup because I think someone else had the same problem. Unfortunately I can't help you untill Tuesday, but I'm extremely eager to talk to you so we can figure out what is going on. I'm PMing you my mobile number so you can call me on Tuesday. Until then, keep it disconnected and play the game, making sure everything else is working fine. Looking forward to talking to you on Tuesday.

Sounds good. Thanks so much!

#1285 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

Here's a demonstration of the new Hypersleep Multiball mode. Thanks to Zablon for the suggestion!

brado426 Does this still work? Installing my apron tonight, and I noticed while testing that the Sentry Gun Multi-Ball and Hypersleep mode colors, as well as the strobe speed for Hypersleep Multi-ball, all have an asterisk with "AUX Board 10 Required" and they don't appear to be any different from each other anymore during testing.

Other than that small issue, I love it! Fantastic work on this, guys.

#1286 1 year ago
Quoted from driph:

Hypersleep mode colors, as well as the strobe speed for Hypersleep Multi-ball, all have an asterisk with "AUX Board 10 Required" and they don't appear to be any different from each other anymore during testing.

Other than that small issue, I love it! Fantastic work on this, guys.

This is an add on that we will be adding soon in the store. You will need a small PCB (AUX board 10) another CAT6 cable and in addition to the new light shows for each multiball when the Alien jaw opens the beacons and strobe will flash for a couple of seconds. It's a very cool effect

#1287 1 year ago

Installed my apron yesterday. Total game changer. It takes ambush multiball to the next level. I can't imagine this game without this mod.

For Installation, I went extremely slow and watched the video numerous times. There are a couple of spots that are not perfectly clear, so you really need to pay close attention to what you see more than what is said. Especially with that lower board and the led connections. Also, the board has to be positioned higher than what's shown for the power spliter to reach.

#1288 1 year ago

Picked up an sv last week. Amazing game. Can’t wait to get the apron/beacons to bring it to the next level. The apron looks unreal

#1289 1 year ago

UPDATE!!!
Take your apron to the next level....the Expansion kit is now added in our Pinside Store...

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1440-evolution-mods/07450-expansion-kit-for-alien-apron-amp-lighting-mod

#1290 1 year ago

Would you please post a more revealing video of what the new board does when you get a chance? It's not really clear what it is showing other than some quick flashes when the mouth opens.

#1291 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Would you please post a more revealing video of what the new board does when you get a chance? It's not really clear what it is showing other than some quick flashes when the mouth opens.

That's what the hardware does, As you are playing the game at certain times the Xeno jaw opens and screams at you and when it does that it flashes the beacons, strobes and logo on the apron. It also acts as a key that will unlock the software to enable you to customize the light shows for the Sentry Guns and Hypersleep multiballs, so you can have 3 completely different shows for each of the multiballs

#1292 1 year ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

That's what the hardware does, As you are playing the game at certain times the Xeno jaw opens and screams at you and when it does that it flashes the beacons, strobes and logo on the apron. It also acts as a key that will unlock the software to enable you to customize the light shows for the Sentry Guns and Hypersleep multiballs, so you can have 3 completely different shows for each of the multiballs

Based on previous development posts, I was under the impression that the customized light shows for the other multiball modes were already a part of the base apron featureset. Am I wrong or has this changed?

If a decision has been made to lock them behind an upgrade, that's fine, I understand paying for development costs, but it would've been good to message that beforehand. I'd love to have access to multiball modes as shown in this thread, but am fine without the additional hardware to support a xeno light show. For others in the same boat, can we pay to unlock that feature in the firmware?

#1293 1 year ago

Im looking forward to the back box lighting mod with LEds myself.. any ideas on timing of this upgrade?

Question Are the xeno jaw movements tied to in game triggers or are they randomized?

#1294 1 year ago

I installed my apron and beacons. They work perfectly and look amazing, however I can’t handle the strobing. I have a light sensitivity to certain strobing light patterns that make me dizzy. I knew that was a risk but it looked so cool that I was hoping it would be ok. I can turn them off completely, but that takes half of the experience away.
Anyway, if anyone is on the waitlist for the apron and doesn’t mind one that’s been installed PM me. We can FaceTime before I uninstall the mod to show that everything works as it should.

#1295 1 year ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I installed my apron and beacons. They work perfectly and look amazing, however I can’t handle the strobing. I have a light sensitivity to certain strobing light patterns that make me dizzy. I knew that was a risk but it looked so cool that I was hoping it would be ok. I can turn them off completely, but that takes half of the experience away.
Anyway, if anyone is on the waitlist for the apron and doesn’t mind one that’s been installed PM me. We can FaceTime before I uninstall the mod to show that everything works as it should.

The strobing is optional. If you turn off the strobing, it will just display the strobe color you select as on solid. You can set it to red, which in my opinion also looks awesome. If it doesn't behave like that with the latest software then let us know and we will make sure it does for you.

#1296 1 year ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

Im looking forward to the back box lighting mod with LEds myself.. any ideas on timing of this upgrade?
Question Are the xeno jaw movements tied to in game triggers or are they randomized?

Xeno Jaw movements trigger the effect. The only randomized effect is the strobing in Sentry Gun mode.

#1297 1 year ago
Quoted from driph:

Based on previous development posts, I was under the impression that the customized light shows for the other multiball modes were already a part of the base apron featureset. Am I wrong or has this changed?
If a decision has been made to lock them behind an upgrade, that's fine, I understand paying for development costs, but it would've been good to message that beforehand. I'd love to have access to multiball modes as shown in this thread, but am fine without the additional hardware to support a xeno light show. For others in the same boat, can we pay to unlock that feature in the firmware?

To answer your question, let me start by saying this is totally a hobby for us and we're not in it for the money. If we wanted to make money, we would do something else. )

Secondly, I have to apologize because I tend to work on cool projects and desire to share before I understand what makes financial sense to get it into other people's hands. I'll be more careful about what I share in the future. I apologize if I misled anyone.

Third, I can assure you that we didn't even start development on the new features until after the initial product was complete.

#1298 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

Xeno Jaw movements trigger the effect. The only randomized effect is the strobing in Sentry Gun mode.

so for my clarity, the game coding that has xeno jaw movments programmed triggers the strobing in the apron..Sorry i am a bit dense this am

#1299 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

The strobing is optional. If you turn off the strobing, it will just display the strobe color you select as on solid. You can set it to red, which in my opinion also looks awesome. If it doesn't behave like that with the latest software then let us know and we will make sure it does for you.

Thanks! I’ll give that a shot. The apron is beautiful.

#1300 1 year ago
Quoted from Baggerman:so for my clarity, the game coding that has xeno jaw movments programmed triggers the strobing in the apron..Sorry i am a bit dense this am

Yes.... The jaw open will cause a mega flash.... Beacons, strobe, and fire mode. When it was proposed to me by Red_Devilz, at first I thought it was fluff and not a big deal. I was mistaken.... It is an awesome effect.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Machine - For Sale
St. Paul, MN
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mckinney, TX
$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boynton Beach, FL
$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 12.95
There are 1,649 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-apron-amp-lighting-mod/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.