Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by aeneas
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Hello Pinside,
    First would just like to say hello to all members!

I’m looking to get into pinball and am wanting to pick up my first machine!
    I don’t have much knowledge behind the machines and which each game has to offer.
    Hoping the fellow members could provide some insight for me!

I’ve found a Stern NBA machine locally for around $4,000 CAD.

Im also very interested in the new Stranger Things & The Munsters machines.

Would be purchasing the Pro models if I choose any listed above!

Any recommendations on which machine would be best for a beginner, I’d like to get something I’m not going to be bored of after a few weeks.

I’m open to all suggestions on Games to look at in my hunt!

Thank you!

(-Staff I was unsure on where to post this thread, I attempted the marketplace but received an error)

#2 4 years ago

Before investing in a pin, make sure to visit some barcades and try different pins out. What person X likes doesn't mean that YOU will like it. Play as many real pins as you can and then decide which one you want at home.

Also, don't blindly look at the "top 100 pins" lists and similar. There are many pins that are ranked really high at "pinside top 100" that I personally think are much worse than some others ranked around place 70-100. Again, you must try them out yourself to find what themes/pins you really want to play/own.

#3 4 years ago

Welcome to the fun, Bomb. Besides Pinside, here's another place to dive in: https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/new-to-pinball/

#4 4 years ago

Welcome to pinball my friend !

Learn all you can. Play all you can. When you buy your first pin. Buy local so you can see it and play it. Don't be afraid to go home without your first pin. Wait for the right deal for you. Find a new local friend or collector to go with you.

Dragging home a money pit will sour the hobby for you.

LTG : )

#5 4 years ago

Welcome! NBA is a fairly rare machine. https://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5442
    Find some local pinheads to discuss deals in your area.
    Play as many different machines as you can, you'll learn what things you like and what you don't.

#6 4 years ago

Stop shaving, only wear bathrobes, migrate to Tibet, and sit on top a mountain. You will save a small fortune on pinball parts. Really play machines, find what you enjoy. The machine that clicks for you. The one you want to get inside of and learn every mode. Then find one or something close.
    Learn to maintain your machine. Then build another room on your house and start filling it with games...
    Once you start... no going back...
    Sputnik

#7 4 years ago

Appreciate all the feedback, thank you!

#8 4 years ago

All fantastic advice from everyone above. I’d say to make sure that you really like the theme of the game too. I’ve played games where I don’t particularly like the theme (Iron Maiden, just not my kind of music) but the game is still fantastic. But because I don’t like the theme it doesn’t draw me in as much as something like Jurassic park.

Again that’s just me personally. The first machine is like a child. It’ll always be your first love

#9 4 years ago

I’d recommend not spending too much on a first pin. Get something like a Space Shuttle or Pinbot and get your feet wet, learning.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

I’d recommend not spending too much on a first pin. Get something like a Space Shuttle or Pinbot and get your feet wet, learning.

If you really like this era of pin that could work, but if you go this route you’ll probBly be looking for your second pin fairly quickly.. although that will happen regardless of which title you choose.

I’d go with a newer one personally if you want one that will hold your attention more long term, or an older one (90’s - 2000s) that’s difficult so you’ll be at it for a long time trying to beat it. the 80s pins I’ve had, and simpler 90s ones have not held my attention long term in a small collection. But that’s just me..

#11 4 years ago

I noticed you mentioned pricing in CAD where are you located?

#12 4 years ago

Since right off the bat you are mentioning a 4k game, it cant hurt to see if there is a local pinball distributor in your area. Most distributors have games on their showroom floor so you could play a few and see what style of game you truly like.

#13 4 years ago

Welcome to the hobby! Before diving in too far, as others have said, play
    a variety of pins. Find out if there are any pinball shows in your area.
    Although most of the chatter on pinside these days is for newer pins
    they have been made since 1931 and there are many different eras
    to explore. Hope you get as much enjoyment out of this as I have
    over the past 30+ years.
    Steve

#14 4 years ago

Also recommend virtual pinball, video's, etc..... it is not the same as a the real thing but they are fun to play and more importantly, you can get a nice feel for the art, the rules, the audio, etc.... if it is your first pin, but one fully working.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

I noticed you mentioned pricing in CAD where are you located?

Located in Newmarket.

#16 4 years ago

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated and I’ll most definitely hit up some places to get some play time in!

#17 4 years ago

I would go find some location play or see if a local pinsider could let you play some different games before you just go buy something.

#18 4 years ago

And perhaps introduce yourself to a ton of people nearby... see if you can play their games... perhaps say you're looking for a game but don't know what you want... and maybe you'll get some good offers.

Heck, just in close vicinity to Newmarket there are 5 pinsiders with 28 machines
    https://pinside.com/pinball/map/mapbox#14.32/44.05424/-79.46111/0/26

And if you expand the search to 25 mile radius or so you get to over 1000 machines.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/map/mapbox#9.96/43.7855/-79.4552/0/26

#19 4 years ago

Welcome to this hobby.
    My website www.flippers.be has a pinball 101 section, i hope you learn something from it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-beginner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.