8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by wesperron
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Kiddieland.jpg
    Charlton_Heston.jpg
    images.jpeg

#1 8 years ago

It has been for 30 years but recently they took a vote to lift the ban...It failed. They were afraid if they lifted the ban it would lead to prostitution and child deliquintcy.

This is a state that likes to tell you how to live...must wear a helmet on motorcycle, must wear a seatbelt, must not own pinball....it's for your own good..You'll thank us later.

http://www.joystickdivision.com/2011/05/marshfield_ma_upholds_video_ga.php

#2 8 years ago

...that's amazing. This is 2011, right? If I hadn't read it myself I would not have believed it.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from wesperron:

They were afraid if they lifted the ban it would lead to prostitution and child deliquintcy.

Well, that makes sense...I guess at least these law makers are coming up with some new ideas...or should I say scapegoats for the lack of positive direction instilled by, um, PARENTS. Isn't it amazing how the problems are always some one or something else's fault...IDIOTS!!!!

#4 8 years ago

This article specifically says they are not talking about pinball machines, just full-sized video arcade games:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/25/mass-town-to-consider-lifting-29-year-ban-on-coin-op-games/

#5 8 years ago

That story would make a fun Twilight Zone episode...
    Anyone got a shovel so I could dig up Mr. Serling?
    He works for BraAiinnNsS now!

images.jpeg

(Serling intro
    "Here is a town..."

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from mykquillion:

This article specifically says they are not talking about pinball machines, just full-sized video arcade games:

Thats not true...
    The law bans all coin operated arcade games including pinball. The article you posted gives one persons opinion of thier interprtation of the law, but the law states all coin operated arcade games.

It's being reported on the news stations around here that it includes Pinball as well as any other coin operated game.

They will infect your soul...It's the devils work!!!

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from wesperron:

The law bans all coin operated arcade games including pinball ...

I'm amazed that this is even Constitutional. It's one thing banning something like smoking where the negative effects on health are well known, but how can you possibly prove that video games and/or pinball are bad for society?

#8 8 years ago

Just remember if you sell machines near by
    make sure you dont sell to anyone who lives there

#9 8 years ago

Coin-operated games, a little beer, maybe a little smack, then a little child prostitution. It's all pretty linear really.

Damn this is a crazy world we live in.

#10 8 years ago

Kids there are not even allowed to play "pocket pool"

#11 8 years ago

The whole thing reminds me of when Professor Harold Hill convinces everyone in River City that the new pool table is going to corrupt their children.

#12 8 years ago

They can take my pinball away when they pry it from my cold dead hands!! Nuf said.

#13 8 years ago

Now that you mention it, ever since I've had six machines in the basement there have been a lot of strange men coming and going, my porch light is red, and my kids have been staying out late and smell of cigarette smoke. I guess I now know what I've gotta do to get things back to normal!

#14 8 years ago

This town seems very familiar.Doesn't Kevin Bacon live in this town. I think they had a problem with people wanting to dance!!!I think they made a documentary about it!!!

Really???????

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

They can take my pinball away when they pry it from my cold dead hands!!

Very well said. Are you a relative of Charlton Heston?

#16 8 years ago

Are you a relative of Charlton Heston?

Why yes I am. Here are my parents. As you can see daddy is not happy about the news.

Charlton_Heston.jpg

#17 8 years ago

Who's yo' momma?

#18 8 years ago

It starts with P which rhymes with P which stands for Pinbaltution. Massachusetts hasn't changes much since the 1600's. "GO PURITANS!"

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I'm amazed that this is even Constitutional. It's one thing banning something like smoking where the negative effects on health are well known, but how can you possibly prove that video games and/or pinball are bad for society?

It is frustrating. States generally have "police powers," which allow them to regulate activities that affect health, safety, welfare or morals. For regulations that do not discriminate against people based on race, sex, national origin, etc., states are given wide leeway and do not have to prove the ill effects, only that there was a "rational basis" for enacting the law. See this case for some general background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williamson_v._Lee_Optical_Co.

#20 8 years ago

I will add Marshfield, MA to the list, along with Beacon, NY as two places where I would only stop to leave a nice big stinky deuce. Even if it's a coin-op toilet.

#21 8 years ago

Coin op toilette. Now that sounds like gambling.

#22 8 years ago

Hard to understand what these people are thinking?!

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Coin op toilette. Now that sounds like gambling.

SC once I'm older, it probably will be a game of chance rather than a game of skill at that point.

Although I heard co-op toilets are only banned for gambling machines if they pay out for big loads.

This thread just reminded me of this.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102668-Law-Banning-Pinball-Shuts-Down-Retro-Arcade

#24 8 years ago

At least in the Beacon, NY case, the law should have never let this business start in the first place.

To even start the business, the local law should have protected this citizen before it is up and operating for 18 months. Just goes to show you how little they know of their own laws, much less to get up off your ass and change the law once you've made the mistake of letting someone invest in a business that's so-called "illegal".

The owner probably put up a sign that was an eye sore after making a little money, and someone dug up the law.

Not to ramble on, but I've heard of several stories like this lately. NPM is evicted after just opening last Dec. and must close by the end of June. (they have severely reduced the entry fee to $3 and made pay-to-play .75 a game.) Hopefully David can find another location.

I heard of some craigslist post scam mentioning a location in the Midwest was having a pron-adult party, so the local inspectors shut the place down.

And IFPA? Pull the plug a month or so before the games?

I haven't been to most of these places, but doesn't it piss you off???

I was at the Allentown, PA show for three days, and next to the pin show was a spiritual holistic beauty show next door. (which provided a lot of ladies strolling through the parking lot.)

The only person I saw in handcuffs, who supposed evaded police by running through the neighboring farmer's market, was a woman who supposedly showed up drunk and called the police herself because she was too proud to be arrested by the fairground rent-a-cops.

(maybe I should have hit the other show, since allegedly she got away, or been the HSII driver.)

I'm going to break the law and play some pinball today. You should too!!!

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from wesperron:

It has been for 30 years but recently they took a vote to lift the ban...It failed. They were afraid if they lifted the ban it would lead to prostitution and child deliquintcy.

This is sadly pretty common all across the US. Though you don't see a lot of "hard" bans like this, you see plenty of "soft" ones (such as regulations or license fees that make the business model of an arcade untenable), or city councils that will just do whatever they can to block arcades and game stores.

A lot of the laws and fees were put in place during the video game boom in the late 70s and early 80s, back when arcades were generally seedy places. Arcades were so lucrative at the time that if you stuck games in a room and did practically nothing else you could still earn well. People would beg, borrow or steal to be allowed to open an arcade back then, and the laws were "built up" as a result.

They were also a great source of revenue for cities because of the per machine license fees. So there has been a long love/hate history going on there. The city wants the money but doesn't particularly want the arcade.

Now that arcades are in their sunset years and natural market forces in the form of home game systems have largely obsolesced them, the laws should be relaxed. Hell, if anything at this point they need government subsidies and protected status - they're an endangered species! But once a law is on the books, it's not so easy to get it back off.

#26 8 years ago

Hell, if anything at this point they need government subsidies and protected status - they're an endangered species!

It does seem odd that people are still going out of their way to hurt the growth of pinball. I don't know why more people aren't saddened to see yet another part of American history slowly fading into obscurity. Perhaps I'm more sentimental than most, but this type of thing has always really bothered me. For example, they recently closed an amusement park near me called Kiddieland. The park had been around in one form or another since 1929, and now there is a fricken Costco where it once stood. Very sad.

Kiddieland.jpg

#27 8 years ago

The rumor on the National Pinball Museum's 12-13000 sq. ft. is the free two year lease given to David Silverman, which was an old FAO Schwartz building has the eviction clause. The mall was auctioned a month or so after he moved in.

Potential renovation for the mall...a Target. He even had a price structure to avoid an arcade-like atmosphere. They are aiming at the college students, who don't really play probably. Although the local is touristy, which the museum needs. In the end, he'll find a better location, I hope.

If the old farts in the law offices don't recognize that the arcades of the 80s are long gone, and this industry has moved mainly to residential, we have no choice but to protest. They must just want you to stay in your house and play online....Wait my pins are in my house...what bullshit.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from VT8man:

f the old farts in the law offices don't recognize that the arcades of the 80s are long gone, and this industry has moved mainly to residential, we have no choice but to protest. They must just want you to stay in your house and play online....Wait my pins are in my house...what bullshit.

I agree completely. Thats why I posted this. I didn't know about Beacon NY, but now I do.
    These towns must be exposed.
    They must be shamed into changing the laws. I know they are trying here in MA. It was on Fox 25 news. We must embarrass the people responsible and show them for the fools they are.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 199.99
    $ 9,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 16.00
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 38.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 11.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 74.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pin Monk
    $ 49.99
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 499.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 219.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 18.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Top-Notch Target Shields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside