(Topic ID: 216483)

Pinball Auction in Wichita, KS 5/20/18 (70+ Pins & Arcades)

By kst8cat

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FBB347E0-96DC-4E49-9D2F-9C19764E6CDA (resized).jpeg
    Wat8 (resized).jpg
    60A02B63-5F76-42FD-AAE8-824628E49095 (resized).png
    2A486C72-E436-4CF7-B0BA-7E5835B18AD7 (resized).jpeg
    XF (resized).JPG
    SG (resized).JPG
    Poker (resized).JPG
    HB (resized).JPG
    FH (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinpilot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from GamesGuy5280:

A number of people did not approve of the way this auction company conduced the last auction so are not going to attend this one. Especially for less sought after machines. One of the issues was the space where the auction was held was too small. It was difficult to determine what was being sold when and trying to navigate through the crowd. It seems like selecting a venue at the last minute might be an issue again. Another concern was how the auctioneer decided to group the machines together for bidding. Again at the last minute. Most people want to bid on a specific machine not on a chance to buy a machine. Three of us went down for the last auction with funds from a couple others who could not make it. This time around none of us have plans to attend.

^^^THIS.

The auctioneer certainly did well from the seller's standpoint, but from a bidder's standpoint he made me far less likely to drive a long distance to attend one of his future auctions (like this one). The prices were crazy in Tulsa, but that wasn't the auctioneer's fault. When bidders get into a war over things, prices go crazy. When the auctioneer did "Choice of 5" type bidding, its done all the time in the auction business. Expect it from any auction house. There were other legit complaints though, such as the crammed space, HOT & sweaty, (no A/C) and short two-hour same-day preview. That's not NEAR enough time to evaluate dozens of potential purchases! When the machine you're interested in does come up for sale, it's surrounded by bidders, so you can't really see it unless you want to get into an ugly shoving match with other bidders.

Another issue I have is no sale order sheet was given. This is a normal way of business in the auction world. When I attend large aviation or equipment auctions, they ALWAYS provide a sale-order sheet so bidders know the order that things will be sold. Having to stand around in a hot, loud, crowd wondering whats going to sell next is no way to efficiently conduct an auction. Keep bidders comfortable, and give them a bid order list before the auction starts - small things that make a HUGE difference and greatly improve the "buying experience".

#28 5 years ago

Jay, I think if you'd provide a sale order list it would make a huge difference. And with fewer machines at this auction, its even easier for you to do!

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

I’m on the fence about driving in for this. Is there a chance to preview the day before? Is it safe to assume the lesser stuff will go up first? I guess I could come in and do my laundry while waiting for the couple of things I want to bid on come up. Will there be a beer cart? I’ve been to some fun and lively auctions where there was.

1. Jay would probably do a preview the day before if enough people asked.
    2. The sale order is up to Jay - that why I want him to provide us a sale order list now so we know which order things will be sold.
    3. Can't do that without a sale order list - See #2 above.
    4. No beer cart at the last auction, but there were sodas, water, and snacks. May have been a flask or two in the room, who knows?

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from BidLoudcom:

Hello PinPilot, We sold 160 Pinball machines in 3 1/2 hours. That's 45 machines per hour. If we go at that pace on these machines, that should calculate to 1 1/2 hours to do this sale. I am not sure how a sale order will help. Help me understand.

Your point is well taken, as most other auctions I attend are all-day affairs. An hour and a half is not a long auction. But as a buyer, if I'm handed a sheet of paper before the auction thats lists every machine in the sale, in order of sale, I'm going to be a much happier and calmer bidder.

That paper is also going to have your logo, phone #, website, etc on it, so its a brochure for you're company as well. People will hold onto to it after the auction, as a souvenir and a record of sale prices. Its a win-win.

Try it just this once, and then let us know how it worked. We'll do the same!

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from BidLoudcom:

I won't know the order until I put them in line at the auction location on the day before. What will an order help you guys with?

Put in line in the order you have them listed for sale.

#40 5 years ago

No ruckus here, Jay! I'm trying to help you get more attendance, at least from people on this forum. And yes, with a sale order sheet I may just change my mind and attend! All the better auctions have one!

You could even put the machines into "groups", say 1-6, then sell the groups in order. Individual machines in a group would be at the auctioneer's discretion. Maybe that's easier on you but "good enough" for us buyers.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

Normally you would add 18 to 20% to your winning bid. So a $4000 pinball purchase is now about $4,800. Ouch!!!

Jay, the auctioneer, doesn't charge any buyer's fees.

#52 5 years ago

Here's the sale order catalog from an aviation auction this weekend - over 1000 detailed lots, published several days before the auction: http://www.starmanauctions.com/images/Estate-Shaver/catalog-shaver.pdf

Just saying, it's the way its normally done.

#97 5 years ago

I'm not attending due to the lack of a sale order catalog and the "choice of 5" business. But its a long drive from Dallas. If I was local I'd probably go. I bet some of the non-playable machines will go cheap. If you know what you're up against repair-wise, you could do OK.

#145 5 years ago

Prices seemed decent, but not great, maybe even overpriced, especially for many games that don't even power up?

Auction fever is real, and most people wind up bidding/offering far more than they would in a one-on-one deal! There's the "I can't go home empty-handed" motivation, also the competitive need to "win" the auction. Bidders will often bid over the limits they set for themselves before the auction. Ask me how I know these things?

Some of the best advise my pappy ever gave me was "never be emotionally attached during a negotiation" - hard advise to follow at the auction sometimes.

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I think some of these auctions also have the "potted in" feeling.
    If you already drove 3hrs to the auction with the idea of getting a game, had high hopes of finding a deal, and got outbid on the first game you went for; then people want to go home with something. Already wasted the day and 6hr RT travel time, so you want to have a new game for the already committed effort.

No doubt! I was editing my comment to add this fact while you were pointing it out!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinpilot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-auction-in-wichita-ks-52018-70-pins-arcades?tu=pinpilot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.