(Topic ID: 216483)

Pinball Auction in Wichita, KS 5/20/18 (70+ Pins & Arcades)

By kst8cat

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FBB347E0-96DC-4E49-9D2F-9C19764E6CDA (resized).jpeg
    Wat8 (resized).jpg
    60A02B63-5F76-42FD-AAE8-824628E49095 (resized).png
    2A486C72-E436-4CF7-B0BA-7E5835B18AD7 (resized).jpeg
    XF (resized).JPG
    SG (resized).JPG
    Poker (resized).JPG
    HB (resized).JPG
    FH (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 5 years ago

The games are in as good of condition as the ones in Tulsa. They are routed and need cleaned up. They are not brand new but they are not beaten down to the wood. The Breakshot looks almost new but is down on a pop bumper and the ball locker is not working.

Dan could have done a better job keeping them shopped. You will need to shop them but that is back page news.

The Eight Ball Delux LE is an LE but mylar was laid down a long time ago and there is a nice play field under that mylar. Most of (not all) play fields are fairly nice.

He recently sold a Stern Lightening that had some light play field wear but it also had mint back glass.

On all of them the cabinets have been drilled for the high strength security bars that were installed.

The back glasses or translites are nice.

Nothing is mint condition but they are not trash.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

Any info about taxes/fees/buyers premium? Also there is a mention of a fee for remote bidding but no details on how much or how that will happen. Or how long we would have to pick up if we do remote win. Any info on any of that?
    Thanks!

I can't speak to taxes. Kansas may be different that Oklahoma. I do not recall anyone at Tulsa commenting on taxes. I don't recall anybody talking about buyer's fees or anything like that.

For the remote bidding, I believe, but cannot say with certainty that the remote bidder fee of $50.00 was charged---and I think the fee was refunded if you did buy something.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from BidLoudcom:

Sorry, I am too old to have beer at an auction. I do a lot of charity auctions, and alcohol has caused many a problem in those auctions. On the last auction, every machine got sold, every machine left the building that we rented with NO Beer google confusion. So, Sorry again, no beer cart at this auction.

Kudos. Auctions are business. The last thing I want is to be stuck around some drunk who can't hold his liquor and starts chunking all over me.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

1 Star on yelp. Ouch. https://www.yelp.com/biz/lost-sock-laundromat-ii-wichita
    Globetrotters looks like it's in pretty good shape, though (at least as of last Summer).

Why would you even care if there is 1 Star, 4 Stars, or no Stars? That makes no sense. After tomorrow all of the pins will be gone.

Globetrotters play field has been mylared. It is in good shape and plays well. I don't like it, though, because it is always kicking my ass with those scissoring flippers.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

1 Star operation is a pretty good indicator of a 1 star operator. They don't just magically happen.

Well, so FKN what? I mentioned way back up to the top that the op could have done a better job of shopping some of these pins. So, one person gets pissed off at the op over a quarter and makes a down vote on Yelp. And you are going to make a decision based on what you read from someone that you have no clue as to who the hell they are?

The pins are routed. They will need to be shopped. They will be selling at auction. Your Yelp logic is out in La La land somewhere.

#78 5 years ago

I just came back from Walmart. Lost Sock is on the way so I stopped for a look around.

Inside the laundry mat are 4 pins only remaining. They are: Genesis, (1) Tee'd Off, (1) Super Mario Brothers, and Spyhunter. I would assume that all of the others are in the other building nearby being readied for sale.

All of the other pins that I can think of off the top of my head: Cueball Wizard, Silverball Mania, Stargate, Cyclone, EBD LE, Funhouse, Harlem Globetrotters, Big Hurt, Breakshot, etc. I will assume are in the sale.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

If you look at the thread about his last sale there were almost 600 post (13 pages) about it here on Pinside. This sale has less than 80 post about it and 10% of those were by me. I don't think expecting the same results at this sale as happened last time is very realistic. I hope for the sellers sake I am wrong but I honestly think there will be a good many of us that are going to be sorry we missed this sale.
    13 post here were by the auctioneer and he never did answer even one question and another dozen or more post were from people saying they would likely not go because of the way the last auction was run. Maybe the last auction was a huge success but I really have my doubts about this one.

The fallacy in your reasoning is assuming this auction will only be seen by pinsiders. I talked to 2-3 people in Tulsa who heard about that auction from somewhere other than pinside.

#80 5 years ago

Not providing list of order machines will be sold, how they will be sold, etc is just plan STUPID - especially with a smaller sale like this one. I am hoping seller does OK but I have my doubts. The only thing he has going for him at this point is how popular machines are right now and how crazy prices have been lately.

You were not there. I was. When the doors opened for preview, you could walk in, look around, and take notes if you needed to. The auctioneer passed out fliers with a list of the machines in alphabetical order, and (I think but do not recall completely) a list that matched the order the pins were laid out on the floor.

The auctioneer told us where he was going to start the selling at and there was an order you could follow. If it was a pin you were interested in it was not hard to make a bid. If you wanted to bid, you were not going to get shut out.

Some auctions I have been to, the auctioneer is rattling his tongue in the auctioneer sing-song so fast you did not know what he was saying. This guy was patient and if you wanted to bid you were not going to be cheated out of a chance to bid. He milked some of the pins for $5.00 increments.
    Which leads to the other point so many of you are bitching about; The high prices. He got the high prices because he took his time and worked the bidders.

As always in any event with multiple people, there were a few walking around with their head up their ass. There are always some who think the rules don't apply to them. The auctioneer spoke plainly and clearly. You could play the pin all you wanted during preview. But once auction started then it was no more playing. As I said, there were a few who thought the no playing rule did not apply to them.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

This is coming from the guy with the 'secret stash' Cluster-F**k sale from his garage? Talk about calling the kettle black.
    My recollection of the other auction was that everyone who bought a machine was happy. The seller made a lot more money than he would have any other way. The auctioneer got paid. That sounds successful to me.
    Stop bitching and play some pinball!

Yes. The last auction, many were on this forum bitching about how there would be no beer served. There was not going to be this. There is not going to be that. Auctioneer should be doing this. Be doing that. Bitch bitch bitch. After the sale, no one would stop whining about the high prices and how they went home empty handed.

#98 5 years ago

Group auctions and how they work: 5 pins are part of a group. There are Big Hurt, Breakshot, Globetrotters, Stargate, and Cue Ball Wizard.

The auction starts and you are sweet on Cue Ball Wizard. The bidding proceeds to the point that it is you bidding against another guy. Trouble for you is you don't know which pin he is bidding on. The gets too high for you and the other guy wins the bid. However, he was sweet on Big Hurt, takes his Big Hurt and calls it a day.

Now, you have another chance for Cue Ball Wizard.

Or maybe the winning bidder takes all 5 and you are just SOL.

#104 5 years ago

This auction is packed with people.

#105 5 years ago

EBD LE. $2200.00
    Sold

#107 5 years ago

Super Mario bros. 2200.00

Teed off. 1600

Star Wars pinball 2000
    $2300

#108 5 years ago

Cyclopes. $ 5200.00

Super Mario bros #2 $2200

Cue ball wizard $1900

Barb wire $1500

Globetrotter $800

Lost world $ 750.00

All sold on choice auction

Different buyers all

#110 5 years ago

Stargate. $2100

Cyclone. $1850.00

Jokerz $1000

Silver all mania. $850

#111 5 years ago

Cyclopes
    2 bidders 1 on floor 1 on phone

Phone bidder got it

#112 5 years ago

Grand Lizard $1550

Gladiators. $1050

#114 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Grand Lizard $1550
    Gladiators. $1050

X-Files. $1750

Jokerz #2. $900

Hardbody. $700

#134 5 years ago

As I have said all along - "no dog in the race" - but likely not the best way to sell machines. However my main interest in posting here was some free bumps for the seller hoping for a better sale for the seller. I don't doubt Jay (the auctioneer) has good intentions but I know he wouldn't be my first choice if I was selling a group of machines. But he is 1500 miles away from me anyway so it really doesn't matter!

What, pray tell, is the best way to sell a group of machines? The seller wanted to get good prices (good = as much as he could get), People came from all over. In four hours, the seller's pins were gone and he is sort of retired. I thought the auctioneer did a good job for the seller. I think the seller thought the auctioneer did a good job. The people who bought these machines were smiling.

So, if you have a "best" way to sell a group of machines fast and get decent money, let's hear it.

#138 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

A really nice Big Hurt sold in Sacramento CL for $900 last month, and sat there for weeks before someone took it. $1600 seems high.

Factor in $400.00 shipping from Cali to the buyer's home in Oklahoma and $900.00 turns into $1300.00. And then you don't know what will be coming of of the truck. And you always have the unquantifiable hassle factors. The buyer, as he states, is happy and you weren't here so why are you worrying about it?

Quoted from Mikedenton49:

Ones mans trash is another's treasure I guess. Been looking for one of these for over a year. 900 would be a steal especially if it was in this ones condition. Its not an awesome theme except for to someone who likes it. The game itself is fun as hell. I'm a satisfied buyer. So there is that.

#160 5 years ago
    Quoted from knockerlover:

So.. the real question is, will the buyer of the Cyclopes come forward and admit to paying $5200?

I asked the auctioneer if he would tell us in what state, not city, just state and he ain't talking. Told me that he would not reveal any info. on me and his other customers get the same consideration. He's a pro.

I seem to recall at the Tulsa auction that the real price busters were the phone bidders. I would imagine that the auctioneer kept records of his phone buyers, called them, and said, " Hey ! I have another pin auction working and I have a very rare pin called Cyclopes. Only 400 made."

It almost made me fell like I was at a Sotheby's or Christie's auction.

#188 5 years ago

I don't know how you would set it up but to limit your sale to cash would put a cap on things I think. If someone wanted several of your pins you could be talking people carrying several thousands in cash. That said, 1986 I sold my Corvette for $14,000.00 and it was paid in cash; A lot of cash and Vettes traded places that day. So, maybe cash only would still work and not place limits on your bidders.

#199 5 years ago
    Quoted from T8ter:

BidLoudcom Since you want to help everyone with this I assume that you will be updating all the ads you placed in the classifieds with the final sale price so it stops dragging down the estimated pinside value of all those games right?

Huh? I did not know that that BidLoud made any Pinside ads. Can you give me a link to one of those ads, please.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-auction-in-wichita-ks-52018-70-pins-arcades?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.