(Topic ID: 216483)

Pinball Auction in Wichita, KS 5/20/18 (70+ Pins & Arcades)

By kst8cat

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FBB347E0-96DC-4E49-9D2F-9C19764E6CDA (resized).jpeg
    Wat8 (resized).jpg
    60A02B63-5F76-42FD-AAE8-824628E49095 (resized).png
    2A486C72-E436-4CF7-B0BA-7E5835B18AD7 (resized).jpeg
    XF (resized).JPG
    SG (resized).JPG
    Poker (resized).JPG
    HB (resized).JPG
    FH (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GamesGuy5280.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 5 years ago

A number of people did not approve of the way this auction company conduced the last auction so are not going to attend this one. Especially for less sought after machines. One of the issues was the space where the auction was held was too small. It was difficult to determine what was being sold when and trying to navigate through the crowd. It seems like selecting a venue at the last minute might be an issue again. Another concern was how the auctioneer decided to group the machines together for bidding. Again at the last minute. Most people want to bid on a specific machine not on a chance to buy a machine. Three of us went down for the last auction with funds from a couple others who could not make it. This time around none of us have plans to attend.

#50 5 years ago

This is the same for me. Especially when this is announced only an hour before the auction.

Quoted from ita47:

I prefer actions where each machine is sold individually. I don't like it when they are grouped and sold choice, that is a BIG turn off for me.

Auctioneers have a duty to the sellers that's for certain. But they also have a duty to the buyers. The auctioneer associations agree with this as well. I believe that this includes a general order and number of lots to be auctioned. (Of course it is understandable that certain items for various reasons will need to be pulled from the lineup.) The style or manner in which the lots will be sold e.g. Buyers choice, dutch, one money, individual items, etc..etc. A selected location which allows for the buyers to easily and readily see and know what is being auctioned at any given time. Knowing in advance which lots have reserves or buy back options. Knowing in advance how remote bidders will be involved.

It does not seem reasonable to me that these things are not planned, known and posted well in advance of the actual auction.

Like I mentioned previously, based on these circumstances and our experience at the Tulsa auction, our group of pinball enthusiasts will not be attending this auction.

#85 5 years ago

I think tomorrow will be a success for the seller in terms of the relative sales numbers beating what is thought of here as being market value. I'm sure there will be a lot of, I can't believe that machine went for that much~! type postings. Such is the heat of the pinball market these days. Even if the greater region and national folks don't attend, the locals will be doing lots of bidding! That's my prediction.

However, I also believe that if the auction house had been a little better prepared or more forth coming with information it would have been even more successful. There's no reason not to be, collectible auctions, coins, stamps, memorabilia, furniture, books, autos, easily do it all the time. Maybe they don't see them as collectibles but rather commodities or widgets. From the website it looks like they mostly deal with real estate so it could simply be inexperience. From a market value perspective, Tulsa did pretty well, especially on the higher end items, but then again it's sales like these which tend to help boost the market. I do know that some of the lower end machines in Tulsa would have sold for more if they were sold individually. Also, some machines were not bid on because there was no set order and potential bidders were off getting pizza and beer! when they were up for bid. Hopefully, this sale will go well for the seller overall and that there are some good deals here and there for the buyers as well.

If my predication is correct maybe it'll inspire some others to sell their collections!

#196 5 years ago

John,

You have an amazing collection!
    I know I would not mind traveling to your auction.
    I'm sure you would be honest and fair in your dealings
    while of course trying to get the most for your games!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GamesGuy5280.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-auction-in-wichita-ks-52018-70-pins-arcades?tu=GamesGuy5280 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.