(Topic ID: 216483)

Pinball Auction in Wichita, KS 5/20/18 (70+ Pins & Arcades)

By kst8cat

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FBB347E0-96DC-4E49-9D2F-9C19764E6CDA (resized).jpeg
    Wat8 (resized).jpg
    60A02B63-5F76-42FD-AAE8-824628E49095 (resized).png
    2A486C72-E436-4CF7-B0BA-7E5835B18AD7 (resized).jpeg
    XF (resized).JPG
    SG (resized).JPG
    Poker (resized).JPG
    HB (resized).JPG
    FH (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 205 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 5 years ago
    Quoted from sparechange1974:

Just got home from the sale. Wow, what a crowd. Not a ton of pinheads, many just buying to have one at home.
    What am I missing on Cyclopes at $5200? The cabinet is beat. What's that game normally worth?

2017 price guide said $400-750. There was some buzz about the game during the preview because of the rarity, so I looked it up. $5200 was an insane price.

#152 5 years ago
    Quoted from JustEverett:

Cyclopes sold for $5200...pretty sure the seller did just fine. lmfao...there were a lot of pins that sold too high IMO, but that one was on another planet.

I am happy for everyone. Sounds like - once again - everything turned out OK.

As far as my post about not liking things the auctioneer does - I am basically just agreeing with a dozen or more other people here that "choice" is not the best way to sell and a lot of people will not attend those type auctions. And also a list of machines with order they would be sold in is the norm for sales like this but this auctioneer doesn't like doing that for what ever reason.

I am done posting here because my reason for posting has pretty much ended. I posted a good many times trying to create so buzz about this auction to help seller get more people to attend. Now that the sale is over me posting is just a waste of my time.

#153 5 years ago

$5200 is definitely high for Cyclopes..... but, find another one for sale. If you find one, I will buy it.

#154 5 years ago
    Quoted from knockerlover:

Why not just a regular auction where it is clear exactly what you are bidding on? This style benefits mainly the seller and auctioneer.

Exactly and from the prices I see paid to me the machines should be clean and working not just off route or outta storage with issues but you get what you pay for I guess and buyers remorse doesn't set in until...

#155 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Factor in $400.00 shipping from Cali to the buyer's home in Oklahoma and $900.00 turns into $1300.00. And then you don't know what will be coming of of the truck. And you always have the unquantifiable hassle factors. The buyer, as he states, is happy and you weren't here so why are you worrying about it?

I wasn't "worrying about it", just pointing out that a nice one went for $700 less on the usually more-expensive West Coast, where pins usually cost a premium, and even at that price, no one was in a hurry to buy it. That's all.

#156 5 years ago
    Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

$5200 is definitely high for Cyclopes..... but, find another one for sale. If you find one, I will buy it.

I was half tempted to bid $5300 just to help the going forward value of the 3 Cyclopes my family members currently own

#157 5 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

I was half tempted to bid $5300 just to help the going forward value of the 3 Cyclopes my family members currently own

how many sharpshooters do you guys have?

I figured you may have been the high bidder just to make sure no more images of that lady on the backglass are out there for others to gawk at

#158 5 years ago

It doesn't look like there were any real deals or overpays, just market value so it was about like buying the game off craigslist or pinside.

#159 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

It doesn't look like there were any real deals or overpays, just market value so it was about like buying the game off craigslist or pinside.

Very good observation LOL

#160 5 years ago
    Quoted from knockerlover:

So.. the real question is, will the buyer of the Cyclopes come forward and admit to paying $5200?

I asked the auctioneer if he would tell us in what state, not city, just state and he ain't talking. Told me that he would not reveal any info. on me and his other customers get the same consideration. He's a pro.

I seem to recall at the Tulsa auction that the real price busters were the phone bidders. I would imagine that the auctioneer kept records of his phone buyers, called them, and said, " Hey ! I have another pin auction working and I have a very rare pin called Cyclopes. Only 400 made."

It almost made me fell like I was at a Sotheby's or Christie's auction.

#161 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

how many sharpshooters do you guys have?

We each have one . . . my dad also has a Sharpshooter II.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I figured you may have been the high bidder just to make sure no more images of that lady on the backglass are out there for others to gawk at

LOL. The one time I'm ever speechless is when my kids point out, "There's grandma on the backglass right there" . . .

#162 5 years ago

Hello to All, We sold these machines in 1 1/2 hours. I made the comment we would be done with the auction in 2 hours, and we were.
    That is why we do the Buyer's Choice. Time, Time, Time, Time.

In our society today, when everyone can have a question answered in a minute thru their phone, the level of patience people have has dwindled to nothing. I had heard at our first auction in Tulsa, that many people thought it would take us until the wee hours of the morning to sell 160 machines. Some at that auction suggested that we would be there from 2 pm to 3 am, because of their experiences with another auction company. We Sold 160 machines in Feb in 3.5 hours, one machine every 79 seconds. Now in Wichita, we sold a machine every 90 seconds.

I have found it difficult to hold my tongue when people post on this forum. It is hardest when someone wants to compare our company to others, and speculate to what we do without attending one of our auctions. I am not here to make you mad, I just think it is unwise to make judgments on whether you attend by what some people post here without true experiences. It is hard to read a post from someone that says that we are doing things wrong, however they can't attend because of a lame excuse and that they are 1200 miles away. You won't attend because you ..... I could say a lot here however I am holding my tongue.

I want to thank everyone that has attended our two auctions. We have heard outside of this forum, that people enjoy what we do and enjoyed attending our auctions.

It may be a bad idea for me to feed the naysayers by writing anything here. Many on this forum want compare our process to other companies, did you ever think that the other companies may have it wrong? If you enjoyed our auction say so here!!

If you think we should change our process, tell me your name (not your cyborg) so I can check my sign in sheets or show me your gas receipts for attending our auctions.

#163 5 years ago

I still have not heard a compelling reason for the Sale Order before the auction? Other than some other company did it.

There are many auction companies that use computers for clerking and cashiers. They have to use Lot Numbers before hand to make sure everything is entered into the computer before the auction even begins. Each item has to have a lot number to match up with their excel sheets at the end of the day. They can not deviate from their lot numbers.

When we have only one Selling Client (like we have had in both of these auctions) we can go faster by hand. I have found a Great Cashier and an Excellent Clerk than can keep the process faster than the computer. If they make a mistake, I am the one who pays the owner the difference. I once paid $ 3250.00 to a Selling client for a $ 3,217.50 mistake by my clerk. That clerk does not work for me anymore.

Pre Auction Lot Numbers (like the other auction companies use), may inhibit the auction. I can’t change course or switch up on the go depending on where the crowd is. If everyone is standing looking at one group of machines, why would I foolishly follow lot numbers and do those machines at the end of the auction, just because some staff member lotted them that way 3 days before? Does not sound good to me.

People come to me all the time at auctions and ask “Where are you going to start?”.
    If just one person asked me to start at a specific spot I might change my mind and do so.

And finally, why do some people complain that I do not give them enough time to preview, 2 hours was not enough for some people, the auction only took 2 hours. The same people in the same post, same breath, feel they can’t wait too long and want to know when the machine they want will sell. They felt that a Sale Order would help them to decide what? What is the value of a Sale Order to the Buyer? Someone give me a solid answer, please. Again, We Sold 160 machines in Feb in 3.5 hours, one machine every 79 seconds. Now in Wichita, we sold a machine every 90 seconds.

You should not listen to the naysayers and the people who have not attended our auctions. They may be leading you astray because they don’t want you to attend, less competition. I have watched for years as people bad mouth items and then bid on them vigorously even when they said it was a POS minutes before.

Trust yourself. Attend one of our auctions. See for yourself. Don’t rely on what others may say.

#164 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I asked the auctioneer if he would tell us in what state, not city, just state and he ain't talking. Told me that he would not reveal any info. on me and his other customers get the same consideration. He's a pro.
    I seem to recall at the Tulsa auction that the real price busters were the phone bidders. I would imagine that the auctioneer kept records of his phone buyers, called them, and said, " Hey ! I have another pin auction working and I have a very rare pin called Cyclopes. Only 400 made."
    It almost made me fell like I was at a Sotheby's or Christie's auction.

Hello from Jay the Auctioneer, I did NOT call anyone and say, come bid. I will have to check, however I believe all of our Remote Bidders for Wichita, were NEW to us. I will treat all of you with the exact same rules, everyone is treated the same. I will not give out information who bought what and where. I will not spend time calling only a few, I will text or email everyone. My job is to get a crowd to attend. Then you guys, the Buyers (Bidders) set the market. By bidding, you are what people will pay for something. For every bidder, there was that guy who shook his head NO at the last bid, that one guy in second, who says today, I wish I would have bid one more time.

#165 5 years ago

One Final thought today, Everyone wants to talk about what something brought at the auction. Some people want to bellyache about how the novice bid them up. Don't you all realize that if the prices go up, then every machine at your house is worth more. I just helped all of you make more money, by your machine just sitting there in your house.

#166 5 years ago
    Quoted from BidLoudcom:

And finally, why do some people complain

I don't know why do you keep complaining the auctions over

#167 5 years ago
    Quoted from BidLoudcom:

One Final thought today, Everyone wants to talk about what something brought at the auction. Some people want to bellyache about how the novice bid them up. Don't you all realize that if the prices go up, then every machine at your house is worth more. I just helped all of you make more money, by your machine just sitting there in your house.

I own pinball machines as a hobby not an investment so if the prices keep going up then I won't be able to afford to add to my collection

#168 5 years ago
    Quoted from BidLoudcom:

Don't you all realize that if the prices go up, then every machine at your house is worth more. I just helped all of you make more money, by your machine just sitting there in your house.

General price inflation is eventually bad for everyone. Framing it as good is disingenuous.

#169 5 years ago
    Quoted from dhard:

I own pinball machines as a hobby not an investment so if the prices keep going up then I won't be able to afford to add to my collection

LOL, there is always something to complain about. If prices were tanking then I don't think many hobbyists would be too happy about that either.

#170 5 years ago
    Quoted from dhard:

I don't know why do you keep complaining the auctions over

I am not complaining. I am trying to set the record straight. I am trying to understand how people can sit here and spout and not attend.

#171 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

General price inflation is eventually bad for everyone. Framing it as good is disingenuous.

Disingenous!! Seriously, have you not heard about thins like BitCoin?

#172 5 years ago
    Quoted from BidLoudcom:

Disingenous!! Seriously, have you not heard about thins like BitCoin?

Of course. Have you not heard about Dutch Tulips?

#173 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Sorry this isn’t true. Rising markets typically help people over the long term not hurt them. Price spikes and high inflation are bad but not rising prices in general. Other than cyclops nothing here when crazy so not sure what you are even talking about.

I’m trying to figure out why people are attacking an auctioneer.

He didn’t do anything that hasn’t been accepted in Sevierville or Winston Salem for years.

Everybody walked away happy why are you all complaining? Isn’t everyone tired of this sour grapes crap here?

#174 5 years ago

No horse in this race but any auction that does not charge a buyers premium can run it any way they please as far as I’m concerned. Wish more auctions ran that way.

#175 5 years ago

So Jay, when is your next “sucky” pinball auction? I’ll surely attend, as I thoroughly enjoyed myself.and I drove a little under 7 hours for this one. I had been conversing with Dan about his auction for a little over two months. I really wanted a Spy Hunter, but it stayed next door.

#176 5 years ago

First-time Pinball auction for me. I've been to hundreds of car auctions and this was a little different. I went for entertainment and to get a garage player deal machine. Once the crowd arrived, deal time was over grouping or no grouping. Too many people to get a buy, many first-timers looking for one machine and just wanted to come home with something. The sale was over for me before it started.

The seller did extremely well, in my opinion, considering condition on most, so much so I thought he'd unplug his remaining machines next door and run them through. The grouping was advantageous to the seller and auctioneer, not buyers. Sales are all about momentum, competitive bidding, and energy, grouping created that. I'm not sure there were any real "time" savings at the auction as a result. The grouped machines were auctioned off one at a time, just like lot numbers. It would save a ton of time during set up though, I would think normally you'd put your high value desirable at the end of the sale, and cheap stuff first. Just my 2 cents.

#177 5 years ago
    Quoted from BidLoudcom:

I am not complaining. I am trying to set the record straight. I am trying to understand how people can sit here and spout and not attend.

Why attend? We were sure before the auction there weren't going to be any deals (there weren't, and there wasn't anything that overpriced either for that matter, so at least that was good), so why drive hours and hours to a remote auction for a chance on a game when you can just go pick up that game locally for the same amount or less, and it's probably been shopped out and is in better shape mechanically? Auction is a gamble, and when you're not saving any money, then it kind of makes it not worth it. You can't get aggravated at people for not attending when there haven't been any pinball auction deals for 10+ years, it kind of defeats the purpose. I used to attend coin auctions and at least with those there was a chance that you could hit it big.

I thought people were just asking basic questions and being fairly civil about it most of the time. You didn't answer a lot of the questions or blew them off, then mock them when they didn't attend. Very weird, lol. But it's your business and you're obviously very successful, so more power to you.

#178 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

so why drive hours and hours to a remote auction for a chance on a game when you can just go pick up that game locally for the same amount or less, and it's probably been shopped out and is in better shape mechanically? Auction is a gamble, and when you're not saving any money, then it kind of makes it not worth it. You didn't answer a lot of the questions or blew them off, then mock them when they didn't attend.

Well said^^^

#179 5 years ago

For me it’s the same as going fishing or hunting, I easily could go to the market and buy all of the fish or meat I’d ever want or need. The point is, it was good, cheap entertainment. I also ended up with a lifetime supply of lane dividers for $20.

FBB347E0-96DC-4E49-9D2F-9C19764E6CDA (resized).jpegFBB347E0-96DC-4E49-9D2F-9C19764E6CDA (resized).jpeg

#180 5 years ago

Okay, trying to get a new thread going, need to have a local place to buy/sell/trade/talk

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-kansas-missouri-oklahoma-thread#post-4411336

#181 5 years ago

I attended and I am glad that I did. Many of the items did go higher than expected based on the condition. I don't think the buyer's choice was really that bad, if you know the relative value of the games. The way the games were grouped, I could kind of predict which game would go first, second, etc. Obviously there were some outliers like the Eight Ball Deluxe LE and the Cyclopes. If I was bidding on a game at the lower end, I did not even bother until the other games cleared out. You set yourself an upper price limit and you take your chances. Congratulations to all the high bidders, the seller and the auctioneer.

#182 5 years ago

BTW, I was outbid on all the games I bid on, but good for the seller. I am happy that he can have some retirement cushion.

#183 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

So, if you have a "best" way to sell a group of machines fast and get decent money, let's hear it.

We'll........I've given this thought over the years. If I were to sell out all at once how might I do it and get the most bang for my buck and what would make people want to buy??
    I'm thinking since I already run the PATZ auction for the last what, nine years? That holding my own collection auction might be the way to go? Get this, no buyers fee's and no sales tax. People could tour the games either in the basement or if the weather was good we could keep a flow of games coming out on the back patio where there would be more room. Or keep the games inside and do the auction outside.......not sure which but just think of it. I'm no professional auctioneer by any means (as many of you PATZ attendees can attest too) but the sale would be cash money so that means no credit card fee's even, the hammer price is what you pay. I'd love to hear some thoughts on this one.

John

#184 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

We'll........I've given this thought over the years. If I were to sell out all at once how might I do it and get the most bang for my buck and what would make people want to buy??
    I'm thinking since I already run the PATZ auction for the last what, nine years? That holding my own collection auction might be the way to go? Get this, no buyers fee's and no sales tax. People could tour the games either in the basement or if the weather was good we could keep a flow of games coming out on the back patio where there would be more room. Or keep the games inside and do the auction outside.......not sure which but just think of it. I'm no professional auctioneer by any means (as many of you PATZ attendees can attest too) but the sale would be cash money so that means no credit card fee's even, the hammer price is what you pay. I'd love to hear some thoughts on this one.
    John

I would come and i would bid. That sounds like an ideal format.

#185 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I would come and i would bid. That sounds like an ideal format.

Great to hear and that's one bidder......do I hear two ?? .......Everything is going, going, gone to the man from Madison....LOL.

John

#186 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Great to hear and that's one bidder......do I hear two ?? .......Everything is going, going, gone to the man from Madison....LOL.
    John

Im gonna need a bigger house.

If this is in relation to the scare from today, don't do anything drastic till you have a few days behind you.
    If you do decide that it is time to sell some off, i am interested in a few for sure.

Guessing you could run one heck of a fun auction and bring in some good money for you in a short time.

#187 5 years ago

Nope nothing to do with todays events, it's just been in the back of my mind for several years now and it seemed like the perfect thread to ask what others think. Any more feedback anyone?

John

#188 5 years ago

I don't know how you would set it up but to limit your sale to cash would put a cap on things I think. If someone wanted several of your pins you could be talking people carrying several thousands in cash. That said, 1986 I sold my Corvette for $14,000.00 and it was paid in cash; A lot of cash and Vettes traded places that day. So, maybe cash only would still work and not place limits on your bidders.

#189 5 years ago

If people REALLY REALLY were interested in buying a game or several for that matter in one sitting then they need to come prepared for sure. Yes it might limit some people......BUT.......it would be there own fault. Always, always be prepared to spend more cash then what you think you might spend, especially at an auction. Remember, no buyers fee and no sales tax will allow the bidders to spend more towards the game itself then what they could at a normally ran auction.

john

#190 5 years ago

Whysnow needs to buy the entire collection and hold a party the first Saturday in November every year and let all us poor schmucks come over to play all them cool pins

#191 5 years ago
    Quoted from dhard:

Whysnow needs to buy the entire collection and hold a party the first Saturday in November every year and let all us poor schmucks come over to play all them cool pins

Hey that sounds like a great idea, now your talking.

John

#192 5 years ago

The party's a piece of cake right John all you do is announce the date and time of the party,plug in and turn on the pins and open up the doors to the house it doesn't get much easier than that hehehe!

#193 5 years ago

I don't think you'd need an auction, I think if you started listing games you'd sell them pretty quickly. Except that Charlie's Angel's EM, that thing better be bolted to the floor, lol.

#194 5 years ago

Better hire an off duty police officer or two with all that cash and people running around your house...

#195 5 years ago
    Quoted from dhard:

Working towards the new, bigger house to be able to do this eventually.

#196 5 years ago

John,

You have an amazing collection!
    I know I would not mind traveling to your auction.
    I'm sure you would be honest and fair in your dealings
    while of course trying to get the most for your games!

#197 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Nope nothing to do with todays events, it's just been in the back of my mind for several years now and it seemed like the perfect thread to ask what others think. Any more feedback anyone?
    John

I've been to my fair share of auctions in the past. In my experience, auctions that do not charge sales tax, have fees, or buyers premiums, have the highest attendance and bidders are more willing to put in that one extra bid or two that they wouldn't have at a sale that has the extra charges. I personally prefer the auctions that are the least confusing to figure out. The hammer price is what you pay. That gets my vote.

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from BidLoudcom:

BidLoudcom Since you want to help everyone with this I assume that you will be updating all the ads you placed in the classifieds with the final sale price so it stops dragging down the estimated pinside value of all those games right?

#199 5 years ago
    Quoted from T8ter:

BidLoudcom Since you want to help everyone with this I assume that you will be updating all the ads you placed in the classifieds with the final sale price so it stops dragging down the estimated pinside value of all those games right?

Huh? I did not know that that BidLoud made any Pinside ads. Can you give me a link to one of those ads, please.

#200 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Huh? I did not know that that BidLoud made any Pinside ads. Can you give me a link to one of those ads, please.

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/bidloudcom/market

There are 205 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-auction-in-wichita-ks-52018-70-pins-arcades/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.