(Topic ID: 216483)

Pinball Auction in Wichita, KS 5/20/18 (70+ Pins & Arcades)

By kst8cat

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FBB347E0-96DC-4E49-9D2F-9C19764E6CDA (resized).jpeg
    Wat8 (resized).jpg
    60A02B63-5F76-42FD-AAE8-824628E49095 (resized).png
    2A486C72-E436-4CF7-B0BA-7E5835B18AD7 (resized).jpeg
    XF (resized).JPG
    SG (resized).JPG
    Poker (resized).JPG
    HB (resized).JPG
    FH (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 205 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 5 years ago

Is it confirmed that they are going to be grouped? Didn't hear anything from them.

#102 5 years ago
    Quoted from john32:

if they sell in groups of 5 I am not interested... I don't know why ...

Like cottonm4 said, they do it so you don't know who is bidding on what. Gets a newbie with auction fever to bid up stuff they aren't interested in. You might want that #BigHurt for $1200 but wouldn't pay anything for the rest of the lot. So you bid $1200 and drop out, now the winner has to pay $1205 for something that would have sold for $450 if not grouped with what you were interested in.

#103 5 years ago

Dont click the link on the webpage it is wrong. Type it in and its next to the laundromat.

#104 5 years ago

This auction is packed with people.

#105 5 years ago

EBD LE. $2200.00
    Sold

#106 5 years ago

Thanks cottonm4 keep it coming!

#107 5 years ago

Super Mario bros. 2200.00

Teed off. 1600

Star Wars pinball 2000
    $2300

#108 5 years ago

Cyclopes. $ 5200.00

Super Mario bros #2 $2200

Cue ball wizard $1900

Barb wire $1500

Globetrotter $800

Lost world $ 750.00

All sold on choice auction

Different buyers all

#109 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Cyclopes. $ 5200.00

WTF?!?!

#110 5 years ago

Stargate. $2100

Cyclone. $1850.00

Jokerz $1000

Silver all mania. $850

#111 5 years ago

Cyclopes
    2 bidders 1 on floor 1 on phone

Phone bidder got it

#112 5 years ago

Grand Lizard $1550

Gladiators. $1050

#113 5 years ago

So far seems to be more in line with typical pricing than the Tulsa auction.

#114 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Grand Lizard $1550
    Gladiators. $1050

X-Files. $1750

Jokerz #2. $900

Hardbody. $700

#115 5 years ago

This auction is done in what i think is called buyers choice format. You’re bidding on first choice of a lot. So people could be bidding each other up and be interested in two different games.

For example if funhouse and cyclone are in a lot and we are both bidding but I want cyclone and you want funhouse.. we would be bidding against each other, and don’t know it. This makes the bid prices artificially inflated in many cases. To each his own but I think this is a shady way to run an auction.

#116 5 years ago

Just got home from the sale. Wow, what a crowd. Not a ton of pinheads, many just buying to have one at home.

What am I missing on Cyclopes at $5200? The cabinet is beat. What's that game normally worth?

#117 5 years ago

There is limited price data available on that game.. it’s somewhat rare at 400 produced

#118 5 years ago
    Quoted from sparechange1974:

Just got home from the sale. Wow, what a crowd. Not a ton of pinheads, many just buying to have one at home.
    What am I missing on Cyclopes at $5200? The cabinet is beat. What's that game normally worth?

Rare.

4000 for a super duper nice exaple is last i know of.

#119 5 years ago

I withdraw my previous bitches. The buyers choice style isn't nearly so obnoxious as it sounds. Lots of great super nice folks there. A few things went silly high, but there were a few great deals as well. Got a very nice big hurt for 1600.

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mikedenton49:

I withdraw my previous bitches. The buyers choice style isn't nearly so obnoxious as it sounds. Lots of great super nice folks there. A few things went silly high, but there were a few great deals as well. Got a very nice big hurt for 1600.

A really nice Big Hurt sold in Sacramento CL for $900 last month, and sat there for weeks before someone took it. $1600 seems high.

#121 5 years ago

So.. the real question is, will the buyer of the Cyclopes come forward and admit to paying $5200?

#122 5 years ago

Anyone wanna sell a Comet? Didn’t get to go. Maybe next time. Shoot. Anyone know what they went for? I heard neither of them worked.

#123 5 years ago

I had fun, didn’t buy any pins, just a few old partially populated playfields. One was a Comet with an original unbroken Skee Ball ramp. (Or whatever it’s called) I know that Mark is making new ones, but you don’t find them intact very often.

2A486C72-E436-4CF7-B0BA-7E5835B18AD7 (resized).jpeg2A486C72-E436-4CF7-B0BA-7E5835B18AD7 (resized).jpeg

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

A really nice Big Hurt sold in Sacramento CL for $900 last month, and sat there for weeks before someone took it. $1600 seems high.

Ones mans trash is another's treasure I guess. Been looking for one of these for over a year. 900 would be a steal especially if it was in this ones condition. Its not an awesome theme except for to someone who likes it. The game itself is fun as hell. I'm a satisfied buyer. So there is that.

#125 5 years ago

What did Breakshot end up going for?

#126 5 years ago

How much did the Funhouse go for?

#128 5 years ago

The first of the flips...

60A02B63-5F76-42FD-AAE8-824628E49095 (resized).png60A02B63-5F76-42FD-AAE8-824628E49095 (resized).png

#129 5 years ago

porkcarrot if you're calling out a flipper, link to the ad so interested parties can make inquiries and eventually offer $300.

#130 5 years ago

I wasn’t necessarily calling him out, he can do what he wants. I just laugh when I see it happen so quickly.

#131 5 years ago

I had a side antique business for about 10 years. I have bought items at an auction then sold them again in the parking lot before I left the site. As far as prices goes, auctions can be crazy. I've seen stuff I was selling less than a mile away go for three times the price I was selling it for. I also have seen things goes for for pennies on the dollar. Just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

#132 5 years ago

I picked up a few games and some parts. Wish I had bid one more time on a couple of games. Here are the prices I jotted down (not counting parts machines). May not be 100% accurate. A few prices I was a little unsure about, so correct me if I'm wrong on these:

Cyclopes $5200
    Breakshot $1400
    Funhouse $3000
    Jokerz! $1100; $900; $750
    Comet $1100; $900
    Cyclone $1850
    Grand Lizard $1550
    Star Wars Episode 1 $2350
    Xenon $1400
    X-Files $1750
    Eight Ball Deluxe LE $2200
    Lost World $750
    Hardbody $700
    Silverball Mania $850
    Tee'd Off $1600; $2000; $1800
    Mario Andretti $700
    Barb Wire $1100; $1400
    Gladiators $1200; $1050
    Super Mario Bros. $2100; $2000
    Spring Break $450
    Big Hurt $1600; $1600
    Cue Ball Wizard $950
    Stargate $2050
    Street Fighter 2 $1200
    Harlem Globetrotters $800
    Surf 'N Safari $1700

#133 5 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

This is coming from the guy with the 'secret stash' Cluster-F**k sale from his garage? Talk about calling the kettle black.
    My recollection of the other auction was that everyone who bought a machine was happy. The seller made a lot more money than he would have any other way. The auctioneer got paid. That sounds successful to me.
    Stop bitching and play some pinball!

Sounds like everyone should be fairly happy overall. Seller did OK, auctioneer does OK when seller does OK because he takes a percentage of the gross sales (typically about 25% but that varies), and some decent hammer prices (both good deals and overpriced) so average looks decent overall. I was a little worried for the seller so I am glad he made out OK overall.

As I have said all along - "no dog in the race" - but likely not the best way to sell machines. However my main interest in posting here was some free bumps for the seller hoping for a better sale for the seller. I don't doubt Jay (the auctioneer) has good intentions but I know he wouldn't be my first choice if I was selling a group of machines. But he is 1500 miles away from me anyway so it really doesn't matter!

As far as my "secret stash" most of the machines from "Phase One" of my warehouse deals are added to our collection or long gone. I have a few sold that I am still waiting for the buyers to come grab them but otherwise everything I had for sale from that deal is long gone. I am currently trying to save as many "parts machines" as I can from a couple other deals. Once I finish up with that stuff and get my van back from the shop I'll be working on "Phase 2" of my Virginia deal. Those machines will likely be at the York Show for sale this Fall (if I can get everything picked up in time). Otherwise that stuff will go to Allentown in the Spring.

I don't get the "calling the kettle black" comment. My goal is always to save as many machines as possible and get them to people who will do something with them. If I didn't get this stuff Lloyd (coinopwarehouse) would be picking it up and loading it in containers to ship overseas - I am trying to keep the stuff in the US for my neighbors to enjoy. I never worry about the "haters" - I am more concerned about keeping my friends & regular customers happy. They get it even when others don't!

Just got home from a 9 hour drive picking up a "junk" machine that will help me save another machine. That is what it is all about to me. As always - save as many as possible and what isn't worth saving is made into parts to save other machines. Nothing more & nothing less.

#134 5 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

As I have said all along - "no dog in the race" - but likely not the best way to sell machines. However my main interest in posting here was some free bumps for the seller hoping for a better sale for the seller. I don't doubt Jay (the auctioneer) has good intentions but I know he wouldn't be my first choice if I was selling a group of machines. But he is 1500 miles away from me anyway so it really doesn't matter!

What, pray tell, is the best way to sell a group of machines? The seller wanted to get good prices (good = as much as he could get), People came from all over. In four hours, the seller's pins were gone and he is sort of retired. I thought the auctioneer did a good job for the seller. I think the seller thought the auctioneer did a good job. The people who bought these machines were smiling.

So, if you have a "best" way to sell a group of machines fast and get decent money, let's hear it.

#135 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

What, pray tell, is the best way to sell a group of machines? The seller wanted to get good prices (good = as much as he could get), People came from all over. In four hours, the seller's pins were gone and he is sort of retired. I thought the auctioneer did a good job for the seller. I think the seller thought the auctioneer did a good job. The people who bought these machines were smiling.
    So, if you have a "best" way to sell a group of machines fast and get decent money, let's hear it.

Why not just a regular auction where it is clear exactly what you are bidding on? This style benefits mainly the seller and auctioneer.

#136 5 years ago

Star wars pin2k went for 2350 with the driver pcb and the light sabar loose on top of the playfield ouch.

#137 5 years ago

I ended up with the Xenon for $1400. Did I pay too much? Probably. Cab is decent and backglass is perfect. Game works as it should though there were a couple of "fixes" that I will need to re-fix.

Prices might have been a little high overall but mostly inline with reality. The pin section of the auction was done in about an hour and a half. Lots of remote bidding.

#138 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Factor in $400.00 shipping from Cali to the buyer's home in Oklahoma and $900.00 turns into $1300.00. And then you don't know what will be coming of of the truck. And you always have the unquantifiable hassle factors. The buyer, as he states, is happy and you weren't here so why are you worrying about it?

Quoted from Mikedenton49:

Ones mans trash is another's treasure I guess. Been looking for one of these for over a year. 900 would be a steal especially if it was in this ones condition. Its not an awesome theme except for to someone who likes it. The game itself is fun as hell. I'm a satisfied buyer. So there is that.

#139 5 years ago

That Big Hurt appeared to be in great shape and played well. While the theme doesn’t do anything for me, it’s a lot of pin for the money.

#140 5 years ago

Glad I did not go or bid remote.

I think based on prices, this seller did very well. A few below market avg but reality is that it could have been poor condition.
    The vast majority went way higher then I would have bid.

#141 5 years ago

Kinda proves what I've expected all along. The flow of too many new machines into the pipeline has driven down the auction prices of used pins. Expect it to follow suit with your CL sellers also. Used right now is just too damn expensive. But not for long!

#142 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chicoman:

Kinda proves what I've expected all along. The flow of too many new machines into the pipeline has driven down the auction prices of used pins. Expect it to follow suit with your CL sellers also. Used right now is just too damn expensive. But not for long!

Wat8 (resized).jpgWat8 (resized).jpg

#143 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chicoman:

curious which of these games seem low to you?

Most seem high to me personally.

#144 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Glad I did not go or bid remote.
    I think based on prices, this seller did very well. A few below market avg but reality is that it could have been poor condition.
    The vast majority went way higher then I would have bid.

This auction was probably not worth driving more than a few hours or so. That being said I thought it was fine and prices reflected condition (in most cases). Definitely no steals here but I think it was pretty fair. The group bidding was not my favorite but it could have been worse.

#145 5 years ago

Prices seemed decent, but not great, maybe even overpriced, especially for many games that don't even power up?

Auction fever is real, and most people wind up bidding/offering far more than they would in a one-on-one deal! There's the "I can't go home empty-handed" motivation, also the competitive need to "win" the auction. Bidders will often bid over the limits they set for themselves before the auction. Ask me how I know these things?

Some of the best advise my pappy ever gave me was "never be emotionally attached during a negotiation" - hard advise to follow at the auction sometimes.

#146 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinPilot:

Prices seemed decent, but not great, maybe even overpriced, especially for many games that don't even power up?
    Auction fever is real, and most people wind up bidding far more than they would offer in a one-on-one deal. They also feel the need to "win" the auction, and go over the limits they set for themselves before the auction. Ask me how I know these things?
    Some of the best advise my pappy ever gave me was "never be emotionally attached during a negotiation" - hard advise to follow at the auction sometimes.

I think some of these auctions also have the "potted in" feeling.

If you already drove 3hrs to the auction with the idea of getting a game, had high hopes of finding a deal, and got outbid on the first game you went for; then people want to go home with something. Already wasted the day and 6hr RT travel time, so you want to have a new game for the already committed effort.

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I think some of these auctions also have the "potted in" feeling.
    If you already drove 3hrs to the auction with the idea of getting a game, had high hopes of finding a deal, and got outbid on the first game you went for; then people want to go home with something. Already wasted the day and 6hr RT travel time, so you want to have a new game for the already committed effort.

No doubt! I was editing my comment to add this fact while you were pointing it out!

#148 5 years ago

One of the things I enjoyed about the auction was meeting and talking with other pinball enthusiasts. In the first batch of five machines, there was a collective gasp when the high bidder selected an Eight Ball Deluxe over the perceived front runner, Mario Brothers. Who knows what another guy’s grail pin might be? It was a drizzly, overcast day and I had nothing else planned. I must say that I thouroughly enjoyed my self.

#149 5 years ago
    Quoted from ViperJelly:

I ended up with the Xenon for $1400. Did I pay too much? Probably. Cab is decent and backglass is perfect. Game works as it should though there were a couple of "fixes" that I will need to re-fix.
    Prices might have been a little high overall but mostly inline with reality. The pin section of the auction was done in about an hour and a half. Lots of remote bidding.

Was thinking about stopping there on my way back through from Texas yesterday, but glad I did not....I would have bid that Xenon up for you.....lol

#150 5 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Talk about the wrong way to do an auction! If this sale is a flop for the seller I blame the auctioneer at this point. Pinsider's know he has an account and could have posted requested information by now. Originally I thought seller might be part of the problem but it is very apparent this auctioneer is clueless as to how to sell pinball machines.
    Best of luck to all! I think seller is going to need some.

Cyclopes sold for $5200...pretty sure the seller did just fine. lmfao...there were a lot of pins that sold too high IMO, but that one was on another planet.

There are 205 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-auction-in-wichita-ks-52018-70-pins-arcades/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.