Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by drypaint
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

27C746C8-2C7D-443F-AFF7-246F868F8738 (resized).jpeg
    2020-02-26 16.36.07 (resized).jpg
    2020-02-29 20.13.54 (resized).jpg
    2019-12-03 18.15.51 (resized).jpg
    2019-12-03 12.08.23 (resized).jpg
    2020-06-03 15.29.10 (resized).jpg
    2020-05-12 13.11.07 (resized).jpg
    2020-05-13 15.39.44 (resized).jpg
    A23D3CA5-EB47-4C27-8386-E2CF5126C2CE (resized).jpeg
    F78022C5-45FD-4A82-A808-8FB69AB9ED00 (resized).jpeg
    17319e74f47643d01d15bc5a24044b23aa6e746d (resized).jpg
    DSC00159 (resized).JPG
    #1 3 years ago

So I'm not really sure how to describe this, and this topic may have come up before, but here goes. I've noticed that over time, while watching restorations on pinside, and playing different machines on location, I'm beginning to really appreciate the art on older machines over the art on newer machines. Black Hole, Gorgar would be a couple good examples. Don't get me wrong, the newer titles are great to play, but the artwork just seems uninspired. There are exceptions of course, AFM, MB, TNG come to mind. Thoughts?

#2 3 years ago

I think the artwork on all eras of games is equally as good, it's just different for all eras. I love the old EM games and the 80's and 90's too but man look at games like Munsters (especially the black and white), IMDN, GB, MET, AS, BM66 and so many more.

Pinball is art and I hope companies never forget that aspect of pinball.

#3 3 years ago

Centaur and Fathom are probably my favorites in terms of playfield art if I had to pick what I think would be the peak of pinball art. Been enjoying most of the Zombie Yeti art so far and hope he continues, it'd be cool to see what he could do with more freedom in an unlicensed theme.

#4 3 years ago

Heck yes, artwork on older machines is stunning but you need to look at
    late 1930's thru 1950's to see the best. This is one reason I've been collecting
    them. If the pic comes through; Torchy (left), New Contact, Border Town
    and Formation on the right side.
    Steve

DSC00159 (resized).JPGDSC00159 (resized).JPG
    #5 3 years ago

In terms of art differences between newer and older pins, I think the biggest difference is the move from backglass to translite. The new art is amazing. It’s just not shown off in the best light with the use of a translite. That’s why, in my opinion, the art on older pins really shines. It’s the backglass that is the difference maker.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from curiusgeorge:

So I'm not really sure how to describe this, and this topic may have come up before, but here goes. I've noticed that over time, while watching restorations on pinside, and playing different machines on location, I'm beginning to really appreciate the art on older machines over the art on newer machines. Black Hole, Gorgar would be a couple good examples. Don't get me wrong, the newer titles are great to play, but the artwork just seems uninspired. There are exceptions of course, AFM, MB, TNG come to mind. Thoughts?

I love the art on a lot of these old machines. I think the early solid state era had the best artwork and artist. I have taken to collecting old backglasses to put hang on the wall along with playfields when I can find them. Really looking forward to picking up some pieces at the next show.

Hands down, Paragon is the most beautiful backglass and playfied ever made. I also really like the stencil on art of the era. Its drawing me in and I'm going to be hopefully getting my first pin from this era sometime soonish.

17319e74f47643d01d15bc5a24044b23aa6e746d (resized).jpg17319e74f47643d01d15bc5a24044b23aa6e746d (resized).jpg
    #7 3 years ago

I used to have a non-pinhead friend who would come with me to bars just to get a drink, and then examine the art on the machines while I played.

#8 3 years ago

Pinball art, in its unique 3d canvas, provides a snap shot of pop culture for the era in which it was produced. In my opinion, a pinball collection is at its heart a fine art collection, with the added benefit you get to play it instead of just view it (Although I must admit I sometimes turn on my pins just to sit with a cold one and enjoy my personnel art gallery.)

#9 3 years ago

Paragon, Centaur, Lost World, Space Invaders... definitely a trend for me

#10 3 years ago

+1, ReadyPO !

I appreciate the art of the machines as well and like the visual appeal of them - preferably turned on!

I also appreciate the art of the engineering that went into arcade games, whether they are EM or solid state. I have an old bowler and I marvel at how much it does with just relays and contacts. It is simply amazing and elegant!

They had to be attractive enough in art as well as game design for someone to put their money into them.

#11 3 years ago
    A23D3CA5-EB47-4C27-8386-E2CF5126C2CE (resized).jpegA23D3CA5-EB47-4C27-8386-E2CF5126C2CE (resized).jpegF78022C5-45FD-4A82-A808-8FB69AB9ED00 (resized).jpegF78022C5-45FD-4A82-A808-8FB69AB9ED00 (resized).jpeg
    #12 3 years ago

I could not agree more with this topic. That is why 3 years ago I opened a gallery, arcade, and custom frame shop called The Flipper Room. It is a place "Where pinball meets picture framing". We display our games in a setting that highlights or features the art of the machine. We work with artists from the pinball community and also local artists who create works that are inspired by pinball. Each year an artist in the pinball community is commissioned to create a limited release fine art print that we sell online and through the gallery. We see some of the coolest pieces of pinball history come through the frame shop that we get to frame for collectors to hang and enjoy.

2019-12-03 12.08.23 (resized).jpg2019-12-03 12.08.23 (resized).jpg2019-12-03 18.15.51 (resized).jpg2019-12-03 18.15.51 (resized).jpg2020-02-26 16.36.07 (resized).jpg2020-02-26 16.36.07 (resized).jpg2020-02-29 20.13.54 (resized).jpg2020-02-29 20.13.54 (resized).jpg2020-05-12 13.11.07 (resized).jpg2020-05-12 13.11.07 (resized).jpg2020-05-13 15.39.44 (resized).jpg2020-05-13 15.39.44 (resized).jpg2020-06-03 15.29.10 (resized).jpg2020-06-03 15.29.10 (resized).jpg
    #13 3 years ago
    Quoted from drypaint:

I could not agree more with this topic. That is why 3 years ago I opened a gallery, arcade, and custom frame shop called The Flipper Room. It is a place "Where pinball meets picture framing". We display our games in a setting that highlights or features the art of the machine. We work with artists from the pinball community and also local artists who create works that are inspired by pinball. Each year an artist in the pinball community is commissioned to create a limited release fine art print that we sell online and through the gallery. We see some of the coolest pieces of pinball history come through the frame shop that we get to frame for collectors to hang and enjoy.

COOL! Do you have a website?
    Steve

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

Steve

No kidding! I'd love to see more.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

Steve

Quoted from curiusgeorge:

No kidding! I'd love to see more.

https://theflipperroom.com/

#16 3 years ago

Ok, so I'm not crazy after all! I'm heading to Vegas next week, and a stop to the POF is planned so I can appreciate even more machines. I spent more time today thinking about the topic and have come to the conclusion that it's the painted/stenciled cabs that draw my eye first. Then the backglass and playfield. Is it crude compared to today's high definition printed art? Yep. But as someone that has no artistic talent with a brush/pencil/art medium, I can certainly appreciate someone else's work.

I also enjoy reading about restorations and how really nice they turn out, but I also like a machine that has a little wear, some scuff marks, adds character.

1 month later
    #17 3 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I love the art on a lot of these old machines. I think the early solid state era had the best artwork and artist. I have taken to collecting old backglasses to put hang on the wall along with playfields when I can find them. Really looking forward to picking up some pieces at the next show.
    Hands down, Paragon is the most beautiful backglass and playfied ever made. I also really like the stencil on art of the era. Its drawing me in and I'm going to be hopefully getting my first pin from this era sometime soonish. [quoted image]

Classic images

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from drypaint:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice concept!

#19 3 years ago

I feel the same way as some of you but have taken to collecting the actual artwork. Ie 80s/90s games started with actual handmade original artwork . I buy that whenever I can. Hasn’t been cheap but the pieces are incredible IMO. Here’s the Bride of pinbot painting which was a relatively recent addition I was excited about. I’m biased but I think it’s a breathtaking display of skill and wonderful subject matter all at once.

27C746C8-2C7D-443F-AFF7-246F868F8738 (resized).jpeg27C746C8-2C7D-443F-AFF7-246F868F8738 (resized).jpeg

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bronty:

I feel the same way as some of you but have taken to collecting the actual artwork. Ie 80s/90s games started with actual handmade original artwork . I buy that whenever I can. Hasn’t been cheap but the pieces are incredible IMO. Here’s the Bride of pinbot painting which was a relatively recent addition I was excited about. I’m biased but I think it’s a breathtaking display of skill and wonderful subject matter all at once.
    [quoted image]

Stunning. I've always loved this.

2 weeks later
    #21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bronty:

[quoted image]

Right on... Very cool. We also sell original pinball art in the gallery. It rotates and changes often. Nothing better than original art

#22 3 years ago

Thanks for answering. I missed all the comments after I posted...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-as-art-appreciation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.