(Topic ID: 181169)

Pinball Article in the New York Times Today...

By beelzeboob

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by chadderack
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

storm1 (resized).jpg
    Bobcobb (resized).jpg
    1880_Pierre_Auguste_Cot_-_The_Storm (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

This article was in the Times today, piggybacking on the CBS Sunday Morning story. My apologies to "Storm" and "Zen" if they're on here, but the article--for me, anyway--made pinball guys seem like complete dorks. It also makes it sound like the tournament at TPF is some national finals thing.

Anyway, since I now realize that having a cool single-word nom de plume for tournaments, I'd appreciate it if everybody just calls me Douchenozzle when I'm competing. It'll make me look like a chick magnet. Thanks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/12/nyregion/pinball-state-championship.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fnyregion&action=click&contentCollection=nyregion&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=5&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

#2 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

but the article--for me, anyway--made pinball guys seem like complete dorks.

I read it and didn't find this. What part made you think that?

#3 7 years ago

That's pretty typical of every tech article still. Particularly games. Try and find a serious article about eSports, or the DotA International, or League of Legends, etc. etc. I have to say though I didn't find this one to be particularly bad. I also love the fact that the word "wizard" was only used in the name "Wizard of Oz".

I always figure more exposure can't hurt. The people who assumed gamers of every kind are huge dorks will always assume that, and maybe some reasonable people will find it interesting and discover a new hobby!

#4 7 years ago

I thought the article was great. Well-written, no lazy obvious references to "Pinball Wizard," and does a good job of giving the reader an idea of what competitive pinball is like (which some may find "dorky.")

It also did a good job of describing the event, I feel like I was there!

A bunch of guys hanging out playing pinball and drinking? "Complete dorks?" That pretty much describes what people here do on a GOOD night so I'm not sure what's especially nerdy about it. Like really, what specifically set off your "dork alarm?"

Without a doubt one of the best press articles I've read on pinball. Most are absolutely awful, this one reflected some actual journalism.

#5 7 years ago

FAKE NEWS!

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Like really, what specifically set off your "dork alarm?"

Anybody who uses nicknames when competing or playing.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Anybody who uses nicknames when competing or playing.

OK Beelzebob, if that IS your real name.

Sean "The Storm" Grant uses that name in daily life, which is of course awesome. I think it's on his driver's license. And when I see Zen at a metal show I say "Hi Zen." That's what everybody calls him whether or not he's playing pinball.

I really can't believe a guy who is as into pinball as you wants to label anybody as "dorky." What do you think your neighbors, family and friends think of you?

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Right in the first paragraph.

Anyone that names themselves after a French painting by Cot, is by definition, a major dork.

1880_Pierre_Auguste_Cot_-_The_Storm (resized).jpg1880_Pierre_Auguste_Cot_-_The_Storm (resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I really can't believe a guy who is as into pinball as you wants to label anybody as "dorky." What do you think your neighbors, family and friends think of you?

That I'm a total nerd, geek, AND dork. And they're right. What's your point?

Again...I'm going by Douchenozzle now. WAY cooler.

#10 7 years ago

Every eSport I follow has players listed by nickname over real name. I can't see a problem with it.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Every eSport I follow has players listed by nickname over real name. I can't see a problem with it.

Oh, brother.

In a related story, I'm selling off my entire collection and getting out.

Sayonara.

#12 7 years ago

I only go by nick name, real life or pinball, I'm the Buz. 6'2, big beard,260 lbs, electrical lineman who climbs 200 ft towers and rides under helicopters by a 200 ft leash. And I am a supper nerd with 16 pins and some vids. I think most people think of me as that guy with all those pins, than nerd. Nerds are cool.

#13 7 years ago

Didn't The Big Bang Theory make being a nerd acceptable? (Or maybe even somewhat cool?)

(I wanted to assign myself a nickname, but all the good ones were already taken.)

#14 7 years ago

I remember when I went to my first competition I assumed everyone would have nicknames. There weren't many of us back then

"Like many of the players, Frederick Asher, known as Freddy,.." what a goddamn dork...these kids with their nicknames now

#15 7 years ago

The nicknames just added another element of fun and humor to keep the reader engaged. The article noted that pinball players come from various walks of life, many of them with very respectable and not necessarily geeky jobs. He did focus a lot on describing the various competitors and what they wore, drank, etc. but nothing wrong with that. Focusing purely on the technical aspects of pinball and the basic facts would have made it much less interesting for the average reader.

#16 7 years ago

Hey, look...I get it. But as much as people call me "Boob" here and in person, I'm not really sure I'd want them saying in an article that I go by Boob to my friends. And people that call me Boob are always eventually asked to just call me Randy. I've written for the Times; never did it occur to me to put Beelzeboob in the byline. It's just weird to me. Levi is Levi...I didn't call him CrazyLevi when I met him.

Okay, so I guess I'm the weird one. What else is new?

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Didn't The Big Bang Theory make being a nerd acceptable?

Just the opposite, it made nerds look stupid; so now all the smart outcasts want to be Bellas or Tonehangers.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hey, look...I get it. But as much as people call me "Boob" here and in person, I'm not really sure I'd want them saying in an article that I go by Boob to my friends. And people that call me Boob are always eventually asked to just call me Randy.

Jesus, Boob is much better than Randy...wtf. It's not our fault you picked a dumbass name

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Jesus, Boob is much better than Randy...wtf. It's not our fault you picked a dumbass name

watch it bobby!

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

watch it bobby!

You don't even have a name...just initials like some sort of molester.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Can I purchase your C37??

#22 7 years ago

Only the following people should be allowed to have nicknames:

1. Those under 20 years of age
    2. Those that are in the military
    3. Those that are in a (real) band
    4. Those who have a hard-to-pronounce name--where it is is easier to have a nickname than to explain how to pronounce it

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

http://comicsuclick.org/bloomcounty/2015/05/04

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Can I purchase your C37??

No. I just drove 1000 miles to pick it up. That being said, after I fully restore it, maybe, because it's just too damned easy (but fun!) but it won't be cheap. I'm trying to roll it to 300,000 at this point.

Besides, you're just kidding. You already owned one.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

My parents aren't from this country.

#27 7 years ago

Pinball players are dorks. Videogame players are dorks. Boardgame players are dorks. Who cares?

Nicknames are fine. People that DEMAND to be called by their nicknames are unbearable.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

Levi is Levi...I didn't call him CrazyLevi when I met him.

I'm very surprised you weren't forced to bow before him and kiss his ring.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Nicknames are fine. People that DEMAND to be called by their nicknames are unbearable.

The Maestro!

#29 7 years ago

That's a badass nickname AND a badass Beastie Boys song. I'm all for it!

#30 7 years ago

Bobcobb (resized).jpgBobcobb (resized).jpg

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

People that DEMAND to be called by their nicknames are unbearable.

I think this was my point all along. The article made it sound like that's what they preferred to go by. That's just ridiculous to me.

I can just hear my wife saying to me, "Hey, Douchenozzle...are you inviting Storm and Zen over for the Super Bowl party?"

Sounds ridiculous.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

Only the following people should be allowed to have nicknames:
    1. Those under 20 years of age
    2. Those that are in the military
    3. Those that are in a (real) band
    4. Those who have a hard-to-pronounce name--where it is is easier to have a nickname than to explain how to pronounce it

5. Strippers
    6. Pro athletes

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think this was my point all along. The article made it sound like that's what they preferred to go by. That's just ridiculous to me.
    I can just hear my wife saying to me, "Hey, Douchenozzle...are you inviting Storm and Zen over for the Super Bowl party?"
    Sounds ridiculous.

Its THE Storm. Get it right

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from smailskid:

Yeah his wife can't say "Hey Douchenozzle, I hear Storm is coming."
    Takes all the poetry out of it.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from smailskid:

Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah his wife can't say "Hey Douchenozzle, I hear Storm is coming."
    Takes all the poetry out of it.

Well, that makes all the difference then. That's WAY cooler.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from smailskid:

I get it.

storm1 (resized).jpgstorm1 (resized).jpg

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Oh, brother.
    Sayonara.

How much for your Funhouse?

#38 7 years ago

Bonus points to anyone that can name the game being played in the first picture that's in the background behind woz - by the leg, edge of backbox, and anything else showing

#39 7 years ago

Spiderman!!

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

5. Strippers
    6. Pro athletes

Agreed.

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Besides, you're just kidding. You already owned one.

I know....and I want one back.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

It also makes it sound like the tournament at TPF is some national finals thing.

Just to clarify: the "national finals thing" is just that -- IFPA Nationals. The NY Times article was spot on, and even took the time to include the correct link to the tourney listing from the IFPA website.

TPF is the following week, is not the IFPA nationals, and isn't mentioned in the article.
    They do have the connection of both being in the greater DFW area during the month of March. Definitely not the same tourney.
    Hope to see you at TPF, Beelzeboob. Only 38 more days!!

#43 7 years ago

And my hats off to Mr. Poverelli for choice of beverage: whiskey definitely over Red Bull for playing pinball.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

Just to clarify: the "national finals thing" is just that -- IFPA Nationals. The NY Times article was spot on, and even took the time to include the correct link to the tourney listing from the IFPA website.
    TPF is the following week, is not the IFPA nationals, and isn't mentioned in the article.
    They do have the connection of both being in the greater DFW area during the month of March. Definitely not the same tourney.
    Hope to see you at TPF, Beelzeboob. Only 38 more days!!

Thanks for the clarification. Sadly, I'm not attending TPF this year. I had only a few vacation days left to burn, and it was a choice between TPF or driving to Canada to get a C37. Getting a machine always trumps a show! I plan to be there next year, and will be there in spirit, following Labnip's ridiculously detailed photo montage.

#45 7 years ago

Zen is a great guy, and a superb pinballer. FYI

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

Zen is a great guy, and a superb pinballer. FYI

I know. And everybody calls him "zen." His last name is "Zendejas" for Christ sake. This nickname complaint is beyond moronic.

Sounds to me like some bitches is jelly they aren't getting quotes in the NY TImes yo!

#47 7 years ago

Post deleted.

I should know enough now not to get suckered.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This nickname complaint is beyond moronic.

I hate nicknames.

Everyone over the age of 15 should be required to use their full name at all times.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I hate nicknames.
    Everyone over the age of 15 should be required to use their full name at all times.

Agreed, Vid

Chad P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-article-in-the-new-york-times-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.