(Topic ID: 141992)

Pinball Arcade vs. Visual Pinball

By mrgregb123

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

For those of you that have played around with both, what are you thoughts on pinball arcade vs. visual pinball? Have you played one but not the other? What do you like/dislike about either platform?

My thoughts -

Pinball Arcade
    - Super easy to use and obtain new tables
    - Works on most devices out of the box (some bugs once in a while like the super-speed bug)
    - Largest collection of games available and new ones keep coming. Will be getting Stern titles soon.
    - Pricey. At least for mobile platforms and the quality of the tables.
    - Poor physics. Odd bounces and some shots are impossible unlike the real-life version of the game.
    - Some features left out entirely or partially (flashlamps being the most obvious).
    - Some of the games are much easier than their real-life counterparts. I've gotten Monsters of Rock in 6 of the 7 games I've played MB. Which isn't right.

Visual Pinball
    - It's free.
    - Requires a bit of tinkering and downloading/copying multiples files to the appropriate folders.
    - Many of the most popular tables are of significantly better quality than Pinball Arcade. MM, MB, BoP, JY, and T2 are incredibly well done. The fact that folks recreated these for free at this quality is just incredible. Most of the good tables scale to 4K well and look absolutely gorgeous on a 4K desktop monitor. (I play on my PC rather than a standalone virtual pinball machine setup)
    - Higher quality sound.
    - Some lesser quality tables have significant bugs that make them unplayable (ST: TNG).
    - The physics for most games is spot on. Higher frame rate and the ball reacts how you expect it.
    - Not many new titles being done.

Love to hear your thoughts and feel free to mention other virtual pinball solutions (Future Pinball, etc.) and how they compare.

#2 8 years ago

Way prefer Pinball Arcade on the Ipad. Virtual Pin is easily too much of a pain in the ass to get setup with all the different plug ins and table versions. $4.99 a table and can take anywhere.

#3 8 years ago

Visual pin is way better, but the setup is a pain to do. There's a steep learning curve to get into it.

Pinball arcade is very user friendly, but until there's proper cabinet support I don't have much interest in it. (Although it's very fun on the iPad)

Future pin looks interesting with BAM set up, although I have no experience with this.

I just sold my virtual pin to help fund GoT, It's was very fun to build, own and play but the software is nowhere up to my liking yet. There needs to be cheap 42"-46" 4K tvs for cabinet builds. There needs to be simple to install software with a more easy to use downloading system for new tables, and there needs to be better global default settings between tables so that they all play alike. I plan to build anothe vp cabinet, but probably not for another 5 years

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-arcade-vs-visual-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.