Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 161 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Bendit
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170215_084148 (resized).jpg
    20170210_135652 (resized).jpg
    20170213_192032 (resized).jpg
    20170224_184930-1 (resized).jpg
    20170224_185010-1 (resized).jpg
    20170224_185028-1 (resized).jpg
    20170224_185107 (resized).jpg
    20170224_185052 (resized).jpg
    20170224_185704-1 (resized).jpg
    20170224_185421-1 (resized).jpg
    Crying Jordan (resized).jpg
    There-Is-No-Substitute (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 4.05.44 PM (resized).png
    Rage (resized).jpg
    You_Doodle_2017-01-10T19_59_47Z (resized).jpg
    You_Doodle_2017-01-10T19_59_10Z (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atreyu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#79 8 years ago

Levi, that was amazing.

Regarding TPA, coming from Appleton, WI, we really didn't have any arcades still running with pinball in the area (that I knew of). My dad and I would compete in TPA during the tournaments and I was addicted. Then...

...I moved to Seattle. After being able to regularly play at a local arcade (Another Castle Arcade Edition) I have quickly given up on most of my TPA playing. I hate that my dad (still back in WI) has nobody to play with anymore, but now that I have the real thing, it's tough to justify going back.

I've realized that TPA is a great approximation of pinball. I learned tons of tables rulesets inside and out and got to appreciate the music, callouts, and artwork of the games in the comfort of my own home. Since playing IRL, I realized the nuance of effective nudging, live and drop catches, post passing, tip passes etc. that cannot be taught in TPA. I dare someone to show me a consistent cradle separation during multiball in TPA. You also can't account for the randomness of weird things like air balls and machine malfunctions when playing virtually.

Bottom line: I love TPA. It got me into pinball in the first place and led me into playing competitively IRL. For a relatively low cost, you can experience about 70% of what these real tables have to offer and play games that I hope to own one day, but probably never will (I'm looking at you AFM, MB, MM etc...) I have had very few issues (glitches) with it, and I admire Farsight for what they have accomplished. That being said, I'm gonna go play at the Castle tonight

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atreyu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-arcade-vs-real-pinball?tu=atreyu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.