4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 161 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Bendit
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 34 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170215_084148 (resized).jpg
    20170210_135652 (resized).jpg
    20170213_192032 (resized).jpg
    20170224_184930-1 (resized).jpg
    20170224_185010-1 (resized).jpg
    20170224_185028-1 (resized).jpg
    20170224_185107 (resized).jpg
    20170224_185052 (resized).jpg
    20170224_185704-1 (resized).jpg
    20170224_185421-1 (resized).jpg
    Crying Jordan (resized).jpg
    There-Is-No-Substitute (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 4.05.44 PM (resized).png
    Rage (resized).jpg
    You_Doodle_2017-01-10T19_59_47Z (resized).jpg
    You_Doodle_2017-01-10T19_59_10Z (resized).jpg

There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 4 years ago

It teaches you the real life shots and rules. I own T2, played it on TPA and gotten roughly an 800 mil score. I can only get roughly 250 mil IRL. I agree that the nudging and such that you couldnt get away with IRL makes a huge difference virtually. It's great to have on the go or while you're in dispose.

#52 4 years ago

When I had a PS3, it was fun to fire up Medieval Madness and listen to the call-outs while I psyched myself for the long bike ride out to Hopkins to play the real physical game.

It sucks that dumb licensing issues still keeps the game off of the XBOX 360.

The tablet versions never felt as good to me.

I think Farsight did a decent job of creating a virtual pinball simulator that was better than nothing.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from OrdealByFire:

Season One has 22 tables for $30. It's a great price even if you hate the game.

Agreed! There is a sale on Season One and Two right now and if you are new to the game then these packs are amazing deals. They contain most of the best tables TBA has to offer.

I've gone off TBA a bit the last couple of seasons. It got me into real pinball to start with but now I struggle to get the lack of realism.

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from guyincognito:

It sucks that dumb licensing issues still keeps the game off of the XBOX 360.

They fixed that a couple of months ago. Its not as current as the Android/IOS/PC versions, but its available again and updated all the way to Addams Family.

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

Agreed! There is a sale on Season One and Two right now and if you are new to the game then these packs are amazing deals. They contain most of the best tables TBA has to offer.
    I've gone off TBA a bit the last couple of seasons. It got me into real pinball to start with but now I struggle to get the lack of realism.

Right now, season one is FIFTEEN BUCKS for 22 tables for the next month. Season two is also fifteen, and I'll be getting it. Great timing to have a sale, I say.

#56 4 years ago

Season One has 22 tables for $30. It's a great price even if you hate the game.

Are the sale prices for PS4 versions currently listed on the Playstation store? I went to that site through my web browser rather than through my PS4 and the season 1 and 2 prices weren't sales prices, even though the PS3/PS4 sale is supposed to start today.

#57 4 years ago

TPA is what got me back into pinball. well, more accurately it was TPA's predecessor, Pinball Hall of Fame for the Wii. I had both "The Williams Collection" and "The Gottlieb Collection", the tables from which all eventually made their way into TPA (Jive Time is the only exception!). The "hall of fame" games were the kindling, but TPA is what fanned those flames into an unquenchable wildfire. a real-life physical collection had to follow!

#58 4 years ago

I think the wrong question is posed here. Anytime you compare 'the real thing' ca an imitation inevitably there will be descrepencies and bias towards the real thing. You can't replace real pinball with the arcade version. Can you learn the rules, enjoy the soundtracks and call outs you often hardly hear on location and get a general feel for what the real thing is like? Yes! It's not a substitute, but it's still worth the money if you are looking for those things or a way to still enjoy sone pinball on the fly

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I think the wrong question is posed here. Anytime you compare 'the real thing' ca an imitation inevitably there will be descrepencies and bias towards the real thing. You can't replace real pinball with the arcade version. Can you learn the rules, enjoy the soundtracks and call outs you often hardly hear on location and get a general feel for what the real thing is like? Yes! It's not a substitute, but it's still worth the money if you are looking for those things or a way to still enjoy sone pinball on the fly

and.... PERIOD! Again, 'nuff said!

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People I know and trust keep mentioning it and it disgusts me. One guy was bragging about how his girlfriend got 10 billion on AFM or something I was all "no shit, really?" And he says "yeah, on pinball arcade!!!!"
    We are no longer friends.

Lol.

TPA is enjoyable, but as said by others - nothing like the real thing. Great for learning rules, and (sorta) experiencing tables that you may never otherwise get to play.

A personal favorite Farsight glitch.

#61 4 years ago

TPA was what rekindled my love for pinball.

Is it a replacement for the real thing? Never.

But it's helped me learn the rules and broadened my list of tables to find and play in real life.

#62 4 years ago

My wife decided we should have "a" pinball machine after playing TOTAN on the ps3. Look at how that worked out, lol.

p.s. Does anybody know where I can find a rough beater TOTAN project?

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

the tables from which all eventually made their way into TPA (Jive Time is the only exception!).

Not true. Sorcerer was in the WHoF and has never made it to TPA.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

TPA is what got me back into pinball. well, more accurately it was TPA's predecessor, Pinball Hall of Fame for the Wii. I had both "The Williams Collection" and "The Gottlieb Collection", the tables from which all eventually made their way into TPA (Jive Time is the only exception!). The "hall of fame" games were the kindling, but TPA is what fanned those flames into an unquenchable wildfire. a real-life physical collection had to follow!

That's one hell of a testimonial! Good for you Pez!

Having talked to the developers about their goals/mission to reproduce all of the best pinball tables, I think they would be very happy to hear this.

Now...time for them to do some CapCom tables (BBB, Kingpin, Breakshot)!

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from raisindot:

Are the sale prices for PS4 versions currently listed on the Playstation store? I went to that site through my web browser rather than through my PS4 and the season 1 and 2 prices weren't sales prices, even though the PS3/PS4 sale is supposed to start today.

There are two versions of season one for some reason... one for $30, another that says $15 (Discounted). For some reason season two isn't up yet, and I'm impatiently waiting.

#66 4 years ago

There are two versions of season one for some reason... one for $30, another that says $15 (Discounted). For some reason season two isn't up yet, and I'm impatiently waiting.

It's there for me.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/238272/ Season Two

http://store.steampowered.com/app/238273/ Season Two Pro

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Wow, very much what happened with me as well. Had a friend from A/V forums (he still posts here) light the fire a bit by mentioning he was looking for a pinball machine, which got me to buy the PHoF for the PS3. That really got me to the point where I knew I wanted a real machine. MM was very addicting on PHoF. When I got my first real pin (Wh20) I was hooked.

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

TPA is what got me back into pinball.

Quoted from RobT:

Wow, very much what happened with me as well.

Here lies the value of the pinball based video games. They are a gateway to the real machines. I really believe it plays a big part in the resurgence in pinball as you see less and less real machines in the wild.

#70 4 years ago

I am seriously bummed that the sale still isn't showing up on PS4 and it's been a couple days now... I asked FarSight about it and haven't gotten a response (I should be asking Sony).

I really want season two, but I'm not so impatient that I'd spend $15 more for it right now. JEALOUS OF YOU STEAM USERS.

#71 4 years ago

I am seriously bummed that the sale still isn't showing up on PS4 and it's been a couple days now... I asked FarSight about it and haven't gotten a response (I should be asking Sony).
    I really want season two, but I'm not so impatient that I'd spend $15 more for it right now. JEALOUS OF YOU STEAM USERS.

Take that frustration in on some location pinball dude!!

#72 4 years ago

The newsletter did say 'stay tuned' for Sony and Xbox platforms. No expectation of when the sale will appear unfortunately!

#73 4 years ago

Season One Bundle (21 Tables) - $14.99
    Season One Pro Bundle - $19.99
    Season One Pro Upgrade - $4.99
    Season Two Bundle (19 Tables) -$14.99
    Season Two Pro Bundle - $19.99
    Season Two Pro Upgrade - $4.99

SALE DATES

iOS & Android (Google Play, Amazon & OUYA) - 7/24/15 - 8/28/15
    Steam - 7/25/15 - 8/08/15
    **PS4, PS3 & Vita - 7/29/15 - 8/28/15**
    PS4, PS3 & Vita Europe - Stay tuned
    Xbox One & Xbox 360 - Stay tuned

I messaged them and they said they know about it, but didn't give a timeframe.

#74 4 years ago

Sale is up on PSN for anybody interested. Just downloaded Season Two and am going to play it a little bit now. It's really going to be hard to justify $30 for 10 tables in three or four at this point though.

1 week later
    #75 4 years ago

Season One Bundle (21 Tables) - $14.99
    Season One Pro Bundle - $19.99
    Season One Pro Upgrade - $4.99
    Season Two Bundle (19 Tables) -$14.99
    Season Two Pro Bundle - $19.99
    Season Two Pro Upgrade - $4.99
    SALE DATES
    iOS & Android (Google Play, Amazon & OUYA) - 7/24/15 - 8/28/15
    Steam - 7/25/15 - 8/08/15
    **PS4, PS3 & Vita - 7/29/15 - 8/28/15**
    PS4, PS3 & Vita Europe - Stay tuned
    Xbox One & Xbox 360 - Stay tuned
    I messaged them and they said they know about it, but didn't give a timeframe.

I have personally spent over $120 on all seasons and purchased all tables for the xbox one. I even own a few seasons on steam. One thing I will say is that the support for the Xbox live version is absolutely horrible. For the last three months I haven't been able to save a single high score, view the leader boards, or complete challenges. It's completely busted and they really don't seem to give two shits about it. Which is fine because I doubt I'll spend another dime on it. Maybe when they get enough developers to support all the platforms they're pushing this out to I might revisit it again.

All I'll say about the game is that other then the fact they're using real tables, sounds, etc. it's nothing close to the real thing. They really need to work on the physics and flipper strength. When I play an old EM it shouldn't have the same flipper strength as a WPC95 game not to mention everything is very calculated and consistent eliminating the randomness and pinball like aspects when playing for real. It's kind of like when you see those digital pinball machines trying to emulate the real deal that maybe three guys at the expo are playing over in the corner with their faces covered. Yeah those disgraceful things... they just don't do the game justice when you get to experience them in the flesh. All in all TPA is a good thing but I take it with a grain of salt. It's pushed me to get out there and find games in the wild to really get a chance to experience them for real. I'm not trying to take anything away from TPA I think it's giving pinball more exposure than what we've seen in the past. Gotta get out there and find them....part of the fun is the hunt!

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballwiz45b:

All I'm hoping is that my practicing on the computer will pay off at ReplayFX. Looking forward to playing machines I missed out on in the past. Dracula, Road Show, Demolition Man, and Monster Bash, I'm looking at you.

So, did all of your video pinball practice pay off at ReplayFX?

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bwilson:

For the last three months I haven't been able to save a single high score, view the leader boards, or complete challenges. It's completely busted and they really don't seem to give two shits about it. Which is fine because I doubt I'll spend another dime on it. Maybe when they get enough developers to support all the platforms they're pushing this out to I might revisit it again.
    All I'll say about the game is that other then the fact they're using real tables, sounds, etc. it's nothing close to the real thing. They really need to work on the physics and flipper strength. When I play an old EM it shouldn't have the same flipper strength as a WPC95 game not to mention everything is very calculated and consistent eliminating the randomness and pinball like aspects when playing for real.

I promise it's not just the Xbox version. Every version of TPA is messed up in its own special way. I just pretend it's an open source project made by some dedicated guys in their basement. That way it seems REALLY impressive!

#78 4 years ago

video game pinball is a crime against humanity. The best one is still this:

video_pinball.png

#79 4 years ago

Levi, that was amazing.

Regarding TPA, coming from Appleton, WI, we really didn't have any arcades still running with pinball in the area (that I knew of). My dad and I would compete in TPA during the tournaments and I was addicted. Then...

...I moved to Seattle. After being able to regularly play at a local arcade (Another Castle Arcade Edition) I have quickly given up on most of my TPA playing. I hate that my dad (still back in WI) has nobody to play with anymore, but now that I have the real thing, it's tough to justify going back.

I've realized that TPA is a great approximation of pinball. I learned tons of tables rulesets inside and out and got to appreciate the music, callouts, and artwork of the games in the comfort of my own home. Since playing IRL, I realized the nuance of effective nudging, live and drop catches, post passing, tip passes etc. that cannot be taught in TPA. I dare someone to show me a consistent cradle separation during multiball in TPA. You also can't account for the randomness of weird things like air balls and machine malfunctions when playing virtually.

Bottom line: I love TPA. It got me into pinball in the first place and led me into playing competitively IRL. For a relatively low cost, you can experience about 70% of what these real tables have to offer and play games that I hope to own one day, but probably never will (I'm looking at you AFM, MB, MM etc...) I have had very few issues (glitches) with it, and I admire Farsight for what they have accomplished. That being said, I'm gonna go play at the Castle tonight

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So, did all of your video pinball practice pay off at ReplayFX?

Got a few high scores; indeed it was worth it.

20150801_093201.jpg

20150801_093948.jpg

20150801_100423.jpg

20150801_105036.jpg

20150801_132357.jpg

20150801_133834.jpg

20150801_140008.jpg

20150801_141734.jpg

#81 4 years ago

And some more high scores:

20150801_143529.jpg

20150801_145333.jpg

20150801_154814.jpg

20150801_155145.jpg

20150801_160152.jpg

20150801_162114.jpg

3 weeks later
    #82 4 years ago

I feel kind of silly that I forgot about putting my TV in "game mode" when I got my XBone. It had been a couple of years since I had a console. Anyway, this takes away 90% of the flipper delay on the pinball games and makes them a whole lot more tolerable. It's still not nearly as good as the real thing, but at least I can enjoy some of the Star Wars games I bought for PinballFX now!

Reminder to everyone: PUT YOUR TV ON GAME MODE!!!

#83 4 years ago

Visual pinball is better then Pinball arcade.

It has more rom ver's, full settings and dips for all games.

Less table bugs.

more tables

non rom based tables.

custom tables that are not from real games.

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Visual pinball is better then Pinball arcade.
    It has more rom ver's, full settings and dips for all games.
    Less table bugs.
    more tables
    non rom based tables.
    custom tables that are not from real games.

I wouldn't say completely. Future Pinball with it's Physics 2.7 addition and BAM is almost just as good now in comparison to Visual Pinball. Depends on the table dev / recreation as well code wise.

http://speak1970.wix.com/slamspinballemporium

Slamtilt's original tables and recreations are awesome. In particular, Aliens Legacy and his original Back to the Future. Plus it uses real video clips and sound bites from the movies.

#85 4 years ago

They compliment each other very well, and should not be compared to each other.
    PA for rules and to weather you like the game or not. ( also a cheap way to play them )
    Real pinball to implement strategy and physics. ( When you are ready to lay down cold hard cash )

1 year later
    #86 2 years ago

Hope you guys don't mind the bump and noob question. I have started getting interested in pinball and have been using PA to test out tables to try and decide what tables I might be interested in besides Addams which is my #1 want. Anyways, I was wondering what you guys thought of the accuracy of medieval madness on PA? I want to love it as the voice acting is great but I am finding the left ramp aggravating as it results in a lot of drained balls (heh) and also the open middle of the play field tends to do the same .. I shoot at the castle enough times and sooner or later something goes right down the middle. Does that happen in real life? As far as PA goes I am finding I prefer Attack From Mars which seems very similar (six spaceships to smash instead of six castles) only with less 'cheap' deaths/drains.

Thoughts? I know MM is the top rated table so I'm not sure if the issues I'm noting are just personal preferences on my part or if MM plays differently in real life. Any thoughts welcome

#87 2 years ago

bronty there is just something enough "off" about TPA that has everyone on some championship pro scoring when they play. It's happened to me, it's happened to you, it's happened to everyone I've ever talked to.

I took my nephew out to play some pins a few days ago. He's a huge fan of MM as well, and it was the first time he got his hands on a real one. His high IRL after an afternoon of playing was 70m. His high on TPA is 200m. He still had an absolute blast though!

So I know this is a terrible answer to your dilemma but... find one IRL. Play it. See if you like it as much. And in the meantime, keep playing whatever you can, virtually or in reality, and see what's all out there. Expand your mind.

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

bronty there is just something enough "off" about TPA that has everyone on some championship pro scoring when they play. It's happened to me, it's happened to you, it's happened to everyone I've ever talked to.
    I took my nephew out to play some pins a few days ago. He's a huge fan of MM as well, and it was the first time he got his hands on a real one. His high IRL after an afternoon of playing was 70m. His high on TPA is 200m. He still had an absolute blast though!
    So I know this is a terrible answer to your dilemma but... find one IRL. Play it. See if you like it as much. And in the meantime, keep playing whatever you can, virtually or in reality, and see what's all out there. Expand your mind.

Thanks, I do for sure plan on doing that, and have located one to play in real life. The trouble is just getting time away from work and family to go out and do it... even if i manage to get out for a whole afternoon (which is kind of a big deal in terms of blowing off commitments) I'll only be able to test it a bit, you know? The thing that is sweet about PA is that any time I have 20 minutes free between other things I can pop it open on the phone and give a table a go! Its kinda like stepping out to a backyard putting green for 10 minutes instead of playing an 18 hole golf course! The one is just so much easier to squeeze in time wise that I was hoping to get some thoughts from more experienced members with respect to MM in particular. But I hear you, nothing will replace real play on real tables, I'm sure!

Have you played both AFM and MM? I'm curious as to whether my observation (based on PA) re fewer cheap drain balls in AFM is true in your opinion, just on a relative basis, IRL. It could just be the way I play as well I guess.

#89 2 years ago

In general, games are MUCH harder in real life than on TPA.

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

As mentioned in DefaultGen's post, balls flying off the table, balls getting stuck in infinite loops, etc.
    Here's one of my personal favorites. Also this isn't some crazy freak occurrence, I've had it happen multiple times.
    ยป YouTube video
    EDIT: I'm referring to the crazy audio glitch that happens towards the end of the video. The thing with having to "Call Attendent" is a common and less exciting glitch

Jesus, volume warning!

#91 2 years ago

I can't stand PA with it's unrealistic physics. I played it a few times but after 5min play i have to stop. Physics are just not right for me. It doesn't feel as i would play the real thing. Also graphics are far behind today's standard of other PC games, but worse are the physics. The best pinball game for the PC is Time Shock. That game has awesome graphics and plays like a real pinball machine in my opinion.

#92 2 years ago

By the way, I'm a dirty pirate in this situation. I buy everything else (ESPECIALLY music, I love to support artists, big or small) besides streaming the occasional movie I'm never going to watch twice but I can't justify spending so much money on this - this game gets EXPENSIVE! If they released it at a base price and then released more and more tables for free like pretty much any other game (okay, there's a lot of paid-DLC games these days, but usually at less of a cost), then I would bite. Hell, at least do it like the PS2 days and release some for one game, and then make a sequel or something. Both with a decent honest amount of games on it. Not saying anybody else do it, but that's my take on it.

It's a weird thing, we're paying people who make this game, who are paying people who own the rights to these games, who likely had no position in the pinball businesses when they were in operation, who likely aren't paying any of the original designers, either because they're just not getting any more royalties or because they've been dead for 30 years. Now, I'm not one who can dictate who should and shouldn't get paid for any amount of work, but I don't lose sleep over it - I wouldn't be a customer regardless if it was available through other means or not.

It's a glorified emulator (it literally emulates the factory code, and they link their software up to this and 3D model the playfield, which is where their "job" comes in - and the EMs are coded from scratch which is fairly easy to do as a developer myself), and of course they're going to charge for their work, I just can't justify it. Especially when they want people to pay "special guy" pricing to access one table's operator settings.

Visual Pinball isn't as polished but it's made by pinball fans, includes nearly EVERY game ever invented prior to a certain year, and gives full access to the operator menus - and it's completely 100% free.

#93 2 years ago

Lest we forget (The points are cheated in this screenshot btw)

hqdefault (7) (resized).jpg

#94 2 years ago

TPA is horrible. I don't even find it fun, in any way. The guys who develop Visual Pinball do the fake pinball thing a whole lot better. I had bought the first two seasons, but lately, they've been releasing garbage, and it's expensive garbage at that. Wasn't that stink-fest Bone Busters just released for 5 dollars? Ohhhhh My......

#95 2 years ago

Forget about TPA for me its all Pin FX2, the Star Wars tables and Marvel tables etc. with the all the extras that should come with virtual pinball, they have some seriously deep rule sets and of course its not as good as real pinball not even close but its not trying to be. The new Doom table is greatness.

#96 2 years ago

Did TPA ever release that fully brand new table they were planning on?

#97 2 years ago

What annoys me most about fake pinball is people who take screenshots and post them in the high score section of pinside and pindigo.

#98 2 years ago

Real pinball rules. Video game pinball is lame.

#99 2 years ago

Sims of real life tables help you learn their rules.

PinballFX tables are fun to play because of how impossible the things would be in real life (or, how intriguing they might be to actually MAKE in real life)

Alien Crush and Devils Crush were rad, and if you know these games,

Sims of real life tables by companies like Zaccaria are the only way most of us will ever see these tables.

Sonic Pinball sucked, but it had Blast Processing.

Pokemon Pinball for the Gameboy is surprisingly fun

So is Metroid Pinball for the DS

Rollers of the Realm is like a weird pinRPG, what's not to love?

You can either be a closed minded REAL BRAH PINBALL BRAH like so many of the manchildren on here (hi crazylevi!) or you can open your mind and appreciate all the different ways to flip there are out there.

#100 2 years ago

I'm not sure I'm experienced enough in all this to chime but yeah I agree - I mean... for 10 bucks or whatever I can get the feel of a table that would costs thousands to purchase and that may not be available locally, what's not to like.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 50.00
    Lighting - Led
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 10,999.00
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Playfield - Plastics
    Mod Magic!
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 38.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 234.99
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside