(Topic ID: 42312)

Pinball / Arcade Tournament Manager Application v1.7.1!

By TheNoTrashCougar

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thenotrashcougar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Hey Everyone,
    I just wanted to throw it out there that I released the latest version of my Tournament Manager software for Windows. This has a number of new improvements and requests.

More info here: http://scottdanesi.com/WP/?page_id=161

I will try and answer questions about it in this thread, but I guarantee nothing.

Thanks,
    --Scott

Post edited by TheNoTrashCougar : Updated Verison Number

1 week later
    #2 11 years ago

As a quick update, I have been working like crazy on this latest version that includes the ability to display Tournament Results to classic BetaBrite LED signs. From what I am able to test, it works great! Let me know what you guys think.

--Scott

#4 11 years ago

Hey Snow,
    Thank you very much for the feedback.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Just curious, is there anyway to build in a feature that makes sure I can not accidentally enter in a lower score than what a player has already recorded? I know the version I am currently using will allow me to override a previous higher score by entering a new lower score for that player/game.

What I can do for this is have the system send a warning that the score being submitted is lower than the score that was there previously. The issue I see with this is that it may annoy the general audience for this application. I have thought about the idea of sending a warning if you are about to overwrite a score and ask for verification. This would be about as far as I would go with it. I am trying to keep it as generic as possible for a wider audience.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I was also thinking it would be a sweet thing to have this software built into an application for smart devices. I could then set up my touney helpers with enabeled devices and instead of them recording on paper and then handing off to the head offcial to then manual enter on the cpu, they could just enter scores as they watch over games. I know that would obviously be way more sophisticated and require more tech, but I figured it was worth sharing the idea...

This is something I have given much thought to. The only option that I could think of was to write-back to a database on one of my servers. This would require me to build apps for multiple device platforms as well as pay for database bandwidth, which is not really feasible for a free application. This can also present security issues for IFPA tournaments. You would not want the possibility of someone getting in and changing scores. The way that I have the system setup now, the Tournament administrator can lock the computer through Windows to protect unwanted score entry. Since the data for the tournament is stored on the local machine, there is minimal risk for tampering.

I will continue to think about this in the future and see what I can do. I may be able to set something up that allows multiple computers to enter scores to one tournament, but that is not on the radar at the moment.

Thanks again,
    --Scott

#7 11 years ago

Hey Snow,
    I just put the Lower Score warning on my to-do list.

You know in the tools menu, there is an option to generate a player score sheet. This will generate a printable document that the player can write all their scores on in case there is a discrepancy. They are organized by machine. Have you used this feature?

--Scott

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from MRG:

I have used Scott software and it is a must for anyone having a tounament. lots of options and dual screen output too. Very cool.
    Thanks Scott for all the hard work.

No problem Greg. I am glad people are actually using it. I will be putting together some proper documentation for it soon so that people know how to use all of its cool features.

If you guys have any more questions about it let me know. Thanks,

--Scott

#14 11 years ago

Thanks Snow,
    Keep the ideas coming and I will try to accommodate.

--Scott

#19 11 years ago

I have been getting a great amount of feedback on the application so I decided to release a minor update (v1.6.1).

Some of the changes are below:

Minor Bug Fixes
    Options Menu Layout changed to be more organized
    BetaBrite Functionality Updates
    Warning system to let Tournament administrators know that they are overwriting a score

Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you

#21 11 years ago

Hey Guys,
    I just created a mailing list on my site to subscribe to future Tournament Manager Applciation updates.

http://eepurl.com/wSHdf

This way I can ensure you guys are aware of the latest version before running your tournaments. I will only send emails when a new stable version is uploaded. Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you,
    --Scott

#27 11 years ago

Hey Jonny,
    Yeah this happens from time to time if you do not have admin rights on your machine. Basically, it is trying to create the Tournament back-end file and is not able to. This can happen in Windows 7 and Windows 8. If you run the application as administrator, it will solve this issue.

I am looking into ways to solve this at the moment.

Thanks for the feedback,
    --Scott

#29 11 years ago

You are correct Jonny. That is going to be the next move to bypass that UAC feature in Windows 7. The problem with that is that it still needs to write to a log file in the Program Files Directory. I may have to relocate that as well. Thanks,
    --Scott

#30 11 years ago

Arcade Tournament Manager Application v1.6.3 is up!

1 week later
    #31 11 years ago

Hey Everyone,
    Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but I have good news. The newest version is here! Version 1.7.0 is a pretty big release. We have added many new features and fixed all of the bugs that have been reported. This version is solid, but we would still love to hear your feedback on new features, enhancements, and bugs that you may find.

New Features
    • Bug Fixes
    • Options section overhaul (again, sorry)
    • Ability to display marquee data by overall player rank or current leaders of each machine/event
    • Ability to choose how many positions to show in the marquee data for player rank (1st - 8th place)
    • All Files now get written to a folder in your documents to eliminate the need to run the application "as administrator" in Windows 7 and 8.
    • Payout options now show on the "Standings" tab for tournament administrators

Get the latest version here: http://scottdanesi.com/WP/?page_id=161

Also, don't forget to sign up for the new release mailing list here: http://eepurl.com/wSHdf

#33 11 years ago

Hey Snow,
    You are right, that is a total change of pace. This software would be possible to make, but not in this application. I wanted to make sure that this one was very easy to use. That "Pinbrawl" style tournament does sound like a fun challenge, but it would definitely be a different piece of software.

I have also gotten many requests for bracket style tournament options, but there is plenty of software out there that does this very well already.

The Pingolf idea is pretty cool as well, but again, I think that would be a separate piece of software.

Man, I am starting to sound like a broken record.

Thanks for the feedback and the props on the software. I will continue making updates to ensure that this thing is the best at what it does.

I will be working on better statistics in the next release. For instance ranking on consistency and other cool stuff.

Thanks,
    --Scott

#35 11 years ago

HAHAHAHHAHA! Looks like someone forgot the sunscreen.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

All the bracket software I've ever seen only works for 1v1 or teamvteam, not 1v1v1v1

This is most likely due to the fact that it is single elimination and it is the way most people do bracket style tournaments. It would be neat for some software to support the multiple player scenario.

1 week later
    #39 10 years ago

Hey Guys,
    New version is up! I also created a User Guide to help with all the functionality of the application.

Latest Version: http://scottdanesi.com/WP/?page_id=161
    User Guide: http://scottdanesi.com/WP/?page_id=176

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks,

--Scott

5 months later
    #40 10 years ago

Hey Guys,
    The newest version is here! Version 1.7.2 is a minor update with some cool fixes and updates. I have created a heatmap on the standing breakout window that looks really good. I have also added the ability to customize the size of the font on the breakout window as well.

The formal online user guide is updated with the new settings. You can access it directly from the site or through the help menu in the Application itself.

As always, your feedback is very important to me, so let me know if you have any suggestions of find anything wrong with the software.

Latest Version: http://scottdanesi.com/WP/?page_id=161
    User Guide: http://scottdanesi.com/WP/?page_id=176

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks,

--Scott

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thenotrashcougar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-arcade-tournament-manager-application-v154?tu=thenotrashcougar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.