11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

f3353b.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nekojin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Did he say that they couldn't find a pinball for less that $11k????

No. What they said was:

In fact we were astonished to discover that the price for just one of the tables we were interested in is over $11,000!

In other words, one of the tables that they wanted to license (and possibly did license - I think they were referring to Medieval Madness) was over $11k (IE, they couldn't find one cheaper). While I'm sure that some pinsiders have found it for less than that, it's not exactly easy to find.

With regard to the cost of the Kickstarter - if you'd be buying the table anyway, you'll be paying for the licensing fees one way or another. With the Kickstarter, you're helping ensure that high-license-cost tables like these even get ported to Pinball Arcade. And since you don't pay unless the Kickstarter is successful, it's just as much of a no-lose proposition for the backers as it is for the producers. That is, unless you resent prepaying for things.

#94 11 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

He's saying that for $10 you get what will cost $5 (or less) for anybody that DOESN'T do the kickstarter.
It is kind of slanted, but the whole point is that the people who REALLY want to see expensive license games will have to chip in a bit more to make it happen. Those who don't care if it gets made or not can just wait to see how it pans out and then get it cheaper.

Probably not. They were talking about a $30 table cost when they were expecting to front the licensing fees themselves. With the Kickstarter floating the licensing fees, they'll probably drop it to $15, or possibly even $10. The early adopters are making it cheaper for everyone.

And I, for one, am glad to do it.

#115 11 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Playing TZ or STTNG on a virtual device is NOT worth a donation when I can go play the real thing for .75 a game at a couple different places around me. Although, I would gladly pay a 5 spot if the tables were available on a virtual device, that's the big difference in our view I think. I guess lucky for me there are a ton of people that think otherwise.

Bully for you. Not everyone has those tables near them. There isn't a publicly-available, fully-functional TZ, STTNG, MM, CFTBL, or, frankly, ANY of the Pinball Arcade tables anywhere near Los Angeles. The closest guarantee for some of them is down in the San Diego area.

Edit: Also, assuming that the tables are only going to be priced at $5 is a stretch. Of the presently-available tables, only two (Monster Bash and CFTBL) have secondary licensing issues*, and both of those are the same licensor - Universal. Universal LOVES to get their Movie Monsters into as many media opportunities as possible, because it keeps them relevant without Universal having to spend a dime. As a result, their licensing fees for the Movie Monsters are extremely low. I'd be willing to bet that they licensed for both of those tables as a combo pack, and the licensing fee was under 5k. But we have no way of knowing that, short of someone leaking a confidential contract.

*Sorry, I forgot RBION. Ripley's is known for being rather lassiez-faire with their licensing.

In contrast, both Twilight Zone and Star Trek are major properties, and the licensing is tight on both. Trek, in particular, has lots of tertiary licenses - the likenesses of everyone whose face is on the table. TZ, in contrast, only has one major tertiary license - the estate of Rod Serling. Both of those licenses are huge, compared to the licenses for games like Medieval Madness and Funhouse.

#119 11 years ago

Edit: Oops, the post I was responding to wasn't a NEW post. Never mind.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.99
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 63.95
$ 15.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nekojin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-arcade-star-trek-the-next-generation-kickstarter?tu=nekojin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.