11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

f3353b.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeffy777.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 11 years ago

I think these guys do great work and their physics are getting better all the time.....not everyone has access to or room for all these tables in real life, so this is a fantastic project, imo.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

What makes me mad is that so many already in the hobby will openly donate 10 or 20 bucks to video pinball, yet never play on location. Way to support the hobby! Have fun playing alone in your basement.

Look on the other side of the coin though. There are many people on the Pinball Arcade forum who are just now venturing out to find places to play real pinball because of this game, and even a few who went out and bought their first real machines because of this game. It's pretty clear that this is drawing positive attention to our hobby, and bringing in new people, so I think we should make the most of it.

#90 11 years ago

Farsight didn't originally plan to use Kickstarter, but people kept bugging them to do it....so they are only doing what they were asked to do by their customers.

Without Kickstarter, I could never play TZ or STTNG on my ipad while taking a dump, so I'm all for it

#92 11 years ago

Either way, the table is definitely worth $10.....and it would never happen without the Kickstarter, so if this is what it takes, then so be it.

#99 11 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Well, I'm not really running around my house flailing my arms cursing Farsight (funny cartoon bubble though). I just disagree with the method, to me building a business is selling a product and rolling profit back into the business. Evidently Farsight has found a way for people to build their business for them AND rake in the profits at the same time. I'm not mad/angry, I just will never contribute because I think it's a bit sleazy, but I will buy their game/tables, because I think that it's a very valid product and find it a fairly accurate simulation.

I'm not sure how many times we have to say it, but evidently one more: they are only doing Kickstarter because their customers kept continually bugging and begging them to do it. They never originally planned it. I don't see how we can call them "sleazy" for simply doing what their customers wanted them to do....and the money from the Kickstarter is going directly towards paying for the licenses. They aren't pocketing a single penny of it, and they are still paying for all the development costs themselves. The whole point of the Kickstarter is so that they can bring us tables that would never be possible due to the expensive licenses.

And as for them making millions, they were recently asked in an interview about their commercial success and here's what they had to say:

Are the commercial results of The Pinball Arcade so far on par with your expectations?

"Our biggest fear was that we’d get lost in all of the other games and apps that are distributed digitally. Thankfully, we’ve gotten past that with a lot of support from the first parties.

Once we start rolling out more tables on console, I think we’ll be able to better determine just how well we’re going.

I asked Jay Obernolte (the president of FarSight) to weigh in on this question."

From Jay:
“To be honest, we really didn’t know what to expect. We love making pinball games and we hoped the Pinball Arcade would be successful enough to let us go on making several tables every month. Although the game Is not profitable for us yet, it’s doing well enough to pay its own way in terms of ongoing expenses (which is very gratifying). Also we’re very encouraged by the fact that for each of the past few months we’ve sold more tables than the month before, which means we’re reaching more people every month and introducing pinball to a whole new generation of people who might never have become pinball fans except for the Pinball Arcade. That makes us feel really good about what we’re doing.”

So the reality is: they aren't even making a profit yet....

#106 11 years ago
Quoted from prock:

I, like many, started playing pins on locations and ended up buying a pin because of Pinball Arcade. Hard to argue about their business model. Whatever works.... works.

Quoted from frolic:

Hello, first post. I just wanted to say this is EXACTLY my case. I was re-introduced to pinball with Pinball Arcade on my ipad. That has now brought me here, and am now in the market for my first machine and eventual games room for my home. My four and eight year old sons have now been introduced to pinball as well.
I won't be part of their kickstarter, for various reasons already given in this thread, but I will buy the table when it is released, and will continue to explore this new hobby in the real world as well.
If a small % of Pinball Arcade users follow the same path as me, this could be a big deal.
Anyhow, glad to be here.

Very cool. I'm excited that my brother is now also loving pinball because of this game too. He never cared about it before, so I can thank Farsight for that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods
Toppers
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 26.50
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 9.95
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeffy777.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-arcade-star-trek-the-next-generation-kickstarter?tu=jeffy777 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.