(Topic ID: 74067)

Pinball Arcade now live for PS4, and it's..............

By Part_3

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by bcgameguide
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Amaze-balls!

Very, very happy with this release. Amazing graphics! Do yourself a favor, and adjust the new room brightness setting to dark and check out the lighting effects. You may not always want to play it in the dark, but it's worth a look to appreciate the light effects.

Simply a top notch release!

#2 5 years ago

Sweet! PS4 is one of my kids gifts this year!

#3 5 years ago

Oh man, can't wait to see it. I went XBox One for my son but the PS4 keeps sounding better and better.

#4 5 years ago

They need to create a portrait mode for the PS4, like they have recently done with the Windows version on Steam. I'd like to create a semi-virtual Pinball table....with a PS4 and 37 inch TV turned sideways hanging on the wall. That would be epic!

#5 5 years ago

Morning bump!

#6 5 years ago

Awesome, I'm getting a PS4 for Xmas! It's definitely going to be worth playing this, it might as well be my most played game besides Knack...

#7 5 years ago

Do you get to import the games you own on PS3 or are they going to be dicks about it?

#8 5 years ago

anyone know if you keep your tables from Ps3, or are we re-paying?

#9 5 years ago

Yes It is a lot of fun. I always play it with the room brightness set to dark.

#10 5 years ago

Well, they seem to have a pretty good policy going where if you buy the games on one platform, you get to use them on another.

I'm sure there will be no problem with transporting them between consoles...

NOT.

#11 5 years ago

In regards to ps3 purchases and getting a discount on the ps4 version, if you have already purchased ALL the tables from season one (TOTAN to the AFM pack), a $15.00 version will show up in the PSN store as long as you're using the same user ID. That's 50% off of the regular season one set.

I do agree with the OP. I've played most of the tables last night after downloading and in "dark" mode the lighting is excellent. GI is now controlled and can be dimmed or shut off as the table ROM dictates. It doesn't go completely dark but pretty close. Flashing effects are impressive to the point that you can momentarily lose track of the ball just like IRL.

Physics are improved too. The ball feels like it has some more weight and weak ramp shots don't have that vacuum effect that has been seen before where you know the ball shouldn't make it but the ramp "pulls" it anyway.

I've played VP and FP over the years and the PS4 version of The Pinball Arcade is, by far, the best pinball simulator out there. This is NOT a straight port of the PS3 version. This had to have taken a lot of time to do. TZ was the first table I played and after seeing the GI partially shut off and move around the playfield during Powerball, I felt this was money well spent. Hell, even thirty bucks would have been nothing for all these tables (around 20, I think).

#12 5 years ago

Agreed. It is definitely not a quick and dirty port, but a true next-gen release. What I find so impressive is how good it already looks! Console gamers know that the best looking games never come out at launch. It takes developers a couple of years to really dial into the hardware and start producing next-gen games. The games that come out in the twilight years of a console can be really incredible (GTA V, BioShock Infinite, etc..). One can only imagine what these tables could look like if Farsight tweaks them in a couple of years........

#13 5 years ago

Nice!
    So how about the most important thing, the flipper physics? Are they better? Or the same crap with the tricky tip of the flipper?

#14 5 years ago

I will chime in too (as I get to review this for my local newspaper). It's really good and I can see the difference between the PS3 and PS4. This was no half-ass port!

#15 5 years ago

i'll stick with the pinmame versions. For one they are free. And 2, you can adjust every inconsistency you might not like. Which will get it to play nearly perfect. Can't do that with systems.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i'll stick with the pinmame versions. For one they are free. And 2, you can adjust every inconsistency you might not like. Which will get it to play nearly perfect. Can't do that with systems.

They are also illegal and piss poor in graphics quality compared to what we're talking about.

#18 5 years ago

I've been waiting for Pinball Arcade for PS4. Glad it's finally available!

#19 5 years ago

Right there with 'ya Part_3. To quote a famous hamburger chain, "I'm lovin' it!"

#20 5 years ago

How does the PS4 compare to the Ipad?

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

How does the PS4 compare to the Ipad?

I buy both the PS3 (& now PS4) and the IOS versions. Both look & play phenomenally! When traveling, the iPad is perfect for TPA. When at home, I use the console. Graphically speaking, both the IOS version and the PS3 looked similar to me. (both excellent) However, the lighting enhancements on the PS4 really help to set this version apart. Highly recommended!

#22 5 years ago

Are they done with XBox now? I noticed even with whatever issues they were having on the 360 supposedly resolved, there were still never any updates.

#23 5 years ago

It's disappointing that that PC version doesn't use the same renderer as the PS4 version. Since the PC and PS4 architecture is very similar, it wouldn't take much to get the PS4 version running on the PC.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from DarkWizard:

Are they done with XBox now? I noticed even with whatever issues they were having on the 360 supposedly resolved, there were still never any updates.

I don't think it's resolved yet.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from swedishc:

It's disappointing that that PC version doesn't use the same renderer as the PS4 version. Since the PC and PS4 architecture is very similar, it wouldn't take much to get the PS4 version running on the PC.

The problem with that is trying to make a wide brush stroke. So many video cards with varying degrees of power. The specs on console, like the PS4, never change during it's life, so the developers can really dial their code into the hardware.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Part_3:

The problem with that is trying to make a wide brush stroke. So many video cards with varying degrees of power. The specs on console, like the PS4, never change during it's life, so the developers can really dial their code into the hardware.

Things like rendering features are totally scaleable across different PC configurations. Also, at the end of the day these tables don't have really complex meshes and textures, so I don't see why there would be any issue with running the PS4 version on a mid-level PC. (I have been a professional game developer for the last 10 years to put my opinion in context)

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from swedishc:

Things like rendering features are totally scaleable across different PC configurations. Also, at the end of the day these tables don't have really complex meshes and textures, so I don't see why there would be any issue with running the PS4 version on a mid-level PC. (I have been a professional game developer for the last 10 years to put my opinion in context)

Then you should appreciate an unmoving target like a Console.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from Part_3:

Then you should appreciate an unmoving target like a Console.

I absolutely do. It is nice to not worry about compatibility across various GPUs, CPUs, OSs, resolutions...etc. I am currently working on a game that will be released on PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android and Ouya at launch. It is a big pain to make sure the game runs well on all of those platforms with the same content.

That doesn't excuse The Pinball Arcade from being released on the PC without all of the bells and whistles from the next gen versions.

#29 5 years ago

I just bought the game tonight. It's incredible. For the first time ever, I feel like I'm playing the actual machine. Ipad is great and all but this game is more like real pinball.

Anyway, a BIG thumbs up.

#30 5 years ago

Do the other versions have the dark-room lighting FX now or only the PS4 version?

#31 5 years ago

For now only the PS4 version has the new lighting effects. They've said that they should be rolling out to the PC eventually.

#32 5 years ago

I wish the PS4 version let you sort high scores by friends. How did they miss that? Also the sound is really low and poor. Other than that happy with it. Anyone with it on the PS4 send a friend request so hopefully we can compare scores once Farsight fixes it hopefully. My PSN name is Fudge0Packer. That is a zero in there between Fudge and Packer.
    I thought PS+ members got a 10% discount for the first two weeks but I'm not seeing that anywhere.

#33 5 years ago

I just don't know if I can stomach buying the tables again, but hey free TOTAN sounds good. Playing on a widescreen 65 inch Panasonic Plasma seems odd but sure it will look gorgeous.

#34 5 years ago

I still find the ps4 like the ps3 version is just a millisecond off when hitting the flipper . Its not instant compared to the iPad , but the lighting effects are much better . It's not lag , the flippers just kinda feel doughy . Does anyone else notice this ?

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from HeyNow:

My PSN name is Fudge0Packer. .

Im not going to be playing any kind of games with someone that has the screen name Fudgepacker!!!lol

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Part_3:

They are also illegal and piss poor in graphics quality compared to what we're talking about.

no they are not, and the graphics are fantastic. When was the last time you've used or played pinmame? You need to investigate a little deeper.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

no they are not, and the graphics are fantastic. When was the last time you've used or played pinmame? You need to investigate a little deeper.

They suck in comparison to the PS4, and yes they are unlicensed IP from the original manufactures and unlicensed movie themes, actor representation, etc....

Get a grip, get a clue, and do some research. There is no free lunch.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcfly:

I still find the ps4 like the ps3 version is just a millisecond off when hitting the flipper . Its not instant compared to the iPad , but the lighting effects are much better . It's not lag , the flippers just kinda feel doughy . Does anyone else notice this ?

I've played several tables again since reading your post, and I can't say I've noticed any lag.

#39 5 years ago

Boom

image.jpg
    #40 5 years ago
    Quoted from magnoliarichj:

Boom

image.jpg 119 KB

It's a PS4 thread bro. Get that crap out of here!

Quoted from mcfly:

Its not instant compared to the iPad

Too funny. I hate my games on the iPad because of the lag. I still like them but I definitely need to prepare myself for the ball rather than just be reactionary.

To each is own I guess.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from Part_3:

I've played several tables again since reading your post, and I can't say I've noticed any lag.

I don't know what it is then . maybe i am too used to the iPads speedy ball movement .

3 weeks later
    #42 5 years ago

I still can't get past the lag issue. Game mode doesn't work, and neither does renaming the input (I have a samsung). Never had any lag on the 360.

I really want to like Pinball Arcade, and I've supported them by buying it on multiple platforms. But even without lag, I just can't get used to the physics. The ball acts like it's sliding instead of rolling and you just can't do essential things like drop catches and live catches, which are possible on Zen. It's like the flipper rubbers are made of concrete.

#43 5 years ago

Love playing this game on the ps4. I'm happy i never bought it for the ps3, cause i wouldn't pay for it twice, even with the lil discount you get. I did infact buy zen pinball on ps3 though, so i'll be able to redownload it on ps4 for free but before i do that, i'm trying to beat Pinball Arcade.

I had many issues with the game on certain tables, Ripleys Believe It or Not was one of them, when i would have multiball, i would see to lose a ball somewhere in the top part of the playfield. I tried tilting like crazy, but the ball was never to be found, so i had to restart and hope for no lose balls. I eventually beat the wizard goals.

I have 96% of the trophies, all i'm missing is the 3 000 000 pts on Genie and the video mode on Medieval Madness. I didn't think i would ever 100% it, but i think i just might

#44 5 years ago

3 million on tpa's genie is just absurd.

#45 5 years ago

I need to get off my lazy ass and go get a PS4 this week. I played the unfinished demo at Best Buy before Xmas and even that was pretty good.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

3 million on tpa's genie is just absurd.

Oh ya, it's very frustrating. I always seem to have a cpl bad drains, doesn't matter how much i nudge. Black Knight and Big Shot were a pain in the ass also, but i managed to complete them Those Gottlieb games i tell ya

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from zsciaeount:

I still can't get past the lag issue. Game mode doesn't work, and neither does renaming the input (I have a samsung). Never had any lag on the 360.
    I really want to like Pinball Arcade, and I've supported them by buying it on multiple platforms. But even without lag, I just can't get used to the physics. The ball acts like it's sliding instead of rolling and you just can't do essential things like drop catches and live catches, which are possible on Zen. It's like the flipper rubbers are made of concrete.

There is no lag on PS4.

#49 5 years ago

Yeah the graphics and lighting effects are truly AWESOME, but, the physics are very very good and play like the real deal. The PS3 version was pretty but lacked the feel and was too fast and inconcise just like the iPad, iPhone etc.etc.
    Making for some ridiculous high scoring.
    Just need more tables and the new headend as stated

XTHIS GAME IS A WINNERX

1 month later
    #50 5 years ago

Thinking about buying a PS4 for the sole reason of playing Pinball Arcade. Have they released all three seasons of games yet, or just Season 1?

Also, I have all of the games for iOS .....I'm assuming that wouldn't get me a discount on PS4.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 16.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 50.00
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 32.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Z
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinbotz
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 8,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    PinballSTAR Amusements
    $ 199.99
    $ 15.00
    There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside