5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Jean-Luc-Picard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Dwm 2012-09-05 17-40-38-52.png
    cubox-i-thm.jpg
    linux_2.jpg
    linux.jpg
    InHomeStreamingDiagram_t.jpg

#1 5 years ago

InHomeStreamingDiagram_t.jpg
    Dwm 2012-09-05 17-40-38-52.png
    Those of you who built a Virtual Cab and are running Pinball Arcade via Steam. Or have a PC, Linux, Mac, SteamOS multi-arcade and run games off of Steam "For example the new Street fighter" but suffer with a low end machine in your Virtual Cabinet, while you have a high end machine in the house someplace else. Yesterday Steam released the "In-Home Streaming". Now you can run your games from your other high end rig.

In a nut shell: Crappy computer in your cabinet can now run max settings via another machine located someplace else.

But what is even cooler. Is you could pick up a $45 mini-Linux machine. Install steam. And Boom, your arcade is now running off a tiny little box.
    linux.jpglinux_2.jpgcubox-i-thm.jpg

As well, you could still add ROM's to steam. "Streaming non-Steam games in the Steam library may work but is not officially supported"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://store.steampowered.com/streaming/

WITH IN-HOME STREAMING YOU CAN...
    Play your Windows games on devices running other operating systems
    Currently Mac OS X, Linux, and SteamOS, with support for more systems coming soon.

Play your demanding games on lower-end systems
    System requirements dictate the rig you’ll need to run your game, but with In-Home Streaming they won’t limit where you can play.

Kick back with your laptop or home theater PC
    Your Steam games are now available throughout your home when you stream them from your PC to your computer, netbook, laptop, or HTPC.

Seamlessly pick up where you left off
    Looking for a change of scenery? Steam knows whether your game is already running. Move to another device and start streaming your game right as you left it on your PC.

Download once, play anywhere
    No need to wait for your game to download again when it’s already installed on one of your home computers.

#2 5 years ago

My son has a Nvidia Shield (streaming capable portable console).
    It works similar, with a few differences - There is a (probably several?) dedicated gaming servers with several Steam games preinstalled. You don't have to have the raw power to play.
    So it can play games like SFIV - without having it installed on the LAN (Local Area Network).
    Obviously the gameplay would be better if it was via LAN instead of WAN (Wide Area Network). I don't use it so I can't share my experiences, but I think it's really awesome product.

This is one of Windows major downsides - it's the upgrade that I've dreamed of for 20 years:
    Ever since the earlier 80's (probably even late 70's) there have been work terminals that used thin clients and fat servers.
    If Windows OS would just do something like this:
    Not-just gaming, but a multiple user setup (where multi-user can SIMULTANEOUSLY log in) with simply put a KVM that ran through a LAN - they would make bank!

It sounds like steam is gonna utilize this scenario, however, you are kinda at the mercy of there compatibility. This sounds pretty awesome - hopefully they continue development on this. They are a gaming ~ streaming ~ kinda company.

#3 5 years ago

I have not tested non-steam games yet. But they claim it will work. You can add non-steam games to the library. I will test it this weekend and see how that part works. If not it will still be great to play Pinball Arcade at max settings or SFIV at max. As well, USFIV comes out this year. - http://www.streetfighter.com/us/usfiv be amazing to run this on my outdated arcade hardware.

#4 5 years ago

Pinball is extremely input lag sensitive. I wouldn't expect this to satisfy playing on a pinball cabinet via thin client. Input lag is different then actual fps lag btw.

#5 5 years ago

I think it will be fine via LAN, but not WAN. "will test soon" just found about this today. In my case it will be better, the rig I have inside now can't handle it.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I think it will be fine via LAN, but not WAN. "will test soon" just found about this today. In my case it will be better, the rig I have inside now can't handle it.

I dont think it will be fine. Pinball games see unique. The game can have 200 fps plus and still feel lagged if the flippers are only about 2 frames behind. The nature of these genes are pretty time sensitive to the point that you need to configure max pre rendered frames in your video card driver to only 1. The lan will be fast but have some added latency.

#7 5 years ago

Will test it out sat or sunday. Sounds like others have had promising results.

" I had no problem browsing Big Picture Mode and playing Pinball Arcade"

(( This person had good results and used WiFi)))
    "First Game: The Pinball Arcade.
    Pinball is a pretty twitchy game, so I thought this would be a great first test. This is actually playable. There are a few instances of stuttering where I think the wireless network dropped a few too many packets. I'll re test this later using GigE to remove that possibility. All in all, it looks nice. No real noticeable articles and the lag seems to be minimal. Your host machine CAN'T be used for anything but gaming while it's hosting. It actually runs the game it's hosting, full screen, while streaming all of that out to the client. While there is no sound, you can actually use the controls on the host and interface with the game simultaneously. A good way to troll your friends and housemates? With both the host and client next to each other I can see if there's any lag between the two screens. As far as my puny human eyes could tell, both seemed to respond almost instantaneously with each other. Neato. I did however notice that the colors were muted on the client and they aren't muted like this when the game runs off the client's own hardware instead of streaming. So somewhere along this pipeline, some color is getting lost.

While the Steam BPM is all rendered locally by the client, toaster notifies about friends joining games or coming online seem to be rendered on the host and baked into the stream."

"Working Great:
    - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    - Sid Meier's Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword
    - Men of War: Assault Squad
    - Natural Selection 2
    - Path of Exile
    - Pinball Arcade
    - Monkey Island 2 Special Edition (some very minor mouse input latency)
    - Terraria
    - Beneath a Steel Sky (non-steam game that runs on a SCUMM virtual machine )
    - Gnomoria
    - Gemini Rue
    - La Mulana
    - The Longest Journey"

#8 5 years ago

I always knew this would come. Just didn't expect it via Steam.

#9 5 years ago

CONFIRMED! It works... On wifi I noticed MASSIVE lag. On LAN It was perfect. No lag!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 16.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 29.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.95
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    € 6.50
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 75.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Pinball Vault
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 190.00
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 23.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.00
    $ 109.99
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Whitewater pinball mods
    $ 86.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside