medievalmadness1680x1050 (resized).jpg
B6A94D03-6CCE-4FF0-AC9F-41DE6FC5C6B0 (resized).jpeg
3BEC65F3-936A-4076-BE27-D6EC07495A5C (resized).jpeg
40ADB464-3471-4B21-863C-0778C07AA426 (resized).jpeg
Cardboard Controller (resized).jpg
879CD181-47F6-47A2-AC29-6EAE25FA3B7F (resized).jpeg
85B4BF23-DA9A-447C-995D-51AB7094200D (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_4.png

There are 340 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
#301 5 years ago

ah!!!!!

https://thisweekinpinball.com/williams-bally-pinball-license-acquired-by-zen-studios-exclusive-interview-first-tables-available-now/

I am so glad I did not pay to complete my collection with TPA. Instead, I'll support Zen for their superior engine.

This is great.

#302 5 years ago

Thanks for posting this, I will give these "tables" a whirl. Too bad this info didn't leak earlier, I definitely could have saved some money!

#303 5 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Thanks for posting this, I will give these "tables" a whirl. Too bad this info didn't leak earlier, I definitely could have saved some money!

How are the physics? Are they arcade-y like other Zen Tables? Or more realistic?

#304 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Or more realistic?

Appears to be in the middle, for now.

#305 5 years ago

I definitely encourage anyone to try out the "beta" versions Zen has for Steam ( "full" fish tales and limited versions of three others). It almost goes without saying these are already way better than the Farsight ones. I know there will likely be some continued bashing of Farsight in light of how much better the finished Zen versions will likely be but I'm glad those existed since they were instrumental in getting me back into pinball

#306 5 years ago

I kind of feel like a sucker for buying up all the Farsight tables when Zen versions were just around the corner, especially if they are superior.

#307 5 years ago

Did not see that coming!

#308 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I kind of feel like a sucker for buying up all the Farsight tables when Zen versions were just around the corner, especially if they are superior.

Zen looks great - but never really played all that well except as 'fantasy' pinball. The new physics they are pushing... still looks a lot like the old stuff.

PBA was big because of the good physics AND representation of the games.

Don't dispair yet...

#309 5 years ago

Played Fishtales. It's OK. I do feel a bit better about buying all those Farsight tables now...

#310 5 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Played Fishtales. It's OK. I do feel a bit better about buying all those Farsight tables now...

Oh, why is that? Are the physics subpar?

I wonder if there is a better chance that we'd see licensed tables on the Zen engine (Indiana Jones, Shadow, Congo, etc)? It seems like Zen has better success ag creating licensed tables.

#311 5 years ago

The Farsight "tables" never felt right to me as far as the backhand shots were concerned. I've played all of these W/B tables over the years, and have owned most of them (still do in fact), and most of these tables when played in real life have a lot of backhandable shots sometimes including ramps. In the Farsight tables, the backhand shots never worked right or felt right. This bothered me, as shots that I would consistently be able to backhand on the physical tables would now have to be across the playfield shots from the opposite flipper. I never see anyone mention this. Was it just me?

#312 5 years ago

I'm still trying to get my graphics card configured for Pinball FX. When the camera moves backwards (for plunge) there is visible tearing. Does anybody know which graphics setting I should tweak? Vsync is already off (which has fixed an audio stuttering issue). Dang it, might be time for a new computer.

Edit: I got it figured out. VSync Off, max # of pre-rendered frames =1, Adaptive Sync (or fast sync).

#313 5 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

The Farsight "tables" never felt right to me as far as the backhand shots were concerned. I've played all of these W/B tables over the years, and have owned most of them (still do in fact), and most of these tables when played in real life have a lot of backhandable shots sometimes including ramps. In the Farsight tables, the backhand shots never worked right or felt right. This bothered me, as shots that I would consistently be able to backhand on the physical tables would now have to be across the playfield shots from the opposite flipper. I never see anyone mention this. Was it just me?

There are a lot of things digital pinball can't do that real tables can do. This is for every digital pinball developer, not just Farsight. What I liked about Farsight, that I don't like about Zen is that Zen pinball tends to have no, or very little, real ball physics. Though Farsight's ball is a little bit more floaty, imo, they had much better real ball physics than Zen does. Zen is like arcade-style racing games like Burnout vs Farsight being a more simulated racing game like Gran Turismo or Forza. They are both racing games but their gameplay styles are completely different.

#314 5 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Vsync is already off

Yeah, you want vsync ON. It prevents tearing. It's funny, vsync is exactly there to prevent that issue!

Also, go into your nvidia control panel and select Prefer Performance. In other words, disable all the power saving crap.

In Pinball FX, disable everything at first (but leave vsync on). If it runs like crap, you need a better GPU. If it runs ok, add 2x anti aliasing and test again. etc...

#315 5 years ago

PBFX is fine with me but I do not like how they handle nudging.

1 week later
#316 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

ah!!!!!
https://thisweekinpinball.com/williams-bally-pinball-license-acquired-by-zen-studios-exclusive-interview-first-tables-available-now/
I am so glad I did not pay to complete my collection with TPA. Instead, I'll support Zen for their superior engine.
This is great.

That's very interesting.

fwiw, I stumbled across this the other day

ebay.com link: 49 Virtual Pinball Machine w 1 086 games Marvel DC Comics Disney Games

but know zilch about the potential merits (or demerits) of it, or anything about the seller. When I first saw the listing, I could have sworn the price was more like 4.7K, rather than what is showing now. The Arcooda (?) option received some dubious reactions -- in part regarding their payment procedure.

Will this Zen announcement pull the rug out from under the appeal of anything else along these lines ?

#317 5 years ago

"Some of the media and games used to create these Pinball Tables are freely available on the net and I consider my work as non-profit fanart. You are paying for the days of labor it cost me to download. "

This pisses me off. He wants money for the hours it cost him to download those tables. As an author of a dozen of those tables it took me on average 200 hours to CREATE them a piece. I posted them for free to the community so everyone could enjoy them and not to let some dick head download them and sell them. Not to mention selling a virtual machine with tables installed (outside of the Arcooda stuff) is illegal.

Message the seller as well as E-bay about this.

And people in the VP world wonder why a lot of the authors stopped building tables. This is reason #1.

#318 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

"Some of the media and games used to create these Pinball Tables are freely available on the net and I consider my work as non-profit fanart. You are paying for the days of labor it cost me to download. "
This pisses me off. He wants money for the hours it cost him to download those tables. As an author of a dozen of those tables it took me on average 200 hours to CREATE them. I posted them for free to the community so everyone could enjoy them and not to let some dick head download them and sell them. Not to mention selling a virtual machine with tables installed (outside of the Arcooda stuff) is illegal.
And people in the VP world wonder why a lot of the authors stopped building tables. This is reason #1.

Well, if you had open sourced the work and had it required to not be sold
but could be included (or not) in compilations, and enforced this letter
of your agreement to the world on your works, you wouldn't have this so
much of a problem. However, it was just a matter of time before this happened,
and it has happened in EVERY single 'opensource' community since the beginning
of time. Don't like it, indeed, don't develop tables, or step up and go after the douche.
Good luck either way, and thanks for all the work you did and put out there for others
to enjoy.

#319 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

This pisses me off. He wants money for the hours it cost him to download those tables. As an author of a dozen of those tables it took me on average 200 hours to CREATE them a piece. I posted them for free to the community so everyone could enjoy them and not to let some dick head download them and sell them. Not to mention selling a virtual machine with tables installed (outside of the Arcooda stuff) is illegal.

The work you guys do is amazing. If I was buying a virtual pinball machine, I wouldn't want a bazillion tables installed. I'd want to install tables myself. That includes purchasing Pinball FX and Williams/Bally tables via Steam, as well as the ability to download community-created tables. What's great is when people give something back to the virtual pinball community (even if it's just contributing how-to's and knowledge). That's what I marvel at, the results of people "contributing". The advances coming out of the virtual pinball community (plus Zen and Farsight) over the past couple of years have been jaw-dropping. It's not just the highly detailed 3D-looking tables, it's the excellent software (VPX, FX3, TPA), the addition of physical solenoids, shakers, blowers, gear motors, RGB LEDs, and flashers, 4K displays, head tracking, powered subwoofer, network play, accelerometers, etc.

#320 5 years ago

I really feel bad for what has transpired to Farsight Pinball arcade and the Zen Studios acquisition.

Farsight did a fairly good job. While I am miffed that all the hard work Farsight did (and what I argue transformed modern day pinball )
got the Boot from Scientific games. I'd like to see what Zen brings to the table.

I really want to explore the Virtual Pinball space as I've run out of space and am contemplating a compromise.

#321 5 years ago

Latest announcement regarding Zen's version of Williams tables. Looking great in my opinion...

#322 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

85vett, I know it might not do much to soften the blow, but know that your work is incredibly appreciated by the community. I haven't played VP in a while (had to sell off my cabinet for parts last time I moved) but your tables were always some of my favorites.

#323 5 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Latest announcement regarding Zen's version of Williams tables. Looking great in my opinion...

the non-Zen'd gameplay looks great.

#324 5 years ago

Likely an ignorant question, but can these be installed to virtual cabinets ?

#325 5 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Sometimes perhaps

#326 5 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

I'd say yes. I'm running the beta version of their Fish Tales table and (after getting a cabinet activation key from Zen) cabinet support is in there (options like DMD position, Backglass position, screen orientation, etc). I haven't tested all the options though as I don't have a cabinet, just a display rotated to portrait mode.

#327 5 years ago

just a display rotated to portrait mode.

FYI, Zen's engine does not require the Cabinet Mode at all to play in portrait. If your Windows operating system is hooked to a portrait monitor, Zen will use it natively.

That's how I play.

#328 5 years ago

Looking forward to these games. How frequently will they be released?

I noticed they mention Congo and Shadow on the video, which is great!

#329 5 years ago

27-inch display resting on a gaming laptop running Pinball FX3. Not shown are the USB joystick (with force feedback) and wireless keyboard/mouse. Make no mistake, it's a video game, not a pinball machine. But it's a very good video game

index.pngindex.png
#330 5 years ago

This looks pretty great.

#331 5 years ago

prob the most convincing virtual pin example I've ever seen. Nice job. I can't wait to support these guys. People love vpx and I think it's great but I would love for a developer to nail pinball and back it up with amazing graphics.

#332 5 years ago

27-inch display resting on a gaming laptop running Pinball FX3. Not shown are the USB joystick (with force feedback) and wireless keyboard/mouse. Make no mistake, it's a video game, not a pinball machine. But it's a very good video game
[quoted image]

WOW, that looks great. May have to give this a try on my cab. Game play will decide on if I convert my cab to a MAME arcade or keep it a VP. I just can't get into VPx for some reason.

#333 5 years ago
Quoted from Kolchak357:

This looks pretty great.

Ah crap. That is VERY promising. I wonder how they will handle nudging. If they can incorporate a more realistic nudge ability (not all out like TPA) that would be great too.

#334 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Ah crap. That is VERY promising. I wonder how they will handle nudging. If they can incorporate a more realistic nudge ability (not all out like TPA) that would be great too.

nudging on a pc using the keyboard sucks (unless I'm doing it wrong). it appears that you can only press the spacebar to nudge in an upwards direction.

pressing Y turns on/off the FX3 effects
pressing and holding C allows you to pause the action, zoom in and then use your mouse to navigate to a specific portion of the table. they really did put in a lot of effort to make most of the table look pretty darn authentic. some things still appear to be rather [flat], but most objects have a sense of being truly 3-dimensional

#335 5 years ago

This is probably a dumb question, but what are the system requirements to run this game without any lag? Our newest computer is probably from 6 yrs ago...

Granted I'll probably wait for console support (PS4 or Switch, likely)

#336 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

nudging on a pc using the keyboard sucks (unless I'm doing it wrong). it appears that you can only press the spacebar to nudge in an upwards direction.
pressing Y turns on/off the FX3 effects
pressing and holding C allows you to pause the action, zoom in and then use your mouse to navigate to a specific portion of the table. they really did put in a lot of effort to make most of the table look pretty darn authentic. some things still appear to be rather [flat], but most objects have a sense of being truly 3-dimensional

Sounded like they had or are going to have full cab support. As part of that I would assume they would incorporate the ability to add in something like the below:

https://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=234

#337 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

This is probably a dumb question, but what are the system requirements to run this game without any lag? Our newest computer is probably from 6 yrs ago...
Granted I'll probably wait for console support (PS4 or Switch, likely)

I'm currently running it on a 3.00Ghz P3 w/ 6GB of 2400DDR ram (a system I built about 9 years ago, and definitely not a powerhouse by any stretch by today's standards
I don't experience any lag and the textures look great on my monitors

4 weeks later
#338 5 years ago

Hi Guys, we just wanted to give an update to all customers who supported the Arcooda project. We had a lot of development in place (some we finished, some we abandoned due to the loss of license and some transferred to our other video pinball projects). This week we announced that we had finished the Kinect add-on support software for all versions and offered for free to all Arcooda customers. If you purchased the standalone software and have not received an email from our team please contact us, otherwise, if you purchase the steam cabinet support, this add-on is automatically added to your account.

#339 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcooda:

Hi Guys, we just wanted to give an update to all customers who supported the Arcooda project. We had a lot of development in place (some we finished, some we abandoned due to the loss of license and some transferred to our other video pinball projects). This week we announced that we had finished the Kinect add-on support software for all versions and offered for free to all Arcooda customers. If you purchased the standalone software and have not received an email from our team please contact us, otherwise, if you purchase the steam cabinet support, this add-on is automatically added to your account.

Thank you for you supporting your customers, with this additional value add!

#340 5 years ago

The Steam tables run at snail's pace and are unplayable on my pc, which is about 8 years old. 3 Ghz, 8 gigs of ram, but Steam complained about me needing a new video card. I tried one and returned it after that didn't help. Waiting for the console version, needless to say.

There are 340 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-arcade-announces-it-wont-carry-ballywilliams-tables/page/7?hl=cocomonkeh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.