medievalmadness1680x1050 (resized).jpg
B6A94D03-6CCE-4FF0-AC9F-41DE6FC5C6B0 (resized).jpeg
3BEC65F3-936A-4076-BE27-D6EC07495A5C (resized).jpeg
40ADB464-3471-4B21-863C-0778C07AA426 (resized).jpeg
Cardboard Controller (resized).jpg
879CD181-47F6-47A2-AC29-6EAE25FA3B7F (resized).jpeg
85B4BF23-DA9A-447C-995D-51AB7094200D (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_4.png

There are 340 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
#201 5 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

I'm just disappointed it was never released for the Oculus Rift. The Pinball FX is great in VR when used in conjunction with a dedicated Pinball controller with plunger, flipper buttons, nudging control etc. I have been hanging out to try the Bally Williams games in VR. A real bummer that will never eventuate.

Man I feel the same way. They promised this forever too. Even showed it off one not release it? I guess they still can but just for the other tables and if you in the older ones you should be good. Is it officially cancelled?

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

That is not how Steam works at all. Can install on multiple computers no problem, and even sharing your games between multiple accounts. Pretty nice.

You can install on multiple computers but you can only be logged into the steam account from one machine at a time.

#203 5 years ago

I agree this sucks. The physics may not be perfect, but I don't always have the luxury of playing a real pin (work, vacation, taking a shit etc...).

Have they confirmed you would still be able to download tables you have purchased after they are discontinued?

#204 5 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

Have they confirmed you would still be able to download tables you have purchased after they are discontinued?

I think so. It will act as if you cannot purchase them anymore, but the Steam "behavior" for this game will behave the same way as others. So reinstalling on another machine should be no problem.

For those interested, I have asked https://www.arcoodapinballarcade.com/ if their "cabinet support" actually support 16*10 screen resolutions. They have replied this:

"Thank you for your email, if you can please allow us a few days we will try and get a 16/10 monitor and test the software. We will advise findings early next week."

(that would dictate for me if I am buying their cab support)

#205 5 years ago

I have to say that when I first heard this I was bummed because I have a beautiful virtual cab and only a few of the PA tables. I then considered the arcooda bundle for PC when I stumbled on VPX tables. It had been a long time since I played with the older versions and tables.

This being said, once I installed VPX on my i7 Inspiron with a GeForce GTX card and loaded up Monster Bash I was converted 100%. I've obsessively been pulling in tables like a rich kid in a candy store. You have to experience it. I couldn't care less about them losing the license now.

Experience it!

#206 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

I have to say that when I first heard this I was bummed because I have a beautiful virtual cab and only a few of the PA tables. I then considered the arcooda bundle for PC when I stumbled on VPX tables. It had been a long time since I played with the older versions and tables.
This being said, once I installed VPX on my i7 Inspiron with a GeForce GTX card and loaded up Monster Bash I was converted 100%. I've obsessively been pulling in tables like a rich kid in a candy store. You have to experience it. I couldn't care less about them losing the license now.
Experience it!

Unfortunately VPX May have been one of the
Factors in the demise of the license - but you are right - the newer tables are phenomenally better playing and better looking than ever before

#207 5 years ago

I can't help feeling like this is just a marketing ploy to extract money from those of us who stopped purchasing anything beyond Season 5...

#208 5 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

I can't help feeling like this is just a marketing ploy to extract money from those of us who stopped purchasing anything beyond Season 5...

Guilty!!

#209 5 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

If that was the case, you’d be able to buy the B/W games on Switch...but you can’t.

#210 5 years ago

Progress regarding Arcooda's cab support software for TPA:

Dear Ben,

Further to our previous email, we ran our setup under a 16:10 resolution, or more specifically 1050x1680 portrait. Attached is photo of playfield screenshot with flippers in full view. We believe this should work just fine.

If we can be of any further help, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,
Valentina Josifovski

(I really wanted to know if Medieval Madness would work, not Monster Bash. But that's a start)

#211 5 years ago

UPDATE: Arcooda's Cabinet Support seem to work great with Medieval Madness with a 16:10 resolution. Notice on the screenshot, the flippers are not cut off!

medievalmadness1680x1050 (resized).jpgmedievalmadness1680x1050 (resized).jpg

#212 5 years ago

True story: I was irresponsibly over-served by a local establishment and I bought most of the Bally Williams seasons...

I played Black Knight 2000 on my IPad. How have I gone this long without that theme song. Some thoughts:

- is that a keytar??
- so that’s what a choir of angels sounds like
- take my money!

#213 5 years ago

Sorry if I missed this: What will happen with Williams TOTAN & Bally TOM?

AFAIK these were included in the initial release (not purchased in table packs).

#214 5 years ago

Is there some way to choose the tables like the old version of Pinball Arcade.I don't like these circles.It's hard to see exactly which game is.The old style was much better.

#215 5 years ago

Regarding Arcooda Steam support... I'm on the fence here. I didn't get a clear reply from the Arcooda folks regarding the use of a (Arcooda or third party) USB plunger and tilt/nudge controller, using the Steam version. They made it "seem like it was possible"...

I can live without LED mods and shaker motors (for now).

Eventually, I'd build a VP cab or whatever, but I own all the Steam tables of TPA and this could really speed up my enjoyment of a virtual pin cabinet while I tinker with VP.

It's not easy seeing what the Arcooda product looks like, I don't think it has oficially shipped yet? And 30 days to go... rock and hard place

#216 5 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Sorry if I missed this: What will happen with Williams TOTAN & Bally TOM?
AFAIK these were included in the initial release (not purchased in table packs).

My TPA on Android and Steam says I "own" these tables. I hope they don't disappear. Perhaps an email to Farsight would help.

#217 5 years ago

Is there a place where all the instructions for each game can be found. For example, once all the B/W games go away, is there a place where all those instructions can be found for each game in one place? To me, the best part about TPA is their in depth explanation of the rules.

#218 5 years ago

I threw $150 down for seasons 3-7. No regrets.

#219 5 years ago

They don't appear to be available now for the Nintendo Switch, which is a real shame.

#220 5 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Is there a place where all the instructions for each game can be found. For example, once all the B/W games go away, is there a place where all those instructions can be found for each game in one place? To me, the best part about TPA is their in depth explanation of the rules.

Why would they disappear if you purchased the table?

#221 5 years ago

Sorry, should have been more clear. They will not go away if you have purchased them, but I believe they will no longer be available if you have not purchased them.

#222 5 years ago

If we own the tables, will we be able to upgrade to Pro at a later point in time?

#223 5 years ago

I own all tables, and downloaded the Arcooda key to run on my VirtuaPin.

All in all it's pretty good - but in typical PBA fashion there are numerous bugs. The frame rate in particular is horrible (and there's a whole thread about it over here -- http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/13353-Arcooda-Cab-Views-2-to-4-play-in-Slow-Motion-View-1-fine-Build-1-70-18-(5th-June)/page2 )

It seems to only affect 3 of the four "views" (YIKES! THAT'S 75%) but of course the top down view that looks terrible- is not affected by this issue lol. Of course it wouldn't be.

I'm sure they'll fix it- as they had to patch the views (they didn't work properly) after the initial release- but for $150 as usual- I stupidly expected more on day one

Sigh. I'm still happy to have it- and it mostly works- but we likely won't get full value for a few weeks.

For the tables that work - Arcooda did a nice job. This is all on PBA to fix now....and they are saying they're working on it.

#224 5 years ago

Are most people getting the Steam key? Or the Arcooda version?

#225 5 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

The frame rate in particular is horrible

Well, I think that does it for me. I was going to spend the moolah and finish my TPA collection (and purchase the Arcooda cab support).

Screw that. My moolah will go with PinballFX3.

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Well, I think that does it for me. I was going to spend the moolah and finish my TPA collection (and purchase the Arcooda cab support).
Screw that. My moolah will go with PinballFX3.

Won’t it get better with patches?

#227 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Won’t it get better with patches?

That's a big maybe? Who knows?

You think it will? I have no idea how long Farsight will cooperate with Arcooda, and how sustaining is Arcooda as a company?

No idea.

#228 5 years ago

They pushed out an update last night to fix the slowdown- people are reporting in that thread it hasn't fixed anything. I was worried my Nvidia card wasn't up to the task based on the new Arcooda views - but from what I'm reading it should be running fine.

Someone posted the video below (not mine) based on the new update last night so you all can see the issue here- it's pretty bad- but doesn't affect every table. This is what I'm experiencing too.

A work still very much in progress.....if you can stomach it, go for it.

#229 5 years ago

Why this happen only at one of the views?
What is so different?

#230 5 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

What is so different?

It's happening in 3 of the 4 views.....

You can see more here- Farsight doesn't know yet -

http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/13353-Arcooda-Cab-Views-2-to-4-play-in-Slow-Motion-View-1-fine-Build-1-70-18-(5th-June)/page3

#231 5 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

My guess, Arcooda builds on top of Farsight's code with dependency injections/camera hacking much like the freecam mod???

I don't know, but I cannot "stomach" the slow-motion play for $149. Know what I mean?

#232 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

My guess, Arcooda builds on top of Farsight's code with dependency injections/camera hacking much like the freecam mod???
I don't know, but I cannot "stomach" the slow-motion play for $149. Know what I mean?

Yeah, but it's new. Wouldn't the bugs be worked out soon?

#233 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Yeah, but it's new. Wouldn't the bugs be worked out soon?

Funny how you say it's new. I write software for a living. If I'd release software like this, with its main functionality flawed and broken, I wouldn't last 2 days in my field.

My point was, Arcooda doesn't own the main codebase, Farsight does. Because of this fact, and the limitations of the original code, it might be harder for Arcooda to be able to succeed. TPA runs like crap to begin with, so it might be hard to polish a turd.

(my comparison? TPA versus PinballFX3 on the same computer. As far as performance, FX3 blows TPA out of the water)

#234 5 years ago

I very much suspect that we're never going to see the back catalog of Bally/Williams EVER available for back catalog digitally again - for multiple reasons:

1. Rights are now held by a gambling technology company, which stands to make exponentially more money by using the IP for pinball gambling, which I suspect will be a new thing in gambling soon (kind of like a digital slot machine, which comes down to chance but gives the illusion of skill.

2. There is a market barrier disadvantage for a new company to invest the costs into developing tables that were already created digitally. The potential consumers is drastically less, given that many would already own the original table in some form - even if half were willing to rebuy, it would make it far more difficult to turn a profit.

3. I think what's going to happen will be VERY similar to the GIT Corp complete X-Men and Spider-Man comic DVD's which came out before iPad/digital comic subscriptions. Many of Marvel's popular titles complete back catalogues were released on DVD for digital reading in perpetuity. I bought the X-men one for my brother for $49. The Spiderman disk is now $399.99!: https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-Complete-Collection/dp/B000HKIM7Q

#235 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

3. I think what's going to happen will be VERY similar to the GIT Corp complete X-Men and Spider-Man comic DVD's which came out before iPad/digital comic subscriptions. Many of Marvel's popular titles complete back catalogues were released on DVD for digital reading in perpetuity. I bought the X-men one for my brother for $49. The Spiderman disk is now $399.99!: amazon.com link »

I think that I own all of those. x-men, fantastic four, iron man, spider-man. the quality of the donor issues isn't that great for some of the comics, but they're definitely readable. it would be great if they appreciated that much over the last couple of years since I purchased them

#236 5 years ago

I think it is easier to find random links for crazy Amazon prices of oop items than it is to find buyers for said items...

#237 5 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I think it is easier to find random links for crazy Amazon prices of oop items than it is to find buyers for said items...

Yes. Just like the Pinball marketplace. How about that?

#238 5 years ago

Strange question, but how do I buy The Addams Family on Android? It's the Free Table of the month so when I click "start" it just loads right to the game without the ability to purchase.

#239 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Strange question, but how do I buy The Addams Family on Android? It's the Free Table of the month so when I click "start" it just loads right to the game without the ability to purchase.

Can you buy the pro version? Or play the free game, then go to upgrade in the settings?

1 week later
#240 5 years ago

Just a heads up guys this is the last week, likely ever, to buy The Pinball Arcade table packs. Last day to buy is this coming Saturday, June 30th. Steam has their summer sale going on right now but per the licensing rules that Farsight mentioned the table packs cannot go on sale.

I'm considering buying all of them before the deadline. Anyone else considering doing this? Its about $210 for all 7 table packs. Table pack 7 is the only one I'm on the fence about not getting.

#241 5 years ago

I bought 6 and 7 (all I was missing) but I probably should have just bought the BW tables out of 6 that I wanted. Seven has enough I want to play (though I wish Ghostbusters ran better).

#242 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I very much suspect that we're never going to see the back catalog of Bally/Williams EVER available for back catalog digitally again - for multiple reasons:
1. Rights are now held by a gambling technology company, which stands to make exponentially more money by using the IP for pinball gambling, which I suspect will be a new thing in gambling soon (kind of like a digital slot machine, which comes down to chance but gives the illusion of skill.

When i was in Vegas recently they had "skill slots" where if you hit the bonus symbols on the reel you got to play a mode that was not completely random. They even had two different pinball ones where you played a visual pinball with terrible physics for a bonus round. The pinball game was not a predetermined outcome like spinning the wheels of a digital slot. If you just let the balls drain you wouldnt get much $$$. The better you played more $$$ you get. It got faster/harder the longer you played, so there is some kind of limit so you cant play forever.
pasted_image 3 (resized).pngpasted_image 3 (resized).png

#243 5 years ago

Will you be able to upgrade to pro post June 30?

#244 5 years ago

Although I've definitely been curious about it, my exposure to any virtual pinball has so far been quite limited. It seems like every time I went to PHOF, their 1 (or was it 2 ?) virtual tables were not turned on, or were not working. The last time I was at Banning, they did have around 4 of the same virtual tables there for a demo. This was in that narrow, sometimes-a-bar-area room where I think there were also a couple bowling games ? I don't know or recall offhand whose virtual tables those were. (Possibly from VP-Cabs ? I did happen to see their recent segment on "Shark Tank.") I also don't know if those were supposed to represent the current state of the art -- probably a considerable argument available here on that score ! -- but I did play a few games on them. My reaction was: this is interesting, and may have some potential, but as a veteran player of real, physical pinball, I am not yet really convinced. If I had a collection of around 25 games to work with (** and had enough room for them -- very important **), I might even consider getting one of these. But, short of that, it probably would not be a contender.

In addition to this, in the vendor area at some previous Banning show, I did have an extended conversation with a guy from Farsight / TPA.

I do happen to have an IPAD, but I'm thinking the pinball "experience" on that would be woeful, compared to anything like that full-sized table. One would need some extra hardware for that too, no ? An opportunity to explore rulesets on a bunch of games, without having actual and convenient access to them, could be a different story however.

This thread has mentioned various alternative virtual engines or platforms, which the posters have stated are much superior to TPA.

Here is the crux of what I would like to know, preferably before that looming TPA deadline. ANY virtual pinball game software is worthless to me, unless it could somehow be transferred to something like a VP-Cabs table -- without significant compromise. And what I would tell VP-Cabs (or any competitor of theirs) is that I happen to be **primarily interested** in those 61 (?) B/W games that are being deleted due to those rights issues -- or other notable games of that era that are generally comparable to them. So, even if we were talking about a custom order of your top-of-the-line model, with all desirable options, if I could not obtain those games for it, my answer would definitely be "Forget It, Not Interested !"

I also have no interest in building my own table and populating it. In light of what I said above, does this impending TPA deadline have any relevance for me ? Are / Will other good options for the "classic" B/W games be available, directly applicable to whatever full-size cab offers the best tech and pinball attributes ? If the answer is 'None', or 'Not for the foreseeable future', I'm O.K. with that.

#245 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Will you be able to upgrade to pro post June 30?

Same question here. If I own non-pro B/W tables (on IOS) before June 30, can I upgrade them to the pro version (in game) after June 30?

#246 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Just a heads up guys this is the last week, likely ever, to buy The Pinball Arcade table packs. Last day to buy is this coming Saturday, June 30th. Steam has their summer sale going on right now but per the licensing rules that Farsight mentioned the table packs cannot go on sale.
I'm considering buying all of them before the deadline. Anyone else considering doing this? Its about $210 for all 7 table packs. Table pack 7 is the only one I'm on the fence about not getting.

I think the $210 goes up to $280 if you purchase the pro version of all 7 table packs. Hence some people are asking, if you purchase B/W tables before June 30, can you upgrade them to the Pro version later, after June 30?

#247 5 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

I think the $210 goes up to $280 if you purchase the pro version of all 7 table packs. Hence some people are asking, if you purchase B/W tables before June 30, can you upgrade them to the Pro version later, after June 30?

Exactly. What’s the answer? Anyone?

#248 5 years ago

What's the difference between the regular and Pro versions?

#249 5 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

So, even if we were talking about a custom order of your top-of-the-line model, with all desirable options, if I could not obtain those games for it, my answer would definitely be "Forget It, Not Interested !"

Here are the options-

1. You can buy the season for windows by June 30th. You can do this through Steam. The Pro options gives you the settings/menus of a regular pinball machine. The regular option just gives you the straight game. It gives you their view which is not 100% a cabinet view, but is vertical.

2. The Arcooda update for 150 bucks give you a better cabinet view, but it is only on sale to June 30th. This is for people that already own the seasons.

3. The Arcooda pack gives you the pro seasons + their $150 update. You have 2 options on this. 1. Get one for your own personal cabinet, or purchased commercial cab (VP Cab, Virtual Cab) etc.... it is not optimized for those. Example Bumper and plunger support may or may not work. You basically just get the better view. I've included a video showing the differences between the views.

4. Buy the 500 Arcooda pack that is optimized for their own commercial cab. The 500 bucks is subtracted from the cost of their machine + you get the Timeshock game and shipping to the US.

5. Lastly, there are VPX games that you can download on the internet. Good News - They are good and free. Bad News - Free means that they are illegal. They also take tweaking to get to work right, but they look nice and have the newest tables.

Farsight's software is the only legal software to play the old Bally/Williams games. I also recommend Zen Pinball games, they are really fun.

I actually put a deposit down on the arcooda pack/pinball cabinet. I would have waited, but the June 30th expiration moved up my plans.

Video Pinball is not real pinball, but it is still fun.

#250 5 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Here are the options-
1. You can buy the season for windows by June 30th. You can do this through Steam. The Pro options gives you the settings/menus of a regular pinball machine. The regular option just gives you the straight game. It gives you their view which is not 100% a cabinet view, but is vertical.
2. The Arcooda update for 150 bucks give you a better cabinet view, but it is only on sale to June 30th. This is for people that already own the seasons.
3. The Arcooda pack gives you the pro seasons + their $150 update. You have 2 options on this. 1. Get one for your own personal cabinet, or purchased commercial cab (VP Cab, Virtual Cab) etc.... it is not optimized for those. Example Bumper and plunger support may or may not work. You basically just get the better view. I've included a video showing the differences between the views.

4. Buy the 500 Arcooda pack that is optimized for their own commercial cab. The 500 bucks is subtracted from the cost of their machine + you get the Timeshock game and shipping to the US.
5. Lastly, there are VPX games that you can download on the internet. Good News - They are good and free. Bad News - Free means that they are illegal. They also take tweaking to get to work right, but they look nice and have the newest tables.
Farsight's software is the only legal software to play the old Bally/Williams games. I also recommend Zen Pinball games, they are really fun.
I actually put a deposit down on the arcooda pack/pinball cabinet. I would have waited, but the June 30th expiration moved up my plans.
Video Pinball is not real pinball, but it is still fun.

I wonder if we can add Visual Pinball/Zen/other to the Arcooda cabinet? If not, perhaps the Arcooda software will be better with one’s own pin?

There are 340 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-arcade-announces-it-wont-carry-ballywilliams-tables/page/5?hl=hawknole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.