• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
fester.jpg
Grumpy old man.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

I could personally care less about seeing T2, STTNG, TAF, etc.
The cost of just one of those licenses could pay for the rights to a handful (or more) of great pins:
Congo, Demo Man, BSD, The Shadow, Johnny, etc etc.

then you personally are under no obligation to donate.

personally i don't care about any of those tables you mentioned, but i wouldn't whine if they tried to get them made somehow.

personally i was very very excited to see STTNG, T2, and judging by the success of those kick starters, so were a lot of people. nobody forced anyone to donate. i fully understand that these tables are more expensive to produce due to the licenses, and in order to make it profitable, they are using kickstarter. i don't see why this is making people so angry.

#158 9 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

$55k for TZ and $45k for STTNG kickstarters. $75k+ for TAF seems like a good guess.
I'm a big fan of Pinball Arcade but the kickstarter business model seems wrong.

well, the thing is you have to understand that the options are either Kickstarter TAF versus no TAF, not Kickstarter TAF versus traditional pay model TAF. the upside of Kickstarter is that it allows a lot of things to get created that wouldn't otherwise be economically feasible. i've donated to 5 or 6 Kickstarters and been pretty happy with the results. granted they were pretty high-profile ones from established people in their respective industries. i'm not a fan of the "fund my trip to europe on the premise that i'll eventually write a book or something!" Kickstarters.

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Maybe Apple will have a Kickstarter for the iPhone 7

excellent comparison. the most valuable company on earth is totally comparable to a small software house with maybe a half dozen programmers.

#168 9 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Lighten up Shirly. I was just making a joke.

i was going to make a "...and stop calling me Shirley" joke, but it doesn't work if you're actually calling me Shirley.

#175 9 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

After doing some quick research on Kickstarters, I found an interesting link.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_crowdfunding_projects
Honestly, I was a bit shocked to see how many video game projects have been funded by Kickstarters. It now makes perfect sense to me why TPA has elected to use this funding model. If you can get the masses to pay for your licensing fees, you would be crazy not to do it.

well, a new game is a risky proposition with a lot of unknowns. but at this point in TPA's development, FarSight undoubtedly has a very good idea how many tables they are going to sell of a given title. they probably know if they spend $10k on licensing rights they will still make a profit but if they spend $80k on licensing rights they will lose money (made up numbers, but you get the idea). people hound them every day for TAF, so they are giving people a way to make that happen that results in them not losing money on it. if the people want it badly enough to make it profitable, they will get it.

#188 9 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

They are just greedy bastards.

Revenue is meaningless without knowing their expenses. I can't believe I have to point that out.

#194 9 years ago
Quoted from KoolFingers:

This is true, but if they weren't making a profit would they still be in business?

what does that have to do with anything? like I said, they are saying the license for Addams Family costs more than they would make from selling the table in TPA. posting their yearly revenue doesn't even come close to being relevant to that.

#195 9 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

So start a kickstarter because they cant or dont want to manage their expenses properly like any other business.

what makes you think they're mismanaging expenses? as has been stated a bunch of times:

1. they have said all along that the Addams Family license is expensive to the point that creating the table would not be profitable for them.
2. people hound them every day for TAF.
3. they say "ok, we can do it, if the people want it badly enough to subsidize it".

what is the problem? if you don't want TAF in TPA then don't contribute to the Kickstarter. there's no reason to kick mud on FarSight for trying to find a way to make the table happen.

#199 9 years ago
Quoted from KoolFingers:

Being profitable allows you degrees of freedom you don’t have when you rely upon other people’s money.

producing a product (say, TAF in TPA) that you know will cost more money than it will make is a bad business decision no matter how profitable your company is.

#201 9 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

My statement was driven by how they have handled the previous kickstarters and the pc version and lies and broken promises. Seems like they took the money and ran. I lost interest in their product. They have lost a lot of people over the pc kickstarter thing. Cabinet support was supposed to be out 2 years ago. Maybe more...

I agree with you that cabinet support is one thing they have failed to deliver on, but I don't know what you're talking about regarding "took the money and ran" from the kickstarters. the STTNG, TZ, and T2 tables they produced with that money are among TPA's finest tables.

#203 9 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

What makes you think Adams will not be profitable? Because they said it? Ok.

sure. I mean if you just think they're a bunch of shameless liars, that is your prerogative. but they have consistently said the same thing about every high-profile license since the beginning, and I don't really see any evidence that they're swimming in cash.

#210 9 years ago
Quoted from nate1981s:

How can TAF be licensed and profitable when they can't manage to secure the rights to rerun the playfields due to Raul Julia's estate? Are they removing his likeness from the virtual pin?

we don't know yet. maybe we'll learn more when they launch the kickstarter.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 159.00
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1,059.00
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pawtucket, RI
$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-arcade-announces-expensive-kickstarter?tu=pezpunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.