(Topic ID: 317597)

Pinball and The Middle Finger

By TwinDavid

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I have been playing pinball since the early 70's. I play hard and often. I play with my middle fingers, with exception of the death save or slam... As I get older (I am 58), some games have become just painful to play.

Gottlieb, especially the earlier games, can really be a challenge. For example: I have a '60 Spot a Card. It's completely rebuilt and in mint condition...and completely Gottlieb. It's a whore of a game to begin with, but the flipper buttons are so stiff that I can't play it too long before my fingers begin to ache to no end. My Bally's are better, with the exception of my Twin Win... Another finger f*cker.

I have 2 Williams games (Big Daddy, Heat Wave) that are easy on the digits on which I can play for hours without even thinking about my bird flipping fingers.

Now, I am not new to the hobby, and I have installed new buttons and contacts, springs, etc. But some games like Spot a Card, cripple me. I don't want to convert games with other manufacturers' parts.

I have tried combining my fore and middles fingers, but it freakn alien to me. Like throwing with the wrong hand.

Maybe this is an ode to the aging player and arthritic reality, but I was wondering if I am not alone in the suffrage of the middle finger blues.

#2 1 year ago

I unwind one turn on the flipper button levers spring on the Gottlieb Games of that era. Then remove the buttons and clean the brass insert in the cabinet and polish the button shaft using emery cloth until they are shiny. On reassembly, one drop of thin sysynthetic lube on the button shaft. Also make sure when you push the button on the cabinet in, that the lever arm is only hitting the actuating blade on flipper button switch stack and not bottoming out on the backing bar of the switch stack. You may have to adjust the position of the switch stack blades or the entire switch stack. Good Luck and pm me with addtional questions if needed.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from flipit:

I unwind one turn on the flipper button levers spring on the Gottlieb Games of that era. Then remove the buttons and clean the brass insert in the cabinet and polish the button shaft using emery cloth until they are shiny. On reassembly, one drop of thin sysynthetic lube on the button shaft. Also make sure when you push the button on the cabinet in, that the lever arm is only hitting the actuating blade on flipper button switch stack and not bottoming out on the backing bar of the switch stack. You may have to adjust the position of the switch stack blades or the entire switch stack. Good Luck and pm me with addtional questions if needed.

Thanks, but I did all of the above...

#4 1 year ago

I’ve always played using just my index fingers and I think the angle is easier on them but I understand how changing would be difficult after so many years.

The angle of using the middle finger seems like it would be stressful on the joints, especially with my middle fingers which are a little arthritic at the same age, 58.

#5 1 year ago

I'm younger and don't have the exact same issues, but have noticed that I have less problems when I make a conscious effort not to lean on the machines when I play. Since starting playing at tournaments and in a league I have also noticed quite a few older folks that play wearing what look like those braces bowlers wear on their wrists. Not sure it it would help but something to look into.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-the-middle-finger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.