1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230223_102434 (resized).jpg
20230223_102324 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jesterfunhouse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

My Son just graduated from Air Force basic training at Lackland Airforce Base, San Antonio TX. He grew up helping me work on pinball machines doing the LED's and doing repairs and gained a love for all things mechanical. In High School he asked if he could have a machine to shop out and sell to make money for a band trip to FL. So we worked out a budget and he did all of the work on the machine and sold it minus the parts and cost of the machine to fund his trip. He is going to be doing helicopter maintenance and repair which was inspired by working on pinball machines. While doing a tour of Lackland Air Force base we found this Pinball Airplane. I also posted a picture of the details of this WWII era aircraft. I thought I would share on the forum as I had not heard of this before and wanted to document it. Feel free to post any other pictures, stories and machines related to the Armed Forces.
20230223_102324 (resized).jpg20230223_102324 (resized).jpg20230223_102434 (resized).jpg20230223_102434 (resized).jpg

#3 1 year ago

Thanks for sharing more on it I had no idea these were important training planes till you shared the article. I liked these quotes...

"The Bell Aircraft RP-63 Kingcobra, affectionately called the Flying Pinball Machine because of a red light on its nose that flashed when a student’s bullets hit the airplane, made its greatest contribution to the war effort as a punching bag on the home front."

"Through most of 1945, the Pinball program gave gunnery students their only realistic practice at aerial combat. In all, some 300 P-63s were converted into Pinballs, but the war’s end made them obsolete."

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jesterfunhouse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-the-armed-forces?tu=Jesterfunhouse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.