48 days ago

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 37 days ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

canon15072018 001 (resized).JPG
    canon03032019 003 (resized).JPG
    canon03032019 008 (resized).JPG
    canon03032019 002 (resized).JPG
    TB1 (resized).JPG
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    854C6867-F168-41C8-939D-13FCC35FD1D3 (resized).jpeg
    55621AEB-8297-4331-B72F-902B9C166665 (resized).jpeg
    48712AF3-8BDE-40B4-A416-44AC8C56092D (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schwism.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 48 days ago

I’m retiring the beginning of 2021 and had the same dilemma. Didn’t want to move since we spent a lot of effort getting things the way we wanted. Any more than two pins was going to be a problem plus the setup didn’t allow for long term projects.
    My solution was to buy a man Cave. A 48 by 20 unit with a 15x20 loft, climate controlled. About 10 minutes from home. Not for everyone but better than moving houses. Had 2 pins when pictures were taken, up to 4 going on 5. Still have 2 at home. Plan to swap machines between house and Cave from time to time.

48712AF3-8BDE-40B4-A416-44AC8C56092D (resized).jpeg55621AEB-8297-4331-B72F-902B9C166665 (resized).jpeg854C6867-F168-41C8-939D-13FCC35FD1D3 (resized).jpeg
    #26 48 days ago

I’ll try to answer all questions here.

https://www.garagecondosofok.com/

This is a purchased unit, not a rental. Upside is I cannot lose my lease. I’ll be okay with whatever portion of my investment I get back when I sell.

Unit comes with a utility sink in the back corner (see pictures). Bathroom can be installed but there is a clubhouse about 100 feet from my unit with bathroom and shower (also a place for small parties/barbecues).

My unit ran 91K (Oklahoma prices). This gets you the unit with heat, electrical and sink. Add ons such as the loft, epoxy floor and A/C plus a few electrical upgrades added 18K or so which puts me in the 110 range. Dues run around $600/yr. Property is gated with 24/7 access.

My unit is one in a building with 20 units (10 units back to back). Garage door is RV sized and back of unit is tall enough to easily accommodate the loft.

It’s an interesting concept which hopefully will catch on. Complex will ultimately have 85 units when completed. About 25 have been built and most are spoken for.

Hope that covers everything.

#28 48 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What are your association fees?
    Does that $600 a year cover everything?

That gets me use of clubhouse with restrooms and insurance on the exterior. I have to cover insurance on contents.

#30 48 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You could actually live in a place like that.
    After the divorce my dad just lived on his boat because the dock fees were way less than renting an apartment and they had the showers, clubhouse and everything all included.

It’s not zoned as such but you are correct. I have a refrigerator and microwave. It’s plenty comfy in there.

#49 47 days ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Thanks for sharing this. I don't know why I forgot, but a few years back I met a guy who was redeveloping land in Detroit to do the same for car enthusiasts. I was there when the community was just at phase 1. Amazing what it is now. Check this out https://m1concourse.com/private-garages/
    We need some wealthy entrepreneur pinball guys to do the same. Imagine a community or club where people get these private garages for all different types of hobbies. How awesome to walk garage to garage to play each others collections, check out collectible action figures, artwork, music, lions and tigers and bears oh my! But, then I look at how much some of these units cost and I go back to drinking my coffee and thinking of the next big idea. We all need room for this hobby. Anyone have ideas in Chicago area hit me up. Until then, good reading thread.

Agreed. Originally the developer focused on car guys but has expanded his advertising. We have at least two musicians in the complex. I’d certainly like to have a pinhead or two come in.

#65 45 days ago
    Quoted from wayner:

Life begins after retirement! Developed my collection after retirement and found that restoring machines at home in a double garage was not particularly convenient and limited what could be accomplished. So similar to schwism I purchased a small factory unit 5mins from home and really enjoy in retirement the separation of hobby and home (I am conscious that is not for everyone) and spend most days at The Factory interacting with businesses in the block of 6 units and doing what I want without worry about noise, equipment use and flexibility on machine purchase.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

That’s a great setup! I’m well behind you on decorating but hopefully will catch up in time.

I think another plus to the separation is just getting out of the house on a regular basis. Much better for getting out and chatting with folks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    £ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 89.99
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 0.35
    $ 140.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    € 4.20
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 3.00
    Cabinet Parts
    BK Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schwism.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside