Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

canon15072018 001 (resized).JPG
    canon03032019 003 (resized).JPG
    canon03032019 008 (resized).JPG
    canon03032019 002 (resized).JPG
    TB1 (resized).JPG
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    854C6867-F168-41C8-939D-13FCC35FD1D3 (resized).jpeg
    55621AEB-8297-4331-B72F-902B9C166665 (resized).jpeg
    48712AF3-8BDE-40B4-A416-44AC8C56092D (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider marksf123.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I am trying to retire in the next 18 mos and although I am not 60 yet I am struggling with what my collection will look like going forward. I realize with the current cost of games that I cant keep buying them and wanting to retire at the same time. I also am limited on space and thought about buying a bigger house so I can have a bigger collection but not sure that will make sense either. I currently have my games in my air conditioned garage but I am out of space. I need to have my games in a confined game room as I dont like them spread across the house.

I was thinking about swapping my AFM for a DP Premium and I have a ACNC on order. I was also thinking about trying to sell my spot on the ACNC to save money and also I find my pinball skills are not getting any better as I get older and wondering now if ACNC will be too hard. I have a hard time trading out games (not sure why.

How are other in retirement or getting older dealing with their pinball collection? Do others start finding some of the games getting harder?

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

I am here to bring some brotherly tough love and reasonable advice

Yea - that is good advice.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I dont think that buying a bigger space makes sense.

Buying the bigger house was not all pinball related. I wanted a bigger backyard. My current backyard is mostly taken up by a pool. When I bought the house I had an older dog that passed away and now I have 2 dogs (Collie and Sheltie) that are 1 yr old and I would like a bigger space for the to play. Also wanted to go from a 2 story to a 1 story. My current house is pretty nice in a gated community but it needs an updated Mstr Bathroom and hurricane window/shutters. By the time I put everything into it I probably could buy a house out a little more west of the ocean for not much more money and while I was at it could have a better game room.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from schwism:

A 48 by 20 unit with a 15x20 loft, climate controlled.

May I ask how much something like that costs? I actually could build something like that at my Mom's house who lives on 1 acre. My mom actually already stores my boat and camper at her house now.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Not thinking about a bigger house either as 1475 square feet plus a two car garage are more than enough for me to take care of.

I was never really sure what part of California you lived in but I moved from San Diego and bought a house that was a little bigger than my San Diego home for 1/2 the price in Fl. That was one of my biggest pieces to my retirement strategy. I think San Diego is nicer but South FL is not bad either. Also no state tax here.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

This looks like a rented storage unit

Yes, i noticed in the last picture it looks like a rented unit. I would be more interested in learning how much it cost for a stand alone unit.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

I had the same problem as well!! We sold our house in Redding and bought a bigger one out here in Palo Cedro!!

And to think I already thought Redding was in the country.... but I agree there is something for having some space between the houses. I used to want to be so close to everything but now 1 acre of land sounds nice.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

This is a great idea. When I retire will move to Florida currently have a second house in Florida but no gameroom.

I guess my other piece of information is that my house with all my pins is in Palm Beach Gardens, FL and I work in Orlando, FL. So I go to PBG on weekends only and have an apartment in Orlando. So, I could sell the PBG home and put my stuff in storage for a 8 or 9 mos while the house is being built and save on the mortgage during most of that time. I know I could also rent the house out which is what I did for a year but that was really a PITA with the renters and the renter was a doctor. I don't want to go through that again.

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from BrewersArcade:

If you're retiring and that creates a situation where you can't afford the things you want after retirement then you didn't plan out your retirement very well. Better keep working and saving.

Don't worry about me, I planned all my working career for my retirement.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider marksf123.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-retirement?tu=marksf123 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.