Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Rando
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

matt.jpg
    matt2.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

i love seein kids getting into pinball, and having fun. you can just see that look of interest and awe in their eyes when they play..

here's my beef with this younger generation;

why don't they know about pinball????

i was recently playing a couple of my pins on location for a couple hours today, and lots of kids were comming in/through. i normally put credits on the machines whenever i'm in just for employees or kids to get some free games on. i couldn't believe what the hell i saw today. i'm talking like 10 year old kids, with iq's of 80. first off, do kids read instructions or even look at the displays? one kid kept pulling the plunger the whole game (ball in play), while another kid just kept repeatedly pounded on the flippers during gameplay (both) regardless of where the ball was. i tried to explain to them whats going on, what to do, recommendations..etc. it seems kids these days just don't want to listen to anyone. a couple said "how much a game?" i said free now, they were super stoked and started playing a 2 player game...i basically had to tell them all about pinball etiquette and just the basic rules (each player gets 3 balls, when your ball is over its the other players turn). after 2 games of them pounding on my tron i finally just pushed them out of the way and said good try, keep practicing and it's my turn.

i hate to act like that, but jesus. don't parents teach children to respect anything or anyone these days? sad to say, i just don't think this 'yadda yadda yadda' generation is going to keep the pinball lifestyle and tradition going after us younger guys (i'm 33) get older.

just venting, i can't stand when people pound on your machines on location

#2 12 years ago

My 5 year old loves the pinball.. he gets into the older cabinet games as well. Just today he was playing GnR while I played Tron right beside him and he screamed out "MULTIIIII-BAAAALLLLLL" at the top of his lungs. Of course, we were the only people in the joint. Proud father.

#3 12 years ago
    Quoted from mystic:

he screamed out "MULTIIIII-BAAAALLLLLL

thats awesome. that's what i'm talking about (on the good side of the little guys). we need more parents to do fun and interactive past times with their children. props to mystic.

#4 12 years ago

My gf's three-year-old loves my pins. It's so fun to hear him exclaim "I'll be back!" over and over after a game of T2.

#5 12 years ago

We watch my wife's friends (8 and 11 year olds.) They love coming over to play the pins. They are good kids and have no problem leaving them alone with the pins.
    I say its the parents. Few people in America take responsibility for anything these days, especially their kids.

#6 12 years ago

Some parents just think pinball is for kids. I've had them over here and some of them shoot one or two balls get bored and go to another pin and another etc. In the meantime the machine is banging away doing a ball search. At other times I've seen them just pressing the flipper buttons over and over with no ball in play - bored. When I say something a parent gets ticked off like they are high end toys for children. I tell them to take their kid to the wild and find route machines or buy your kid a pin of their own. A few kids come over and their parents watch them like a hawk. Once in awhile a kid shows up that really takes to it. Not too long ago a 12 yr old girl came over that was crazy about pinball and she wanted to stay longer. As a general rule I try to keep kids less than 10 yrs out. Maybe it's the attention span or all the X-Box, Nintendo and WE games they already own plus all the hand held’s. That's just my experience.

#7 12 years ago

My brothers 10 yr old son doesn't really care...he plays one game and is gone. I try to get him into it but...I guess it's not for some kids. For that matter it's not for some adults either.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from Loupie:

Maybe it's the attention span

ya,
    that totally hit the nail on the head.

#9 12 years ago

I get a great mix at the golf course. When the kids are out to "mini golf" (yes, we have THAT, too) they frequently go bats*** when they see the pins and sidetrack themselves for a minute or 5.

On wedding nights, (yes, we do THAT, TOO!!) it's the guys...escaping the dance floor to have a few cold ones while they play the silver ball...

#10 12 years ago

My 3 year old loves to play and his 6 year old brother cheers him on! My youngest did the "multi-ball" cheer the other day and I thought it was awesome!!!

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from Loupie:

As a general rule I try to keep kids less than 10 yrs out. Maybe it's the attention span or all the X-Box, Nintendo and WE games they already own plus all the hand held’s.

I think parents should give their kids a pin before a X-box or PlayStation because it may give kids interest in pinball.

#12 12 years ago

My 3 year old grand daughter LOVES playing, but it makes me cringe with the constant flipper pushing and nasty, sticky fingers on the glass. I am seriously thinking about buying her a Zizzle POTC.

#13 12 years ago

Kids today are really stupid (or a lot of them are)...

Thats what too much TV and too early exposure to electronic videogames do, IMO. Kids seem to have zero interest in knowing what they're doing, and just expect to stand in front of something and flail on it and have fun. I was crap at pinball at that age, and it wasn't much fun because I lost so fast, but I knew how you were supposed to play!

I've never seen a kid playing pinball machine on location without a parent telling them what to do I see lots of them pretending to play, or assaulting the plungers.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from DrAzzy:

Kids today are really stupid (or a lot of them are)...

Thats what too much TV and too early exposure to the internet do, IMO.

It's not just the kids, it's the parents as well.

#15 12 years ago

"I've never seen a kid playing pinball machine on location without a parent telling them what to do [] I see lots of them pretending to play, or assaulting the plungers. "

Maybe it's different in my house because I own two.. in fact, I'm sure it is. You're right, most kids wouldn't know what to do with a plunger. However, my kid knows not to hit both flippers at once (ever) and even traps the ball consistently and aims his shots.. freakin' bobby fisher of pinball he is.. come see the wonder! $5 a head!

#16 12 years ago

Yeah theres no arcades anymore, as a child I played them when my daycare went on field trips like the skating ring and bowling alleys. Evertime I saw a pin and the playfield looked cool I had to play it.

#17 12 years ago

I had a fund raiser and saw a kid using a pop can to hit the flipper button and to force the plunger in real hard. A parent gets mad at me for saying something. I've did a few things in the past to discourage kids from coming in my basement, so I don't have to say something to the parent.
    - A "2 Live Crew" CD on the jukebox "Nasty As We Wanna Be" when I play it the game room clears out.
    - Photo's of nude women on the wall or in the apron. When the parents see that, they leave the kids at home or get them out.
    - A pair of hand cuffs lag bolted into a stud with one end open. I've got the key.
    Yea, I know these are extreme measures. I tell people all the time. Sorry, I have no toys for children, I have no play area for children and I have no one to watch your children.
    It all has to do with respect. I have no route guy that comes around here to replace parts or do cab work.

#18 12 years ago

I will go one step futher and say that the younger generations of today are just
    "button mashers". They're use to console gaming, and for them pinball in it's simplicity
    is too complex for them to grasp.

Too complex because it actually forces them to pay attention to what's going on. Alot of
    kids today have the attention span of a knat. Laziness also comes into play here.

Pinball requires one to stand on their feet. Console gaming allows them to sit on their ass, not much physical exercise going on when you're sitting on the couch mashing buttons on an
    XBOX360 or PS3.

For the young children and kids that "get it" with pinball, I salute you. For the one's that
    don't, go back to your console and let it rot your mind.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from Loupie:

A "2 Live Crew" CD on the jukebox "Nasty As We Wanna Be

that's a great idea. i've got the double LP vinyl..lol seriously..

#20 12 years ago

My four year old loves playing my machines!

#21 12 years ago

I have two sons. 5 and 8. They both play my STTNG daily, about 3 games. After I walked em through it the first couple times, they got it. It's awesome now watching them actually aiming shots, and shooting lit targets. You can just see their little minds engaged, eyes on the ball. They're doing better and better.

What's awesome is, if their doing decent on STTNG, I can't wait to get a simpler pin. They should kick ass on that.

I love it when they come up to me, "Dad, can we play pinball?"

3 years later
    #22 8 years ago

My 5yr old nephew enjoying some TOM this weekend...

matt2.jpgmatt2.jpg

"How do they always go SDTM?"
    matt.jpgmatt.jpg

#23 8 years ago

I had a couple 7 and 8 year old girls over my house yesterday, they'd never seen a Pinball machine much less played one.

They're not the most intuitive things a first glance. It's not always clear how to start the game up, and once you do gameplay/rules doesn't always make sense. I saw a post about Mustang earlier today and the guy posting said he put about 30 games on the machine and was just beginning to get an idea of what how he was supposed to be playing.

Older machines probably play better for kids, but the newer ones have more lights and sounds to attract them, but the goal of playing (other than to keep the ball in play) isn't particularly clear.

After a few games the girls moved to my MAME machine and Frogger made the most sense, as that's similar to Crossy Road.

My kids are starting to get it, but other kids, no exposure, no clue.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-kids and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.