Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by NimblePin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BenWa.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    shop.jpeg
    Huuhh.jpeg
    mary-ann.jpg
    Ginger.jpeg
    #1 12 years ago

Comedians have an unwritten rule that says, "Once you tell your joke on tv that joke is done". Thats why you don't see comedians going around telling the same jokes. Or at least the good one's don't.
    When you hear a joke for the first time it's funny. Each time you hear it, it gets less funny until it's just not funny anymore.

I feel that Pinball machines that depend on humor lack sustainability. Once you've heard all the jokes the games loses something. A game thats really really fun to play the first few times gets less and less fun because the jokes get old. Then all your left with is the gameplay....and it better be good or out the door it goes.

Why do I say this?
    Because CP was the funnest games I've ever played.....was.
    It's days are numbered. I wish I had room for more. I would love to keep it but I just don't think it will make the cut.

Now if it could tell different jokes every time I played it....I'd keep it forever. But it doesn't.

#2 12 years ago

I feel the same way...
    Only with pictures!

(Young NP hard at work...)

images.jpegimages.jpeg

So does that mean a NEW avatar as well wesperron?

#3 12 years ago

True,
    sometimes you have to change up the line and stow away a game or two for a year
    then bring it back when the replacement gets old .

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

So does that mean a NEW Avatar as well wesperron?

I kinda like this one....we'll see.

#5 12 years ago

Well it is kind of a staple around here...
    "To Photoshop or not to Photoshop THAT is the question!"

Plus everyone loves a "Ginger"... Right BD???

Ginger.jpegGinger.jpeg

#6 12 years ago

I think BD would choose Mary Ann.

mary-ann.jpgmary-ann.jpg

#7 12 years ago

Knowing BD- he would probably "Daisy-Chain" Ginger, Mary Ann AND Mrs Howell!!

SKIPPEERRRRRR!

Huuhh.jpegHuuhh.jpeg

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from wesperron:

Now if it could tell different jokes every time I played it....I'd keep it forever. But it doesn't.

Should make a pin with USB support, so you could uplaod new jokes/audio every now and then.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Who wouldn't, I would!!! I could make Mrs. Howell beg for it!!!

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

You mean like in The Human Centipede?

#11 12 years ago

Oh yeah ... can't just have one ... after all those years Mrs. Howell woulda already been had a few times. You all know me way to well

BTW I had a "hard" time not posting even fake naked pics of all of them.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from ThePostmaster:

Should make a pin with USB support, so you could uplaod new jokes/audio every now and then.

They have that. I think there might be a market for software update packs, which change the rules, add new music and sounds, and new video.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from ThePostmaster:

The usb jack for updates, I mean.

#14 12 years ago

I've often wondered if there is any way to get my hands on some pinball source code and maybe balance out the scoring on FT or fix the stupid LED "ghosting" issue. It'd be fun to play around with! A customizable pin where you could upload your own sounds and background music would kick ass!

To me, with the possible exception of WOZ, it seems like pinball machines are still made the same as they were 20 years ago and that's a shame. With the advent of cheap memory, LCD's, audio and video compression, high speed processors, etc., you'd think they'd make them more like today's PC's with a modern operating system and an endless repertoire of sounds and music. I mean, I can go out and buy a cheap MP3 player for 20 bucks that will play for hours without repeating itself so why can't a pinball machine do the same thing? Also, give it a USB port inside the coin door where I can plug in my laptop and go to town!

#16 12 years ago

I hear ya Wes. The first time I played CP, I thought that I was going to love it forever. It still stands as a very impressive and unique technical machine, but the amount of fun you have can deteriorates fairly rapidly because of repeat humor. Still a game I recommend to non-pin players as it never fails to impress and open their minds to pinball.

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

To me, with the possible exception of WOZ, it seems like pinball machines are still made the same as they were 20 years ago and that's a shame. With the advent of cheap memory, LCD's, audio and video compression, High Speed processors, etc., you'd think they'd make them more like today's PC's with a modern operating system and an endless repertoire of sounds and music. I mean, I can go out and buy a cheap MP3 player for 20 bucks that will play for hours without repeating itself so why can't a pinball machine do the same thing? Also, give it a USB port inside the coin door where I can plug in my laptop and go to town!

Sounds a little like pin2k to me... nucore has taken some steps as an aftermarket vendor. But for pre-1999 games, I am surprised nobody has reverse engineered the various boards to allow bugfixes / enhancements (sign me up for ball save on TAF). To wesperron's original point, the humor in RFM is good, but some of it is very dated (Clinton: "I feel your pain, martians"). Network enabled, official updates would have been awesome!

#18 12 years ago

1. Mrs. Howell all the way.

2. IMO. Updateable pinball machines is a brilliant idea, but I doubt it will happen. It seems like the pinball world, for fans and designers, is a closed loop of technology. Those who grew up playing pinball are a dying breed and those who design the games are even rarer.

And no, it's not like PinBall2000 to incorporate new technologies, primarily because pinball isn't at the peak of its popularity on an unknowingly cumilative decline and under the blade of a large gaming label. There's no pressure to survive. Pinball, for the masses, died a long time ago and whoever and whatever is left is a direct result of that passing.

Pinball today is in the hands of those who love it and those hands are not young or poor or hungry for sucesses or legacy. If pinball is going to change then you all know who's directly responsible for that change, there's only one company in the world still making pinball machines and there's only a few old bastards still buying them.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from FredJockson:

... there's only one company in the world still making pinball machines.

Only one? Hmmm, let's count ...

1) Stern
    2) Jersey Jack
    3) MarsaPlay
    4) Retro Pinball

That's four off the top of my head.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

FredJockson said:

... there's only one company in the world still making pinball machines.

Only one? Hmmm, let's count ...

1) Stern
    2) Jersey Jack
    3) MarsaPlay
    4) Retro Pinball

That's four off the top of my head. []

Sorry fred, nothing gets by gweem.

#21 12 years ago

What ever happened to MarsaPlay anyway?
    I remember Pinball News had a story about a Soccer pin and what looked like a room full of pins.
    Anyone in Europe playing these games yet?

#22 12 years ago

Are you talking about Canasta? That was/is a Basketball pin.

#23 12 years ago

You know SC I think it was Canasta.....how the heck did I mix up basketball with football?
    must be my age catching up

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

What ever happened to MarsaPlay anyway?

I don't know how many Canasta machines were made, but they're definitely out there. Since it's a Spanish company, I doubt we'll ever see very many of them on this side of the pond. Here's a short video of the gameplay:

As far as Retro Pinball, the first King of Diamond machines should be making their way to customers any day now:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/badc4b91a49dc728/ca701d59bf503e63?lnk=gst&q=king+of+diamonds#ca701d59bf503e63

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from FredJockson:

Pinball today is in the hands of those who love it and those hands are not young or poor or hungry for sucesses or legacy. If pinball is going to change then you all know who's directly responsible for that change, there's only one company in the world still making pinball machines and there's only a few old bastards still buying them.

There's actually a lot of innovation going on in pinball, just not where traditional pinball enthusiasts tend to look.

Pinball on the consoles has been selling in the the hundreds of thousands. Pinball HD for the iPad was a leading seller when the iPad was launched. Future pinball has made huge strides in the last three years.

PCs and their graphics cards are getting so powerful these days that they're able to do an incredible amount of real-time physics processing. It's just a matter of time before the virtual experience is "close enough".

#26 12 years ago

It's just a matter of time before the virtual experience is "close enough".

That is why you are seeing so many of us either adding or thinking about adding a "Virtual Pin" to the lineup. The software and graphics are really coming along nicely. Now if the real time physics were an even match coupled with lets say- the PS3/360 'Williams Collection' graphics I think everyone "WOOD" be scrambling to take shop class again...

shop.jpegshop.jpeg

I will be trying my hand at one in the near future...
    Right after I get tired of playing TRON or eventually beating LOTR.
    Hopefully by then the technology will be ready to go!

Oh and WOZ too..!

#27 12 years ago

I like the Williams collection and I even bought the gottlieb one just to encourage more collections to be released. But even digital pinball must not be making money or there would be more series released.

Pinball HD is horrible! It feels nothing like pinball, at least the Williams collection feels good to play.

That said, I'm still excited when I get to play a physical MM. I am looking to build a PinMame rig in the near future, but it's more for fun and lack of space and could never replace real games for me.

#28 12 years ago

Nice vid of Canasta gweempose,
    I like how they have a switch in the lanes that change the PF lighting
    but not too fond of the light box scoring in the center like that.

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinbob:

But even digital pinball must not be making money or there would be more series released.

Unfortunately that was the doing of Crave and Farsight.
    Both companies are small compared to the rest and they don't always have the greatest track record to get more funds together. Most people would say "Sleeper Hit" for the collection anyway. That never gets more money.
    We were lucky to have the newer Williams collection as it is... To get MM and TOTAN- WITH updated graphics that was an awesome day for me seeing MM on the cover.
    I usually play the "Williams Challenge" just before bed.

#30 12 years ago

I got the xbox with the MM and Totan. I bring it with me on vacations but when I'm home....it never gets touched.

There's something about watching the real balls roll around that I like.

Ok, I served one up for ya there NP.

#31 12 years ago

Uhhhh...
    Turn your head and cough...

images.jpegimages.jpeg

I am too sober already!
    Give me an hour...

O.K.
    (Woman twirling balls around "Ben Wa" style...)

"I feel SOooo Centered!"

BenWa.jpegBenWa.jpeg

There!
    Happy now wes!?!

#32 12 years ago

I'm laughing to much to type......Boy she looks happy. Look at that smile!

Thanks I needed that. I'm happy now.
    what did you have to drink to come up with that one?

this thread is done now.

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from wesperron:

what did you have to drink to come up with that one?

Why the old classic "Shirley Russian" of course!!!

This thread is officially CLOSED!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-humor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.