Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 136 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Hazoff
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

e4c61ed27e202b4982de22da2896d14e776ff7c5 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1647 (resized).jpg
    WP_20160203_15_28_23_Pro_(resized).jpg
    WP_20160203_14_56_36_Pro_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IMG_0992_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpg
    IMG_0844_(resized).JPG
    IMG_0845_(resized).JPG
    IMG_0843_(resized).JPG
    IMG_0841_(resized).JPG
    IMG_0837_(resized).JPG
    IMG_0836_(resized).JPG
    IMG_0835_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpg
    There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 8 years ago

I've noticed that almost every pinhead I meet is also into guitars. I can't count the amount of times that I've gone out to look at a game and then ended up talking guitars all night. Or I go to buy a guitar off craigslist and find it sitting next to pinball machine. Is it a throwback to the 50's where pins and rock and roll were cool? So, how many of you also collect guitars?

20150221_120804.jpg20150221_120804.jpg
    #2 8 years ago

Yup - pinhead and guitar builder...

#3 8 years ago

I don't collect guitars, but I play and have obtained a number of them over the years. Nothing fancy though.

#4 8 years ago

I wouldn't say I collect them, but I am a longtime guitar player and used to play professionally in a popular regional cover band. Right now, the current herd of axes includes a PRS CE24, PRS Swamp Ash Special, Fender Powerhouse Strat, modified MIM Fender Tele, Fender Jazz Bass, Ibanez SR series bass, Taylor 110E acoustic and Ovation Celebrity acoustic. My amps are a 1973 Silverface Twin blackface modded downstairs in the music room and 1972 Silverace Pro Reverb blackface modded upstairs for practice -- nothing sounds better than a hand wired Fender amp to me with some wet verb and dialing overdrive in via a good pedal.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmieczko:

Yup - pinhead and guitar builder...

SWEET!!
    My guitar is a Sparrow Primitive built by Billy Bones, who ironically enough, I met while selling my DE Checkpoint.
    He's also a builder and pin collector.
    Hoping he's a pinsider too so he can post some pics of his stuff.

#6 8 years ago

Yup.

My baby is a '58 Gibson ES-125, single P90 Hummbucker. Probably another 6 or 8 various around the house.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

My amps are a 1973 Silverface Twin blackface modded downstairs in the music room and 1972 Silverace Pro Reverb blackface modded upstairs for practice -- nothing sounds better than a hand wired Fender amp to me with some wet verb and dialing overdrive in via a good pedal.

A 69 silverface was my main amp for a decade, and I got tired of hauling it around and built a weber 6a14HP and I like that even more, believe it or not. If you like the princeton reverb amps, it is that on steroids (uses 2 6L6's) so it is essentially 1/2 a twin reverb. I don't think I ever turned my twin up past 3 1/2.

Highly recommended amp, easy build. Just gotta use better Pots and Tubes than they provide you: https://www.flickr.com/photos/33480248@N05/sets/72157625692144843

#8 8 years ago

Not a collector, but I own two guitars.

#9 8 years ago

So that's how you guys all have big collections... you don't play an instrument which takes up a 1/4 of your basement.

IMG_8423.PNGIMG_8423.PNG

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

So that's how you guys all have big collections... you don't play an instrument which takes up a 1/4 of your basement.
    IMG_8423.PNG

I feel you there. I started life as a drummer. My DW kit resides at the band rehearsal space/recording studio. I have this little Traps shell-less kit for banging around in my basement. It folds up, doesn't sound too shabby, about 1/2 the volume of a normal kit, coupled with hot-rods it is like 1/4 the volume and I can actually play in my townhome basement without getting calls to the cops.
    download.jpgdownload.jpg

#11 8 years ago

Yes me too, played all my life in many bands and didn't make much but got lots of free beer!
    I have Les Paul Custom 1979, Fender Tele 65 reiisue, Gretch Hollow body electric, Epiphone Gold Top, Fender Jazzmaster, and a few acoustics and a classical as well. Amps, Ampeg Reverberocket 2x12, Bugera 15, and a couple cheepos. Still play almost everyday in fact more than I play Pinball. They do seem to go together though!

#12 8 years ago

Not a collecter but I do have a few even my very first guitar in 86 that I bought from creative music in Langley

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

IMG_8423.PNG

I'd have room for about 5 more pins in the gameroom if I didn't have all my music gear setup. I like being able to have jam sessions at the house though. Always needing more space!

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

I'd have room for about 5 more pins in the gameroom if I didn't have all my music gear setup. I like being able to have jam sessions at the house though. Always needing more space!

I as well, my music stuff takes up 3/4 of my basement.

#15 8 years ago

I'm not a trained musician but I LOVE HEAVY METAL and most of its sub-genres!

Also, I'm a B.C.Rich fan (blame Motley Crue and SLAYER)!

Will post some pics of my toys when I get back from work!

#16 8 years ago

Ive been playing for 20 years, but I have to admit, I definately slowed down when I discovered pinball. I was on cl recently for the heck of it, and found a mint Japanese Charvel so cal Pro mod white with a maple board and ever since, I've been back into it hardcore. My biggest inspirations are Jason Becker first and foremost, followed by Yngwie Malmsteen, Ritchie Kotzen, Jeff Loomis, Per Nilson. You guys ever heard of a .Strandberg? Thats my new shredder shipping as soon as its done being built.

#17 8 years ago

Yep, I have several, not really a collector, a player.....just like pinball.

Maybe its a shared interest because we are all just that cool.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from rustybomber79:

YEAH! This thread is way much cooler than the "pinball and watches" thread! bleargh.....

#19 8 years ago

No kidding!!! Haha

#20 8 years ago

The Fender guitar factory was a couple of blocks from where I grew up and there were also several arcades with lots of pinball machines, so yes they do go together like water and oil.

#21 8 years ago

Here's my Baby. 1932 Gibson L-2. It was my grandfathers, built in Kalamazoo,MI. Plays great and looks even better.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-707.jpgimage-707.jpg
    #22 8 years ago

Your baby needs a new set of strings!

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from rustybomber79:

That, or the fact that like 50% of men have own a guitar or learned to play one at one point (usually in college, for girls). Sadly, it did work, as cliche and lame as it sounds.

#24 8 years ago

I started playing guitar and bass in April 2013. I've managed to keep the "collection" down to a Squier Tele Standard and an Epiphone G400 SG, both of which play and feel great considering their modest prices. I also have a cheapo Jay Turser-branded MusicMan Stingray bass copy, but my heart currently belongs to my Epiphone EB3 SG bass with nylon wound strings. It looks, sounds and plays like an absolute dream and I recommend it highly to any bass lover.

I look at the local kijiji ads daily, but never pull the trigger because a) I don't play that well (yet) and b) I can see this obsession easily rivaling pinball in no time. I have to consciously tell myself "you don't need that" and it seems to be working so far.

Guitars.jpgGuitars.jpg
    #25 8 years ago

I'm learning right now using Rocksmith on the Xbox one. It's awesome. I went from not knowing anything 6 months ago to owning a few different guitars to try out, see what I like. Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus is probably my best one, I don't have anything that extravagant. Want to try out a Gibson SG sometime.

#26 8 years ago

Paul Reed Smith.

#27 8 years ago

I used to collect in my 20's when I was actively in a band. Had a bunch of different guitars over the years including a couple of LP's and a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III. The one that is still with me though is my '94 Gibson LP Studio. It plays and sounds better than any standard or custom I have ever owned or played. Not the prettiest, but my favorite. I also still have a Gibson Marauder and an American Tele.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

I used to collect in my 20's when I was actively in a band. Had a bunch of different guitars over the years including a couple of LP's and a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III. The one that is still with me though is my '94 Gibson LP Studio. It plays and sounds better than any standard or custom I have ever owned or played. Not the prettiest, but my favorite. I also still have a Gibson Marauder and an American Tele.

The best Les Paul I ever played from both a playability and sound standpoint was actually a 95' LP Studio and I've played all the high end models before, but nothing touched that Studio. Sold it a couple years ago due to lack of play and trying to thin down, still miss it somedays because it'd be hard to replace if I ever want another LP.

#29 8 years ago

Ack, take that back, mine is a '95 as well. It had been so long since I had looked at it I double checked. Sure enough it is a '95. Wine Red color. It was at the time when the Studio's came with black trim and hardware. Pretty ugly. I swapped out all of the black for ivory. Looks much better.

#30 8 years ago

I have a G&L, Gretsch and an Ibanez along with a few acoustics and a drumkit.

Yeah, guitars can get expensive but I'm about to spend a lot of money on soundproof insulation and drywall. Then there are high end microphones, recording gear, and on and on. Never enough time or money.

#31 8 years ago

I have about a dozen or so, but this one is particularly special. My band seniors pitched in and bought it for me at our final concert this year.IMG_20150515_235429599.jpgIMG_20150515_235429599.jpg
    This, my Gretsch that my uncle passed down to me, and my favorite American Strat will never leave.

#32 8 years ago

Now you guys are talking my language. We've had a rehearsal/recording space for almost 30 years. In the last few years, pinball machines have started appearing
    Here's a pic from the front door. In the foreground is the mini B3 organ and the "spin haus" rotating speaker setup we built for it (Just like a Leslie). To the left is the piano. In the back there is the Vice Lounge (Speakeasy, Blackjack, Old Chicago among other vices). That's the ping pong arena toward the back on the left. Upstairs is the EM Lounge (6 machines), the foozball, the shop, and the Great Balls o Fire room (Fireball 2 and Meteor).
    2015-03-06 21.20.16.jpg2015-03-06 21.20.16.jpg
    We rock at least every Tuesday night. Every one. One of our customs is that you have to switch instruments every set... Try riffing some rock on an electric mandolin baby... the Mandocaster!

I also worked @ Ernie Ball for years, back when they first bought MusicMan geetars. Ernie's grandson, who runs the company now, was in my seventh grade class. Helped build a few custom 5 string guitars for Keef and managed to almost wreck Steve Morse's Strat way back in the day. ALso built EB volume pedals and wound strings.

#33 8 years ago

That studio looks awesome.

Roating speakers are completely orgasmic. NOTHING sounds better than a bigass Leslie rotating dresser hooked up loud to a beefy Hammond.

#34 8 years ago

I don't collect, but I do play. Even though, the amount I play has dropped off drastically since getting into pinball

#35 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpgHappens over here in Australia too. Mainly a classical guitar player (3 of them), but keep wishing I could rock, so have a 1st Ed Gibson Robot guitar, and needed to get a Fender as well - sort of like doing the Williams/Stern thing to keep life balanced. I'm not great on rocking out, so got a spider jam 6 amp to add effects and tracks. Bit of fun.

#36 8 years ago

I have 2 1982 BC Rich axes. A Warlock and a Mockingbird. Both USA neck thru. Warlock has one humbucker w/pre amp boost and the bird has full active electronics. Also have a couple of Jackson Randy Rhoads models...............

#37 8 years ago

Screenshot_2015-06-17-17-53-29.pngScreenshot_2015-06-17-17-53-29.png

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Now you guys are talking my language. We've had a rehearsal/recording space for almost 30 years. In the last few years, pinball machines have started appearing
    Here's a pic from the front door. In the foreground is the mini B3 organ and the "spin haus" rotating speaker setup we built for it (Just like a Leslie). To the left is the piano. In the back there is the Vice Lounge (Speakeasy, Blackjack, Old Chicago among other vices). That's the ping pong arena toward the back on the left. Upstairs is the EM Lounge (6 machines), the foozball, the shop, and the Great Balls o Fire room (Fireball 2 and Meteor).
    2015-03-06 21.20.16.jpg
    We rock at least every Tuesday night. Every one. One of our customs is that you have to switch instruments every set... Try riffing some rock on an electric mandolin baby... the Mandocaster!
    I also worked @ Ernie Ball for years, back when they first bought MusicMan geetars. Ernie's grandson, who runs the company now, was in my seventh grade class. Helped build a few custom 5 string guitars for Keef and managed to almost wreck Steve Morse's Strat way back in the day. ALso built EB volume pedals and wound strings.

Amazing!!!! Let us see the pinballs as well, specially the EM's! CONGRATS!!!!

#39 8 years ago

Pinballs and Guitars:

20150617_185631.jpg20150617_185631.jpg 20150617_185647.jpg20150617_185647.jpg 20150617_185705.jpg20150617_185705.jpg
    #40 8 years ago
    Quoted from dendoc:

Happens over here in Australia too. Mainly a classical guitar player (3 of them), but keep wishing I could rock, so have a 1st Ed Gibson Robot guitar, and needed to get a Fender as well - sort of like doing the Williams/Stern thing to keep life balanced. I'm not great on rocking out, so got a spider jam 6 amp to add effects and tracks. Bit of fun.

I initially went the Fender and Gibson route. Got my first guitar when in 1995 when I was 10...a MIM strat that I still have,so not quite a Fender USA, but they made them particularly well around that time. Later I got a Gibson Les Paul Classic (partially because of artists I associated with that guitar, but largely due to the hype) . Eventually I'd discover I prefer brands like ESP, Jackson, and Ovation USA, though I have put the Gibson '57 Classic+ pickup in the bridge of multiple guitars despite no longer owning any Gibson guitars.

It's almost like the TZ/TAF thread going on now. The most iconic guitars/pins aren't for everyone.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from dendoc:

image.jpg Happens over here in Australia too. Mainly a classical guitar player (3 of them), but keep wishing I could rock, so have a 1st Ed Gibson Robot guitar, and needed to get a Fender as well - sort of like doing the Williams/Stern thing to keep life balanced. I'm not great on rocking out, so got a spider jam 6 amp to add effects and tracks. Bit of fun.

How do you like your Robot? I was looking into a SG Robot. They look so freaking cool but there are so many Chinese knock off a out there. =(

#42 8 years ago

Guilty...
    20150617_183235.jpg20150617_183235.jpg

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Pinballs and Guitars:

20150617_185631.jpg
    20150617_185647.jpg
    20150617_185705.jpg

Those guitars must be HUGE!!!

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from Sparky347:

Those guitars must be HUGE!!!

I've got the opposite problem ....

20150617_155407.jpg20150617_155407.jpg
    #45 8 years ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

a MIM strat that I still have,so not quite a Fender USA, but they made them particularly well around that time.

I have a MIT tele copy I got for $100 and put another $50 in for new nut, roller saddles, and new PU that plays better than my MIA Tele. Set up well, and with the right hardware, most stuff these days is good. Some stuff is total crap still, bows and warps within months, fretboards separating from neck, etc. (squire).

#46 8 years ago

Yep!
    Here's a couple!
    51 & 59image.jpgimage.jpg

#47 8 years ago

Some of mine over the years (currently still have the blue ESP [have since swapped the EMGs for a chrome '57 Classic+ and P90], '90 Ovation USA Legend, Strat [have modded it a fair bit since this photo], and BCR Warlock [crazy photo was before an 80s NYE party this year :p]). Though I almost exclusively play the acoustic these days since I got it about a year ago.

097.JPG097.JPG
    DMJackson1.JPGDMJackson1.JPG
    DSC00647.JPGDSC00647.JPG
    ESP.JPGESP.JPG
    GibsonLPClassic.JPGGibsonLPClassic.JPG
    git.jpggit.jpg
    Guitar2.JPGGuitar2.JPG
    Guitar4.JPGGuitar4.JPG
    RKB900x2.JPGRKB900x2.JPG

#48 8 years ago

Ive been playing since i was a kid. Im 48 now. Yamaha AES920 custom shop electric. Fender American strat, Taylor 300 series 12 string and Taylor 400 series 6 string acoustics.IMG_20150617_215445.jpgIMG_20150617_215445.jpg

#49 8 years ago

Yulp I play wouldn't say I collect them though. I like my tele and my lpj best

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from Sparky347:

How do you like your Robot? I was looking into a SG Robot. They look so freaking cool but there are so many Chinese knock off a out there. =(

I got it mainly because it was a "first". Don't play it as much as some others I have, probably because I don't use alternate tuning that much. It's certainly a pretty little beast though. If anything, I play the strat more and put it onto the 12 string mode for a nice effect.

There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-guitars and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.