6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Eric_S
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Question. How much energy does a game of pinball use? When I play LOTR, and it's a 15 minute game, am I using $.20 worth of energy? I realize it varies from location to location and game to game... thoughts?

#2 6 years ago

My thought is that if you have/want to count the cents it takes to play a game of pinball, then you don't need a pinball machine.

Other idea would be to go on a pinball bender and play 24/7 for a full month. With all other electrical usage remaining constant, see how much your bill goes up.

#4 6 years ago

Lots and lots of threads on energy use.
    But in the end does it really matt..

Mr_ Tantrum beat me to it.

#5 6 years ago

If we just do some rough math on a machine that draws 5 amps, that's 0.6kw/h, so if your cost per kw/h is $0.15, then the cost to run a machine for 1 hour is $0.09.

That's some really early morning math, so it may vary slightly.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

If we just do some rough math on a machine that draws 5 amps, that's 0.6kw/h, so if your cost per kw/h is $0.15, then the cost to run a machine for 1 hour is $0.09.

Out of curiosity, I was able to check my local electric supplier website and they show hourly breakdown of my usage. I was able to review when people were playing pinball and all my machines were on, and yeah, I'd peg it at about $1 an hour for the whole shebang, at the rates I pay.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

That's some really early morning math, so it may vary slightly.

Thnx wolf!!! That's the answer that I was looking for! I wasn't looking for an "if you have to ask you can't afford it" answer.

4 months later
    #8 6 years ago
    Quoted from edwinpblue:

Thnx wolf!!! That's the answer that I was looking for! I wasn't looking for an "if you have to ask you can't afford it" answer.

The point of such an answer is that it is minuscule. Your question implied you were concerned about it, but if purely an intellectual excercise then I get wanting an empirical answer.

#9 6 years ago

I had a used a power recorder to monitor the current used while playing various games. See here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power-monitoring-on-various-pinball-machines

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-electricity and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.