Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 167 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you keep all your games during a divorce?”

• Yeah. No question. They’re mine. 138 votes
      79%
    • Nah. I’d sell (or give her) half of the games. 23 votes
      13%
    • Some other answer (justify your answer in the comments) 14 votes
      8%

(175 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5455 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20200816-091258_Google (resized).jpg
    Resized_20200601_185517 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200809_091601718-PANO (resized).jpg
    A183B4E6-B78A-4BFC-9017-0C957E15D4AD (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200816-091258_Google (resized).jpg
    A32210BE-A129-43A4-B9CD-3F3F881D0A7A (resized).jpeg
    BBBF2B10-F104-469D-94E4-099476B91C5B (resized).jpeg
    y (resized).jpg
    download (2) (resized).jpeg
    There are 167 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinmeister:

The real problem with being married and pinball is that every second you spend playing, working on the machine, or on this forum is one second less you spend giving your wife your complete and utter attention. Many women find this unacceptable. Fact is though, pinball is not the problem.

Accurate and my experience as well.

Women get very jealous of the object of your attention if it’s not her all the time.

#52 3 years ago

The appraisals were for pinsiders, actually--not local. Hardly a tough spot. Never needed to testify, just to sign affidavits. And prenups are ALWAYS advisable, especially if your state has adopted the Uniform Premarital Agreement Act.

#53 3 years ago

100% of all divorces stem from marriage...

Therefore, never marry.

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

100% of all divorces stem from marriage...
    Therefore, never marry.

Just saw that joke in a Netflix show we are watching: Giri/Haji. Absolutely brilliant Japanese / British gangster show.

#55 3 years ago

Honestly, pinball valuation is the least of your worries

As a lawyer, it’s the lawyers that will crush you guys if it’s a contested divorce

You will be selling those to pay attorneys

Best advice, work it out nicely with her

#56 3 years ago

Iceman is 100% correct. Those who need my services are the unfortunate few, aside from
    those who use my parenting coordination, mediation, and collaborative divorce services.

#57 3 years ago

My ex-wife didn’t like pinballs, especially the rotation aspect - trading etc. She sure loved them when we had ppl over though. “Come see OUR gameroom!” Lol..

However... Pinballs are just “things”. Toys that aren’t that important. I sold everything when I got divorced. Avoided the whole “worth” issue. Paid off some debt with the proceeds and then divorced. Made things simpler.

Yes it made me sad but I got back into collecting after a few years hiatus and my collection now is so much more than what I had back then. Things work themselves out.

The fact that I don’t get emotionally attached to inanimate objects probably helps lol. That includes cars and houses.

P.S. my gf loves pinball. “More is better” and “Nothing leaves” and awesome quotes from her....

#58 3 years ago

Me n my wife made a deal when this hobby “obsession “ took me over early this year .Im a do it all type construction guy been my whole life .I work side jobs to pay for these .I let her pick first WOZRR (good pick) I picked second IMDN prem (can’t get enough) now my 12 year old is up to the plate he wants FG then the 11 year old wants DP.I get the 5th pick n that’s it 5 is the limit and to me that’s plenty .The kids have to sell they’re pins when 16 for down payment for first cars .If my wife wants to sell hers n cash out then I get a 3rd game .I felt this was completly fair as I’m the one that’s possessed lmao .Anyway time will tell if this “deal” works out .To all that are going through a divorce I wish the best for you .I went through one early in life no kids was easy cut a check n go we worked everything out with 1 attorney that’s the best way as others have stated reguardless if you give a inch or so it’s well worth it overall.

#59 3 years ago

This topic
    When I got divorced it was all pretty straight forward. Refi the house and pay her half the equity. Gave her $14k in cash and she got to keep the dodge diesel pickup and our 28' toy hauler. It was basically $50K I had to cover. Then at the finish line (after mutually agreeing on everything at that point) she wanted half of the split firewood and my Ms pacman cocktail table. Why she didn't ask for any pins I don't know but anyway I told her absolutely not. We already made an agreement and you've gotten your fair share. She utilized several of our mutual friends to help her move out. I couldn't bare to be here to watch her moving out so I told our friends absolutely NOTHING leaves my game room. Went to make dinner that night and went to grab meat out of the freezer in the garage and the damn freezer was gone with a couple grand of meat inside. THEN I noticed she tool almost every single cooking utensil out of the kitchen. We did NOT agree on ANY of that LOL. They are never satisfied. Seems like the longer it goes on the more angry and vengeful they get. And just when I thought it was over and behind me, a couple years later she sends our daughter in with battle gear on requesting that I give her several house cleaning utensils. /smh go away bad dream.
    I think marriage is awesome and would love to do it again. However there will absolutely be a prenup involved and a clear understanding that I will not allow someone to tell me what I can or cannot have or what I can or cannot enjoy and that will be MUTUALLY reciprocated. I'm too old to start over. Nothing wrong with covering your rear end.

Love comes when it wants, does what it wants and leaves when it wants. You cannot control it. All you can ever really do is enjoy it while it lasts.

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

This topic
    When I got divorced it was all pretty straight forward. Refi the house and pay her half the equity. Gave her $14k in cash and she got to keep the dodge diesel pickup and our 28' toy hauler. It was basically $50K I had to cover. Then at the finish line (after mutually agreeing on everything at that point) she wanted half of the split firewood and my Ms pacman cocktail table. Why she didn't ask for any pins I don't know but anyway I told her absolutely not. We already made an agreement and you've gotten your fair share. She utilized several of our mutual friends to help her move out. I couldn't bare to be here to watch her moving out so I told our friends absolutely NOTHING leaves my game room. Went to make dinner that night and went to grab meat out of the freezer in the garage and the damn freezer was gone with a couple grand of meat inside. THEN I noticed she tool almost every single cooking utensil out of the kitchen. We did NOT agree on ANY of that LOL. They are never satisfied. Seems like the longer it goes on the more angry and vengeful they get. And just when I thought it was over and behind me, a couple years later she sends our daughter in with battle gear on requesting that I give her several house cleaning utensils. /smh go away bad dream.
    I think marriage is awesome and would love to do it again. However there will absolutely be a prenup involved and a clear understanding that I will not allow someone to tell me what I can or cannot have or what I can or cannot enjoy and that will be MUTUALLY reciprocated. I'm too old to start over. Nothing wrong with covering your rear end.
    Love comes when it wants, does what it wants and leaves when it wants. You cannot control it. All you can ever really do is enjoy it while it lasts.

Well put !

#61 3 years ago

I will NEVER EVER get married. I am not that stupid. I am very happy being single and living ALONE!

Andrew

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from Slackmoe:

I will NEVER EVER get married. I am not that stupid. I am very happy being single and living ALONE!
    Andrew

I'll take "Famous Last Words" for $2000.

#63 3 years ago

Women will worm their way in amigo.

Sometimes it can save your life, sometimes it can ruin it.

#64 3 years ago

I've been waiting almost 2 years to receive my equalization payment , stupid fn bitch .
    pinlawyer , HELP !

#65 3 years ago

It seems like you should have given her a portion of the games equal in value to half the total value of the games and let her take responsibility for selling it.

#66 3 years ago

My wife passed away a year ago and the way the divorce laws are written there is no way another woman will ever spend a weekend in my home let alone me remarrying.
    Too many gold diggers and I don't want to meet the real woman for the first time 2 years down the road in divorce court.
    All my pins and everything else will go to my son.
    Sorry ladies, enjoy your cats.

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinmeister:

I'll take "Famous Last Words" for $2000.

I have been single for 25 yrs, so no

Andrew

#68 3 years ago

Even if I loose half my shit...it will have been worth it

A183B4E6-B78A-4BFC-9017-0C957E15D4AD (resized).pngA183B4E6-B78A-4BFC-9017-0C957E15D4AD (resized).png
    #69 3 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

My wife passed away a year ago and the way the divorce laws are written there is no way another woman will ever spend a weekend in my home let alone me remarrying.
    Too many gold diggers and I don't want to meet the real woman for the first time 2 years down the road in divorce court.
    All my pins and everything else will go to my son.
    Sorry ladies, enjoy your cats.

You are a better man than my father is.

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

That appraisal puts you in a tough spot.

sure does

#71 3 years ago

....Everyone has a story ,,,, My ex didn’t like Pinball. ,,,she thought I should’ve been showering her in lavish gifts and High end Restaurants Nightly , not playing games ,,,Had quite a nice collection of about six Pins that my two boys and I loved to play. Fifteen years later it was over, she got quite a payout , but never got any of the Pins ! My kids are in their late 20’s now and still come over and play Pinball with their Dad,,,I couldn’t be happier

#72 3 years ago

Semi off topic if you want to get anything at a steep discount just search “divorce” as a keyword on CL FB etc I have gotten some stuff non pinball that way for pennies on the dollar.

#73 3 years ago

If I ever get divorced my wife would likely take the other personal property items and leave me with the pinball, as she has no interest in them, or selling them.

In any event though, I would likely need to at least sell my most expensive pinball to free up enough cash for lawyers for the both of us.

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Even if I loose half my shit...it will have been worth it
    [quoted image]

Shes growing up so quick!

#75 3 years ago

Seeing comments about the wife isnt interested in pins so it wont be an issue have never dealt with a divorce. When the word divorce comes in, they have interest in everything, especially the stuff that you like.

My suggestion. when they say they want half the value of the collection. Be polite and easy about it. Ask her to get a appraisal that can be used in court. You know damn well she will get someone that says that the value is far higher than what the actual value is.

Then when she presents you with the ridiculous valuation. You then let her know that you accept those values and that you will gladly sell your half to her for that amount.

Take the money and buy more pins, the new ones will be better because of it

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I'm more worried about how cheap she is going to sell them when I'm dead.

Is that coz you lied about the prices you payed for them?

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from Slackmoe:

Andrew

MGTOW

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Seeing comments about the wife isnt interested in pins so it wont be an issue have never dealt with a divorce. When the word divorce comes in, they have interest in everything, especially the stuff that you like.
    My suggestion. when they say they want half the value of the collection. Be polite and easy about it. Ask her to get a appraisal that can be used in court. You know damn well she will get someone that says that the value is far higher than what the actual value is.
    Then when she presents you with the ridiculous valuation. You then let her know that you accept those values and that you will gladly sell your half to her for that amount.
    Take the money and buy more pins, the new ones will be better because of it

Then some judge will say to auction them and split the proceeds after all the fees. Might not be good.

#79 3 years ago

Maybe we need a Barcade for recently single guys. That's were I met Elvira, all alone and not even plugged in. I took her home that night.

Can you imagine a singles bar filled with HOT pins? Baywatch, Rollergames......

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from alienpoker:

Trouble was- during the divorce she wanted 1/2 the ‘market value’ of all the games I had personally paid for and that she had expressed little interest in util then. Of course market value to her meant the *most* that title had ever sold for. In the end I was still on the hook for paying around $20K+ (1/2 the final valuation) after haggling though lawyers about the actual market value.

I mean, this makes sense. That's a big part of what marriage is.
    Why would she not be entitled to half the value of the assets, even if she didn't like them?

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just saw that joke in a Netflix show we are watching: Giri/Haji. Absolutely brilliant Japanese / British gangster show.

That’s my joke. Been saying it for years.

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

My wife said when I die she’ll need to bring in an expert to see whats worth money and what’s garbage. I recently sold my Nintendo power magazines for $1500. She thought they were just junk sitting on the bookshelf

With the pandemic and all I made sure I had a trusted friend lined up to sell my arcade stuff on my wife's behalf in case I died. No joke, not letting my partner get overwhelmed by having to deal with the tenants of my hobby.

#83 3 years ago

I’ve been following this movement for 4 years now. Not personally, but with news reports and articles about them. Very interesting.

#84 3 years ago

Damn straight I'm keepin' my machines! Got the house too. And one better, I then knocked half the 2nd floor out of the family room and turned the whole thing into an arcade with a loft. Game over, Herb Sharp wins.

IMG_20200809_091601718-PANO (resized).jpgIMG_20200809_091601718-PANO (resized).jpg
    #85 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinmeister:

The real problem with being married and pinball is that every second you spend playing, working on the machine, or on this forum is one second less you spend giving your wife your complete and utter attention. Many women find this unacceptable.

Find another women.

Mine knows which side her bread is buttered and has her own things to do when we are not together.

Its unhealthy for both parties to be the focus of each others attention exclusively, breeds resentment.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Damn straight I'm keepin' my machines! Got the house too. And one better, I then knocked half the 2nd floor out of the family room and turned the whole thing into an arcade with a loft. Game over, Herb Sharp wins.
    [quoted image]

What an awesome space! You won for sure.

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

What an awesome space! You won for sure.

Thank you!

#88 3 years ago

Happy wife, happy life.

No wife, awesome life.

#89 3 years ago

Mine encourages me to keep buying games. Think she's a keeper.

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Mine encourages me to keep buying games. Think she's a keeper.

Mine enjoys going to the shows with me, we always find something else to do so we both enjoy the trip fully. She thinks Allentown is 'da bomb but the Farmers Market really the icing on the cake.

When I drove to Jersey to pick up Medusa we cruised around the western part of the state hitting up farmers markets and came back with bushels of veggies and buffalo steaks.

And Medusa =)

Resized_20200601_185517 (resized).jpgResized_20200601_185517 (resized).jpg
    #91 3 years ago

"waits patiently for his "Pinball and second divorce" thread.

#92 3 years ago

[quoted image]

That's awesome! Yup, you won. I love it!!!

#93 3 years ago

[quoted image]

Can I come over after covid19 is gone?

#94 3 years ago

Always marry your 2nd wife 1st

#95 3 years ago

[quoted image]

So cool! Post more pics!

#96 3 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Can I come over after covid19 is gone?

Sure!

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from cartert:

she's always in the last place you look.

#98 3 years ago

My first wife wouldn't allow me to buy the one pin I wanted -- TAF. This was back in 2003 when they were going for $1500... When I divorced her in 2013, I bought a TAF for myself as a divorce present. I paid a little more than $1500... My 2nd wife pretended to like pinball until after we were married, and then wouldn't stop bitching about it (TAF is the only one I owned at the time). She also pretended to like my children until after we married, and then didn't want them around at all. Needless to say, I divorced her ass pretty quickly. The day we separated, she had a "change of heart" and all of a sudden LOVED pinball and thought my kids were really amazing (which they are). I didn't fall for it. Within a year of separation, I went from one pin to 13... IF I ever get remarried (and that's a GARGANTUAN "IF"!!), it'll be to someone who TRULY loves pinball, AND I'll have a rock-solid pre-nup. I'm a trial lawyer, and I knew I should have gotten one for the last wife, but I had certain leverage that I could have used had it gotten ugly. As it was, neither divorce cost me a dime. Both wives had seen me in court many times and knew it wasn't in their best interest to face me in that arena.

#99 3 years ago
    Quoted from cartert:

Yup.

Your second go around wiser and more experienced if you were paying attention what went sideways the first time.

If I only knew then what I knew now.. I would have ran like hell when I started courting my ex. The warning signs were there but I ignored or did not see them. Fool I.

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from SeaLawyer:

My first wife wouldn't allow me to buy the one pin I wanted -- TAF. This was back in 2003 when they were going for $1500... When I divorced her in 2013, I bought a TAF for myself as a divorce present. I paid a little more than $1500... My 2nd wife pretended to like pinball until after we were married, and then wouldn't stop bitching about it (TAF is the only one I owned at the time). She also pretended to like my children until after we married, and then didn't want them around at all. Needless to say, I divorced her ass pretty quickly. The day we separated, she had a "change of heart" and all of a sudden LOVED pinball and thought my kids were really amazing (which they are). I didn't fall for it. Within a year of separation, I went from one pin to 13... IF I ever get remarried (and that's a GARGANTUAN "IF"!!), it'll be to someone who TRULY loves pinball AND I'll have a rock-solid pre-nup. I'm a trial lawyer, and I knew I should have gotten one for the last wife, but I had certain leverage that I could have used had it gotten ugly. As it was, neither divorce cost me a dime. Both wives had seen me in court many times and knew it wasn't in their best interests to face me in that arena.

Awesome story! The lesson is don't try to come between a man and his pins (or his kids). Congratulations on a job well done.

There are 167 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-divorce/page/2?hl=alexmogil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.