(Topic ID: 244780)

Pinball and Cricket: a place to draw inspiration?

By Odinius

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

framed (resized).JPG
    epstein (resized).JPG
    #1 4 years ago

So, after watching a multitude of pinball streams I have come to a strange conclusion: Pinball streamers need to watch cricket commentary to see how to make streaming these tournaments more interesting.

Right as the IFPA World Championship is being played out in Italy the cricket World Championship is going on in England. Unlike any other sport (other than pinball ) every match is played for a day. As an example, I was able to follow a match between the Aussies and the West Indies from before lunch yesterday (CET) until 8ish.

Every once in a while, they will rotate the commentary team. So, you have Harsha Bhogle (an Indian) commentating for an hour with Michael Holding (Jamaica) for an hour. Then they will switch to two other commentators with fresh points of view. And just as important: you make the broadcast/event seem fresh. It’s still the same venue (aka Oval) but you have different input. I have commentated on a few streams and after an hour or two you do run abit out of steam!

Not a slight on any of the commentators from today’s stream more input from a sport that shares alot of similarities with pinball. During the Ashes (England vs. Australia) there are 5 matches. Each match last for five days. And the commentators are rotated out constantly to make the broadcast seem fresh and draw people in.

And never underestimated how you need a play by play commentator and a colour (Google is telling me there isn't a u in colour....) commentator. Harsha and Michael from further up being a very good example. Harsha never playing at the top level and Michael being a devastating player at the top level of the game. (As in: you don't need to be a top 100 player to create a buzz around the stream. But having a top 100 player helps explain why the viewer should be excited!)

So a bit of encouragment for us all: if someone from Norway can enjoy the Ashes (Google beeing your fiend here) from 2am at night mid winter, what can we do to instill this in pinball competitions?

And why on earth has no one shared the Epstein trophy on Pinside? Or do we just no care?

(And a list of the commentators for the ICC World Cup https://crickettimes.com/2019/05/icc-world-cup-2019-complete-list-of-commentators/ Never more than two matches on at once.)

epstein (resized).JPGepstein (resized).JPG
    #2 4 years ago

Interesting take, I think (as in all things in life) there is definitely room for improvement. The ability to "stream" our sport is new and we have a lot of growing to do from a broadcast (camera angles, sound, graphics, color) persepctive. I am excited to be here for it and see it blossom.

#3 4 years ago

And I am far from being an NRL supporter but research State of origin in Rugby League in Australia (AFL beeing the better sport of course .) And then see how the Epstein cup should be hyped up.

There isn't a post here on the results. There isn't a post on Tiltfroums about the results. So unless I am wrong it's left to the public to share the result of a massive international tournament! Imagine if last year the World Series, World Cup in soccer etc etc letf the hype around it happen thru chance! (Check IFPAs Facebook btw. Epstein hasn't been mentioned the last 24 hours.)

And for the record: Up fuckin Europe, Suck it Team USA. https://www.ifpapinball.com/2019-epstein-cup-starts-at-8pm-gmt2-tonight/ Team Europe bringing the cup home: Daniele Celestino Acciari, Johannes Ostermeier, Albert Nomden, Mats Runsten, Jorian Engelbrektsson, Robert Sutter, Levente Tregova, Erno Rotter

(There we go, more hype in one sentence then the last 24 hours from IFPA.)

#4 4 years ago

And this is how you frame day two: Europe won the team comp but on the main stage USA sets the standard. Fascinating sporting story here. Shame it's buried at a pinside thread about comentary instead of at the IFPA Facebook etc etc.

framed (resized).JPGframed (resized).JPG
    #5 4 years ago

Give it time, if we can grow the audience, the prizes and the sponsorships, we will see this mature too.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-cricket-a-place-to-draw-inspiration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.