6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by stevevt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Quick question: If someone comes down to NY and buys a pin for $5K, then brings it over to Canada, how much do they pay in taxes?

#2 6 years ago

13% of the purchase price. Assuming they are going back to Ontario. Quebec is slightly less, I believe.

#3 6 years ago

Stay overnight 48 hours and get $800 exemption per person. Family can get $1600 ($C) discount.

... So on $5000 pin, must pay $C 650 at border

#4 6 years ago

if you bring it up for them, you'll be charged 5%. if they bring it up, they pay 13%.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from matthewra:

Stay overnight 48 hours and get $800 exemption per person. Family can get $1600 ($C) discount.
    ... So on $5000 pin, must pay $C 650 at border

That is kind of odd, whats the reasoning to that? Stay in the US and spend your money and we will give you a take break?

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinij93:

That is kind of odd, whats the reasoning to that? Stay in the US and spend your money and we will give you a take break?

Mainly done with vacationers in mind, so you don't have to pay tax/duty on every souvenir you have bought while out of the country.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Mainly done with vacationers in mind, so you don't have to pay tax/duty on every souvenir you have bought while out of the country.

Ok thanks, makes sense when you put it that way.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

if you bring it up for them, you'll be charged 5%. if they bring it up, they pay 13%.

Not so sure that's accurate any more - one of my buffalo friends brought a machine over for someone and wound up paying the 13%, plus it was much more of a pain for him that it would have been for the buyer. I'm grabbing one soon, and counting on just paying the 13%. I got hauled out of my car once for a deal that the border didn't believe because they found one on eBay for double what I paid. Thankfully eventually they believed me based on condition, but it sure wasn't fun.

#9 6 years ago

Only 5% in Alberta,bring it here

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from brewmanager:

Not so sure that's accurate any more - one of my buffalo friends brought a machine over for someone and wound up paying the 13%

ok, so then it seems like a roulette game at the border, no guarantee of anything. friend of mine had a game brought up just 2 months ago and the American bringing it was charged 5%.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

ok, so then it seems like a roulette game at the border, no guarantee of anything. friend of mine had a game brought up just 2 months ago and the American bringing it was charged 5%.

Typical government system. Try revenue Canada. I've tried this..went into the same office on three different days, to 3 different people, and got three completely different answers for the exact same question. YMMV

#12 6 years ago

I brought a game across the border from Vermont into Canada last month and was charged 5%. It's the only time I've gone that direction with a game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 218.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 2.50
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 12.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 119.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.99
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    $ 64.99
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 30.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside