Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

660 posts in this topic match your search for posts by whysnow. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 7 years ago

Figured Bourbon has now become a rich person hobby much like pinball, so why not start a thread.

(I don't really think pinball or bourbon are rich folks hobbies, but prices and collecting has gone up for both).

I dont drink much anymore but when I do drink I like good and rare bourbon. It is bourbon hunting season with all the special releases likely starting to trickle out at local shops, so these is the time of year to talk bourbon.

What are you drinking?
    What are you hoping to find during this release season?

My personal favorite is OFBB (Old Forester Birthday Boubon) Teh 2016 batch has been released but I am yet to find any locally.

#7 7 years ago

Anyone drink the stuff straight like it was intended?

Bourbon drinking, collecting, hunting can be just as addictive and pinball; fair warning.

The main things people seem to be hunting/ the bump in bourbon popularity stems from the limited release stuff.

Pappy of course
    Then all the BTAC (Buffalo Trace Antique collection)

Plenty of ohters but those are the big ones.

I also enjoy the age marked Elijah Craig. 12 and 17 year are favorites. Nice nose and woody front end with a smooth hug on the backside.

#14 7 years ago

Season starts now (officially starts on Sept 2nd this year, but take a little while for things to show up and local places).

My tips are to go to your local store and talk with the manager/owner to establish a relationship. Some places do lotto, some do an insider thing, some do a 1st come first served on the day of arrival.

Either way, it always helps to have a firned on the inside.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

...I've been lucky enough to do blind tastings of 20 year, 15 year, and the 10 year and every time I liked the 10 best which is the least expensive

I personally like the 12 the best. 10 is too young. 15 and older is too woody for my tastes.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Pappy is overrated the btac could be found up north 10 yr ago but not now.So now I drink the 10 yr old Eagle Rare but not the 17 yr old.Other good single barrel like Blanton's or Fore Rose bourbon

agreed. Pappy is good but far from great. I would put it in a top 20, but it does not make the top 10.

I am going to give some of the Japanese ones a try.

#48 7 years ago

Im jealous! My no 1 iso for this season is ofbb.

#49 7 years ago

If anyone sees any at your local store, please grab me a bottle or two. Ill happily pay for it plus the shipping!

#56 7 years ago

In WI there are hardly any lottos for the good stuff. The places that do have lotto seem to be rigged; I know 1 guy that wins 1st pull every year at the local place.

The biggest stash for us happens on Black Friday. If I get in line by 2am I am pretty much gaurenteed a good bottle, but man what a waste of the holiday weekend.

#66 7 years ago

I have not tried the willit pot reserve yet. There is a local bottle for $70. worth it?

#74 7 years ago

Stagg jr def is one that i bring down with a few drops of cold water and let breathe. Enjoy

3 months later
    #79 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Since last visiting this thread a few months ago, I've tried a few new bourbons and can recommend Blanton's Single Barrel (as others have) as a fine libation while playing pinball!

blantons is my daily drinker.

8 months later
    #134 6 years ago

congrats!

I too am a bit bummed with the popularity that fall hunting is pretty much over.

The main liquor store now holds back everything and does a black friday sale. People line up on Wednesday and camp out till Friday at 8am. Sorry but family time is way more important and that means no special stuff for me besides the few places I have a relationship with that ocassionally hook me up.

#137 6 years ago

If anyone ever has a hook up on the rare seasonals and wants to trade for WI beers, I am happy to ship.

Just reach out and let me know what you have and want.

Mainly looking for BTAC, OFBB, and Pappy 12y 15y or 20y

ELijah Craig 17+ also

Cheers

1 month later
    #144 6 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

A gift from a potential son in law......a nice batch...

nice! He knows his stuff when he is spending the $ to buy aged stamped...

I would say this means he is serious. I would expect a proposal soon; tell him to bring the Pappy along for that discussion

#146 6 years ago

looks like you are a rye guy

Is that the pappy 20y from 2017? How is it?

1 month later
    #155 6 years ago

hunting is damn near worthless in this neck of the woods.

I have exactly 1 hook up at this point. Everything has gone to either a lottery or a black Friday type stockpile sale (where the same 10 guys camp out for 3 days at each spot)

I never win the lottos so I rarely get the rare stuff anymore.

I have one spot I found in IL where they hold stuff back and if you just get lucky you may find a bottle on the right day.

My daily drinker is still blantons, but even it is rare to find in todays bourbon fever.

4 months later
    #187 5 years ago

Going to be a bunch of blends coming out of there

Bummer for them but if they are smart they will market it to their advantage.

2 weeks later
    #190 5 years ago

I agree on ElmerT. It is great and also,likely diverted for pappy futures.

We have a stockpile from a few years ago when We realized how good it is and that it also would becme more rare.

#193 5 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

A stockpile?? Come on. Really?
    Generosity is a virtue...

Oh, it will all get drank. When we find a bottle that both wife and I like, we buy it up. We did some research and realizd it would be harder to find. I think we grabbed a case three years ago and it is a daily drinker in the household. Probably only half a case left.

I personally suggest blantons as a nice rplacement

#195 5 years ago

Four roses small batch?

I agree, Elmer is better. Very close to Lot B, 12 year pappy, imho.

2 months later
    #229 5 years ago
    Quoted from HisboyElroy:

I picked this up at an auction recently. I'm not a huge Bourbon guy but I've heard really good things about Pappy Van Winkle and apparently it's really tough to find so I thought I'd grab it...
    [quoted image]

Imho, lot Bis th best of all the pappys. I have had them all multiple times and will take the tweleve over everything else.

#236 5 years ago
    Quoted from saucerman:

my collection of whisky has certainly hindered my buying power of pinball machines....that and the room my collection takes up is another story. You can check out my collection here www.theApothecaryPub.com - this is my home bar and I was tired of updating my paper menu so I decided to create my own website instead.

When is the pinball and burb get to gether?

1 month later
    #248 5 years ago
    Quoted from VampireKangaroo:

Having some IW Harper 15 year

got a bottle of that when I was out east this summer and it was so good it lasted a whole 3 days.

Sadly cant find it anywhere here in the midwest so far...

1 month later
    #293 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

I have! ✋
    My wife also prints all the specialty labels for buffalo trace. I.E. stagg, taylor, eagle etc... hook up!!

Ummm... can some of us get some help? I did not get a single bottle this year from btac. Stuff has become impossible up here. Allocation was three bottles in total to my local store and they ended up keeping them all for employees (so much for customer loyalty with the new manager).
    If you have any extras, i am happ to ship dank WI beers

#296 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

Lol... got any pins for trade? Lol

Sure. Gonna need some good bottles in trade and at good prices unless you wanna pay retail on the pins also

1 week later
    #301 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

I have 1 case total so 12 bottles. =)

wow!

I was unable to get a single special release bottle of anything this year.
    Just a few years ago I was able to line wait and get a bottle or 2 of pappy, a few form BTAC, and my favorite (OFBB) with just a few hours of time for each.
    Now... nothing. My local spot only got 3 total bottle of BTAC and all 3 evaporated before they even made it in the store.
    The local big store pools all their stuff for a Black Friday release which means you would need to get in line on Wed before turkey day to even get 1 good bottle of a special release.

The scarcity up here has relegated me to drinking the regular stuff. Still good, but I miss the hunt and fun of drinking something that was special but obtainable.

#304 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

MC of this was 12 bottles. 3 per box yes
    [quoted image][quoted image]

ok... I gotta ask...

What is the trick? I would love to buy a whole case! This is crazy in my region and I have never heard of anyone getting an entire case unless it "fell" off the truck

#306 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

I collect bourbon, scotch and whiskey. Not sure there is a trick other than having good contact with my wholesalers.

nice!

There is 1 wholesaler in the region and they have everything on lock down!

Do you own/run a liquor store also?

#309 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

3 bottles is a case. I apologize for this misunderstanding. Just spoke with my wholesaler. I understood an MC to be 12 bottles but George T doesn't do MC so I got awarded 4 cases.

If you happen to come across a case of OFBB... just LMK

#314 5 years ago

Do you have any EC age stamped down there readily available?

I cant remember what it was (17, 18, 21?) but I got a bottle a few years back and it was amazing! Been looking ever since for EC age stamped and have not seen anything.

#320 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Is EC age stamped rare?

Up here is has always been rare. The aged EC just isn't up this way ever.

Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

18 year is still available. Great value if you intend to drink it

Quoted from jgentry:

I've seen it several times in KY but not in TN for a bit. I could have just missed it though as the bourbon isles have gotten so huge. I swear there's 6 new labels every time I look.
    Whysnow if you are looking for a bottle I can pick one up next week when I'm visiting family in KY. I haven't paid attention to see if the 23 year is available now or not. I'm usually cheap and just buy the small batch (what used to be the 12). But I know I an get the 18 there no problem.

If either of you are able and willing to grab me the age stamped 18 or older then YES PLEASE! Just lmk what I owe you for the bottle and shipping. Assuming it is still affordable on the shelf, I would take a couple bottles since shipping is likey the same for three as it would be for one.

Lmk and TIA!

Worth note, we drink ALL the stuff! Nothing for collecting. We let it sit on the shelf, but it all gets drank.

#326 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Well affordability kind of went out the window with the last shortage. I think I paid $129 for my bottle when it was released in 2017. I've seen it on shelves in KY still but I believe it was $169.99 or something like that. Happy to grab you one and ship at cost.

That is a GOOD price!

Lmk if you really are able to help a guy out. It would be appreciated.

#340 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

The taste is incredible for what the cost is. I've been collecting bourbon a long while and to me this is probably the best value.

curious if you add water to the barrel strength ever to let it breath a little?

much of the barrel strength is too hot for me personally (i.e. Stag), but I have found even a few drops of clean water to open it up for me.

#362 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

This bottle wholesale is $77 but its labeled "limited stock" I have had a few cases of this in 2018 so not sure what is left. Everyone is off now so I can't just call and find out. I'll report back December 26.

If you are offering to sell Pappy 12 for $100 a bottle, I would happily take a case at that price. Seriously.

It seems you have much better availability and connections than what is an option up here.
    It is some of my favorite stuff (I like the 10 and 12 much better than the longer aged Pappy) and is completely unavailable up here anymore.

#369 5 years ago
    Quoted from jathomp22:

Found this at Costco for $49.99 and figured I would give it a try. It’s pretty good.
    [quoted image]

Great stuff! When i was in watkins glenn ny this summer i found a bottle and it is very good!

Have not seen any in the midwest yet. Nice to see it is around.

Did they have more?

#372 5 years ago

Nice! Been working on pinball non stop the past three days as i try to get things running well for the nacs in wi. Drinking some blantons tonight.

Enjoy and happy holidays!

#374 5 years ago

With balantons, each rider is different. Flip it over and look for the letter. They spell out B L A N T O N S if you want to hunt for them all. Fun to do.

1 month later
    #443 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

I'll buy it for you and we're gonna drink it at the midwest gaming classic.
    I'm coming to that and I'll have a stash for all my WI buddies. I dont know how to tag people but you know who you are. =)

Looking forward to it! I have a local bottle for you also

1 month later
    #570 5 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

Nice-are we turning this into a bourbon and rye thread? Don't see much Willett Family Reserve stuff around here, so I make it a habit to snap up what I do see. I was able to pick up three of these 8 year ryes. Drank one, gifted one, and have this one still. Superb stuff, simply sublime.[quoted image]

Rye is acceptable per the bylaws of this thread.

I like that rye in particular.

#587 5 years ago
    Quoted from t8tony8t:

Some of the collection. One day I think I will try to trade it all for pinball machines.
    [quoted image]

Nice!

If you ever want to sell the OFBB, it is the wife's favorite. I would be happy to but the vertical you have going on.
    Fair warning, it will get drank

#590 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

WFT is going on around here?! Was I that clueless?!

lol, my wife is pretty awesome! Bourbon and pinball are 2 of her favorite things.

#636 5 years ago

I drank a few bottles of each Pappy (10 through 23) before it became what it is.

I prefer the 12.

The 20 and 23 are too woody for me personally.
    No matter it sure is fun to hunt, find, and drink them.

I suggest anyone that acquires a 23, to find the rest from that year and do a vertical. Best way to examine them and sinc eyou have a few years to hunt it wil give you something to look forward to.

#660 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Well its a sad day, I drank my last glass out of this bottle.
    [quoted image]

one of, if not, my favs!

#664 5 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

It's $200+tax around here where it's in stock ($149 at TotalWine but never actually on the shelf) It would have to be pretty flipping good to make anybody's best value list

Buy me 2 and ship them over

I would be happy to toss you some extra for the effort.

2 weeks later
    #797 4 years ago

moderator request**

lets stay on track with this thread please. pinball and bourbon.

**I am not a moderator, but did start the thread

this is one of my favorites currently. Much better than most places rate it IMHO.

harper15 (resized).JPGharper15 (resized).JPG
    #806 4 years ago

sorry about your buddy.

make it a double tonight.

cheers

3 weeks later
    #944 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Just curious about everyone elses drinking habits. When you sit down to have a few drinks do you stick to the same bottle for them all or do you grab separate bottles? I typically find myself having 1 or 2 of one thing then switching to another bottle for another drink. Ah hell who am I kidding then I switch to another bottle after that for another drink

I always like to open a new bottle for my first drink when the pallet is clean.
    I then usually hit a fav for the middle part.
    I always return to the freshly opened one to end it. I like to see if I like it more after I have had a couple.

I find if it is good on first sip then I like it the same later.
    If it is not my style on first sip, then it rarely grows on me.

#947 4 years ago

The hudson is very nice!

I am a fan for sure.

#991 4 years ago

I have never seen the trilogy, but I have had them each individually and like them.

Not great, but good. Well worth it if the price was fair.

I would pick it up just for the fun of drinking them all side by side.

#1000 4 years ago

Let’s play a game of “what would you buy?”

This is the selection at my local store right now.

0011AF02-7F0A-4989-8AFD-314C87AA2B5F (resized).jpeg0011AF02-7F0A-4989-8AFD-314C87AA2B5F (resized).jpeg1DAC6061-9316-4074-B0D3-E975809D896E (resized).jpeg1DAC6061-9316-4074-B0D3-E975809D896E (resized).jpeg391EC1DE-ED28-4119-BDCF-D134BD5E9927 (resized).jpeg391EC1DE-ED28-4119-BDCF-D134BD5E9927 (resized).jpeg7A9F3DE2-F0BE-418A-83BA-A89644FFD79F (resized).jpeg7A9F3DE2-F0BE-418A-83BA-A89644FFD79F (resized).jpeg9B62A809-964F-421C-9124-BB16C856606F (resized).jpeg9B62A809-964F-421C-9124-BB16C856606F (resized).jpegA427CB14-407A-451A-B21D-B3FA9DC8C209 (resized).jpegA427CB14-407A-451A-B21D-B3FA9DC8C209 (resized).jpeg
    #1016 4 years ago

fun game to play.

If others feel so inclined and you have a good selection then maybe we can get some trades happening?

#1017 4 years ago
    Quoted from New_England:

Want to pick me up a bottle of the Basil Hayden’s dark rye? Vermont and New Hampshire are all of stock. Have any Vermont alcohol you’re looking for?

sure.

Go grab a photo/s of what is on the shelf at your best local spot. I am sure there is something up there I would like to have that we dont get here.

Would be happy to trade and do a mutual ship deal.

#1037 4 years ago

Thx, but I drink bourbon. Any Vermont age stamped bourbon at you spot?

2 weeks later
    #1158 4 years ago

Camping supplies for the weekend

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #1245 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

I just want to go on record and say you are ALL a bad influence! Now I'm looking at $$$$ bottles of bourbon because of this thread! Really wanted a bottle of Pappy after my love of the show Justified Till I seen how dam much it cost!!! Is it Really that good, I mean Really??

Serious and honest answer... NO not at all. Pappy is good but lots of other equally good stuff for 100 or often less.

Unless you have really worked on your taste buds then it is a waste at this point.

#1258 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

So I took the advice of some you and decided to actually pick most of my bottles up off the floor of the basement. I wasn't using this old antique icebox before but it has now been officially repurposed! Wouldn't hold all my bottles though so I had to prioritize what went inside. So last pic is the ones that didnt make the cut at least for now may switch things up one day.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome cabinent!

#1324 4 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

Stopped at a new place today.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

J Henry & Sons is WELL worth the price of admission!

Seriously! A hidden gem and once people outside of the region get a taste, expect it to evaporate quickly.

#1368 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

Today’s pickups. Completely shocked to find the Blantons. I haven’t found a bottle in 2 years and I have gotten on 2 in 1 week.
    Believe me I need it - no formal announcements but let’s talk in 9 months.[quoted image]

Can we please keep the guns to the gun thread. This is the bourbon and pinball thread.

Congrats on the blantons

2 weeks later
    #1511 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

Anybody going to Pinburgh?
    I typically bring a bottle of OWA with me to shows, but it usually ends up going the first night, haha.
    If anybody would like to share or sample, let's coordinate here and see if we can't get a mobile tasting lounge set up.

I am always for trading.

I can bring some J Henry and Sons (5 or 7 year age stamp)
    I prefer something local to the trader with a similar age stamp and price.

This goes for anyone. LMK if you want to try the local Dane WI made/distilled goodness

#1515 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I am always for trading.
    I can bring some J Henry and Sons (5 or 7 year age stamp)
    I prefer something local to the trader with a similar age stamp and price.
    This goes for anyone. LMK if you want to try the local Dane WI made/distilled goodness

If anyone wants to do a trade... hit me up soon. Jhenry can take a little bit of effort to track down recently. I know I can find it, but time is limited between now and travel

#1517 4 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

You coming to helicon any day?

Current plan is to leave next Tuesday after work and drive till we are pooped.

Then drive the rest on Wednesday. The Helicon tourney starts too late for us (want to be fresh for Pinburgh on Thursday), but would love to stop but around noon as we roll in to town.

What time do you open it?

1 month later
    #1822 4 years ago

Yeah. Took a little bit to pick up steam but burbs is always good. ESP w the weather changing

2 weeks later
    #1946 4 years ago

Taking a road trip down to Asheville, Smokies, Chatt, etc...

Anywhere we should stop for Bourbon fun en route?
    Either places to shop for good stuff/rare stuff/etc...?
    or
    Places worth touring/checking out a distillery?

#1959 4 years ago
    00A8723F-B6EC-477B-8090-A199942FBEFF (resized).jpeg00A8723F-B6EC-477B-8090-A199942FBEFF (resized).jpeg3939B45C-6978-48EB-B2BF-07C3DC2F8B4F (resized).jpeg3939B45C-6978-48EB-B2BF-07C3DC2F8B4F (resized).jpeg5F6D02AF-EE0B-458C-AFBC-735E79BFA389 (resized).jpeg5F6D02AF-EE0B-458C-AFBC-735E79BFA389 (resized).jpegE7DDA413-B993-49A5-A6D7-B26665428363 (resized).jpegE7DDA413-B993-49A5-A6D7-B26665428363 (resized).jpeg321315EF-DCF6-4369-BE8B-4DA481E33498 (resized).jpeg321315EF-DCF6-4369-BE8B-4DA481E33498 (resized).jpeg
    #1963 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Another reason for that detour over this way. (:
    The Yee Haw brewery is about 100 yds from The Label and Silverball City.
    [quoted image]

Wish we had the time. Ended up at Asheville pinball museum. Side note: waste of time and the poorest maintained large public collection I have seen to date. Complete rip off for $15 entry. I suggest not visiting if in the area. Not a single game played 100% and many with messed up flippers and large portions just not working.

We did grab a bottle of old Forester prohibition at the local ABC so not all was lost

#1968 4 years ago

At gatlinburg pinball museum today if anyone wants to play.

WOW it is so much better here! Great selection and playing games!

Bring good bourbon if you come
    We still have not found any scores on this trip.

#1970 4 years ago

One solid find finally

What the hell is it? Come to the home of bourbon and hard to find anything worth note

269D20F4-2B3C-47A5-B851-92C54B4FE446 (resized).jpeg269D20F4-2B3C-47A5-B851-92C54B4FE446 (resized).jpeg
    #1972 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Ouch $70.. thats $48 around here.

Thx for letting me know. Lol

Unavailable around me so happy to even find a 10year age stamp on this vacation.

#1977 4 years ago

Because everyone and their brother rolls through KY and TN on the hunt for bourbon when they do the trail/tours...
    Friends that live down that way usually stock up when they are up here in Yankee land visiting.
    The whole insanity of all of this in recent years has me almost completely giving up looking for anything; I'm a relatively young man, and I've probably got enough of the good stuff bunkered for a good 15-20 years (if I average a bottle a month or so) bought at pre-insanity prices. The days of $170 cases of OWA are LLLLOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG gone...
    Should I tire of drinking owa/ec12/w12/er/ecbp, I doubt I'll have any problem finding regular old MM.
    Sorry for the doom and gloom, haha.
    I'm holding out hope that my couple regular, longtime loyal, mom and pop's call me in November for my yearly allocation of the antique collection, assuming they even get a bottle or two anymore.

I hear ya. I had not really realized how stupid it has gotten till this trip. We have been drinking good stuff since before it was a thing. Hell I remember pappy 23 sitting on my local place shelf 6 deep for months. Lol.

We stopped at BT on the way through and they are running tours 40 people deep every hour all day long every day. And the majority had not had a sip till the tasting at the end. It has really become more than I realized.

Glad I also have a stock pile of the stuff we like. May just have to ration for the next 8-10 year till supply reaches demand and demand likely falls.

#1984 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Heres Mckenna at my local grocery store. Full disclosure I have never seen it this cheap.[quoted image]

I am beginning to think bourbon is not as popular in your neck of the woods. Seems not only do you have cheap prices but also lots of good selection.

#1991 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Did you happen to go by the Dickel distillery? It was probably a little too close to Nashville if you drove down Chattanooga way.
    I would love to make it by some of the places in Nashville, especially the Pennington Distillery. Looks very cool for a "relatively" small operation.

We were only able to fit in BT, but would love to check out a few more sometime.

#1999 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

When you are down at the BT distillery do you hsve the ability to buy whatever you want or are the top botrles still not for sale there either?

Nothing really for sale of notE at BT. Monday’s and Friday’s they get Blantons but you need to be there early. They said when the big boys release that they occasionally will have spillage for sampling but sounds rare

#2000 4 years ago

Traveling from Bryson city to Chattanooga on Thursday. Anywhere worth stopping (either distillery, liquor store, or pinball) along the way?

Also, we still have room to take home a game if anyone has anything for sale? Rare, oddballs, or classics for reasonable prices all have my interest

#2004 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Not pinball or bourbon but from Bryson City, hope you made it up to lookout at Clingman's Dome. What a great view of the Smokey's.
    I've never been to the Chattanooga Pinball Museum but maybe it's better kept than the Asheville.

Yeah did lots of great hiking the past four days. Charlie’s bunion and yellow mountain were both great.

Side note, Chattanooga liquor stores have a WAY better selection and prices.

#2011 4 years ago

Open it and drink it!
    Life is short, you could die today, just Fing drink it!

#2013 4 years ago
    Quoted from flashsmith:

At some point I may open it up. I got lucky getting it at msrp. Truth be told I never had a desire for it because I never tasted it.I have this bad habit of actually drinking what I buy. I got it to possibly trade at some point for stuff I can never find on the shelf. If a collector comes along and wants it bad enough I would possibly make a deal. I'm actually kicking myself a little because I could have gotten something I wanted to drink. Hell I may get a 2 litre of Coke and mix it.lol

What do you line to drink but can’t find local? I will do a trade and then drink it.
    Serious. Lmk. I have done lots of trades for burbs in the past

#2049 4 years ago

Picked up on the trip. A few in each stop as we found fun or new stuff

0DF32EB2-1742-4312-8E5A-457D7F85675D (resized).jpeg0DF32EB2-1742-4312-8E5A-457D7F85675D (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #2136 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Someone please help me. I have Bourbon Acquisition Syndrome (BAS) and there’s no known cure.[quoted image]

The cure is simple! Start drinking more!

1 week later
    #2205 4 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Old Forester 2016 Birthday Bourbon 300.00

my only thought...

Probably my favorite OFBB year so far. Well worth the cost of entry (and not many bottles I would consider paying anywhere near that TBT).

#2235 4 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

And then there is bourbon... . So good.[quoted image]

good to see it is out now.

Unlikely I will find a bottle (just too damn popular), but at least I know to look harder now.

#2241 4 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Splurged a bit this weekend....[quoted image]

LMK how you like the OFBB?

#2243 4 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

That is definitely on my short list of bourbons I would love to try and own a bottle. I would invite my bourbon friends over to try also.

2016 is the best year if you can find it IMHO
    then 2018
    then 2017
    then 2015

finger crossed I will find a 2019 but signs point to doubtful with how popular it has all become

hands down my favorite behind Lot B (cant find that either)

#2253 4 years ago

hey all you boubon drinking fools.

Have you seen this thread?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-2019-secret-santa-program-sign-up-through-nov-15th-now-clo

Would you want to do something similar/ seperate for us Bourbon folks?
    Thinking $50 bottle minimum/expectation and emphasis on gifting something you like/local/rare/your secret person likes (do your research in the thread). Gift giver takes car of shipping expenses.

If we can get 10 people at minimum then I would organize on the back end.

Post up with a number if you are in...

1. Whysnow

#2259 4 years ago

anyone want to grab #3 ?

#2266 4 years ago

Do we have a #4?

#2269 4 years ago

Have you seen this thread?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-2019-secret-santa-program-sign-up-through-nov-15th-now-clo
    Would you want to do something similar/ seperate for us Bourbon folks?
    Thinking $50 bottle minimum/expectation and emphasis on gifting something you like/local/rare/your secret person likes (do your research in the thread). Gift giver takes car of shipping expenses.
    If we can get 10 people at minimum then I would organize on the back end.
    Post up with a number if you are in...
    1. Whysnow
    2. PinDelaPin
    3. Jgel

I will give this till Nov 22 to see if we can get 10 people on board.

#2271 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Maryland does not allow shipping of booze. What are the best ways that you have seen people get around this? If I can figure out a good solution, count me in.

fedex or UPS, NOT USPS.

Zero problem from the booze trades I have made (esp when just 1 750ml bottle)
    Wrap it extra well in a bubble wrap and extra paper. Declare as home made BBQ sauce if asked (I have never been asked)

When they say, liquid, fragile, perishable, etc...? Just say no.

There is some minimal risk that the bottle will never show up, but nothing else.

#2274 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

There is no shipping booze anywhere you have to have a license but you're also not supposed to speed. Just wrap it up in bubble wrap stuff it with newspaper seal it up and send it on its way. I don't even know how many bottles I've shipped and gotten sent to me with no problems.

the correct answer.

Honestly this is zero real life issue. Bourbon traders are shipping bottle all over all the time.
    there are whole forums and websites dedicated to it.

#2276 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Thanks for the advice. Count me in as 4.

1. Whysnow
    2. PinDelaPin
    3. Jgel
    4. DBLM
    5. ?
    6. ?
    7. ?
    8. ?
    9. ?
    10. ?

#2279 4 years ago

1. Whysnow
    2. PinDelaPin
    3. Jgel
    4. DBLM
    5. Chisox
    6. ?
    7. ?
    8. ?
    9. ?
    10. ?

Half way there, maybe a few more will have a pour tonight and jump in once they get a little liquid love.

#2283 4 years ago

1. Whysnow
    2. PinDelaPin
    3. Jgel
    4. DBLM
    5. Chisox
    6. Ypurchn
    7. ?
    8. ?
    9. ?
    10. ?

#2299 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

1. Whysnow
    2. PinDelaPin
    3. Jgel
    4. DBLM
    5. Chisox
    6. Ypurchn
    7. ?
    8. ?
    9. ?
    10. ?

Come on yall. Just need 4 more to make this a reality...

You are going to buy it to drink anyway, so might as well have some fun and buy a fav for another pinhead to enjoy. Hell, you may figure out a new favorite from what you get.

I mean no pressure, but buck up!

#2301 4 years ago

1. Whysnow
    2. PinDelaPin
    3. Jgel
    4. DBLM
    5. Chisox
    6. Ypurchn
    7. Fulltilt
    8. ?
    9. ?
    10. ?

#2318 4 years ago

1. Whysnow
    2. PinDelaPin
    3. Jgel
    4. DBLM
    5. Chisox
    6. Ypurchn
    7. Fulltilt
    8. Kkuoppamaki
    9. ?
    10. ?

2 more needed to make the fun happen. Come on in! The burbs tastes great. Hell I hope this happens as I already bought the likely present this past week when i was at a fav liquor store in Antioch IL

#2323 4 years ago

Stagg jr does nothing for me personally.

Blantons was good at 30 a bottle. More than that and ill pass. I like blantons but just consider it a daily drinker when it comes around.

#2324 4 years ago

1. Whysnow
    2. PinDelaPin
    3. Jgel
    4. DBLM
    5. Chisox
    6. Ypurchn
    7. Fulltilt
    8. Kkuoppamaki
    9. Bowz
    10. ?

#2326 4 years ago

1 slot left. Once filled i will random draw each persons secret santa.

I will request a PM from each of you titled "Bourbon SS"
    In the body of the PM I need
    1. Full Name
    2. Shipping address
    3. Fav bourbons or Preferred burbons in the $50 range if you would like to note your taste profile. Acceptable to leave blank if you like surprises and prefer it that way.
    4. Anything you really don't like. Feel free to note or leave blank also

I will provide this info to each person's santa so they can shop.

The rules are simple. You buy your person a bourbon that cost you $50 give or take a couple bucks ( feel free to go over, but don't be a cheap skate). Any size bottle is fine so long as you are hitting that price point. Please shop for something you like, maybe a local or rare for them, and something you hope your person will like. Encouaged to buy something they may not have tried or even something you may not normally buy for yourself.

You cover the additonal for packing and shipping. Pack it well and have it shipped on or before Dec Sixth. This should give ample time to shop and also ensure presents arrive before the holidays.

Last thing, Be thankful. everyone is asked to post a picture when your present arrives. Open it up, have a pour, and let us know what you like about it.

Cheers and have fun!

#2332 4 years ago

1. Whysnow
    2. PinDelaPin
    3. Jgel
    4. DBLM
    5. Chisox
    6. Ypurchn
    7. Fulltilt
    8. Kkuoppamaki
    9. Bowz
    10. TKDalumni

All spots taken. Please each send me a PM today with the below content. I will organize and do random draw as soon as I have each persons info.

Title the PM "Bourbon SS"
    In the body of the PM I need
    1. Full Name
    2. Shipping address
    3. Fav bourbons or Preferred burbons in the $50 range if you would like to note your taste profile. Acceptable to leave blank if you like surprises and prefer it that way.
    4. Anything you really don't like. Feel free to note or leave blank also

#2333 4 years ago

PM sent to those that have not seen and sent me one already.

Please get me info by tonight so I can make stuff happen.

#2334 4 years ago

Just waiting on 3 more to get info and then I will randomize and send out info to each.

#2338 4 years ago

cheers!

All santa info has been sent. Most had suggestions of what they like/ don't like. Those suggestions are simply a guide to help you! Dont feel pressured to get anything specific. This is your gift to give. What really matters is the thought.

I suggest having a little fun with it, do some internet stalking to see what they like, and make it something special.

This is going to be fun!

PLEASE PM me once you ship your gift so I know. DO NOT POST IN THE THREAD WHEN SHIPPED (that can ruin the surprise for some).

Please ship by Dec 6th at latest.

When you receive your bottle it is requested that you post a picture of the present, open the bottle, and post your review. Bourbon is for drinking so swing it and let us know what you think. Your santa will enjoy hearing from you.
    Feel free to open and enjoy as soon as you receive OR feel free to wait til your traditional holiday present opening.

Enjoy and THANKS for all that participated!

#2350 4 years ago

had a question about the SSanta.

Everyone has somebody different. I did a random number pick with serial exclusions to pick each persons Santa.

You are NOT buying for the person that is buying for you. This keeps it all a surprise for everyone.

#2359 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Jos. Magnus is pretty good but not $100+ good.

I thought the Magnus was sourced different all the time?

Some bottle are fantastic! Some are not my style. Depends on what they source. Local place just got some in that is WAY different than last time.

#2376 4 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

Will trade for project EM(s).
    [quoted image]

Call me jealous! I assume that is the 2019? If you can get a second, pls keep me in mind

#2384 4 years ago

Anyone had this? Never see it before. Tucked away in a hidden spot of a hole in the wall spot that sometimes has gems

5320A04F-D61E-40AA-9D83-8CAAA8E09BEB (resized).jpeg5320A04F-D61E-40AA-9D83-8CAAA8E09BEB (resized).jpeg
    #2391 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

cheers!
    All santa info has been sent. Most had suggestions of what they like/ don't like. Those suggestions are simply a guide to help you! Dont feel pressured to get anything specific. This is your gift to give. What really matters is the thought.
    I suggest having a little fun with it, do some internet stalking to see what they like, and make it something special.
    This is going to be fun!
    PLEASE PM me once you ship your gift so I know. DO NOT POST IN THE THREAD WHEN SHIPPED (that can ruin the surprise for some).
    Please ship by Dec 6th at latest.
    When you receive your bottle it is requested that you post a picture of the present, open the bottle, and post your review. Bourbon is for drinking so swing it and let us know what you think. Your santa will enjoy hearing from you.
    Feel free to open and enjoy as soon as you receive OR feel free to wait til your traditional holiday present opening.
    Enjoy and THANKS for all that participated!

Just a reminder... Get out and do your shopping folks.

Ship by Dec 6th. PM once you have shipped so I know.

#2402 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Well @Chisox I came across a bottle today and for $30 no way I was passing it up. Can't wait to try it for myself.[quoted image]

congrats and YUM!

I can't remember the last time I saw a bottle on the shelf!

#2412 4 years ago

if ANYONE stumbles on a 2019 OFBB, please just buy it and let me know.

Willing to pay a reasonable mark up and your shipping expenses.

#2428 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

Birthday? One of my stops had it for $500 a few weeks back. Too rich for my blood but if you’re interested I can run out tonight and check if he’s still got it.

Sorry, just saw this.
    Thx for the offer. $500 is too much.
    $300 I would spend.

#2454 4 years ago

reminder to get your SSanta bourbon packages in the mail by the 6th.

With turkey day, it will be here before you know it.

No need to post in here that you shipped (PM me)
    but
    PLEASE POST when your present arrives. Your santa will appreciate knowing you got it and would love to hear how you like it!

thanks

#2478 4 years ago

Bought the McKenna, then opted for the eagle.

Then the new manager decided to toss me a bone.

DD6C3CC7-0129-4487-93CA-0362852387E6 (resized).jpegDD6C3CC7-0129-4487-93CA-0362852387E6 (resized).jpeg
    #2481 4 years ago

thanks. It is the place that I buy from weekly. Only problem is that they seem to change managers each year. This guy and I hit it off and he has seen both the wife and I enough times to know we are good customers.

Retail was $109 for anyone wanting to know a data point if you find a bottle of the pappy 10yr.

I gotta be honest that this was really needed. Had a rough week and this was a nice turning point!

#2486 4 years ago

With the new bottle, it is time to finish last years 15yo

110AC077-7F81-4FB3-8254-759952D3156A (resized).jpeg110AC077-7F81-4FB3-8254-759952D3156A (resized).jpeg
    #2487 4 years ago

Yum

#2488 4 years ago

And then this happened. I should drink the pappy 15 more often! Best game on starlight ever!

EB857842-FA85-436D-9FD8-A179F2EA3F43 (resized).jpegEB857842-FA85-436D-9FD8-A179F2EA3F43 (resized).jpeg
    #2489 4 years ago

And the wife got the best starlight bonus ball counter ever, lol!

DB308836-D7CB-47CE-A987-ECAE8245CC7C (resized).jpegDB308836-D7CB-47CE-A987-ECAE8245CC7C (resized).jpeg
    #2490 4 years ago

Sticking w the 15yo tonight

5C593734-FC62-4164-B91E-B3676B101108 (resized).jpeg5C593734-FC62-4164-B91E-B3676B101108 (resized).jpeg
    #2501 4 years ago

Something I love about good clean 10+ yo stuff... I just dont get a hang over with it like I do many other things.
    I likely had just the right amount last night (balmers peak for my pinball playing) and feel fresh as the morning sun today.

#2506 4 years ago

I think I would have bought a case!

#2508 4 years ago

What does it take to do a barrel pick/buy a whole barrel?

#2510 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

No clue other than money to buy it.

We should figure out a Pinsiders barrel pick, all chip in, and then bring it to a show

#2545 4 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Ok, so I’ll post first that I got my package today, which came with 2 really cool airplane sized bottles, and a bottle of R.M. Rose, which I’d never heard of before, but that was the thinking by my SS-to try something I haven’t before, and he’s 100% correct on that.
    Thanks!!![quoted image]

open her up and let us know how it is!

never heard of that one!

#2550 4 years ago

Mine just showed up! So excited to open it and sample in a bit!!!

#2555 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Well what did you get?

Just opened it. Super excited to sample it! I did not even know they offered a 12year.

Heading out tonight but plan to make this my turkey day drink.

666F721A-4BF8-4CDD-84FE-7799A4C0CAC1 (resized).jpeg666F721A-4BF8-4CDD-84FE-7799A4C0CAC1 (resized).jpeg
    #2556 4 years ago

Thanks Santa!!!!!

#2557 4 years ago

Ok. F it. One quick sample before I head out seems fair.

Nice nose with some heat on the front end
    Nice mellow front and mid which had a heavy char (nice).

Back end is a solid hug but not over powering and the chat stays with the mouth feel which I enjoy. It has all the knob base characters but a bit more smooth in transition that likely comes from the age.

thanks again Santa. The guests on turkey day will enjoy this also!

2BE007F7-6735-4592-ADEF-9C323D908432 (resized).jpeg2BE007F7-6735-4592-ADEF-9C323D908432 (resized).jpegBFEE27F4-4E9A-4119-96CC-D32968F1AB3F (resized).jpegBFEE27F4-4E9A-4119-96CC-D32968F1AB3F (resized).jpeg
    #2572 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

This is how I do my black friday shopping.[quoted image]

did they have more than 1?

also, how much was that one?

one of my favs!

#2575 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

No it was only one bottle per person and was $199

great deal!

#2586 4 years ago

Lots is ssanta packages should be arriving.

Reminder to please post up once it arrives and let your Santa know you got it

#2608 4 years ago

Reminder that you need to ship out your SSanta gift by this Friday. no deadbeats here. Doing so will ensure the bourbon gods forever prevent you from big scores!

Also, even if not opening till the actual holiday, please post up that you received it so your santa knows (lots of porch pirates out there)

#2619 4 years ago
    Quoted from t8tony8t:

Picked up a new one today. Collection is almost set.[quoted image]

I did not realize that they release a 13yo rye this year....

How is it?

#2622 4 years ago
    Bourbon (resized).JPGBourbon (resized).JPG
    #2624 4 years ago

Any of these worth the cost of entry?

C1EE88CB-0D54-4773-BEDB-08680B875E08 (resized).jpegC1EE88CB-0D54-4773-BEDB-08680B875E08 (resized).jpeg
    #2629 4 years ago

thx all

I rarely do rye

#2633 4 years ago

man this is so awesome!

love seeing these arriving and packages getting opened!

\Reminder for those of you that have not shipped yet...
    Tomorrow is the deadline.

Please make it happen and message me to confirm you have shipped.

#2666 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Good day shopping. I’m more excited about the Russell’s Rye to be honest.[quoted image]

In that case, lmk how much you want for the lot B? Serious

#2670 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Donating it to my buddies charity auction, sorry.

This was an allocation from Binny’s because I spend an ungodly amount of money on booze. My store only got 3 or 4 bottles total, restaurants and bars are getting way more than usual this year from what I’ve been told.

Hit us with a link for the charity auction. Love to donate and get good booze

#2717 4 years ago

has anyone not received their Bourbon SS gift yet? if not, please PM me.

#2724 4 years ago

awesome of you to offer!

If you ever stumble on OFBB (Old Forester Birthday Bourbon) for $300 or less, then just buy it.
    Should be $150 or less retail, but some places seem to double the retail norm for allocated stuff.

#2727 4 years ago

lol

smartass

#2753 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I don’t mean to keep flexing with these bottles but further evidence to join all the local whiskey pages/clubs you can. Paid more than retail but still got a good deal. I really need to stop buying this stuff, but it’s so damn delicious.[quoted image]

How do I go about finding local clubs?

#2757 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Facebook/Instagram to start. Madison is one of the coolest towns in the country, there has to be multiple whiskey societies/clubs up there. Go to bars with good whiskey and chat up the bartenders and/or your local liquor stores. When you do private barrel selections it needs to be distributed to a local liquor store or bar. You’ll be holding that OF Birthday Bourbon before you know it.

thanks for the tips.

There are only 2 local Fbook clubs and they are dead sadly
    I will checkout insta and see what I find.

1 week later
    #2896 4 years ago

never seen that one. sounds tasty

#2917 4 years ago

Stopped at a place on way to family holiday stuff.

Anything of interest I should try?

54E208E5-59BC-4852-9026-8B5B35EAE102 (resized).jpeg54E208E5-59BC-4852-9026-8B5B35EAE102 (resized).jpeg82CF0B49-F8DD-49D5-8C17-473840410F7F (resized).jpeg82CF0B49-F8DD-49D5-8C17-473840410F7F (resized).jpeg8793EE09-03DC-4701-93DA-08510A2CD2B0 (resized).jpeg8793EE09-03DC-4701-93DA-08510A2CD2B0 (resized).jpeg8F8F5986-90F0-4B36-838D-28F444F9BE01 (resized).jpeg8F8F5986-90F0-4B36-838D-28F444F9BE01 (resized).jpegD32582E4-7AB1-4057-8297-A827D43A3D27 (resized).jpegD32582E4-7AB1-4057-8297-A827D43A3D27 (resized).jpegDD2BC2AD-AA42-44D7-B033-C085D397EC74 (resized).jpegDD2BC2AD-AA42-44D7-B033-C085D397EC74 (resized).jpeg
    #2943 4 years ago
    Quoted from New_England:

I would pick up a bottle of the McKenna10 at that price if you haven’t had it before.

I grabbed one but have not opened it yet.

Quoted from vaevictis:

Nice job on the secret Santa @whysnow. Sorry I missed that one.

It appeared to be a success this year so we will likely do it next year also.

#2967 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Stopped just now to pick up a bottle of Stagg Jr for a fellow Pinsider and this was on the counter...[quoted image]

Did you buy and how much?

I would like the George T

#2969 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

I only bought the JR. Price gouging!
    Owl was $370
    Pappy $500
    Stagg $750
    Didn’t ask price on the Willet.
    They did have 5 bottles of Blanton’s($90) and 5 bottles of Stagg JR($70)
    Do you really want a bottle of George? Let me know your price point if so.

Ooffff. More than I have to spend.

I have been completely priced out of these ultra rare allocations.

#2971 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

I have one person on the George Stagg wait list. If anyone else wants in let me know. Bottles slowly arrive, price point at 2 other locations is $350 and $400.

I would jump in at $350, if you wanted to ship and came by another.

Keep me posted and thanks in advance if it works out.

#2975 4 years ago

In NYC for the weekend. Any places worth hitting up for hunting?

#2978 4 years ago

Serious. In queens now. Exploring the city. Any liquor stores worth stopping at for good bourbon???

Any help appreciated

#2983 4 years ago

Picked up an orphan barrel at Astor. Great place

#2986 4 years ago

And now for some pinball

047F51C1-76B0-4D15-8B72-DC64DECA12DD (resized).jpeg047F51C1-76B0-4D15-8B72-DC64DECA12DD (resized).jpeg
    #2987 4 years ago

Time for a tasting.

Yum and well worth the price of entry.

334DC811-DA96-4E02-82F1-C743F9357CE3 (resized).jpeg334DC811-DA96-4E02-82F1-C743F9357CE3 (resized).jpeg
    #3016 4 years ago
    Quoted from Green-Machine:

My wife totally helped me understand this. She reminded me how I’ve worked my butt off for 30 years and now it’s time to enjoy some things

For sure!

Did you get retail at least?

#3018 4 years ago

All good

Treat yourself! You deserve it!

1 week later
    #3087 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Anybody found any good bottles here lately? I have been coming up short here for the past couple weeks. It seems like nobody has anything that I'm interested in at any of the stores that I stop in at regularly

all my honey holes have run dry of what I want

I still have one local place that has been holding back all allocated bottles for the past 12 months and is planning to do a donation raffle (pick a new charitable cause each week/month and for every dry good item you donate you get a lotto ticket to possible win the ability to purchase a good bottle)

I am excited by this system as it will drag out the hunting season over the drier months, I like supporting local charities, and this should be a fun way to hold my interest and keep me in there buying bottles.

#3092 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

I can get the Elmer for sure. Not so sure on the Weller. The real question is what is your price limit?

what price you seeing on Elmer?

I would take a few bottle if it is reasonable.

#3096 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

I know of one Elmer for 199.

that is insane price!

Even the high dollar store I stopped at in NYC is was $90 (I passed)

#3100 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

George T. Stagg releases for $99. Good luck with that...

I think we were both talking about Elmer.

Last year it was $40. This year (what little I saw) it was $60.

Secondary was $90-150

I would agree that it is not worth much over $60

#3118 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

And yes, clear ice makes bourbon taste better so clear ice FTW!

or no ice

My preferred method.

#3123 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Damn I can't do warm bourbon. I have to have an my drinks on ice and none of those damn flaky ice balls either

Cold hides too much flavor imho

#3169 4 years ago

Anyone seen any Elijah Craig 18year from 2019?

What was it selling for?

#3171 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Nope I haven't seen any [quoted image]

what was retail?

also, when you cracking it open to tell us how it is?

#3176 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

I got it for $200 at a special store opening event for total wine. I know it goes for closer to $350 at a another place

Thanks for sharing. I feel much better now. I paid $225 shipped

#3182 4 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

That’s a College Football Championship size pour of 2013 OFBB...couldn’t last forever [quoted image]

Yum!

#3196 4 years ago

Hope it’s good!!!

What was your retail on that?

It is a fave of mine. Hope you like it.

#3205 4 years ago

Nice score! Let us know your thoughts

#3207 4 years ago

My bottle should arrive on Friday! Just in time for the weekend.

If you decide you don’t like it, pls keep me in mind for any future bottles you find

#3210 4 years ago

What bottles do you have coming?

EC18 from 2019. Had to buy on secondary but happy to find one.

#3213 4 years ago

It begins with a fruity, spicy smell and then gets even better on the tongue. The flavor is a mix of sweet caramel and vanilla, with enough oak -- but not too much -- to give it complexity. It closes with a finish that is warm and succulent. Cleans off a little quicker than I would like.

so you like everything but the lack of a long hug?

#3224 4 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

Damn, I really didn't want to spend $130 for a bottle of hooch, but I think you guys may have convinced me to pick up some EC18. Going to hit my go-to store tomorrow, and if they have it, I'm going to buy.

ummmm If they have multiples then hook a brother up!

#3231 4 years ago

One is fun. But 2 is twice as nice.

Like pinball, there is usually no additional charge when shipping a second in the same package.

Secondary market so I paid $450 shipped for the pair, but I wanted them and will drink em.

9A2A735E-4392-44C1-A91A-2F54A94ACAD8 (resized).jpeg9A2A735E-4392-44C1-A91A-2F54A94ACAD8 (resized).jpeg
    #3239 4 years ago
    Quoted from New_England:

Spent the week in Denver. This was my haul.[quoted image]

What is the odd bottle on left?

#3249 4 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Anyone know how this compares to EC barrel proof? That's one of my faves, but there seems to be diminishing returns past $100 or so.

Just opened the first bottle of EC18 and it is still so damn good! So happy I bought two and will be hunting for some more to stock up

#3265 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

What to do on your birthday when trying to not open that Pappy?
    Have some George T. and finish shopping that pin of course. (:
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

happy Bday! Open the Fing Pappy. You only have a Bday once a year and shit... we could all be dead tomorrow.

bottoms up!

#3267 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

But it's scheduled for next B'day... the Medicare Birthday!

you will find another by then...

and if you dont, the just buy one on the secondary.

#3300 4 years ago

Seeing as I am the the local bourbon contrarian, do you find enough difference in the single barrel to justify the cost over the regular small batch?
    I LOVE both, but in these parts, the small batch is around $36, and the single is around $70.
    And as previously stated, the once "available if you looked around enough" barrel proof variety has now achieved unicorn status...and for any of the annual varietal releases? You better have a special relationship with your local booze monger if you want to possibly pay retail.
    Cheers!

I personally find small batch to be 'safer', but single barrel is more 'fun' to see what you get.

Small batch also seems to be smoothed out compared to the complex and punch of a single.

JMHO

For the price, small batch is good.
    However, the odd/fun/knowledge that you are drinking from a single barrel is also part of all this.

#3327 4 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

I just haven’t even seen any Weller at all in a long time around here. So glad I like Wild Turkey 101 I can get that everywhere

same

ZERO Weller and if EHT shows up, it is gone before I ever see it.

1 week later
    #3438 4 years ago

How is this?

A0E9E69C-D179-4C80-BA10-081CCF49EA7C (resized).jpegA0E9E69C-D179-4C80-BA10-081CCF49EA7C (resized).jpeg
    #3477 4 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

Happy Birthday to me.
    [quoted image]

HBD!

#3521 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Todays stupid Poll question..
    How many bottles of one particular bourbon do you have and is there a limit to how many bottles you should have of a particular bourbon before you become a hoarder?
    The most I have is 6 bottles of the Weller green label and the second most I have is 5 bottles of the Stagg Junior. A lot of the harder to come by Bourbons I just buy them when I see him that way I know I will have a bottle on hand.

same. if it is a bottle I really enjoy then 1 open and 4 in reserve is the proper amount for my household (wife and I both enjoy)

if it is a rare to find bottle I enjoy, then I always buy and stock. I would be lucky to have more than 2, but would take more when I find it at retail.

Last is the bottles I buy to try and we have lots of those open at any given time.
    Once we get too many opens, it is time to have a party and host to kill some off.

In our house we like to drink it and not collect or hoard it. Much like pinball, good and rare stuff is meant to be shared. If the 15y pappy is open, then we drink it with minor rationing. Life is way too fucking short. Catching a buzz with friends is important.

#3539 4 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Why open all bottles when it’s a store pick? Honest question....

To compare.

Horizontals and Verticals are a fun way to develop your pallet and see what you like.

#3553 4 years ago

If you don’t like the knob line, then I don’t think anything they make will be appealing. Knob is a very distinct bite and pallet.

#3603 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Well i took Whysnow's advice and broke this bitch open. Who knows tomorrow may never come so pour me up a glass![quoted image]

Wise man!

#3612 4 years ago

I will be heading to the UK in a week for a work trip. Evenings should have some free time.

Anything in particular I should hunt for to ship home to myself?

#3614 4 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

I was told Pappy was a lot easier to find in England, so you might be on the hunt for that.

well that would be awesome! you just made me much more excited for this trip!!!

#3619 4 years ago

Blanton's SFTB.
    Maybe some other oddball export-only offerings as well, but definitely SFTB.

what is SFTB?

#3622 4 years ago

thanks

will keep a look out!

2 weeks later
    #3852 4 years ago

I have not seen small batch on the shelf for probably a year

703DF511-40FA-4306-B4FD-99588517918F (resized).jpeg703DF511-40FA-4306-B4FD-99588517918F (resized).jpeg
    #3855 4 years ago

I am all for a good bottle share post finals at pinburgh

1 week later
    #3968 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

OK I’m back at this crazy son of a bitch. First two PMs will get a free sample of this so I can tell if it’s all that.[quoted image]

Sample arrived and THX! Very nice.

The heat hits quick but never hugs hard. Persistence but nice.

Full of leather and tobacco. This is a very good old school taste. Different in how much the flavor holds in your mouth.

I am a fan and will pick some up.

It is also sweet on the edges of the younger for quite some time. That is different for me. Usually the sweet hit up front but this one holds.

Thx again!

D4E27AB1-37BC-466D-8C9C-7727DD3BB1E8 (resized).jpegD4E27AB1-37BC-466D-8C9C-7727DD3BB1E8 (resized).jpeg
    #4023 4 years ago
    Quoted from New_England:

What should I drink tonight?[quoted image]

week is pretty fucked from my perspective.

I suggest getting on the high shelf, or the really good stuff in the bunker and start drinking.

#4053 4 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Pick ups from the last few months...are you supposed to leave these things sealed??[quoted image]

nah

they go bad and get cork rot if you leave them sealed.

drinking them is the only way to treat them.

#4061 4 years ago

Cheers

Love this stuff

0EE5D301-62B7-4836-B22A-17937E1C150F (resized).jpeg0EE5D301-62B7-4836-B22A-17937E1C150F (resized).jpeg
    #4066 4 years ago

Cheers. Our bottles are from very close barrels. Pretty cool

#4073 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Damn, I want to be in the cool kid club. What is retail on those? I see them on secondary for about $180 around here. Is that crazy talk?

If you can find retail it is around $130

I paid $200 per on secondary and well worth it for me.

Honestly one of my favorites. Just so much flavor and smooth. Plus it holds in your mouth so long! I usually don’t like anything over 15y as it gets too woody. EC18 esp from 2019 dumping is just so good!

#4093 4 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Emergency!! Need help...what do I do??[quoted image]

mail it to me and I will fix it.

#4111 4 years ago

This thread is for pinball and bourbon!

I will allow other spirits talk in limited quantities

Speaking of... about time for a pour with an early dinner.

#4215 4 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

It's a nice bottle. We gave some of these to our employees so they can better tolerate their significant others.

i mean... if you need to ship a bottle north you know where I am

we can skype and drink if ya want?

#4257 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Whysnow who in the hell did you piss off?[quoted image][quoted image]

please dont bring that BS in here

#4316 4 years ago

I think zoom premium is unlimited time?

Anyone have that?

Would be great to have a Friday evening 'happy hour' for this group.
    Set up in advance and I can make my schedule work.

#4325 4 years ago

keep drinking! it will be better

#4341 4 years ago

was anyone setting up a zoom? meeting for happy hour this friday?

#4346 4 years ago

I like webex and have used it for work, but dont have a personal account set up

#4407 4 years ago

Really fun time hanging out tonight guys!

Thx for setting this up sir Scott and super needed! Most fun I have had in a few weeks. Also a bit buzzed

#4425 4 years ago

Thank you to Mr. Snow for the compliments on my artwork. Much appreciated. I am my own biggest critic

Not sure if you saw my comment before you cut out.

Link or PM me where I can possibly buy a painting. Really like the style and love supporting good art.

#4496 4 years ago

Anyone know of any secondary market groups where a guy could find some reasonable prices (still secondary obv).

I used to check out the various Fbook groups and bottlespot when I felt like splurging. Those have all been shut down.

Please PM if anyone knows of any, as best not to list them publicly.

I am specifically wanting to find Old Fitz and try it out.

#4504 4 years ago

sell me the OFBB and you drink the GTS

deal!

#4519 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Don't be racist now. It's the "Wuhan" virus.

none of it in here please.

This is a thread without that stuff. Please respect it.

#4527 4 years ago
    8EA978F7-79D4-42BD-9338-16337470CE99 (resized).jpeg8EA978F7-79D4-42BD-9338-16337470CE99 (resized).jpeg
    #4542 4 years ago

Anyone have a bottle of old Fitz 15 they may want to trade, sell, etc...?

I have tapped any and all sources I can find. All the secondary spots I know of are now shut down. Looking for a score of something new while in the isolation booth of life.

#4545 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I’ll keep an eye open but FYI they’re approaching $350 these days.

Understand and thx!

#4553 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Pretty sure I can get Old Fitz. Not sure of the price point though. What’s the ceiling for you guys? I’ll be able to hit up a few of my spots on Friday to check so let me know. Also, I see there are different kinds, so not sure if you guys are only seeking out one particular kind.

looking for the 15. Happy to pay retail, plus shipping, plus some for your effort and time.

Also happy to return the favor if there is anything you want that I have access to.

#4589 4 years ago

nice!

#4602 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Ok boys here it is time to side by side these 2.[quoted image]

Well....?

#4621 4 years ago

That time again [quoted image]

i like how you think!

what you drinking tonight?

#4646 4 years ago

10 barrels of your special pick for us all to share?

#4650 4 years ago

Today’s restocking. Had to grab groceries so glad to make the trip worth it!

Blantons for $75. Most I have ever spent on it, but first bottle I have even seen in ages!

Hope this rye is good cause it was way too much. Have heard good things and wife tends to like these double oak w sweet layers so should be a nice surprise for her.

85FDE98B-6404-4486-B273-C94874BFDC5B (resized).jpeg85FDE98B-6404-4486-B273-C94874BFDC5B (resized).jpeg
    #4661 4 years ago

Oh man! Congrats on the pick up!

#4709 4 years ago

What is the price point on that barrell?

anyone want to snag me one and do a mutual trade? I could ship you some of that J Henry (WI stuff that is fantastic!)

#4712 4 years ago

between $80-$90...
    I saw an EC18 sitting on a shelf, at $260, fwiw, but I can't imagine you would want to spend that +shipping...

cool! That is pretty similar in price point to the J Henry currently.

Would love one of those store picks that you got pindelapin. LMk if interested in working a mutual ship trade.

Thx on the EC18, but that price is crazy for retail. I think last I bought on secondary was just over 200

#4713 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

I paid $89, no tax. They had both batches #22 and #23 in stock. If you want one I can grab you one tomorrow.

sorry, I should have been more clear. Was interested in the 18year of the Barrell

#4715 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

After having that Barrel bourbon 18yr I don't want anymore EC 18yr

can you score me a bottle?

for trade?

#4717 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

I'm on vacation this week so I won't be at any of my shops I hit until next week. I can call over there and see if he has anymore left. I was definitely wanting to pick up another bottle of it so if he has any I could tell him to reserve me two. It goes for $130 bucks a bottle so you'll have to let me know if you're serious about wanting one. Its a store pick also he picked the barrel out himself and this guy hss a great pallet.

YES!

I will take 1 for sure and thanks!

#4741 4 years ago

best place to get some sample bottles?

Would like to send out some blind samples to some buddies for a tasting. Also to get some favors out to others that have been helpful with hunts.

#4743 4 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

amazon.com link »

thx

done

#4745 4 years ago

Any good?[quoted image]

supposedly from heavenhill source liquid? unsure if true.

Gets good reviews, but I dont remember it being a standout when I had it (i.e. good but not great)
    If $40-50 I would pick up for sure. Granted I tend to like barrel strength that is a little more mild like that one.

#4760 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Here's the link for getting together tonight at 9 EDT to drink some bourbon and talk pinball. Who's in?
    https://us04web.zoom.us/j/6945227518

I need to do some house stuff but may be able to make.

I am more of Weekend drinker while in this isolation mode and too many projects and early work on weekdays.

#4799 4 years ago

fun times last night w the crew on zoom.

PM me your deets if you were on last night and wanna play that game I referenced.

#4811 4 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

That goddamn Peerless will be the death of me...I don’t even remember how many pours I had, but it was definitely 1 too many. They just closed schools in Illinois for the rest of the year, so I’ll have more nights like last night with 2 high schoolers and a teenager locked down for another month.

I blame GA stuff

I will hunt down Pearless next time I am out.

Sample bottles arrive on Monday from Amazon...

Rest of you MFers need to PM address info. I probably have it from SSanta crap but dont wanna dig.
    Will be a 4 bottle blind.
    I will # and mail out.

Then once they arrive, we will set up a Friday night zoom in a coming week to test and I reveal. Should be fun.

#4812 4 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #4833 4 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

Road trip today...
    How did I do? OF1910 not pictured, forgot it in vehicle.[quoted image]

Where did you score?

#4861 4 years ago

congrats on the new house Green-machine!

How many will you be able to fit?

Also, lots of nice bourbon scores for the crew lately! loving that.

I found what I think is an almost ideal new bourbon cabinet.
    Appears to be a wine locker from an upscale restaurant.
    Unfortunately about 8 inches too wide, so putting in the spot it would go in the kitchen would mean I lose 1 kitchen pinball machine from the line up...

Not sure that is the right trade off.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #4879 4 years ago

is the bowler done?

#4886 4 years ago

Is the bakers 7 worth picking up?

I loved the 13 from chisox

#4888 4 years ago

Assuming my mailing supplies arrive this week, then these will ship by Friday.

449A2AE9-4207-4DC9-A2CD-3B3619D3A9BE (resized).jpeg449A2AE9-4207-4DC9-A2CD-3B3619D3A9BE (resized).jpeg
    #4895 3 years ago

We been having a bit more fun here since self isolation started up

I like rowans. Nothing special but solid.

#4905 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Is it ok to switch from different brands in one night or do most prefer to stick to just one bottle if having more than one glass? Just curious what you all do and think about it. I have done both at times but think it might be best to stick to one kind but not entirely sure. I feel if I switch I don’t get the true taste of a glass in the bottle.

I prefer multiple smaller pours. I also like to stay within a distiller for the evening (all Buffalo Trace, or all heavenhill, or all XXXXX) as I think it is fun to compare and develop my taste to see what I like.

It then makes it fun to hunt based on those taste profiles I like.

For example, I find I tend to like 8-15 year old bourbon, w 12 being a sweet spot in many cases.
    I dont like the high proof stuff as much as many do. It is good but the hug can be too long for me, so I tend to focus on 90-105 proof.
    I dont like the cheery, sherry, etc... finished stuff in most cases. Again, a nice change but I prefer the good old classic.
    When I find a mash bill I like, then it is fun to hunt out those other similar ones and really dig in to see how stuff is different.

I really enjoy doing a vertical.

One of my favorite experiences was going to a bar (before this was really so popular) and we did a vertical of Pappy. 1.5oz pour of the 10, 12, 15, 20, and 23, and Saz. Line up all up and sip to see what you liked best

That said, everyone has different methods and also different pallets so to me it can be really fun to learn what others enjoy.

#4912 3 years ago

Worth getting?

69DE708B-F6B9-4CF7-8EA0-FE6ED45C445B (resized).jpeg69DE708B-F6B9-4CF7-8EA0-FE6ED45C445B (resized).jpeg
    #4915 3 years ago

I am in!

#4917 3 years ago

Have any of you used a power mate dolly for moving pins up stars?

I have an escalara and love it.

#4944 3 years ago

still waiting on shipping supplies to arrive.

Sample packs are sitting here waiting...
    Hoping to have them in the mail by Friday.

#4965 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Told work to not expect me tomorrow, so you’ll be seeing a lot of me tonight, Cheers![quoted image]

what do you think about the widow jane stuff?

#4989 3 years ago
    Quoted from DeadFlip:

Haha how dare you!

when this covid crap is all over, I will show up at the studio with a good bottle and a sleeping bag.

We will make a proper go at killing the bottle.

#4991 3 years ago

Similar style to that vertical idea
    Drinking up in proof in the same brand

F662E3A2-B12B-4FBE-AC2D-BA0DC5FDC69B (resized).jpegF662E3A2-B12B-4FBE-AC2D-BA0DC5FDC69B (resized).jpeg
    #4994 3 years ago

Can’t zoom tonight but maybe sat night?

Also, playing this classic tonight

#4998 3 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I could possibly do Saturday as well. Have never played Warlock. How is it?

Great game. Fun on the fly type ruleset for the era and great shooting game.

#5010 3 years ago

any 4roses product is a win in my book for first intro to daily sippers.

#5024 3 years ago

Oh man!!!! So pumped!!!

Should I wait for sat night drunken zoom fun or crack it tonight?

9AB816DC-48DD-45D6-B9AB-5CE81F19EF05 (resized).jpeg9AB816DC-48DD-45D6-B9AB-5CE81F19EF05 (resized).jpeg
    #5031 3 years ago

F it.

Not waiting. Been a week. Time to compare.

4414CD7B-F529-4DBB-A53A-595E133FFBEA (resized).jpeg4414CD7B-F529-4DBB-A53A-595E133FFBEA (resized).jpeg
    660 posts in this topic match your search for posts by whysnow. You are on page 1 of 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.