Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vaevictis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#47 7 years ago

Definitely a thread I can get behind too! Scored the 2016 OFBB yesterday. I've been chasing bourbon longer than I've been collecting pins-but it is all about the thrill of the hunt! Probably going to save this bottle for Thanksgiving or Christmas. May have to christen the next pin with it! Current daily drivers vary between Evan Williams BiB, Turkey 101, and Rittenhouse. Are you guys still seeing Old Weller Antique in the wild at retail?

KIMG0170 (resized).jpgKIMG0170 (resized).jpg

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

If anyone sees any at your local store, please grab me a bottle or two. Ill happily pay for it plus the shipping!

Sorry, I was on a list. Waiting for my BTAC lottery now. The hunt continues though.

4 months later
    #91 7 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Hey, I thought I drank more of your BT the other night than that, I must be getting old!
    I almost hate to say it because I don't want even more people buying it all when it's available but if you've not tried the 12 y/o W.L. Weller you are missing out. I have one bottle of 15 y/o Pappy and I will have to disagree with those of you that say it's not in the top 10, definitely in the top 5 of anything I've ever had.

That stuff is near impossible to find in the wild these days-I've looked in Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington, Dallas, and all over Maryland, DC, Virginia, and Delaware. Heck, OWA is the pretty much the same. I've seen one bottle of 12 year W.L. Weller in the last year, in a case for somewhere in the neighborhood of $100-no thanks!!! Flippers aren't just in pinball.

1 month later
    #111 6 years ago

Because this isn't primarily a bourbon or whiskey forum, I feel my secret is safe here-I scored six bottles of Old Weller Antique at retail yesterday. I may have to go get a case Friday if they have any left!

KIMG1786 (resized).jpgKIMG1786 (resized).jpg

5 months later
    #129 6 years ago

swillie When I first joined Pinside I thought everyone being able to tell/recognize so much stuff from photos was crazy or exceptionally eagle eyed...I'm still trying with pinball, but what Willett Family Reserve is that? Looks like you have some Thomas H Handy and the old style bottle/label OWA 107. More intriguing is the company that Booker's is keeping with Van Winkle 15? and Lot B or Rye? Either way, very nice collection. I've also cut back on the bourbon hunting this year, it's gotten crazy.

#133 6 years ago

swillie That's a sweet collection. In the last few years I've gotten a bottle each of William Larue Weller, George T Stagg, and a Thomas H. Handy. I scored a Four Roses Small Batch LE two years ago (Jim Rutledge's last). I haven't found the occasion to open any of them yet... I have found and enjoyed some Willett Family Reserve 8 year rye and got in on the EH Taylor Four Grain earlier this spring. Still have half a bottle of the Four Grain and a full bottle out of the three 8 year ryes that I got. I've been in bunker mode for pretty much the last year. My daily sippers are the likes of Evan Williams BiB, Rittenhouse, or Turkey 101. As a matter of fact, I was just telling a bourbon buddy this weekend that I was pretty much not going to be hunting this fall. Not three hours ago, I got a call from a liquor store a couple of counties over that I have a relationship with offering me either a Thomas H Handy or Van Winkle Lot B....at retail?!? Just when you think you're out, they pull you back in. Needless to say, I choose the Lot B. Hopped in the car right quick, hit the ATM and got there quick as I could. Miracles can still happen and I'll be raising my glass to you and your kid come March 31, 2022. Wishing good mojo to any Pinsiders on the hunt this fall.

KIMG1669 (resized).jpgKIMG1669 (resized).jpg

2 months later
    #154 6 years ago

The current state of bourbon in my corner of the East Coast-very excited to locate a 1.75 L of Weller Special Reserve (pictured with a 750 ml old & new label for comparison) up the road. OWA and 12 are still endangered (perhaps extinct) species, haven't seen them standard on shelves in years, but I did track down this unique albino Sika here in Maryland. How did your hunting go this past fall/winter? Are we at a "bubble" for bourbon? In my experience, pretty much anything with a +8 year age statement is north of $50. Hard to find decent daily sippers. Is there anything that you're really looking forward to this year? I'm intrigued by a second edition of the Taylor Four Grain and what Four Roses has in store this year, but have difficulty justifying the prices.

KIMG0513 (resized).jpgKIMG0513 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #163 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Need a recommendation for a premium bourbon. Something a step above Blanton's, but not crazy like Pappy. Something in the $70-80 range that you actually have a chance of finding somewhere. Thanks!

Not sure how pricing/availability is where you are, but here are my recommendations. Bookers, Willett Family Estate in the 8-9 year range, Old Scout Single Barrel, Reservoir, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. Four Roses Single Barrels and generally anything from the EH Taylor line are also excellent choices.

#167 6 years ago

What's your daily sipper and how do you take it? I generally enjoy my bourbon neat, and my daily sipper is generally Wild Turkey 101 or Evan Williams Bottled in Bond.The Booker's I have open right now, clocks in at 126.7 proof. So, that's x 1.5 bottles of comparable 80 proof stuff. That's a lot of flavor, it can be hot and spicy. I let it breathe and maybe cut it with a little water. It's bourbon and meant to be drank and enjoyed, also great in cocktails. I think it's a great deal for the proof that your getting and it's the most widely available and best priced barrel proof on the market. Stagg Jr. and Elijah Craig Barrel Strength are similarly proofed, as is Col EH Taylor Barrel Proof-but these are limited release products that are more difficult to track down.

#171 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

My go to is Elijah Craig. Very smooth. Great taste for the money.

Try and find some Elijah Craig Barrel Proof! The extra proof is worth it!

1 week later
    #177 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

I have not read this entire thread and asked this in the scotch thread as well but thought I would ask here also......does anyone think the glass really matters? I got a set of NORLAN glasses and sampled stuff in several different t glasses to compare....a slight difference I suppose personally and it does make it smell and taste much more robust I guess is how I would describe it. Regardless I think good whiskey or scotch is going to taste good. What glass is best in your opinion?

Pickle I would say it depends if you're drinking neat or not. I think that a regular Glencairn works just as well as a Norlan at a quarter of the cost. No idea why they introduced a Black version of the Norlan. I mean I get the idea behind it, but I like to see my whiskey. Personally, I generally go neat and use either a rocks glass or Glencairn. A Glencairn or Norlan does let you appreciate the nose more though IMO

3 months later
    #183 5 years ago

Pretty excited about this one. A. Smith Bowman's LE Abraham Bowman 16 year 116 proof wheated bourbon "Sweet XVI". Distillery in Fredericksburg and is owned by Sazerac. The distillate comes from Buffalo Trace before it is distilled a third time at A. Smith Bowman!

KIMG0133 (resized).jpgKIMG0133 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #198 5 years ago

2018 news and updates straight from the Buffalo's mouth:

https://buffalotracedistillery.com/sites/default/files/Buffalo%20Trace%20Gives%20Update%20To%20Bourbon%20Shortages%20for%202018.pdf

Additionally, sporazoa Whysnow and anyone else interested in bourbon/whiskey/whisky history. While Buffalo Trace produces both Elmer T. Lee and Pappy, the brands are owned by a different entities. Age International, a whiskey concern now based in Japan actually owns the Ancient Age, Blanton's, Elmer T. Lee, Hancock's Reserve, and Rock Hill Farm brands. The Van Winkle brand is apparently managed as joint venture by BT/Sazerac and the Van Winkle family. As we all love analogies with pinball, I would liken Buffalo Trace to the Chicago Gaming Company/Churchill Cabinet Company. Though, it is an imperfect comparison. The Age International story is better told in the link below.

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2013/12/it-was-best-of-times-it-was-worst-of.html

Now for some bourbon "shots"

KIMG0657 (resized).jpgKIMG0657 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #216 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

don't know if someone has mentioned this one yet, but a nice, powerful sipper w a unique taste
    [quoted image]

Heard good things about Barrell, just not in any of the local shops. Each release is unique sourced barrel strength IIRC. I'm a fan of 107 proof!

#217 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

keep running into these, so I keep buying them. Delicious.
    [quoted image]

EHT Single Barrel is harder to come by these days. I'd do the same. What's everyone hunting this year, now that the season is upon us? I'm on the lookout for Weller CYPB and BTAC-though I probably missed the Weller train.

#220 5 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

That is the good stuff - good luck.

Sometimes you've got to treat yourself. Besides, it's (generally) cheaper and easier to store than a pin. My current daily sippers are Evan Williams Bib, Turkey 101 (always in season), or OGD 114.

#221 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I’m going hunting tomorrow since BT just dropped a bunch of bottles into the Chicago area. I have a lead on CYPB and 12 but I’m not too optimistic. I’ve completely given up on BTAC. Too many flippers are ruining it for the drinkers.

I'm patiently waiting for the calls from my buddies or my honey holes. My last score (first release EHT Four Grain) from a honey hole, they really came through for me. All about developing relationships and supporting the local guys! Good luck on the bourbon hunt this season to all my pin brethren.

KIMG1273 (resized).jpgKIMG1273 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #232 5 years ago
    Quoted from HisboyElroy:

I picked this up at an auction recently. I'm not a huge Bourbon guy but I've heard really good things about Pappy Van Winkle and apparently it's really tough to find so I thought I'd grab it...
    [quoted image]

Good buy

2 months later
    #262 5 years ago

I missed the BTAC and Pappy cut this year, still holding for some Four Roses LE. Chasing the unicorns. A buddy lucked into a Handy for $130 on the shelf and another was able to get GTS for $239. Elmer T Lee and Weller 12 haven't been seen in years. A bartender friend was able to pick me up an ETL in DC for $40 three years ago, but I think they called in some kinda favor. Are we at peak bourbon? Good luck with hunt this year all. Remember to support your local store!

1 month later
    #311 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

MC of this was 12 bottles. 3 per box yes
    [quoted image][quoted image]

My long lost friend, how have you been?

#331 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

MC of this was 12 bottles. 3 per box yes
    [quoted image][quoted image]

cjmjmm2006 I should also add; while I like to consider myself a unicorn hunter, you sir, are apparently a unicorn slayer!

#342 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I’m sure that’s part of it. Once you get hooked on the higher proof barrel strength stuff even BIB seems a bit thin.

I have to agree. My current daily sipper is Turkey 101, the 80 proof stuff neat is quite thin.

#343 5 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Been pretty lucky with the Weller lately-got a hookup that saves me a bottle every time it comes in...
    [quoted image]

Nice scores. I have yet to see the new Weller 12 in the wild.

#383 5 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

This makes me feel better. Antique around here is a huge deal. W12 is a unicorn

ypurchn In my last four years (since the "shortages" began) of bourbon hunting, I've seen Antique in the wild on four occasions, three of those times they were store picks available for a reasonable price. The other time it was something in the neighborhood of $100-$150. Can't recall exactly, but not a price I was willing to pay. How often do you see it down in Georgia? Weller SR used to be relatively easy to locate, but that's gonna away too as of late. Merry Christmas to all!

#385 5 years ago

Christmas gift my brother picked up from one of the craft guys. I'm going to have to steer him towards the Willett gift shop stuff next time he's in the area. I really dig the presentation and the fact he got the founders to sign the bottle. Time will tell if the juice is worth the squeeze. All in all a very thoughtful gift. Hope all you Pinsiders had a great day. I'm off to sip a few and chase some scores.

KIMG2380 (resized).jpgKIMG2380 (resized).jpg
    #390 5 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

I don’t really actively hunt bourbon but if I’m in a different part of town I’ll drop in a liquor store. Finding anything higher than Weller SR on the shelf is unheard of. Even that gets held a lot of times. Most places are up to charging $22-25 for a 750 of SR. Everyone now holds their bottles for regulars. My bottle of antique took me warming up to the liquor store close to my house over the last 6 months. I came in for my usual buy of Very Old Barton’s and he had a bottle of antique for me stashed behind the counter. Paid a stupid premium but I plan on sharing it with my BIL is in town on leave for Christmas.
    I find the best stuff in the shiftiest parts of town usually in the worst looking liquor stores. Different clientel more concerned with Mad Dog or Patron so the bourbon will be priced at or very close to MSRP and they’re usually thankful I’m buying it cause it’s covered in dust. Snagged an old labeled Weller SR 6 months ago.
    I used to buy Weller SR for ~$12 bottle just 2-3 years ago. I’m ready for the bourbon fad to pass like cigars did a decade ago.

Reminds me a trip I took to Fredericksburg 3-4 years ago. I was meeting a friend coming down Route 301 from Annapolis. We rendezvoused in the parking lot of a strip mall off 301 on the Maryland side. Left a vehicle in the lot and carpooled over to Virginia; hit a couple of the ABCs, toured a few breweries and a the A. Smith Bowman distillery. All in all, a good day. On the way back, on a whim decided to check out the small mom and pop liquor store in the lot. Found 6 bottles of old label Weller SR on the bottom shelf for I believe $16.99/$17.99 or so. We weren't going to get greedy, grabbed two each, but the owner we clear out the rest of the dustys. Trill of the hunt, generally more affordable than pinball these days.

1 month later
    #453 5 years ago
    Quoted from PrinzFred:

Loved reading this post. A shoutout to the Duke of Bourbon in Medieval Madness. A perfect marriage of two of my favorite hobbies.
    At my pinball bar we have Jack in the well, and Bulleit (bourbon / rye), Woodford Reserve, and Laws on the shelf. I think Bulleit Bourbon is a great value / quality alternative. At home I also enjoy Bookers and Basil Hayden’s with a nightly game of pinball.

The Duke of Bourbon is the patron saint of this thread.

2 weeks later
    #476 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Is Stagg really $400 now? Hmm, I guess I should savor the bottle I got for $49 a few years ago.
    Why does everything I like when no one else does become popular and prices me out?

US$49?!? Stagg Jr. or George T Stagg?

#477 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

Yeah, I definitely like my bourbon...
    This is the "small" bunker down by the machines. I did a little rearranging the other evening.
    I'm glad that I used to be able to buy owa by the case for $140 out the door, especially now that the new retail cost has climbed to roughly $50 per bottle in CT, if you can even find it. Forget secondary, its at or over $100 now.
    I'm also a fan of EC. Glad I hoarded it too, prior to the age statement removal, believe I used to get those for about $200 a case.
    My real go-to's are BT and ER, but they are starting to creep up too. I go out of my way to get store picks of nearly any BT product, as they are usually superior. It helps when you are on the tasting panel, haha.
    crazylevi Still working on that Lexington, huh? As to answer your question, Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace are certainly solid (around $32 and $29 in CT). Weller Special Reserve ($20) isn't bad either, but is hard to find these days.
    My real secret these days, which I'll probably regret for sharing is Wild Turkey 101 ($22). The trick is to find new bottles, however. Flip the bottle around and look at the tiny laser etched code. Anything beginning with GG (the first G being 2018, and the second G representing the 7th month, July) is good to go. I read an interview with the master distiller, Jimmy Russel, who stated that due to the release of Wild Turkey Longbranch last year, they were short of the usual 6 year old barrels they regularly used to batch WT101 with, so to keep up, they dumped a ton of 10 year old barrels instead! It's now outstanding. I drink it straight, mostly; but on the rocks, mixed with a diet coke, even in a cocktail are all excellent. It's great stuff nowadays.
    A couple other great ones are any of the bottled-in-bond bottom shelfers. Old Grand Dad BIB, Evan Williams BIB, Jim Beam BIB. All highly undervalued.
    Finally, any of the Jim beam selects (disteller's cut, black, etc.) are all very good, especially when they are under $23. Don't over pay for these. I've seen them as high as $35 and laugh. If you like the Beam profile, you'll love these. And if you really like the Beam profile, splurge once in a while and get a Booker's; it's essentially the honey barrels of Beam, at barrel proof. Great stuff, especially before they raised the price from $49 to $79 a couple years ago.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is a sweet bunker sir, I applaud you. I'm holding on to my last three bottles of the old style OWA, and then I see your bunker! Agree with the EC age statement too. I read this review the other day and it made me sad: https://www.breakingbourbon.com/review/elijah-craig-small-batch

#480 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Amen on the OGD 114 and the WT 101 as great daily drinkers. There is still some EH Taylor small batch out there for $34.99 which I find to be a great bang for your buck pour.

Around these parts, you won't see that (if you see it at all) for less than $55-and that's a great deal.

#491 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Been waiting for a special occasion to crack this one, Blanton’s straight from the barrel. Got tired of waiting, so cheers!
    Edit: holy crap is this good! bowz you need to try this next time we flip.
    [quoted image]

One county in Maryland, Montgomery, the richest county around these parts is county controlled. I have been trying to track one of those bottles down for a good while now, a to you salute sir!

#506 5 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

On the job today installing tablets for their POS. Nice BBQ place with a healthy bourbon selection. That also told me they are having a bourbon tasting with management at 10 to pick a new Buffalo Trace single barrel exclusive and they said I could join in![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The Old Fitzgerald(s) and the the Willett Family Reserve have piqued my curiosity. How was the tasting?

#507 5 years ago

Oh also, thanks Grandnational007 for the info. Looking forward to giving this guy a taste test. Always been a fan, it's my "daily sipper" at the local watering hole, but previously I've only kept a mini with the 7 year age statement at home.

IMG_20190308_174432 (resized).jpgIMG_20190308_174432 (resized).jpgKIMG2729 (resized).jpgKIMG2729 (resized).jpg
    #528 5 years ago

Not Irish either, but ferda-a la' Letterkenny:

KIMG0514 (resized).jpgKIMG0514 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #552 5 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Went back today and got the last bottle. From barrel 5963 12/17/08 curious if people are noticing any variation in quality

The winning bottle was from barrel #4976, barreled on April 7, 2008. It's single barrel, so YMMV.

https://www.breakingbourbon.com/article/one-bourbon-to-rule-them-all

#553 5 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

Well sadly this is the last of the OWA... but wow it is such a tasty bourbon, I hope to find some more one day.
    [quoted image]

I'm down to my last 750 of the old label, holding on to that for a very special occasion or holiday-maybe a Tuesday. Good luck on your hunt.

#557 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Some Friday's are just better than others.
    [quoted image]

2018 GTS!?! What organ did you sell; rather who's organ you sell; to get that?

#567 5 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

What’s a solid price point on these? Don’t want to pay over inflated prices.

Stagg Jr., while tasty, is light years away from George T. Stagg. If you can find a George T. Stagg, anything under $250-300 I would consider a "reasonable". MSRP (the ultimate deal) is around $120, if I recall correctly. Stagg Jr. is around $50-80.

KIMG2903 (resized).jpgKIMG2903 (resized).jpg
    #568 5 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

I agree the rye is nice. I have an 11 year Willet Family Reserve bourbon i've yet to try...

Nice-are we turning this into a bourbon and rye thread? Don't see much Willett Family Reserve stuff around here, so I make it a habit to snap up what I do see. I was able to pick up three of these 8 year ryes. Drank one, gifted one, and have this one still. Superb stuff, simply sublime.

KIMG2904 (resized).jpgKIMG2904 (resized).jpg
    #569 5 years ago
    #591 5 years ago
    Quoted from t8tony8t:

Some of the collection. One day I think I will try to trade it all for pinball machines.
    [quoted image]

Nice collection-you'd be well on your way to some nice pins.

#602 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Hello?! Can you come right over?
    [quoted image]

Yes, I'm leaving right now. Should be there in about 12 hours. Seriously though, how in the hell did you find a 23 year in the spring?!? I have pins about that age and worth about that on the secondary....half my collection is probably worth the secondary market value of that bottle. (Not that I'm trading)

EDIT: My entire collection

#609 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Man fulltilt living large. Stagg and 23 yr PVW? I’m sipping Wild Turkey 101 and acting like I’m all that lol.

Turkey HA series!!!

KIMG2952 (resized).jpgKIMG2952 (resized).jpg
    #612 5 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

I’m drinking some Benchmark with Diet Coke. BOOM
    Been trying to find a bottle of Blantons. I think I’ve tracked one down but owner tested me with a bottle of Weller today. Up to $30 for a 1/5. I was paying $15 <1 yr ago from the same store. Ughhhh

Assuming Weller SR? That's about the going rate around here. Last time I saw it, was $27 + tax for 1/5.

#614 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

I made a "small" toast when I got it home. (:
    [quoted image]

Surely there's a story behind this latest acquisition, more so than the Stagg was feeling lonely on the shelf.

#616 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Got a really nice Kings and Queens? We'll be talkin'!

Does a players Royal Flush make the cut for just a dram?

#617 5 years ago

I can throw in a pre 64 model 94 in 30-30 for another dram. s/, but maybe not

#619 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

No, pretty boring... both were for sale from a dealer in L.A. Got the Stagg and then had to have the Pappy.

I was kinda hoping for stories about the Dali Lama, explosions on the back 9, or being struck by lightning.

#623 5 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

Going rate for those?
    I stocked up on Antique when I was in Seattle 2 years ago. Bourbon is not a thing there. Crappy Craft beer cost more than Weller, eagle rare, even Blantons at every bar. ‘Twas a great week on the west coast for me.

Duly noted, haven't had the opportunity to make it out there, but I'll pack my bourbon case if the occasion arises. Pappy Van Winkle 23 year is $295 MSRP. Montgomery county, outside of DC and a couple hours north of me, has county controlled liquor stores. Their annual lottery has it at +$1000.

#627 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

I paid + $1000 more and am pleased to have found it.

Never seen a 23 year in the wild.

#629 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

My 50th is coming up and I’m thinking about buying myself a unicorn to celebrate. Lord knows nobody else will haha. Probably a 2018 Stagg.

And there's the Venn diagram for bourbon and pinball.

#683 5 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

And I wouldn’t have cared if they weren’t mixing it... With SPRITE

That's a crime!!!!

#684 5 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

I have a blantons bottle full of gentlemans jack that I use if they add anything to it ... Friends that ask for it neat get the real stuff lol

That's genius!!!

#694 5 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

This was a great tip! Picked up some WT101 with the GH date and it definitely exceeds its price point of $28
    Random thoughts on these 5 'value' bourbons I picked up and tasted today:
    Eagle Rare 10Y - $34 Everything I want in a daily sipper. Might be the next 10Y to go from everywhere to hard to find
    WT101 (GH date) - $28 Cant believe I've been missing out on this. Will be getting plenty more
    Elijah Craig SB - $28 A little harsher than the first two, still a value but no desire to stockpile it
    Larceny $23 - Hmmm. Not as good as the first 3 but also a bit cheaper. Reviews seem good for this but not feeling it. Will still drink it but probably reserve it for mixing
    Jeffers Creek $16 - Was a trusted store's 'value buy' so I figured "how bad can a 6Y bourbon be" well, it drinks thin and shallow with no warmth and no aftertaste. It's just not good and will likely sit forever before I can pawn it off on somebody. Waste of money

I've started to stockpile the ER for it's age statement and have a fair supply of the older EC from when it used to carry the 12 year age statement. As I've said before, there are such similarities (and fun) between the bourbon and pinball hunt. Though generally, (but not always) the bourbon hunt is easier on the wallet.

KIMG3088 (resized).jpgKIMG3088 (resized).jpg
    #698 5 years ago

So, in recent times, I've begun collecting larger format bottles (1.75L) of bourbon. Considered doing a kind of joke calendar/photo shoot with them for friends and family. So far, besides the usual shelf inhabitants, I've collected a Weller Special Reserve, Old Fitzgerald Prime (rare around here in any size), Woodford Reserve, plus the Eagle Rare and Elijah Craig 12 year pictured above. On the lookout for a Willett Potstill Reserve and 1792. My question is has anyone actually seen other/higher end bourbons in 1.75L? I believe Weller 12 year has a 1.75L, but I've only seen the 750ml in the wild. (I'd pick up a Weller 12 in any size at a reasonable price now in the wild) Any suggestions?

#713 5 years ago

More open, more to share. Over in my buddy's garage, enjoying some OGD 114, toasting his 1 week old son.

1555120884212475939971 (resized).jpg1555120884212475939971 (resized).jpg
    #739 5 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I am far from a connoisseur and I liked the unique flavor of this whiskey distilled with an IPA so I bought - $30 didn't seem like much of a risk

I believe Charbay R5 is the OG of this style.

http://charbay.com/charbay-whiskey/

#740 5 years ago

Or perhaps pioneer is a better description

#753 5 years ago

I'm out chasing the white perch this evening. Here's to you Pinside, splicing the mainbrace. (Knob Creek flask filled with Evan Williams bottled in bond) Not much luck with the fish, but hopefully that changes once the water gets warmer. Rockfish (stripped bass) season opens in two days!

KIMG3169 (resized).jpgKIMG3169 (resized).jpg
    #756 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

What an awesome customer. We do the amusements at a small establishment in Pittsburgh, the owner knows I collect bourbon, over the years I've treated him well in both games and hard to get liquor. Today he hooked me up with the 3 bottles in the front. He knows the way to my heart.
    [quoted image]

Sweet! I haven't had the four year rye, (yet) but I feel that the Willett Family Reserve (bourbon or rye) line is something that should be bought on sight! Price being "reasonable".

#760 5 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

gents, I had a good friend that did me a real solid favor. I'd like to pay him back with at least 2 bottles of bourbon. I roped him into Weller a few years back but it's pricing has just gotten stupid - see lots of previous rants...
    I picked up a bottle of Bookers (2/18 date) and I'd like to add something else to the mix. I was thinking maybe Noah's Mill? Price point I'm looking for is $50-65ish true retail (not 2ndary or shaddy liquor store markup). I've been really enjoying the Rowans Creek so I'd expect the Noah's Mill to be even better? I don't dabble much at the $50+ level so I'm looking for some advice on things are readily available (yes Eagle Rare is awesome and so is Blanton's but I need something I can pick-up at a decent liquor store) I was looking at a bottle of the Makers Private Select or Makers 46?

I would recommend Col EH Taylor, a Four Roses Single Barrel (possible store pick?), one the various 1792 variants (Full Proof, Port Finish, etc), Issac Bowman, or Pure Kentucky XO. Pure Kentucky pricing, like some of my other suggestions, is all over the place-I'm just a sucker for the 107 proof. Not sure what the market in your area is at-but Elijah Craig Barrel Proof might be at the high end of your price point, if you can find it for retail. *Probably lying to myself, as I haven't seen it at retail in two years. Also considering you mentioned Weller, try finding a bottle of the Rebel Yell 10 year. Not Weller, but a wheater with an age statement at a "decent" value. Good luck with the hunt.

#782 5 years ago

Not Pappy, but close enough. Agree about the BTAC, but really excited about the Sweet XVI. Fulltilt Is that a Rockola on the right?

KIMG3270 (resized).jpgKIMG3270 (resized).jpgKIMG3272 (resized).jpgKIMG3272 (resized).jpg
    #788 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

(: General Motors.

Got to see a lot of old friends this past weekend. One of whom, now lives in Texas. When we were younger and more foolish (still fools today, just less so) we would often go plinking in the woods. More often than not, we'd take his grandfather's (who I never knew-in all reality, could have 100% been his grandmother's) old M1 carbine with us. It was old and beat up, but it was sure a type writer. Straight shooter and reliable. This past weekend, I learned it was a Rockola. He still has it, but let's just say it's getting better treatment. Long rant over. Watching hockey, thinking that as long as we remember those who have passed-they still live on with us. Must be the bourbon, time for some pinball.

#789 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Happy whiskey wednesday
    [quoted image]

Nice, Full Proof store pick!

3 weeks later
    #967 4 years ago
    KIMG3553 (resized).jpgKIMG3553 (resized).jpgKIMG3555 (resized).jpgKIMG3555 (resized).jpg
    #1003 4 years ago

Another vote for the barrel proof EC, I also am a fan of the Pure Kentucky label and proof. (107) Sazerac is tasty, but I prefer the proof and availability of the Rittenhouse.

2 weeks later
    #1095 4 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Scored some of this recently...thoughts?[quoted image]

A solid bourbon at a great price point from a great family owned distillery. Single barrel with a double digit age statement. The ones I've had were straight forward, no frills bourbon. Solid in a good way. The recent attention and accolades, along with the aforementioned age statement and price point make this more and more difficult for me to find. I think the Breaking Bourbon guys put it best:

https://www.breakingbourbon.com/article/one-bourbon-to-rule-them-all

Question for the group-saw someone had the Old Ezra 7 barrel strength at their local store. How does that stack up against these Old Foresters, say the 1920?

#1096 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jaeg:

I have a guy wanting to sell 12 bottles for 1k. I'm thinking about doing it because I can't find it for retail.

Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!! Something, something, bourbon bubble, rubble, rubble. I'm off to have some Turkey 101.

KIMG0282 (resized).jpgKIMG0282 (resized).jpg
    #1097 4 years ago

Jaeg It's your money, but please read the [Breaking Bourbon] link and think before dropping that kind of coin. Unless it's from barrel #4976 and was put in oak on April 7, 2008 I would consider alternatives. I just saw the price you listed in your initial post and didn't see that you were considering the deal.

1 week later
    #1169 4 years ago

Pinside isn't just for pinball. It's showing me the trials and tribulations that some of us face here stateside, yet also the horn of plenty others have. If you ever think you got it bad in the bourbon department, talk to an Australian. I'm still trying to source that Blanton's Straight From the Barrel, one day...one day! Jealous of you that have it, thankful for what I have. Happy National Bourbon Day/Flag Day to those in the USA, cheers to everyone else.

#1177 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinPatch:

Funnily Blantons in whatever guise is real easy to get in Australia...

I was thinking more about what it costs down under, compared to here. I do that so I won't complain so much about our pricing.

3 weeks later
    #1374 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Never![quoted image]

That's one of those a-SALT guns isn't it? Hope everyone in the bourbon thread is doing well. I'm going to have to crack open something nice soon.

5 months later
    #2940 4 years ago

Hello Pinside bourbon thread. I've been away awhile, busy with life and such. The last few months have been crazy busy for me: redid some floors, moved, moved a bunch of pins and games, (an entirely different experience for me than movig 1-2 pins over a weekend, new found respect) and life in general. Took a break from bourbon hunting, pinball and Pinside for a bit, but to paraphrase: "Just when I thought I was out, they pull you back in." I'm going down the EM early SS path now, picked up a Fast Draw (looking for a Gottlieb D14008A lockdown bar-have bourbon or parts to trade) and was given a SS Celopatra project two weeks ago. Last month, got a call from one of my places for a FR LE Small Batch. This is the second thread I've checked in with on Pinside since returning. Nice job on the secret Santa @whysnow. Sorry I missed that one. Picked up some hard to find around here Sazerac Monday. Only other crazy things I got to try recently were an EC distillery only hand grenade and a Puppers. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and all that jazz Pinside. Seems a few of you had some nice finds this season. Good luck on the hunt in 2020.

20190923_132357 (resized).jpg20190923_132357 (resized).jpg20191011_162746 (resized).jpg20191011_162746 (resized).jpg20191224_235244 (resized).jpg20191224_235244 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #3052 4 years ago
    Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

Went to a friend’s house for New Years and this is his main bourbon (and whiskey) collection. Needless to say I drank WAY too much, but it was worth it.[quoted image]

That's a nice collection, and plenty of open ones too! Nice. Happy New Year's Pinside. Enjoying a Sazerac Old Fashioned!

20200101_172322 (resized).jpg20200101_172322 (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #3271 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

What to do on your birthday when trying to not open that Pappy?
    Have some George T. and finish shopping that pin of course. (:
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Many happy returns

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vaevictis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon?tu=vaevictis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.