Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swillie.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#128 6 years ago

Cool thread, here's my American whisky cabinet currently. I stopped all whisky purchases for awhile now, but it is always a thrill to find that bottle you are after. My favorites are the cask strength releases, the higher proof brings so much flavor with it. I prefer to sip it neat at this point, but a little water or an ice cube is just fine by me.

IMG_1557 (resized).JPGIMG_1557 (resized).JPG

#130 6 years ago

vaevictis good rye, I mean good eye
    Willet Family Estate Straight Rye, cask strength 2 year old. Hiding behind it is Willet Family Estate Single Barrel Bourbon, 11 year old and bottle is signed by the master distiller himself.
    Two bottles of Thomas Handy Rye, just amazing stuff that makes you say "wow" every time. Has gotten too rich for my blood so I sip it rarely.
    Can't go wrong with OWA 107, although the 12 year is a smoother pour if you can find it, and at a normal price.
    That is Pappy Van Winkle 15, and Lot B. I scored those two at msrp ($79, $59) in 2012 if you can believe it. My wife found the place, made the call and I won the lotto of bourbon hunting that year. The Lot B is so tasty I can't imagine how good the 15 is, my wife won't let me open it!! She wants me to sell it, and I considered it for a moment...Nope. I have set the date, March 31 2022...my son turns 21 and we are opening it dammit. Lol.

#132 6 years ago

Goronic Great looking bar, very classy. Every bottle you have is a winner. I've wanted to try Angels Envy but haven't had the opportunity. Same with Aberlour 12, but I have the Aberlour Abunadh and it is fantastic. Makers, Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare are all great goto bourbons, Sazerac is nice and spicy. Good stuff man.

#135 6 years ago

Yes congrats on the Lot B! That's a great whisky, and a great relationship you have with the local retailer. I got a call like that 2 years ago, it was the Thomas Handy only and I snapped it up. It really is my favorite whisky of them all. It's the only BTAC I've managed to find and I too have stopped looking. The places that used to hook me up don't even take names now, others price it out of reach. William Larue Weller is a bucket list bottle for me. Maybe one day I'll get lucky but you kinda gotta make your luck with this stuff and I lost the energy for it. I'm content with my collection for now. Some of the cheaper bourbons are great sippers. Along with Scotch, Japanese, Irish whisky and a few tequilas I'm not going to run out anytime soon. I have more closed bottles than open. Guess you could say I have a drinking problem...I bought the bottles way way faster than I could ever drink them.

2 months later
    #164 6 years ago

+1 for Bookers

7 months later
    #235 5 years ago
    Quoted from HisboyElroy:

I picked this up at an auction recently. I'm not a huge Bourbon guy but I've heard really good things about Pappy Van Winkle and apparently it's really tough to find so I thought I'd grab it...
    [quoted image]

You scored a great bourbon with this one. When I cracked this bottle my brother, nephew and I were all saying 'wow'. You really taste the barrel more so than other whiskeys. Sadly it is almost gone, but I have a Pappy 15 yet to open. So is it worth the crazy prices these command? Probably not for most, but you took this one for a decent price as far as these go. Enjoy!

2 months later
    #274 5 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

If you're trying to not spend a fortune and get a versatile bottle, you can't go wrong with makers IMO. It's good neat, on the rocks, and you can make a solid cocktail with it. We usually keep that on hand as a go to.

Makers 46 is really nice too, a little more $$$ but worth it imo.

#282 5 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

I need to try that. My go to lower end is Buffalo Trace. So good.

I agree, nice stuff. I always get a hint of bubblegum flavor. My goto low price bourbon is Wild Turkey 101.

1 week later
    #344 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

curious if you add water to the barrel strength ever to let it breath a little?
    much of the barrel strength is too hot for me personally (i.e. Stag), but I have found even a few drops of clean water to open it up for me.

One of the things I like about barrel proof bourbon and rye is there is so much flavor it is incredible to sip neat, but also you can add water or an ice cube and it still retains its flavor. Like making whisky in your glass.

#353 5 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

If it were being sold at cost, I would have bought it.
    He asked for $999, and after a brief negotiation, I walked away empty handed.
    He was willing to move, but I wasnt going to be spending 500 either.

That is a ridiculous price for the 12yr. I paid $59 for mine, $79 for the Pappy 15yr, and $64 for BTAC Thomas Handy Rye 2011. Now this was November of 2012. The T.H. Rye (best whisky I have ever tasted and still have another) was collecting dust way up on the top shelf, and the others just came in. There were 3 bottles of the 12yr, I bought 1 . Hey I didn't know I would never again be able to afford it at the time. The Pappy 12yr was very excellent, smooth with lots wood. A great bourbon for sure, but I think at $500 you would be disappointed if you ever opened it. Not the whiskys' fault, just too much hype heaped upon it, too many great bourbon's under $50 for it to ever be worth that if you are drinking it. Hey if you have the money it is fun to have in the collection. Mine is empty now, the Pappy 15 is waiting for the right occasion and it will be opened. I could buy/trade a lot of bottles for that one though

1 month later
    #425 5 years ago

Me three

1 month later
    #463 5 years ago

I agree the Stagg is the only one priced within reason, although I still way over priced for what it is in my opinion.

#472 5 years ago

+1 on the Wild Turkey 101...and thanks for the info on the recent bottlings being superior, going to hunt one down.

#492 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

I've been finding tons of GG, GH, and GI; I've had all three, and all are miles above older offerings.
    Realize that most people, bourbon aficionados included, usually consider WT101 to be bottom shelf, so there isn't a ton of turnover. The first store that I usually go to had two GG's and then a bunch of GA's. When more inventory arrives, I'll check those.
    Knowing what I do, I absolutely expect a run on the late G coded Turkies by flippers looking for max proffitz, until the next shiny object comes along.

Stopped at Meijer... one bottle in range. Thanks for the tip, I have always felt WT101 to be a real good bourbon but havent bought a bottle in awhile.

IMG_5714 (resized).JPGIMG_5714 (resized).JPGIMG_5717 (resized).JPGIMG_5717 (resized).JPG
    #495 5 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Did a little hunting tonight, with bad results.
    Every WT101 around me had the LL starting. I don’t know if there’s a chance they can still get it, or if they’re onto more recent WT and I have no chance...

The LL means it is from Lawrenceburg...

The two letters after the / are what you are looking for. See pics above with date code.

#499 5 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Actually, thinking a bit about it, I saw all GI. But just to be clear-I’m on the hunt for GG, correct?

Well Grandnational007 said GG GH and GI (July, Aug and Sept. 2018) were all exceptional...

#515 5 years ago

+1 on the ice ball

IMG_5665 (resized).JPGIMG_5665 (resized).JPG
    #526 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Happy St. Paddy’s day weekend. Slainte.
    [quoted image]

Right back at ya!

IMG_5791 (resized).JPGIMG_5791 (resized).JPG
    1 week later
    #550 5 years ago

Well sadly this is the last of the OWA... but wow it is such a tasty bourbon, I hope to find some more one day.

IMG_5914 (resized).JPGIMG_5914 (resized).JPG
    #563 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Not a fan of the Willett bourbons but they do a damn good rye. Stumbled upon this at Binny’s a couple weeks ago and it’s outstanding.
    [quoted image]

I agree the rye is nice. I have an 11 year Willet Family Reserve bourbon i've yet to try...

#599 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

4 Favorites. [quoted image]

Great stuff!

IMG_5953 (resized).JPGIMG_5953 (resized).JPG
    #641 5 years ago

Are filling those bottles, or redistilling them?

#661 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Well its a sad day, I drank my last glass out of this bottle.
    [quoted image]

I never had the chance to taste that one but had heard it was one of the best values in bourbon before they discontinued it.

#666 5 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

It's $200+tax around here where it's in stock ($149 at TotalWine but never actually on the shelf) It would have to be pretty flipping good to make anybody's best value list

It used to cost around $50....like 6-7 years ago. Serious.

#689 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

OK I’m back for that toast. Cheers to you guys and the University of Virginia basketball team. It was a great ride.
    [quoted image]

Great choice, love that stuff!

#736 5 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Did a quick accounting tonight bottles vs open bottles with the following results:
    19 bottles of bourbon 12 open 7 sealed
    11 bottle of scotch 11 open 0 sealed
    4 bottles of rye 3 open 1 bottle sealed
    everything else(rum, tequila, cognac, gin, Sambuca, Ouzo, Drambuie etc ) 45 bottles opened 11 sealed
    TOTAL open 71 out of 90
    Can anybody top 71 currently opened bottles at your home bar? Tallying up sure show the shortcomings I have for tequila (only 2 bottles) and gin (only 2 bottles) Will probably have to take care of that this week

I can't top those numbers but was curious to see what I have so...

30 American whisky, 21 open
    18 Scotch, 9 open
    13 Japanese, 6 open
    10 Tequila/Mezcal/Rum/Gin, 8 open
    3 Irish, 2 open
    3 Canadian, 2 open

So 48 of 77 bottles opened.

Some of the sealed are duplicates but nice to have still around 20 bottles i've not yet tried to get into. As the open bottles occasionally empty I consider opening one but haven't in quite awhile.

#737 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Moving away from the total crap. (:
    Dropped by the "beverage control center" today and picked up a little pot bellied Willett.
    A nice buy for $41. I had to get 2.
    I know it's not 5 o'clock yet but it's a quarter to.
    I have this irresistible urge to rub the bottle and hope Barbara Eden comes out.....
    I know... maybe if I have enough...
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Great bourbon which I recently finished a bottle....next time I head out of state I need to find another.

#751 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

No but I'd love to share a little Falstaff with you if you have a few.
    Care for a Shlitz?
    [quoted image]

IMG_6094 (resized).JPGIMG_6094 (resized).JPG
    1 week later
    #790 4 years ago

One of these days I will dig into these...

IMG_6143 (resized).JPGIMG_6143 (resized).JPG
    #811 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

My buddy’s wake is tomorrow, I think I’m gonna hang out in this thread for a while with this bottle.
    [quoted image]

Sorry for your loss...not sippin' bourbon but will drink a toast with ya anyway.

IMG_6162 (resized).JPGIMG_6162 (resized).JPG
    #813 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Thanks. How is that stuff? I’ve been intrigued by the Japanese whiskey, but have never tried it.

It is closer to American whiskey than most Japanese whisky, a little bite and sweetness to it. Tasting notes are not my forte, lol. Most Japanese whiskey is more like Scotch, but have 'green fruit' notes. Some have a light peat thing going on. Really nice stuff, I started collecting it a few years ago and then the world seemed to go crazy for it and they ran out of aged stock, now it is very hard to acquire stateside. Can hardly find anything in my area. Yoichi 15 is one of the best whiskeys i've ever tasted, my wife found me that bottle online...they stopped production since, will be a special occasion for me to open that one.
    IMG_6167 (resized).JPGIMG_6167 (resized).JPG

#829 4 years ago
    Quoted from jathomp22:

Saw this while walking through the Costco liquor store. Figured I would give it a try this weekend.
    [quoted image]

Great bourbon. You can add water or an icecube at this proof to mellow it but sip it neat first, so much flavor in this one. Really a bad ass bourbon.

1 week later
    #915 4 years ago

Old Forester Statesman is tasty stuff too...

IMG_6253 (resized).JPGIMG_6253 (resized).JPG
    1 week later
    #984 4 years ago
    Quoted from New_England:

Stopped in New Hampshire today and managed to pick these up today. Can’t find them in Vermont. Wanted the EH Taylor rye, but they didn’t have any.
    The Willett was a bit of an impulse buy (the bottle was pretty cool), can anyone tell me a little bit about it?
    [quoted image]

Those are 3 great whiskys, you did good.

#1013 4 years ago

Noahs Mill is excellent, finished my bottle recently.

2 weeks later
    #1122 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

So, just for fun tonight I decided to stop in a few liquor stores on my hour long drive home from work. NOTE - none of these liquor stores are ones I ever go to. First time visits just to see their offerings. Here is what i discovered.
    Stop 1 - 2 bottles Blanton’s @ $69 each
    Stop 2 - 4 bottles Blanton’s @ $79. This place also has old forester 1920 prohibition, 2 @ $59 each
    Stop 3 - old forester 1920 prohibition, 6 bottles @ $59 each
    Stop 4 - 1 Blanton’s $69
    Stop 5 - weller 107 for $150 (I’ve never seen this locally, mind you I’m new to the bourbon world, 6 months under my belt). So not sure if this price is high or low.

That is a ridiculous price for OWA 107. It is a nice bourbon, but my last bottle cost around $30 if I recall. It is a shame the way some of these bourbons spike like that. Supply and demand, what are you gonna do. Really quite 'the man' for offering to score the Blanton's for people, most would never bother do that for a stranger. I still have my empty bottle in the cabinet because it looks too cool to throw out. I haven't noticed a bottle in a local store in quite some time but haven't really been looking either.

#1141 4 years ago
    Quoted from middaleman:

Oh, and BTW, it's fun reading all the things you guys have to go through to get bottles we can find on the shelf anytime.
    If you only knew the stuff we keep for ourselves...

IMG_6459.GIFIMG_6459.GIF
    1 week later
    #1231 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Willett
    [quoted image]

The Willett Rye is excellent!!!

(Pictured with the beers and cigar i'm having for breakfast right now. For scale.)

IMG_6541 (resized).JPGIMG_6541 (resized).JPG
    #1248 4 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

Picked these two up today. Anyone coming over to play Kill the Creek?
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Geez dude I am already on my second pour of Elmer T Lee and halfway thru a bomber of 12% Willetized bourbon coffee stout!! However another time I can bring a bottle to open, for a chance to play those EM's seems like a fair deal to me.

1 week later
    #1323 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Went ahead and picked this one up yesterday, didn't get a chance to sample it yet.[quoted image]

Have wanted to try that one, let us know what you think!

#1358 4 years ago

Bottle it as a limited release 'smoked Beam'

#1389 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:LOVE the Schlitz glasses! Like I'm attached to my frosted hula glasses. Certainly don't have to be whiskey glasses!

+1 on those glasses...I have a matching vintage spinning globe light in my gameroom...

IMG_6094 (resized).JPGIMG_6094 (resized).JPG
    1 week later
    #1433 4 years ago

Any thoughts on Makers Mark Private select? Local store has thier bottles in, cost is $70.

#1444 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

The cask strength Makers is some pretty good stuff. IMO (:
    [quoted image]

I like regular Makers alot...but hated the cask strength. It had none of the flavors I expected, was estringent and for me undrinkable, I gave that bottle away so I didn't have to look at it. Was it a bad batch or just me? Who knows.

#1452 4 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Not a Bourbon, but any thoughts on this 12yr Yamasaki?[quoted image]

Yeah, I think that I should sip on some of mine.

Not great at tasting notes, but green fruit and a light bit of smoke... it's very nice stuff as is much of Japanese whisky. If only one could still easily find it.

IMG_6823 (resized).JPGIMG_6823 (resized).JPG
    #1475 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dolph1:

The thought of combining these two things (hobbies? passions?) has me in stitches. Not a bad idea I suppose but it would have never occurred to me. Maybe craft brew pinball could be something too.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-likes-beer

#1476 4 years ago

Sadly this one is nearing the end, must have been a higher rye component in the mashbill as it's a spicy bourbon. Have one more though

IMG_6829 (resized).JPGIMG_6829 (resized).JPG
    #1478 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Got lucky and stumbled on these at a liquor store by the train station today. Donating the W12 and Elmer to a buddies charity auction and drinking the shit out of the Knob Creek Rye LE.[quoted image]

Wow!! Standup guy donating those now so hard to find bottles to the charity.

#1479 4 years ago

Also, never had Knob Creek rye in any proof but love me some rye so my hiatus on buying whisky may be over.

2 weeks later
    #1558 4 years ago

Stranahans Colorado Whisky is quite nice. Also Balcones of Texas makes some fantastic stuff.

IMG_7023 (resized).JPGIMG_7023 (resized).JPG
    #1571 4 years ago

Last of this one, really tasty and the proof can keep up with a melting iceball.

IMG_7062 (resized).JPGIMG_7062 (resized).JPG
    #1579 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I took my niece with us on our vacation and this is what my sister and bro in law gave me. I’m still stunned.

For the pleasure of spending quality time with your niece you were given a Stagg. Slow clap from me dude, that is awesome.

#1611 4 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25189/lot/323/
    Just in case someone has 3/4 of a million lying around...

Holy crap!! Those are cool looking, what a collection.

#1650 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

Sorry, my pallet isn't refined enough to tell you if it has "hints of nutmeg" or "notes of coriander" or "homeless guy's sock sweat". It drank well and that's all I care about.

Lmfao thanks for that, very funny and so true of whisky, beer, cigars... not good at those tasting notes either, I just know what tastes good to me and I go get more!

2 weeks later
    #1776 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Bourbon paraphernalia.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Have you smoked one of those cigars yet? If so how are they?

#1779 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Not yet. Was going to try one this weekend.

Please report back when you do. I looked and found some singles of these online, and I would like to pair it with my bottle of Pappy 15 when I get around to opening it. That is if it is a worthy stick so no pressure but a detailed review with tasting notes would be nice

#1798 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Fuck it dude...let’s go bowling.[quoted image]

Okay I'll play!

IMG_7309 (resized).JPGIMG_7309 (resized).JPG
    #1809 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Damn this good stuff![quoted image]

Never had it, gotta try me some of that stuff.

#1825 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

I’d recommend you give one a try. I found it smooth with some woodsy tones. Like smokin’ some Pappy. (;
    I’m not a regular cigar smoker so I’d be interested in what you think.
    In fact, send me a PM and I’ll send ya one!
    [quoted image]

Dude!! You rule the fricken' planet today! Can't say thanks enough. Now to keep on topic, I have been hording these two bourbons awhile. The Knob Creek is a local stores private selection and was in the barrel over 13 years. So which one should I crack open with this stick?

IMG_7376 (resized).JPGIMG_7376 (resized).JPGIMG_7378 (resized).JPGIMG_7378 (resized).JPG
    #1830 4 years ago

Watching the MSU game. Oh man this Knob Creek is really smooth for the proof yet still bursts with flavor as these high proof whiskeys usually do. My first time with KC since my first bottle which was the first bourbon ever for me and set the hook. Waited way too long to sip it again. And the Pappy cigar compliments of Fulltilt is really awesome. Some of the tobacco in this is from Kentucky was dried for weeks over a slow fire. The cold aroma was like burning barnyard hay. Lit it is smoking really smooth with lots of wood (not in my pants), great ambient aroma and flavors. Ash is holding well, Drew Estate cigar so no surprise. Perfect pairing with this bourbon.

IMG_7396 (resized).JPGIMG_7396 (resized).JPGIMG_7398 (resized).JPGIMG_7398 (resized).JPG
    1 week later
    #1883 4 years ago
    Quoted from Green-Machine:

Just pick this up.... been hitting the Irish[quoted image]

Redbreast 12 yr Cask Strength is really great stuff. So is the Lustau edition.

#1916 4 years ago
    D92A00AA-C9D7-4C42-BA75-6C1E52533721-34845-000027DA6D45A7F4.gifD92A00AA-C9D7-4C42-BA75-6C1E52533721-34845-000027DA6D45A7F4.gif
    2 weeks later
    #2022 4 years ago

So okay it is only Jim Beam, but it is my first taste of the stuff. I love the Budweiser Copper Lager which is aged with Jim Beam barrel staves, so thought I would give the bourbon a try and it is pretty tasty if you ask me...I think I just love bourbon period.

IMG_7602 (resized).JPGIMG_7602 (resized).JPG
    #2042 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

I really like clear ice, it makes drinks look better and imho improves the enjoyment. YouTube is full of videos on how to make clear ice, but I splurged and bought this from Amazon. Makes 2 balls in one go, and they can be stored in the freezer.
    Crystal-Clear Ice Ball Maker, 2-Cavity Mold, Jumbo Ice Balls, Better Kitchen Products amazon.com link »

I second this ball maker, I have the same one and it works great

#2045 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Thanks so much. Order placed!

This one just came out of the mold...I pour the whisky slowly to lesson the chance of the iceball cracking, this time it worked.

IMG_7609 (resized).JPGIMG_7609 (resized).JPG
    #2062 4 years ago

This showed up locally today. Don't know anything about where it's sourced but if you have Walking dead pin you almost have to try this one .

IMG_7622 (resized).JPGIMG_7622 (resized).JPG
    #2088 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Just saw it today for $99 but I had to pass on it cause this bad boy was 3yrs older and $10 cheaper.[quoted image]

I miss the days of collecting whiskey...now I just sip what I have and shop vicariously thru this thread. This bottle seems very nice

#2125 4 years ago
    Quoted from flashsmith:

Man it's that way everywhere. My local mom and pop got the regular Sarezac rye in and they are charging $79.99 for a $30 bottle. I went yesterday to the chain store to pick up a Stranahans Diamond Peak and Alpine spur and just for the hell of it I was going to grab a bottle of Crown harvest rye even though not a fan of the Canadian stuff. Too sweet for my tastes. I just wanted a cheap rye to try. Well it's sold out everywhere already because it was just named rye of the year by Jim Murray. I'm really starting to hate that a**hole! It's ridiculous whiskey has become the new beanie baby craze for those old enough to remember that. I'm convinced there's no way that many people actually drink Whiskey. It's about the hunt and finding the next coveted bottle to flip..

Very much agree...I am slowly enjoying my way thru my collection, many bottles yet to open. It was fun collecting them but has gotten stupid. Once I thin out enough I am just going to restock what I enjoy and is easy to find.

#2144 4 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Needed a refill on McKenna and stumbled on this A Midwinter Nights Dram Limited Engagement. Any thought on the High West?[quoted image]

I like High West alot....now that one is on the sweeter side, I did not 'love' it when I first opened it, but it has oxidised into a decent pour when you are in the mood for whisky and have a sweet tooth.

#2161 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

For only the second time in my short bourbon career, I walked into a store that has Weller Antique, with a price tag of $95. It's super scarce in Delaware. So is $95 way over the top?

Well I feel it really is way too steep, but if you have never had a bottle for your collection I could see paying that once. Having enjoyed it in the past in the $20 range before things became so stupid, I could never pay half that price.

1 week later
    #2225 4 years ago

Sippin' on something a bit different today...this one has sweetness and bite that is reminiscent of bourbon to me.
    IMG_7838 (resized).JPGIMG_7838 (resized).JPG

#2230 4 years ago

ありがとうございました

My point exactly

#2232 4 years ago

And then there is bourbon... . So good.

IMG_7841 (resized).JPGIMG_7841 (resized).JPG
    #2236 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

good to see it is out now.
    Unlikely I will find a bottle (just too damn popular), but at least I know to look harder now.

Well I hate to tell ya but my wife found that bottle for me last year. Have not seen it in forever either, so I am stretching it out as long as possible ( okay yeah there is a 'that's what she said' joke in there somewhere )

1 week later
    #2377 4 years ago

Hey bourbon fans... I am not part of the gift exchange but I thought I would just share this chill video link as a gift to you all. Have been following this amazing musician for over thirty years and am sipping some Elmer T Lee while watching this outdoor concert from a couple weeks ago that was just posted. Check it out with your favorite pour if you have the time and hope you enjoy.

1 week later
    #2450 4 years ago

PinDeLaPin that collection of Weller is sick man, can't see or touch the stuff in my neck of the woods. Just finished a 16 hour shift and ready to finish this bottle of tasty rye though so no complaints...

IMG_7975 (resized).JPGIMG_7975 (resized).JPGIMG_7976 (resized).JPGIMG_7976 (resized).JPG
    1 week later
    #2623 4 years ago

Finally picked up this one, can’t wait to dip into it.

265AAD5E-B6F5-4DAF-B106-0A7077DA745B (resized).jpeg265AAD5E-B6F5-4DAF-B106-0A7077DA745B (resized).jpeg
    #2690 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Never tried that OGD 114 my father in law tried it and said it was horrible. He swore up and down it tasted like turpentine and poured it out. You guys all swear by it so im thinking I need to give it a whirl.

It’s worth the price...sure it bites, pour it on an ice ball and it mellows out nice with lot’s of flavor.

#2761 4 years ago
    8EB1B8DE-6EA1-4FF9-91C0-C9F1024A429E (resized).png8EB1B8DE-6EA1-4FF9-91C0-C9F1024A429E (resized).png
    #2789 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Love double oaked! Try Old Forester 1910 if you haven’t yet. It’s double barrelled also and tastes like chocolate caramel ice cream.

Old Forester 1910 or 1920...which is better or a better value?

#2796 4 years ago

Have some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket. Have been wanting to try the 1920 after reading great things about it here on this thread, now I have to decide...maybe I should just buy both

#2799 4 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Wouldn’t kick either outta bed but, I enjoy the extra heat of the ‘20[quoted image]

Quoted from tjprice222:

Agreed. At a similar price point, I would go with 1920 for the higher proof.

Well that’s two votes each way. I’m a big fan of higher proof bourbon so 1920 is probably the one. Gotta try both eventually.

#2802 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Of course this one is really tasty also.[quoted image]

So many bourbons, so much time!! OMG, just realized I forgot I was going to finish my bottle of 2013 OFBB on my birthday, i’m a dumbass

Almost done with a 16 hour shift, guess I know what to do when I get home

#2807 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

16hr shift? Too hell with that crap. That sounds like too much damn work

To add insult to injury...I start another 16 hour shift in about 7 hours

However life is short and i’m makin’ the best of my 8 hour break!!
    F553A015-3742-4EDC-BEA4-3CFFE923B9F4 (resized).jpegF553A015-3742-4EDC-BEA4-3CFFE923B9F4 (resized).jpeg

E8DAE237-3325-4177-89C0-F74D2B72CD7F (resized).jpegE8DAE237-3325-4177-89C0-F74D2B72CD7F (resized).jpeg162DAA3B-D116-4B35-B06B-976DC86AA36B (resized).jpeg162DAA3B-D116-4B35-B06B-976DC86AA36B (resized).jpeg
    #2834 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

This one is a serious sleeper. It consistently flies under the radar but do yourself a favor and pick it up you will be thanking me.[quoted image]

I like regular beam okay enough. Think I will buy this since I can’t decide which Old Forester to get...

#2838 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I prefer the 1920 but they’re both good. The 1910 is much sweeter-tastes like chocolate to me-so I only have one pour as a change up. 1920 has a more classic bourbon profile.

Thank you for this...1920 all the way. I love all whiskey (except Jack and Crown Royal) and will try both eventually as my stocks have dwindled and i’m ready to start buying again. Cloyingly sweet aint my thing, don’t think the 1910 will be that but the 1920 sounds like my kind of whiskey.

#2845 4 years ago

Can’t wait to try these

28BFB9E1-434F-4761-BDB8-D8F3E605F356 (resized).jpeg28BFB9E1-434F-4761-BDB8-D8F3E605F356 (resized).jpeg
    #2850 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

I think your going to be very happy with that Beam. I hope so at least

Your right it’s really tasty stuff, delicious!! Huge step up from their base bourbon.

#2903 4 years ago

Great rye for the price...

FA510BCC-6752-4CEF-890B-77C3F9667F46 (resized).jpegFA510BCC-6752-4CEF-890B-77C3F9667F46 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #3065 4 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Went to a friend's house for the first game, all scotch - Balvenie 21, Balvenie 15 and Macallan 15 then as a parting gift he gave me a McKenna SB 5531 bottled 8-4-08b that only had 1 pour and he "didnt like the strong taste"
    C'est la vie! It's good to have friends!

Haha those single malts are smooth, expensive and delicious. In this case that worked in your favor, your friend doesn’t like that bourbon kick compared to those scotches, so you reap all the benefits.

#3075 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Swillie! Help!
    Got this exact Ice ball maker, let it freeze for almost 2 days before I tried it for the first time and the balls looked correct and were crystal clear. Poured some bourbon over a ball, and after a few minutes the ball was “flaking”, and my drink became water logged fairly quickly and I don’t think that’s suppose to be the case. Any tips other than drink faster lol!

I just don’t know, yes they will melt but mine stay clear they just get smaller. If you pour warm bourbon on it too fast the iceball can crack in the middle, maybe that is what happened?

#3109 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Swillie! Help!
    Got this exact Ice ball maker, let it freeze for almost 2 days before I tried it for the first time and the balls looked correct and were crystal clear. Poured some bourbon over a ball, and after a few minutes the ball was “flaking”, and my drink became water logged fairly quickly and I don’t think that’s suppose to be the case. Any tips other than drink faster lol!

Okay, my wife picked up an iceball maker for 1$. Awesome!! So the new iceball was not as pretty as what I am used too but who cares, poured some bourbon on it and away I go... she broke up into pieces. All iceball makers are not the same...

75374D0F-FDFD-4309-A84A-34D8772D9515 (resized).jpeg75374D0F-FDFD-4309-A84A-34D8772D9515 (resized).jpeg
    #3110 4 years ago

Thought I would post pictures comparing the two...here is the two iceball makers out the freezer...notice the difference in clarity and form...

0EDB9AA1-F750-4F14-B88A-D03DEE0A3D84 (resized).jpeg0EDB9AA1-F750-4F14-B88A-D03DEE0A3D84 (resized).jpeg4290B658-C8FC-4BA6-8DE8-7DEFA124734E (resized).jpeg4290B658-C8FC-4BA6-8DE8-7DEFA124734E (resized).jpeg7E3D6B95-EFCB-4404-8657-D49797BCEC65 (resized).jpeg7E3D6B95-EFCB-4404-8657-D49797BCEC65 (resized).jpeg
    #3111 4 years ago

The top one for the win, with a nice quality bourbon poured on to enjoy!!

45839BFE-8BC9-4C68-B8F7-B1BD9495DF31 (resized).jpeg45839BFE-8BC9-4C68-B8F7-B1BD9495DF31 (resized).jpegC594C6E3-4763-4DA9-95B6-E701F7DE4E3F (resized).jpegC594C6E3-4763-4DA9-95B6-E701F7DE4E3F (resized).jpeg
    #3126 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Where did you get that black mold?
    I have been making clear ice for a while in a cooler in the freezer, but I then cut it into cubes. I don't have a good way for easily making clear spheres, but I would like one.

Amazon. Here is a link to the best price I see on it currently...

https://www.amazon.com/312-Market-Place-Crystal-Clear/dp/B082RLDZWT/ref=mp_s_a_1_14

#3179 4 years ago

That’s a College Football Championship size pour of 2013 OFBB...couldn’t last forever

456ABFC8-D2CB-4DDC-B33C-8C21EE431E95 (resized).jpeg456ABFC8-D2CB-4DDC-B33C-8C21EE431E95 (resized).jpeg
    #3180 4 years ago

I very unique and delicious rye![quoted image]

That looks awesome! High proof rye, hell yeah...

1 week later
    #3322 4 years ago

Showoffs!!

#3325 4 years ago

I just haven’t even seen any Weller at all in a long time around here. So glad I like Wild Turkey 101 I can get that everywhere

#3338 4 years ago

Just cracked into this one...different for sure, I want to say I am picking up a bit of brine from the exposure to sea air. I like it, not love it yet but will see what happens now that it is open and can breath for awhile.

Also have an unopened bottle of Stagg Jr. batch 6 from 2016 132.5 proof...wondering if anyone has an opinion about this batch?

94406E5D-5E12-4D5A-A1BC-4B51EFA3AD0A (resized).jpeg94406E5D-5E12-4D5A-A1BC-4B51EFA3AD0A (resized).jpeg
    #3340 4 years ago

Any opinions on EC Barrel proof? It’s starting to pop up on the OHLQ site.

Have not tasted myself but this thread has praised it highly, don’t think you can go wrong with that one!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swillie.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon?tu=swillie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.